Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ?  (Read 622 times)

Offline sorta_there

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
?
« on: November 22, 2006, 05:03:26 PM »
hi im 15 and have had a right knee problem for a little over a year now. it started with 4 months of undiagnosed nerve damage, which was eventually found and treated. however after that pain was gone, my patella kept subluxing randomly and does a lot of popping/cracking. it also dislocates and my OS said that it is tilted. i have been to PT for a year or so now too. they finally ended it last week, explaining that my strengthening was better but i kind of "plateaued". i mean i was able to play soccer with it, but it still would become sore just during warm up laps, and i cannot rely on it to keep me up. i am going back to the OS dec. 7th to talk more about the surgery. i want to have it just because i want my knee to be back to how it was, but my parents see an improvement from before and dont want me to have it unless its necessary. the thing about the nerve block is that before they do the LR they will do a nerve block to prevent any more problems with the nerve damage. what do you guys think?

Offline pjbaker

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 05:29:52 PM »
Hey I just turned 18 and have had knee problems since I was 14 so I understand what you are going through. I had the exact problem as you and my parents and I chose to have a LR done on both of my legs, but it failed and I have since had to have two more surgeries on my left leg. I have heard that a LR is good if your patella is only tilted, but I didn't know this at the time of the surgery. Like you my patella subluxed a great deal and I also had dislocations. I don't recomend the surgery if you patella is subluxing or dislocating, but I am not a doctor either. I just know my experiences and if I can help anyone by letting them know my experiences about the LR surgery. I am now 5 weeks out from my last surgery and I am pain free for the first time in 4 years. Good Luck to you.

PJ
Chronic Dislocations since 14.
August 2004 - Right LR
November 2004 - Left LR
October 27, 2005 - Left VMO Advancement
October 20, 2006 - Left Fulkerson TTT SUCCESS!!!!
May 11, 2007 - Right Fulkerson TTT

brianne

Re: ?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 05:51:10 PM »
I understand your frustrations.  My knees began dislocating and subluxing when I was 12 years old.  I am now 24.  I had a LR four years ago that did not work.  I am four weeks out from a Fulkersons and I can already tell that it has fixed my misalignment problem.  Have you gotten a second opinion yet.  A LR will not fix a misaligned patella.

My advice is to do some research and get some additional opinions if you have not already done so.  If you are dealing with subluxing and dislocation, a LR will not be a qucik fix by any means.

support