Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 468241 times)

Offline Chrisby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1530 on: April 28, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »
Thank you for all of your responses. I am in Leicestershire UK email [email protected]

Now at week 9 with no splint on which I have been a little nervous about.Seem to be getting a little more stable but ROM not really progressing beyond 55 deg. Told to walk normally with crutches and then one crutch over the next fortnight and push the ROM. Not finding this easy and stll walking straight legged from the hip. Now frustrated that I cannot bend the knee enough to get in the car.   

TVH  I am due to see the orthopaedic team down here in 5 weeks (week 14)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1531 on: May 02, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »
Hi Chrisby

Read your latest post - just a little word of warning - do not drive until you receive the ok from your OS, otherwise you will void the car insurance cover.  Otherwise your ROM is on line with expected physio.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1532 on: May 03, 2018, 12:52:21 PM »
Hello everyone.  Been a while since I have posted an update. So here goes.

9 weeks post op from 3rd surgery since 1/9/17 ( 2 quad repairs, and #3 TTO and quad repair).

The surgeon explained that the TTO, went perfect. He removed severe scar tissue  from the femur to the  quad. What he found was that my quad was attached medially and laterally, and the central area was unattached. It was pulled down with the patella baja.

Today I am at about 112 plus flexion while at PT. We have gone from opening the brace to 40 degrees to 60, and the plan is to go to 90 next week, if all goes well. I will also go down to one crutch. I am riding the bike with full revolution better than anytime after surgery #1 or #2 We have moved on in the protocol to build quad strength.

I know I skipped a lot of painful weeks, but we all know what they were like, and the weather here in the Northeast did not help.

I was also prescribed a JAS splint for helping with flexion. It arrives tomorrow. To me it looks like a torture device.  We will see.  Has anyone used one?

That's my quick update. Take care and keep moving forward.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1533 on: May 03, 2018, 02:10:45 PM »
Hi PEB65

Rehab going well   -   suggest you purchase from Amazon, a floor cycle - costs about $50 -35 - sit in your comfy chair and pedal away - I found it a godsend.

Best/JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #1534 on: May 04, 2018, 01:30:48 AM »
Sounds like we had the same thing going on PEB. Got enough attached where mine probably wont retear but not enough attached for full function. Going to try to bike this weekend so well see how that goes. Pretty crappy weather in the Yoop this spring as well. Not decided what im gonna do yet surgury wise. Probably retiring next June and will probably hold off until then if I can.

All and all, cant complain too much. Left (TKR) knee doing ok other than IT band flaring up occasionally. Hope everyone is on the mend. Take care all !!

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
« Reply #1535 on: May 14, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »
EDIT: I accidentally posted this in the patellar tendon thread. Oops!!! Here we go...right one this time.

My apologies for the lack of updates. Things have been busy!

But major event this past week: for the first time since I was injured on 8/28/2016, I can finally walk putting full, 100% weight on my right quad tendon 100% WITHOUT ASSISTANCE - NO walker, NO cane, nothing. I am finally able to walk, albeit somewhat clumsily disabledly, you know...but I am WALKING with some ability with both legs - a feat I have not been able to accomplish since the morning of 8/28/2016 when my injury happened.

So excited to FINALLY be getting strength, function, and ability back.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1536 on: May 14, 2018, 01:09:37 PM »
Hi TurboCoder3000

Well done, keep up the good work, it will nearly all come back in due time, keep posting - ask questions.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #1537 on: May 15, 2018, 05:07:58 PM »
Hello everyone. I noticed a pea sized bump underneath my patella at 17 weeks out from my QTR. My ortho explained to me it was the suture knots anchoring the repair. I asked if they would dissolve over time and she said no, they were permanent  and that's what really holds the whole repair together. She also stated the tendon never really attaches back to the patella strong enough on its own. I'm a little disheartened and confused as I thought the tendon healed in 12 weeks. I have about 120 flexion on a good day but walking is still painfull. Take care all.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1538 on: May 19, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
Finally started up PT again yesterday. After waiting for a new authorization and having to wait 2-3 weeks AFTER that for my PT appointment.

As things move forward even without having my PT appointments I have been pushing myself with my assigned PT exercises.

Of course, PT was blown away by my progress and several major things: of course they were blown away by the fact I can start to take real steps again with full weight on my quad tendon.

The major thing includes increased flexibility. The front of my knee cap at the top of the upper half of my lower leg is usually extremely stiff, and I experience uncomfortableness when PT does their thing with that area. Not anymore. That area is entirely flexible again and there is NO UNCOMFORTABLENESS anymore.

