Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 384180 times)

Offline Tehtoo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 12
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1575 on: October 14, 2018, 02:04:10 AM »
Turbo,
So sorry to read your plight.
Don't give up!
Debridement? Wow!
Sending positive vibes your way!
Don't give up!

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1576 on: October 25, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
Hello all, been a long tine since my last post.
History.
1/5/17 ruptured right quad   surgery 1/9/17
April 2017  Surgeon not happy with extension  MRI reveals quad is torn (again)
Revision surgery 4/18 with lysis of adhesions (massive scar tissue build up)
Pt all summer, but knee just would not bend, could barley ride the stationary bike.
Oct 2018 MRI showed 40% re tear.
Dec 2017 consulted with a new surgeon, that revealed patella baja.
Feb 28.2018  TTO surgery to correct patella baja and once again scar removal ( scar tissue attached to the patella tendon causing the baja)
Lots of PT I am now able to bend my knee to about 120-125 degrees. Very happy.

Now the downside. 
Because my quad is still 40% torn, I have a 22 degree extension lag, and my knee buckles 5-6 times per day. I have to focus on every step I take.  I have tried to resume normal everyday activities as much as possible. ( I am/was very active) but I still have trouble with uneven ground and downhill slopes.  If I over do it, my knee will swell and I limp stiff legged for a few days.

In my recent post op visits, we have been discussing a future quad revision surgery with an allograft sometime next year at the earliest. The surgeons believes that we could get within 5 degrees of full extension and correct the knee buckling.  We have discussed the benefits and all of the risks.   I am in my early 50s and I  wonder if this is as good as it gets, or can I get better.  I am in pain daily, stairs are a grind, but I an tackle them, be it slowly.   So now I am trying to decide if I will benefit from going thru a 4th major surgery 5th overall.

I know my situation is unique, but has anyone had success or difficulties having a revision surgery with a graft?

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1577 on: October 25, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »
History.
Pt all summer, but knee just would not bend, could barley ride the stationary bike.
Feb 28.2018  TTO surgery to correct patella baja and once again scar removal ( scar tissue attached to the patella tendon causing the baja)

Now the downside. 
Because my quad is still 40% torn, I have a 22 degree extension lag, and my knee buckles 5-6 times per day. I have to focus on every step I take.  I have tried to resume normal everyday activities as much as possible. ( I am/was very active) but I still have trouble with uneven ground and downhill slopes.  If I over do it, my knee will swell and I limp stiff legged for a few days.

In my recent post op visits, we have been discussing a future quad revision surgery with an allograft sometime next year at the earliest. The surgeons believes that we could get within 5 degrees of full extension and correct the knee buckling.  We have discussed the benefits and all of the risks.   I am in my early 50s and I  wonder if this is as good as it gets, or can I get better.  I am in pain daily, stairs are a grind, but I an tackle them, be it slowly.   So now I am trying to decide if I will benefit from going thru a 4th major surgery 5th overall.

I know my situation is unique, but has anyone had success or difficulties having a revision surgery with a graft?

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 131
« Reply #1578 on: November 30, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »
Officially 2 years, 2 months out from surgery. With daily PT, and regular PT appointments much of my strength has returned, but I continue to have problems with certain things. I have given up the cane entirely as of 8/1 save for very windy days or rainy days. I have problems with hills and those yellow raised bumps in the ground for blind people.

My walking however, is still another story as that has not yet returned to full 100% normal. I still can't run yet and PT has not cleared me for any travel away from home. However, I guess the good news is that I am down to going to PT once every three weeks now?

I wanted to keep everyone updated on my recovery and that things are going well. This weekend I'll be able to write a longer post. In the meantime, I found pictures from my surgery and subsequent skin necrosis / complications. Not for a weak stomach, so I've used an imgur link instead. If you want to click through, feel free, but don't say I didn't warn ya! These are the complications I suffered that still continue to cause me to suffer:

https://i.imgur.com/RYcPrrK.jpg

Offline Kevin_07

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1579 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/189625168653841/

I hope this is allowed, I started this FB group to interact and share our story, recovery, etc... I ruptured mine in August and re ruptured it again in October during therapy. Toughest thing I've ever dealt with. So far I'm 4 weeks post op and seems to be going well, but who knows, that's what I thought last time and it tore again without me even feeling it. Surgeon sent me for an MRI because my SLR had a good amount of lag and it was discovered.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 131
« Reply #1580 on: December 20, 2018, 10:33:16 AM »
At last. PT is over.

After approximately 22 months of PT, I have achieved approximately 80% of my normal strength, function, and ROM in my knee. My latest PT session on Tuesday 12/18/2018 is my last PT session...EVER. That just really sounds incredible when you think about it. Considering that I have been doing my PT exercises at home daily (on top of regular PT appointments) since 2/2017 to bring my knee back.

There is still some work to do to get back to 100%, but at this point all PT is doing is telling me to do the exercises. Their reasoning is that I don't need them to just tell me to do the exercises (this is absolutely true).

I walked around the extremely large PT centre the entire way using full weight on my quadriceps tendon like normal. Slightly slow of course (because I need to develop those regular walking habits again).

But, man - I never thought I'd get here. I am so excited to be done with PT. 

Offline Kevin_07

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1581 on: December 23, 2018, 07:56:35 PM »
History.

Now the downside. 

