Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 468140 times)

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1485 on: March 04, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »
Good to hear from ya, peb. Had similar pain after quad tear 1.0. Gradually got better in 10 days or so, but the first few days were a mf’er.

Doing ok here, all things considered. Took my first walk outside in a year and a half and it felt great. Did about 3 miles yesterday and today. My left (TKR) knee is started to feel pretty good. Not 100% by any means, but significantly improved. Right (quad tear) is doin ok. Actually did a leg lift yesterday, which hasn’t been possible .

Anyway, good to hear from ya peb. Get well so you can find some mud with the Jeep soon.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1486 on: March 04, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »
Thanks Joe.  I am just clad they were able to include the quad. I'm putting in the hrs in the CPM machine. 

As for the jeep, I have it up for sale.  Wife has a 2017, ao we do not need 2. Plus no driving for me anytime soon.

talk later.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
« Reply #1487 on: March 05, 2018, 06:09:01 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about all your situations involving your injuries, Dan, PEB, and Joe.

Here's hoping all of you recover as quickly as possible!!! The last year and 6 months have been hell for me and I am just now finally getting closer to normal.

Major breakthrough last night: I am finally walking close to normal with my walker. I can put my finger on the definite major improvement in muscle function that has taken place. I am able to walk fluidly, alternately with both legs using my walker. I think very soon I will be able to do the same without my cane. Although, I am working to transition there as well.

Man is this thing a constant battle. For a year and 6 months, it has been constant prevention of not participating in real life activities in order to save my knee and not injure it again. I will be overjoyed when I can return to life activities without a care in the world.

My PT says it will be approximately 6 more weeks of PT twice a week (on top of work, on top of client projects) in order to get to the point where I can do these exercises on my own and continue the work on my own. After that I will only need PT once every few weeks. I think I can deal with that.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1488 on: March 06, 2018, 12:28:24 PM »
Morning all.  6 days post op x3.  I have cut down on pain meds  yesterday.  Have not done to bad with the transition.
 I start PT today.  Not sure what we will do, as the earliest I started  PT before was 6 weeks.  But I am already bending with the CPM machine.

More to come.  Be safe out there.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1489 on: March 07, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
Good morning all.

The past couple days have not been good days. I have had overall muscle weakness to the extreme. And my legs are no better. Had to use my cane exclusively Monday. Today was much better, but still not up to par. Must be the combination of little rest and a lot of work I've been doing.

I don't like when it fluctuates like this. ;(

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1490 on: March 07, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
Hi TurboCoder3000

PATIENCE is required - tough I know, there are lots of ups and downs, but you will get there in the end.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1491 on: March 09, 2018, 11:49:07 AM »
Hi TurboCoder3000

PATIENCE is required - tough I know, there are lots of ups and downs, but you will get there in the end.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Thank you, John!! Yes, indeed - patience is required. Had a much better day yesterday. I have improved quite significantly on many of my exercises at PT. I am also improving in my walking. Soon, I will finally be able to walk without my cane 100%.

Soon!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1492 on: March 09, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
Hi TurboCoder3000

You might find from practice, that you might lose a small percentage because a small pice is lost from the tendon during the operation, so anything from 90ROM  is a bonus.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1493 on: March 10, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
Hi TurboCoder3000

You might find from practice, that you might lose a small percentage because a small pice is lost from the tendon during the operation, so anything from 90ROM  is a bonus.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

I'm OK with that. As long as I can return to full strength and get to walking close to normal, I'll be very happy.

By the way, a strange issue: my therapist has recommended that I use my cane on my left side, rather than on my right (my surgery knee). His reasoning is that it will better help with balance, and that will reduce my risk of falling. It adds an extra point of balancing.

But, when I use my cane on my right side (my surgery knee) I find that I have BETTER balance and I also walk better by doing so. When things improve so drastically, why do I have to use it on my left side (opposite my surgery knee)? It just seems very contradictory (since using it on my right actually does the same thing - it adds the point of balance). Also, I feel way more secure, and more easier able to walk with it on my right side. I am also putting much more weight and using my right knee way more by doing this. I don't see how that can be bad. So, I don't know what to believe at this point.

