Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 468193 times)

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 47
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1500 on: March 11, 2018, 04:21:34 AM »
Turbo, man you've been through the ringer. Only been on crutches for two months but my shoulders, back, and good knee have been paying the price. Lowering myself onto my recliner or the toilet without two legs have reeked some havoc.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #1501 on: March 11, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
I totally get the favoring the leg thing. Being "left legged" for 5 months or so did my left knee in. It was going anyway, but I definitely accelerated the process. Had it replaced in July and I estimate I'm probably 90 % healed. No real pain with it, just stiff occasionally. Figure my right (QT) leg at about 75% or so. Doubt if it's gonna get better unless I have another surgery. Since it don't hurt, just limited on what I can do, it's making that decision more and more difficult all the time. Think the deal breaker for me is gonna be if I ride my bike come spring. Which in the U.P. Can be anywhere from April to July

That being said, I have no doubt if I would have had one good leg with either one of these episodes, I'd be a lot farther along. Like I said in an earlier post, I figure I'm about a year behind where I should have been.

Hope it don't sound like I'm bitching, because the reality is a lot of worse things could have happened. Even when the quad went, 2 days earlier I must have climbed to the top of a 20 foot tank 6-8 times . If it would have went there, I would probably have gotten killed. The point I'm trying to make is that as long as we're on the right side of the grass, we got a chance to get better. And attitude got a lot to do with it.

Keep your chins up gang!

Ps, used a cane for 3 months, but for the life of me I dont remember what side I used it on

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:52:29 PM by Barrjoe »

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1502 on: March 12, 2018, 01:42:36 AM »
Barrjoe, glad to hear the TKR is serving you well. That's a tough call on another go at the QTR. Hopefully with time it won't be necessary.

Offline Tvh3382

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 25
  • Bilateral Quadricep Rupture 14/2/18
« Reply #1503 on: March 14, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
4 weeks ago today I slipped on ice and ruptured both my quadricep tendons.  Released from hospital after 3 weeks and now at home.  Both legs are in fixed cricket pad splints and can only banana board from bed to chair and back.  My wheelchair arrived today so can now move independently but still confined to one room.

Due to see surgeon next Thursday and see what is next.  Hope to move to the hinged splints but been advised that it will be another 6 weeks in these before I can start Physio properly and start walking again.  If it was only one leg it would have been so much easier.

Can lift one leg ok when laid down but still struggle to lift the othering the bed.  Would this be normal after 4 weeks.  Anyone else had to wait so long for Physio?

Phil

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1504 on: March 15, 2018, 12:53:24 AM »
Hey Phil, I started p.t. at about 3.5 weeks post op. Around week 5 was asked to try the straight leg lift, leg would not budge. I  Was very concerned but kept at it and can finally do multiple sets of 20. I have a burning pain all across the patella, but everyday I get more reps before the pain kicks in. My biggest problem at this point is r.o.m. I'm stretching continually  throughout the day but gaining flexion very slowly.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1505 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:00 AM »
Hey Phil, I started p.t. at about 3.5 weeks post op. Around week 5 was asked to try the straight leg lift, leg would not budge. I  Was very concerned but kept at it and can finally do multiple sets of 20. I have a burning pain all across the patella, but everyday I get more reps before the pain kicks in. My biggest problem at this point is r.o.m. I'm stretching continually  throughout the day but gaining flexion very slowly.

Just keep at it and don't skip your stretches. For me, my knee was very stiff for a long time, then I made a lot of gains in a short time (like 2 weeks I went from 80 ROM to 115 ROM). Just last week I went from stretching out the leg daily and hobbling around in the straight brace to taking the brace off and walking around without it and being perfectly fine. I did have a bit of a scare today while shoveling. Thankfully I put the brace on in locked position so when my knee buckled a bit, it was caught quickly before anything bad happened. Take it easy out there.

