Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 467276 times)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1440 on: February 03, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »
I finally GOT A JOB!!!! I finally get to go into the weekend again with a job, and not have to go two days waiting for people to get back to work to read my resume`.

John - thank you for posting about the cycle. Because I'm back at work I can't exactly get up every hour or two to walk around. So I have been looking for something I can use to counteract that. This sounds like the perfect thing and my floor cycle will be here tomorrow.

My Physical Therapists have mentioned none of this about a floor cycle during the past two months I've been working with them on recovery, and none of my PTs have mentioned a floor cycle throughout my entire ordeal. WTH!! They want to do knee manipulation without at least attempting a way to loosen up my knee and gain strength in my walking such as a floor cycle.

How do they not know about this? I'm at 90 degrees ROM so I should be able to do the floor cycle just fine, and because it's horizontal it's not quite like a regular bike so that should help a LOT and help increase my ROM right John?

EDIT: Update - 101 degrees. Not 90. Sorry about that.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:16:12 PM by TurboCoder3000 »

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1441 on: February 04, 2018, 04:28:14 AM »
Making good progress with PT. The PT wanted me to be at 90 degrees ROM by Valentines day. Well last week was washed out due to the hospitalization, but PT came today and did his thing. I was at 86 degrees ROM today, so 90 by next week should be a piece of cake. The knee is still super tight, so there will be a lot more PT in my future.

Congrats on the employment Turbo!

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #1442 on: February 05, 2018, 06:13:08 AM »
Looking for some advice or knowledge...

My PTs are asking that I go to my orthopedist.  I will but orthopedist always just tells me to work with the PTs.  They think some of my issues might not be from the injury.  I canít imagine it isnít but ovbiously just want answers and direction.

I have most of my pain below the kneecap.  I also have frequent buckiling when I walk.  (And a lot of creaking and crackling when straightening or going downstairs with both knees). Just for reference, I am about 5months from surgery and didnít start strengthening until after 3 months.

The weakness seems to be below the knee.  I notice the buckiling and lacking strength when I have my knee slightly bent and on my toes.  And also sometimes just walking while landing slightly bent.  It is really scary to think about falling or just worrying about walking around. 

Thanks for the help!

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #1443 on: February 05, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »
Mom, I too had my right knee buckle a fair amount after my first rupture. Was told it was just my quad ďfiringĒ by PT. Wasnít too worried about it until it reruptured 12/30/16. Trying to recall , but donít think I had much pain in my lower knee cap at anytime since I first got hurt about 15months ago.

Right now, my knees are a better weather predictor than Jim Cantorri. I start aching about a day before a new front comes in. And this winter in the Yoop has been the most bipolar winter I can recall. Itís either below zero (normal) , or 30 plus and rain at least 4 times (not normal), since the first of the year.

Bottom line what Iíve figured out, is that our injuryís are not the norm for what mds and therapist are used to dealing with. Our symptoms and problems are only slightly more unique to them as they are to us. In my case, i was only the second quad rerupture and the first three time that my ortho office has ever seen. They probably got a least a dozen md Ďs out of that office. I know that iím From a relatively small area but iím Sure the percentages are close to the same where ever weíre from.  Iíve been only walking , as far as pt goes, since october. 15 to 20 miles a week. I used to do over double that so it feels like Iím doing nothing but so be it. Guess whatever ailments I got I gotta deal with and fight thru them. Not always easy! And right now my mindset is if it goes again, so be it.

Anyway, good luck to all. Sorry about the Pats, my New England friends. Hell of a game though

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1444 on: February 06, 2018, 01:05:55 PM »
Joe,

The pain from the loss is not easy...

So I'm now 3 weeks until  TTO surgery for the patella baja. My 3rd surgery in 13 months. The baja is a result of the scar tissue from the 2 quad surgeries. They are related , but separate issues. The surgeon said that they will look at the quad revision when they are doing the TTO , but warned me that the rehab protocols are very different.  I am trying to be positive, but I have nightmares to waking up hearing we will need to repair the quad tear in a few months.

I have been walking every AM at work when I get in to try and keep my leg as strong as possible.  I am lucky enough to be able to walk almost 1.5 miles end to end down the halls at work. The only issue is the 3 sets of stairs up and down, they are killers not being able to bend my knee. 

I am not looking forward to having to be non weight bearing for 6 to 8 weeks.  Never mind all of the other fun that we all know goes along with it.