Quite honestly, I think that explanation is full of s**t. What do you think John?

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1494 on: March 10, 2018, 05:56:38 PM »
Turbo, the only thing I can think of is that they want you to fully use the leg. If you have the cane on the bad leg side, you might put less pressure on it which would prolong the recovery. Just my thoughts for whatever they're worth.

As for my prognosis. Had a checkup this week and they unlocked the brace. It feels good to walk around with my knee actually flexing for the first time in 3 months. The biggest victory was this morning when I showered standing up for the first time since I tore the quad and it was such a good feeling. The shower bench did its job, but it's just not the same as a normal shower. I have a followup with ortho in 2 weeks and hopefully I'll get the brace removed entirely.  In home pt is discharging me this week and I'm going to do outpatient pt to strengthen the leg.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1495 on: March 10, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »
Turbo, the only thing I can think of is that they want you to fully use the leg. If you have the cane on the bad leg side, you might put less pressure on it which would prolong the recovery. Just my thoughts for whatever they're worth.

As for my prognosis. Had a checkup this week and they unlocked the brace. It feels good to walk around with my knee actually flexing for the first time in 3 months. The biggest victory was this morning when I showered standing up for the first time since I tore the quad and it was such a good feeling. The shower bench did its job, but it's just not the same as a normal shower. I have a followup with ortho in 2 weeks and hopefully I'll get the brace removed entirely.  In home pt is discharging me this week and I'm going to do outpatient pt to strengthen the leg.

Dan - but that's just the thing - with my cane on the bad leg side, I am fully using the leg. It's when it is on the left side that I have a tendency to "protect" the leg and otherwise not allow it to be fully used, if that makes sense.

Weird, I know? But that's how it feels, anyway. I put way more weight on my leg doing it that way and I feel safer to do so.

Isn't it amazing to finally be able to take a shower? I couldn't take a shower for around 8 months until I could fully remove my brace on 3/24/2017. Only sponge baths in my chair. It was aahhh-mazing!!

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #1496 on: March 10, 2018, 11:27:12 PM »
Turbo,  I used a cane on my bad leg side a few years ago for a different surgery, guess I was doing it wrong as well. Dan,  congrats on the shower. I purchased a shower chair and almost fell trying it, so it's been birdbaths  since January 3rd. Are you you still on crutches? I'm full weight bearing now at a little over eight weeks, but still use crutches per the doc. Jealous of your r.o.m.,  I'm still in the 60's gaining slowly.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1497 on: March 11, 2018, 01:50:07 AM »
Turbo,  I used a cane on my bad leg side a few years ago for a different surgery, guess I was doing it wrong as well. Dan,  congrats on the shower. I purchased a shower chair and almost fell trying it, so it's been birdbaths  since January 3rd. Are you you still on crutches? I'm full weight bearing now at a little over eight weeks, but still use crutches per the doc. Jealous of your r.o.m.,  I'm still in the 60's gaining slowly.

I never had crutches. They gave me a walker which I stopped using a while ago. I was using a shower bench which was half in and half out of the shower. I'm also only 30 so I have youth on my side. Don't get discouraged, just keep progressing. Any step forward, no matter how slow, is a good thing.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #1498 on: March 11, 2018, 03:38:56 AM »
Dan,  thanks for the encouraging words. Had my knee scoped four years ago ( meniscus -cartilage) a cakewalk compared to this, but even then regaining flexion took some time. Hope everyone is healing well.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1499 on: March 11, 2018, 03:41:26 AM »

I never had crutches. They gave me a walker which I stopped using a while ago. I was using a shower bench which was half in and half out of the shower. I'm also only 30 so I have youth on my side. Don't get discouraged, just keep progressing. Any step forward, no matter how slow, is a good thing.

I was on full crutches the entire time from September 21, 2016 - March 24, 2017 with varying degrees of non-weight bearing and weight-bearing. Not fun at all. Got so bad I had to go to appointments in a wheel chair. Not ever doing that again.

:'(  :'(  :'(  :'(