Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Any Diagnosis Help Please  (Read 700 times)

Offline Phil Newby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Any Diagnosis Help Please
« on: November 21, 2006, 11:16:52 AM »
Hi i've had an intermitant problem with my left knee for sometime now.
Generally i can walk as normal with no problem (i'm a mountaineer and by normal i mean upto 30miles up and down 2000m mountains.)

Symtoms include;
 (1) Knee giving way with sharp pain sometimes under load - potentially fatal on a mountain, but also sometimes in bed under no stress at all. feels like something is temporaraly in the wrong place deep inside. It then goes away leaving me with...
 (2) Knee feeling "nervous" and not wishing to straighten- tendons at back feeling tight, gental streching usualy sorts this out.

and a kind of possibly unrelated problem
 (3) A sharp stabbing pain across the surface of the knee from the front right side of the pattela.

I saw a physio for a few months and that was good really helped with point (2) above, she suspected a ruptured ACL but an MRI scan confirmed no obvious damage and that i have a very slack ACL. However being intermitant the problem (3) never really demonstrated itself when she was available.

This week i've had a few type (3) symptoms; however for the first time i noticed that the painful area was around a little lump, just in the indentation to the right of the patella and slightly lower than the middle of the pattella. As i was feeling this lump it pressed back into the knee like it was a little buldge of fluid or tissue that had popped through a layer of tissue where it shouldn't have been. This was a suprise and also returned the knee to near normal condition once it was back in place.

Does something like this have a name? and better still a cure?

Cheers in advance
Phil

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Any Diagnosis Help Please
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 12:27:27 PM »
When I hear your symptoms and describing I refer to myself..sounds like a meniscal cyst and these often comes along with a meniscus tear. Or just a swollen joint capsule. Are you on any antiinflammatories ?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:31:57 PM by Nettan »
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Phil Newby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 03:38:36 PM »
Hi, thanks for that - wouldn't the MRI Scan i had have picked that up? or can it be missed easily - partiularly if not popped out at the time?

I'm on no anti-inflamitories, as for most of the time there is no swelling nor pain.

phil

redtoblack

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
MRI'S are good at showing things that aren't there and missing things that are.  Let your pain be your guide.  Have you seen an OS?  If not, then you should.

Jordan

Offline Phil Newby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 02:05:35 PM »
Thanks, you've all been really helpful