Lets hope spring and better weather comes soon. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:40:10 PM by PEB65A »

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1445 on: February 06, 2018, 10:28:23 PM »
Know what you mean about no weight bearing, Peb.  Was in cast for 6 plus weeks  last winter plus  in a brace for 6 weeks before that last winter. Only drove about 2 weeks from November until March last year. That was worse than getting hurt.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #1446 on: February 07, 2018, 02:46:20 AM »
New here to the forum, injured Jan.4th by pulling back on my snowblower, slipping on ice folding my right leg.Surgery 5 days later for a ruptured quad tendon, hard cast for 2 weeks, now in a brace set to 20 degrees toe touch weight bearing on crutches . I've gone to p.t. only once because it's snowed the night before of two of my sessions. At 4 weeks post op. Is it normal to still be using a strap to get my log, I mean leg onto bed,couch, etc.Tendon area seems to really tighten up at night. Ortho. Was pretty vague on dealing with day to day survival. I had never even heard of this injury, and reading the last 97 pages I am truly sorry but grateful to hear  :)all your experiences. Any feedback would be truly appreciated.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1447 on: February 07, 2018, 09:14:52 AM »
Hi Jlguthrie

Welcome to the RQT thread on KneeGuru

Yep, you are in for a long haul to recovery, with highs and lows - you have done well to read previous posts and no doubt you have gleaned various questions to your OS/PT.

ASK Questions, thats when  your buddies will give you advice

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1448 on: February 07, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »
Joe,

I know I'm with you.  I did'mt drive from Jan till late March, then I got a tease for 3 weeks before surgery #2 in April. Got back to it in early July.  Hate not being able to have that freedom.  I need to get my fill of driving in the next 3 weeks. 

Jlgutrie  welcome. 

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1449 on: February 07, 2018, 04:54:30 PM »
I haven't driven since my surgery on December 17th, but I haven't really needed to either. I have a follow up appointment with my Orto on Feb 13th, so I'll ask if/when I can drive again as my left leg is coming along pretty well and I should be able to get it into my car.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1450 on: February 07, 2018, 07:14:08 PM »
Thank you for the welcome to this "exclusive" club. Barr Joe and PEB65A  so sorry for your retears, and good luck with your future  surgeries. Reading your stories makes me wish they had kept me in the full cast longer like some of the earlier posts. P.t. on Saturday so we'll  see what r.o.m. they can get.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1451 on: February 07, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
Thank you for the welcome to this "exclusive" club. Barr Joe and PEB65A  so sorry for your retears, and good luck with your future  surgeries. Reading your stories makes me wish they had kept me in the full cast longer like some of the earlier posts. P.t. on Saturday so we'll  see what r.o.m. they can get.

Welcome. The biggest thing I've found is that you have to take it one day at a time. I've been doing PT for a few weeks now and haven't been able to lift my leg, even in the brace. Then yesterday the PT had me try again, and to my surprise, I was able to lift the leg with relative ease (in the brace). Just take it slow and do what they tell you to do. It's going to be a long recovery, but it does get better.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1452 on: February 08, 2018, 12:57:30 AM »
Dan, thanks for the encouragement and congrats on the leg lift. Can't  wait to get to that point.I have three months left of paid leave so I'm praying for a miracle.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1453 on: February 08, 2018, 11:55:59 AM »
As to what Dan said, donít get discouraged but donít expect miracles. I know that sounds like a contradiction but it has been nothing short of the truth for me. I figure  physically iím Where I should have been last April. Granted, having to get my left knee replaced didnít help matters. Kinda seeing how things go for peb before I decide what I  do next. Thatís the godsent part of this forum for me. Everyone is different here. Thereís a guy who was workin 3 days after surgery and others who  are still struggling.

Just a quick note peb. Packer fan/owner (minority share holder :) ) here and I totally feel your pain. In Green Bayís case, I donít remember the Super Bowl wins, but the 6-7 times you were good enough to win it all but didnít. But, thereís a bunch of fans who would love to have that problem. 

Good luck to all!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:03:43 PM by Barrjoe »

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
« Reply #1454 on: February 10, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
Barrjoe posted:

Thatís the godsent part of this forum for me. Everyone is different here. Thereís a guy who was workin 3 days after surgery and others who  are still struggling.

=========================

I wish I were able to be back to normal 3 days after my surgery!!! Damned complications.  >:(

Anyway. Massive progress finally happening in several different areas:

First major improvement: I was able to bend to 90 degrees at my first arrival to PT. Usually I start out at 80 degrees at first arrival. They didn't have to work on it first to reach that.

I have a new PT. Since beginning work, my older PT guys don't have the luxury of working after 6:00 pm. My new PT is doing something different: working on my knee using the feather touch approach. Apparently if we do that instead of constant, hard-push approaches, I won't subconsciously fight it. So far, I can feel a major difference in how my knee works, including being easier to stretch.

1. Last night, for the first time in 1 year and 7 months, I was able to walk into one of my favorite restaurants (Pick Up Stix) without using my cane. I was simply holding it while I walked.
2. I can bend and be flexible while walking every time now. Timing has always been an issue for me but I have noticed a big difference in  my flexibility and timing while walking.
3. Other little differences that keep coming.

I really feel like I'm finally going to be over this thing soon.

support