Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Donor site pain after OATS  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Beauzer

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • I want to become the person my dog thinks I am
Donor site pain after OATS
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:07:38 PM »
I was wondering if anybody out there has any experience with donor site pain or has seen any articles related to it.

I had my OATS to the MFC (2 sq. cm) 05/2005 and they took two 1cm plugs from the lateral trochlear groove.  I never had any anterior or lateral pain before. Now that I'm 18 months out, I have occassional (and becoming more frequent) stabbing pain over my donor site, especially when going down stairs.  I also get some lateral pain that doesn't seem to be related to the donor site.  Not sure what's that's coming from. 

I knew that the harvest could cause arthritis in the donor area and I think I have it!  I still think it's a fair trade for being able to walk and stand without pain.
32 - R knee gone to hell
lat. meniscus 94
ACL, chondroplasty 98
Chondroplasty 99
Screw fell out into joint, med. meniscus, microfracture 99
MCL/med. capsule recon, med. meniscus 00
Chondroplasty 04
Chrondroplasty 1/05
OATS 4/05 for OCD lesion
AVN, MFC fracture 10/05

Offline brattkids

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • here's to a pain free tomorrow!!! Savvy
Re: Donor site pain after OATS
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 09:34:41 PM »
I am having similar problems in my donor site which was also the lateral trochlear groove. I am able to do the stairs ok but
 sometimes when I get up from a sitting position and the knee cap tracks in the groove it catches on the sites and ouchie!

I also have arthritis now from the donation harvest and my OS was very unhappy with the progression of it. I have done supartz with some success in taming the pain from that area. I am going back to the OS on the 4th of Dec and we will see where my progress is. I had my OATS in sept of 2005.

Paulette
4/04 microfracture
5/04 debris removal
8/04 OATS with synthetic plugs
11/04 OATS traditional autograft medial femoral chondyle
05/05 debris removal and OATS assessment
6/05 Cadaver Allograft OATS lateral femoral chondyle
9/05 OATS redone could not save allograft plug
12/2006 2007 and 2008 scop

Offline madel23

• Regular Poster
Re: Donor site pain after OATS
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »
I had microfracture to CORRECT a small defect in my lateral trochlear groove, because it was causing me a lot of problems (unfortunately, it still is). Seems like that would be a lousy donor site, if you are an active person at all.

support