Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bi-lateral Knee replacements on Friday 24th  (Read 1440 times)

Offline SGW

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bi-lateral Knee replacements on Friday 24th
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:02:54 PM »
Hi.  After a long history of cartilege trouble and knee ops over last 20 years I am now going for 2 new knees on Friday.  Scared to death but cannot go on with the continual pain in both knees.  I know its going to be difficult having both done together but am sure it will be better afterwards.  Have already got Social Services and Physios set up.  Any tips/advice from anyone who is further ahead would be much appreciated!  SGW

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Bi-lateral Knee replacements on Friday 24th
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 05:47:09 PM »
Wow - two shiny new knees!

Just want to wish the very best for Friday! and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep posting after your op so we can see how you are doing and help if you need it!

Just want to tell you that a friend of mine had a bilateral replacement done - he is 63 - and you know what - he was back at work at ten weeks!! and it's not a desk job - amazing - he loves his new knees and has a new life now! Hope yours is as successfull.

Best advice I can give is (and I only had one knee done) is keep up with  the pain meds and do your physio!

What is your history? and age where you live etc?

Very best wishes
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline SGW

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »
Dear Anja

thanks for the help.  I have only just started to look at this site and am having trouble finding out how to reply to you.  I went to hosp for the cross match blood tests today.  Its a 2 1/2 hour round trip for me.  I live in North Wales near Bangor and the hospital is at Yale, Wrexham.  I have had knee probs for over 20 years but never thought I would have to have new knees quite yet  - its always been in the future somewhere.  I am now 53 - they have been refusing to do them for the last 6 years but I can't wait any longer.  I am scheduled to go in hospital at 4 pm friday and the op is at 5 pm!  Still organising after care physio etc for when I get out.  We live on a 2nd floor flat so have not quite figured out how I will get up 44 stairs on the first day home but Consultant seems to think I will be ok.

Have always done loads of sport, dancing, hill walking, sailing including racing quite big yachts 40-45'.

I have an aim to get on my feet and raring to go by May to go back out to Greece to go sailing so will keep doing the exercises and physio.  At least I know what to expect from having cartiledge ops but never on both knees together before.

Sue

Offline DeborahinNC

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 07:00:36 PM »
Hi Sue,

Good luck on Friday.  There are lots of people on this site who understand and will be waiting to hear how you did.  Take care and let us know - I'll be thinking about you.

Deborah

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 09:17:40 PM »
Hi Sue
Well you managed the reply okay! and guess what - you will manage the stairs - they won't let you go home if you can't - how long is your stay in hospital? - I had my op on a monday afternoon and went home friday afternoon - expect you will get an extra few days. I was amazes ar how I was so able to use my new knee straight away. I saw my friend today that had both knees done - he is at 11 months and SOOOOO happy with them!

That is really good having something so good to aim for - I love sailing!

North Wales is beautiful - My daughter is at uni in Aberrytwyth - she loves the place - still amazed that she can surf and look at the mountains!

Wow they don't give you much time to get sttled in from arrival to actual op! barely time to get into that sexy gown!LOL

One good tip - make sure you are well up on the pain meds when you go for your drive home - that was one of the worst bits when I left hospital.

Good luck again - can't wait to hear how you are going post op!

anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline SGW

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 10:28:07 AM »
Dear Anja

1 day to go.  I've packed and unpacked at least a dozen times!  We will have a 65 mile jorney home from hospital plus the stairs - I am dreading it BUT as you say will get dosed up on pain relief.  Hope they can give me somehting strong as I am already eating co-codamol 2 x 4 a day like swets which are doing very little to relieve the pain in the knees.  I keep thinking it just can't be as bad after the op!

We have 2 vehicles. One a large Sprinter van and the other an old Merc saloon but the back doors don't open very far.  I am beginning to wonder whether the van may be a better bet with an extra step to get in.  He (my husband)) can always throw me in the back.  ha Ha.  Its our 33 yr wedding anniversary today - what a present!!  They say 1 week to 10 days in hosp but I have a feeling they will kick me next Friday morning 1st Dec ready for their next ops later that day.

thanks for the good wishes Deborah.  Will let you all know haow I get on.

cheers
Sue

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 01:47:21 PM »
Good Luck tomorrow!  Like Anja said, keep up witht the pain meds.  Stairs with both does will be problimtic,  you cna always do the sitting stair climb then you only have one or two real steps to do.

HUGs
Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline SGW

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 02:52:43 PM »
thanks Rozzie.  Not sure what the siting stair climb is but I am sure I will find out soon enough.  will report in when I get out of hospital unless I can find a connection at the hospital.

Cheers Sue

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 04:00:57 PM »
Good luck tomorrow. I was in only for a day yesterday and had nothing as major as you. It does help having a great husband to help afterwards!! I did the sitting stair thing as i had one flight of stairs to living accom. and the sister in charge said no to even one crutch (even though surgeon had okayed it!) It was a lot easier bumping up on my bum than trying to hobble up although my arms got sore (I'm not too light!) and the only thing I hadn't thought of was what to do at the top to get back up! My 2 year old thought it all looked very funny!

Hope it goes well tomorrow and that you will have nice new knees that stop aching real soon.

Itigo x
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »
If you have a chair on wheels like an office chair or such and you have someone befind the chair.  Get with you bum on the floor stand up and have someone put the chair behind you, and sit down.    It has worked for me many times.  Office chairs that adjust in hight work real best.

Rozzzie
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006