Just keep at it and listen to your PT and the ROM will come. For the first 6 weeks I wasn't able to do the straight leg lifts, then it just happened out of nowhere. It does get frustrating, but being 12 weeks out from surgery now, it is a lot better and I'm starting outpatient PT tomorrow, so there is a light at the the end of the tunnel.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1506 on: March 15, 2018, 02:21:12 AM »
That's awesome Dan, your progress is encouraging. We're getting killed here in Mass. with the snow. This is the first time in my twenty years of home ownership I've had to hire it out. Good times.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:22:44 AM by Jlguthrie »

Offline Tvh3382

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1507 on: March 15, 2018, 07:59:47 AM »

Does seem that many manage to start Physio well before the time Iím being told.  I assume because it is both knees.  Will report back after seeing surgeon next week.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1508 on: March 15, 2018, 10:53:38 AM »
We are getting killed here in Mass with the storms.  Now they are saying another storm Tue/Wed.  I will get to all the downed trees in June. 

Update. 

Just over 2 weeks from round 3. I had to reschedule suture removal until Fri due to the blizzard on Tue. Thankfully we did not lose power, so I have been putting in my hrs on the CPM machine. I have had less pain with this surgery, so I am very pleased with that.  2 weeks done with no weight bearing, 6 more to go. 
Hang in there everyone. 

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #1509 on: March 15, 2018, 07:43:09 PM »
Hi everyone,
Guess just when I thought I was getting somewhere a setback occurs. Getting a stabbing pain in my left (tkr) knee occasionally. Been going on for a week or so. Was told itís my IT band (whatever the f that is!) .  More fustrating than anything. My employer changed insurance carriers for Fmla and getting a hold of them was a real treat as well. Seven (insert f bomb here) operators before I talked who I needed to. To no avail I might add!

Anyway, good to hear that things are going ok peb. And Phil, donít worry about  what you can and cannot  do yet. Hope the weather passes for all as well. Unusually quiet on the weather front in the Yoop, but that too shall pass.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1510 on: March 16, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
Peb,  gonna be a lot of clean up come spring. Hopefully I'll be a little more functional by then.P.t had me at 70 degrees today,slow but still moving forward.

Barrjoe, funny you mentioned the I.T.band. That's been a major source of my pain while stretching. After doing some research, it can be a whole other problem with or without the QTR.

Take care all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:09:19 PM by Jlguthrie »

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1511 on: March 16, 2018, 05:14:38 PM »
Peb,  gonna be a lot of clean up come spring. Hopefully I'll be a little more functional by then.P.t had me at 70 degrees today,slow but still moving forward.

Barrjoe, funny you mentioned the I.T.band. That's been a major source of my pain while stretching. After doing some research, it can be a whole other problem with or without the QTR.

Take care all.

As much as I want and need to get out with the chainsaw, I know I physically I am no where near able to do it.  Again that new word patients comes up. 
They are starting to play up next weeks storm.  Great.  Off to get sutures removed and a face to face update on how the surgery went.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1512 on: March 16, 2018, 08:39:39 PM »

Take care all.

As much as I want and need to get out with the chainsaw, I know I physically I am no where near able to do it.  Again that new word patients comes up. 
They are starting to play up next weeks storm.  Great.  Off to get sutures removed and a face to face update on how the surgery went.

I am so sick of the snow. I was clearing the 2 feet off of my car the other day when my knee buckled. Thankfully I was wearing the brace and was able to catch myself before anything happened. I had my first outpatient PT visit and it went well. I'll be doing that on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the next few weeks. Hopefully I won't need it long term.

Seriously though, no more snow.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1513 on: March 17, 2018, 02:36:31 AM »
Peb, hopefully you got some good news from the doc, and you can move forward.

Dan,  seeing my wife and kids do snow removal kills me. I've always been the guy, this injury truly sucks.

Offline Tvh3382

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1514 on: March 24, 2018, 08:09:32 AM »
Just over 5 weeks since my bilateral quadricep rupture and saw the surgeon last Wednesday.  Rigid cricket bat splints removed and replaced with the hinged splints with ROM set at 0 to 60.  Due to go back in three weeks where it will be changed to 0 to 90 ROM.  Managed to walk for the first time with splints on but not very far.  Only exercises I can do are tensing my quadriceps whilst led flat and sliding my feet on the floor without the braces on.  Still not much ROM in both knees but assume will come with time.   Good thing is I donít need to sleep in them but has made sleeping a bit harder at first.  I could kill for a full nights sleep and a shower.

Hope everyone elseís recovery is going well.  Itís a long road but we will get there even if we have a few backward steps.  Excuse the pun😀😀