Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 366420 times)

Offline Tehtoo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 9
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1575 on: October 14, 2018, 02:04:10 AM »
Turbo,
So sorry to read your plight.
Don't give up!
Debridement? Wow!
Sending positive vibes your way!
Don't give up!

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #1576 on: October 25, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
Hello all, been a long tine since my last post.
History.
1/5/17 ruptured right quad   surgery 1/9/17
April 2017  Surgeon not happy with extension  MRI reveals quad is torn (again)
Revision surgery 4/18 with lysis of adhesions (massive scar tissue build up)
Pt all summer, but knee just would not bend, could barley ride the stationary bike.
Oct 2018 MRI showed 40% re tear.
Dec 2017 consulted with a new surgeon, that revealed patella baja.
Feb 28.2018  TTO surgery to correct patella baja and once again scar removal ( scar tissue attached to the patella tendon causing the baja)
Lots of PT I am now able to bend my knee to about 120-125 degrees. Very happy.

Now the downside. 
Because my quad is still 40% torn, I have a 22 degree extension lag, and my knee buckles 5-6 times per day. I have to focus on every step I take.  I have tried to resume normal everyday activities as much as possible. ( I am/was very active) but I still have trouble with uneven ground and downhill slopes.  If I over do it, my knee will swell and I limp stiff legged for a few days.

In my recent post op visits, we have been discussing a future quad revision surgery with an allograft sometime next year at the earliest. The surgeons believes that we could get within 5 degrees of full extension and correct the knee buckling.  We have discussed the benefits and all of the risks.   I am in my early 50s and I  wonder if this is as good as it gets, or can I get better.  I am in pain daily, stairs are a grind, but I an tackle them, be it slowly.   So now I am trying to decide if I will benefit from going thru a 4th major surgery 5th overall.

I know my situation is unique, but has anyone had success or difficulties having a revision surgery with a graft?

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #1577 on: October 25, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »
Hello all, been a long tine since my last post.
History.
1/5/17 ruptured right quad   surgery 1/9/17
April 2017  Surgeon not happy with extension  MRI reveals quad is torn (again)
Revision surgery 4/18 with lysis of adhesions (massive scar tissue build up)
Pt all summer, but knee just would not bend, could barley ride the stationary bike.
Oct 2018 MRI showed 40% re tear.
Dec 2017 consulted with a new surgeon, that revealed patella baja.
Feb 28.2018  TTO surgery to correct patella baja and once again scar removal ( scar tissue attached to the patella tendon causing the baja)
Lots of PT I am now able to bend my knee to about 120-125 degrees. Very happy.

Now the downside. 
Because my quad is still 40% torn, I have a 22 degree extension lag, and my knee buckles 5-6 times per day. I have to focus on every step I take.  I have tried to resume normal everyday activities as much as possible. ( I am/was very active) but I still have trouble with uneven ground and downhill slopes.  If I over do it, my knee will swell and I limp stiff legged for a few days.

In my recent post op visits, we have been discussing a future quad revision surgery with an allograft sometime next year at the earliest. The surgeons believes that we could get within 5 degrees of full extension and correct the knee buckling.  We have discussed the benefits and all of the risks.   I am in my early 50s and I  wonder if this is as good as it gets, or can I get better.  I am in pain daily, stairs are a grind, but I an tackle them, be it slowly.   So now I am trying to decide if I will benefit from going thru a 4th major surgery 5th overall.

I know my situation is unique, but has anyone had success or difficulties having a revision surgery with a graft?

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 128
« Reply #1578 on: November 30, 2018, 11:19:53 AM »
Officially 2 years, 2 months out from surgery. With daily PT, and regular PT appointments much of my strength has returned, but I continue to have problems with certain things. I have given up the cane entirely as of 8/1 save for very windy days or rainy days. I have problems with hills and those yellow raised bumps in the ground for blind people.

My walking however, is still another story as that has not yet returned to full 100% normal. I still can't run yet and PT has not cleared me for any travel away from home. However, I guess the good news is that I am down to going to PT once every three weeks now?

I wanted to keep everyone updated on my recovery and that things are going well. This weekend I'll be able to write a longer post. In the meantime, I found pictures from my surgery and subsequent skin necrosis / complications. Not for a weak stomach, so I've used an imgur link instead. If you want to click through, feel free, but don't say I didn't warn ya! These are the complications I suffered that still continue to cause me to suffer:

https://i.imgur.com/RYcPrrK.jpg

Offline Kevin_07

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1579 on: December 06, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/groups/189625168653841/

I hope this is allowed, I started this FB group to interact and share our story, recovery, etc... I ruptured mine in August and re ruptured it again in October during therapy. Toughest thing I've ever dealt with. So far I'm 4 weeks post op and seems to be going well, but who knows, that's what I thought last time and it tore again without me even feeling it. Surgeon sent me for an MRI because my SLR had a good amount of lag and it was discovered.