OH MY GOD it feels so amazing.

My ROM is at 96 by default and continues to improve. I have a lot of strength and functionality to build and regain, but I am on my way. I can't wait to return to normal and be able to walk like a normal person again.

It's coming. Oh my GOD it is finally going to be here shortly. I say within 2 months' time.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1539 on: May 23, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Let May 22, 2018 be the day that I have walked the full length of the hall back to my office at work doing full weight on my rt qt!

Not stopping, and fully walking the entire way. It has taken me 1 year and 9 months to reach this point, and I am finally HERE!

Now when I say fully walking I do mean with my cane. But, I am barely putting any weight on it as I do the exercise.

I'm finally walking with full weight on my right quad tendon. It's FINALLY COMING BACK!

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1540 on: May 24, 2018, 12:24:49 PM »
Let May 24, 2018 be the day that I have taken my first full steps with full, 100% weight on the front of my knee on my rt qt.

Without assistance. Without my cane or walker. I'm not walking normally, obviously, but the regaining of functionality on my road to recovery is huge. Considering just last week, I could not do this.

I can't believe it. It's finally coming back. And pretty rapidly, too.

For the first time since the morning of August 28, 2016 - I'm taking my first full steps without assistance.

Offline BendTheKnee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1541 on: May 27, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »
Awesome, TurboCoder!!  That's a great accomplishment :)

Offline Tvh3382

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 25
  • Bilateral Quadricep Rupture 14/2/18
« Reply #1542 on: May 29, 2018, 01:03:44 PM »
It is now 15 weeks since my bilateral quadricep tendon rupture and now managing to walk with crutches outside (very small distance) and walk inside the house unaided although I do walk like a penguin.  ROM in my knees is still not great with 73 degrees in left knee and 70 in right knee.  It seems there is a brick wall in the way when I try to bend them further.  Not back at work yet and still not allowed to go down steps.  Can manage to climb a 4 inch step.  Hope to have some actual hands on physio next week which may help to bend knees further.  Bought a ankle cycle but not able to use it yet.  Anyone else had difficulty in bending knees after 15 weeks?

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #1543 on: May 30, 2018, 08:31:56 PM »
It is now 15 weeks since my bilateral quadricep tendon rupture and now managing to walk with crutches outside (very small distance) and walk inside the house unaided although I do walk like a penguin.  ROM in my knees is still not great with 73 degrees in left knee and 70 in right knee.  It seems there is a brick wall in the way when I try to bend them further.  Not back at work yet and still not allowed to go down steps.  Can manage to climb a 4 inch step.  Hope to have some actual hands on physio next week which may help to bend knees further.  Bought a ankle cycle but not able to use it yet.  Anyone else had difficulty in bending knees after 15 weeks?
Tvh,  I'm in my 20th week and have finally managed 130. I started at exactly 18 at my first p.t.never in a million years did I think I would regain my motion. Waking up every day  knowing  I had  to stretch numerous times was and still is exhausting but it will pay of. I kept using the ankle cycle and moved it closer over time. Two very beneficial things were, sitting on something high enough to let your leg (s) hang against gravity. My leg would just hang at about 60-70 and lock, I put on a heavy boot and Over time it finally bent to 90 and I  knew I was on my way. Secondly, as Dan25 eluded to in an earlier post, laying on your stomach with a strap around your foot, slowly pulling really helped. If my rusty-frozen knee can bend yours can as well. Now focusing on building up my twig of a leg so I can walk with a normal gait.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1544 on: May 31, 2018, 03:46:34 AM »
Tvh,  I'm in my 20th week and have finally managed 130. I started at exactly 18 at my first p.t.never in a million years did I think I would regain my motion. Waking up every day  knowing  I had  to stretch numerous times was and still is exhausting but it will pay of. I kept using the ankle cycle and moved it closer over time. Two very beneficial things were, sitting on something high enough to let your leg (s) hang against gravity. My leg would just hang at about 60-70 and lock, I put on a heavy boot and Over time it finally bent to 90 and I  knew I was on my way. Secondly, as Dan25 eluded to in an earlier post, laying on your stomach with a strap around your foot, slowly pulling really helped. If my rusty-frozen knee can bend yours can as well. Now focusing on building up my twig of a leg so I can walk with a normal gait.

So how does it work when I start getting into years? What's the week conversion chart for 1 year, 9 months since my complete quad tendon tear?

Just joking. Although I know for all of us, this injury is everything BUT a joke.

support