6 weeks ago I had a quad tendon revision with an allograft. It's too early to say I'm successful or not, I'm getting an mri in two weeks and will let you know what comes of it. I'll keep you posted.

Offline Kevin_07

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1582 on: December 23, 2018, 08:01:25 PM »
Can anyone tell me if the straps on the adjustable knee brace causes any indentations on their quadricep? There is a slight depression above my knee cap. My quadricep muscle is very atrophied from the injury and is like mush, I want to make sure it's plausible that the strap could do that. I am on my second surgery this year, so my quadricep is very weak. Thank you

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1583 on: December 23, 2018, 10:29:12 PM »
Kevin, Iím afraid a depression above the kneecap a fingerís breadth in width suggests a tendon rupture. Can you raise your lower leg whilst sitting?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1584 on: December 26, 2018, 12:51:51 PM »
History.

Now the downside. 

6 weeks ago I had a quad tendon revision with an allograft. It's too early to say I'm successful or not, I'm getting an mri in two weeks and will let you know what comes of it. I'll keep you posted.

Kevin,
Please keep me posted.  I am scheduled for the revision with an allograft the first week of March.

Offline Kevin_07

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1585 on: February 08, 2019, 08:13:14 PM »
History.

Now the downside. 

Kevin,
Please keep me posted.  I am scheduled for the revision with an allograft the first week of March.

Hi PEB65A.  I am 13 weeks post op at this point and its a very slow go.  I'm at 55 degrees active ROM and ambulating still with a cane, albeit with the brace off when indoors.  I can do multiple SLR with about 3-4 degrees extension lag, I can probably get about 12 of em in a row before my quad gets tired.  I had an MRI week 8 and the surgeon said that the repair looked good at that point.  I am getting another MRI next week, not because he thinks something is wrong, just for peace of mind to make sure the repair is strong. 

Before the second rupture I had an extension lag of approximately 30-35 degrees when doing a SLR. 

The surgeon went through the patella with the sutures this time with the allograft, instead of using anchors like my first surgery.  The anchors failed the first time.   

But if there is a silver lining and to answer your question, even though the recovery has been challenging and slow, it's still attached and I am progressing, albeit very slowly. 

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1586 on: February 18, 2019, 12:24:05 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks for sharing.  I have my appointment this week to go thru the details of the surgery.  Not looking forward to it, but I am told there will be better results than where I am currently. 

I will post in a few days. 

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1587 on: May 02, 2019, 02:28:45 PM »
Kevin,

Thanks for sharing.  I have my appointment this week to go thru the details of the surgery.  Not looking forward to it, but I am told there will be better results than where I am currently. 

I will post in a few days.

Well I had the surgery late last week. Quad tendon revision with y-v plasty using an achilles tendon. Surgeon said it went excellent.  I am a few days out. Pain has not been all that intolerable. 42 staples (not looking forward to them coming out) I am doing my time in the CPM machine as directed. Toe touch only. Being a good patient, as my poor wife has had to go thru this 4 times with me as well.  Waiting on the next step to rehab and hopefully get this leg stronger and put most of this nightmare in the rear view mirror.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1588 on: August 08, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »
Hello all. 
I had my 4th surgery 4/26. ( 3rd quad revision with allograft). Things were going well, till late June when my knee filled with fluid.  I had an scheduled post op scheduled for July so I brought it up then.   We had it drained that afternoon, they  tested for infections, that at the end of the week came back negative. That's the good news.

However the knee swelled with fluid again, so I had an MRI.  Those results came back that the quad ruptured yet again. 

Our last visit was the beginning of what we can do next. We have 4 options to think about, 2 really as 3 and 4 will never in the cards. So I am currently staying in my brace and continuing PT until Oct.  The next surgery as explained would be more grafts, more risk of infections, and success factors decline.

I am 53 and was very active prior to all of this nightmare.

I have some thinking to do in the next few months, and a lot of PT work to put in.

More to come.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #1589 on: August 11, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »
F#@k is the only word that comes to mind , PEB.  I havenít posted lately, so hereís an update.
  3x right quad rupture here. Went to Mayos for a  second 2 years ago but basically decided to get a tkr on my left knee , as it was becoming unbearable. That went pretty well. Kinda stiff but no real pain to speak of. Was going to get a transplant  in 2018 , but kinda chickened out, for lack of a better word. I got carved 3 times between nov 2016 and July of 2017 (that was the tkr), and have had enough. Plus I was feeling ok. Limited physically , but not hurting.

Well, I got sick of not being able to do the things I like. Was getting retired in May 2019 ( power plant I worked in was getting closed) , but since Iím 60 that wasnít the end of the world.  Was getting the ball rolling for the transplant when I got cellulitis in my right leg. Only good thing about that was it was in my quad leg and not my tkr leg. If it would have in tkr leg, they would have had to tear all the hardware out. Bad news is my doc said he wonít even consider doing anything until after the first of the year. So now I can ponder if I want to get it done or not.

Bottom line is this whole thing has taken a major toll on me. Probably as much mental as physical.  And my physical stamina gets taxed very easy. Point in case. Went to watch the Pack practice Tuesday , ( GB is bout 3 hours away), and was whipped for 3 days after. Thatís just a typical example.

Anyway, I wish I had some magical words of encouragment PEB, but I donít. There been more than once I wanted to say f it in last couple years. I know to some degree what your going thru. Pm me if you want to talk in private. Take care
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 01:17:57 PM by Barrjoe »