Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 468270 times)

Offline vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 453
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1410 on: December 30, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
FYI, You need 20 posts before you can reply to private messages   :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09 (lat meniscus, lat condyle defect)
LK scopes 8/2/10 & 16/12/10
RK scope 5/2/15 (menisectomy, Hoffa’s fat pad trim)
LK scope 10.1.19 medial meniscectomy, trochlea MFX
LK scope 19.4.21 MFX to both condyles & trochlea, patella cartilage shaved, viscoseal, depo-medrone

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1411 on: December 30, 2017, 09:27:16 PM »
Thank you.  I emailed contacts and they got right back to me.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #1412 on: December 31, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »
Thanks PEB. My ortho mentioned the Baja thing. Didn’t have a clue what he was talking about but I assumed it wasn’t somewhere to take my Jeep.

Anyway, i’ll Get  back here in the next few days and here’s hoping 2018 ain’t as f*cked up as 2017 was.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1413 on: December 31, 2017, 01:29:32 PM »
Barrjoe,

Happy New Year.  I m on to 2018.5.  Ask for an Xray for the Baja. 

As for the Jeep.  Its just a Jeep thng.  We have 2.  Just can't get rid of mine. 

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
« Reply #1414 on: January 01, 2018, 01:26:44 AM »
Happy New Year, everyone!

For the very first time since my surgery deal began, I went outside and walked 100% unassisted without my cane. I went up and down my driveway, and halfway down the street - all without my cane, all without anyone near me.

I can't believe it!!!! I'M FINALLY GOING TO BE OVER THIS THING!!!

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1415 on: January 01, 2018, 03:09:08 PM »
Turbo,
Happy New Year. Thats a nice way to start. 

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1416 on: January 01, 2018, 03:09:22 PM »
Turbo,

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1417 on: January 01, 2018, 08:19:42 PM »
Turbo,

Thank you, PEB :)

New updates and more things finally happening: for the first time since my surgery 1 year and 4 months ago, I am finally 100% walking without my cane away from home. I went to the grocery store this morning and I was able to go 100% without my cane or any assistance whatsoever.

It feels incredible. I can't believe it's finally happening.

Offline Eboh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #1418 on: January 01, 2018, 11:28:25 PM »
 Hi everyone, happy new year to you all!

I knew I hadn't been here for a while, but didn't realize it had been this long...
I see there's a lot of new people - I'm sorry you needed this site!

The good news is that my quad hasn't ruptured again. (Complete right quad rupture in October -16 - surgery after almost 3 weeks - and re-rupture late February -17. Because I saw a question about it further up: Three sutures through patella - and suture anchors - at the first repair, and 5 at the other + soft cast for three weeks, then a fixed brace for 6.) ;)

Since September I've finally been able to work out enough to improve my general strength and fitness, not only doing pt for my quad. I emphasize and celebrate all achievements and progress.
If anyone remembers me, perhaps you'll know that I have quite a few health problems aside from the quad rupture, which means I have plenty of room for improvement in many areas!  :)

I've spent the first three weeks of December at an inpatient physical rehabilitation facility, and am going back there for two weeks from tomorrow. (I guess this is where I should praise the joys of living in a country with practically free healthcare...)
My main goal for the stay is learning to climb stairs properly again. They even have a "training staircase" with low steps.  ;D  Some days I succeed, even with the "proper" stairs.
Secondly, they aim to put a brake on my new fear of falling...
I take part in several different exercise classes chosen for my needs every day, even hand exercise for my arthritis!
I've got "my own" p.t. who, despite a young age, has experience with and expertise on tendon ruptures, even quadriceps and patellar ones. (He's done his master degree on sport injuries, particularly among alpinists.)
He keeps telling me that I have achieved enough strength to move on to more functional training, so there we are now. "Don't worry about ROM and extension - focus on what you need your leg to be able to do. That's what we're working on!"
Before I went home for Christmas, I managed to do squats on only my right leg. That's a huge step forward!
I promised the pt to go for at least one walk on one of our local beaches during the holiday, and a few days ago my son joined me for this. Yet another hurdle passed, lovely!
We have a lot of really beautiful beaches in South-western Norway, and this is something I've really missed. It was also the first time I've walked there without a dog.  :'( 
The next big steps ahead are already planned.
I went to work out at my usual pt's the other day, and he was really happy with the progress I've made in such a short period of time.

All in all, at this point I'm doing far better than anticipated after the re-rupture. I love proving the doctors wrong.  ;D
I mostly walk without a limp, and neuropathic pain in my legs stops me before the knee does (I'm not able to walk very far, though - but at least I'm able to ride a stationary bike). I don't know what I'd do without my central nerve stimulator.
Steep hills and stairs still slow me down, but I don't shy away from them anymore - at least not as much as before. I do look forward to bare and ice-free ground, though...  :-\
The knee still gets painful and swollen after strenuous exercise, but I try to look upon this as a reminder about being patient. I didn't get any patience for Christmas either, unfortunately.
I've more or less started to regard the injury as a blessing for forcing me back to exercising: I had forgotten how much I enjoy it!

TurboCoder: I am so, so  happy for you!  :)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1419 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »
Some great progress there, eboh!!! Amazing!!

Major progress still happening, and a major milestone reached at yesterday's physical therapy session:

For the first time since my surgery nightmare started over a year ago, I walked up to my physical therapy session entirely unassisted. I was only carrying my cane, and never used it once. I also walked down exactly the same way.

I really think I'm finally going to beat this thing.

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #1420 on: January 06, 2018, 12:06:12 AM »
Glad for your successes, Eboh and Turbo!  Peb - I hope the 1st 6 months are smooth and quick so you can start 2018.5

I am trying to focus on positives.  Nice to be driving and getting around better.  I can bend to 120 degrees.  And I am starting to walk around the house with the brace removed.

And although I understand the additional difficulties many have had, I still am concerned a bit about it all.  My knee buckles quite often when I am out of the brace (and sometimes in it).  It is scary to think about falling, but I am more concerned about something like that being a lasting symptom.  I also get a lot of pain and weakness right under the knee - maybe where sutures would be.  It keeps me from really being able to do any squats and the knee really crunches when I straighten it.

The “good” leg doesn’t feel so good.  I probably partially tore thenwuad tendon in that leg 2 years ago and just didn’t go to a doctor that properly diagnosed it.

I don’t really want to think about adjusting to a “new normal”. But that might just have to be.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1421 on: January 06, 2018, 12:52:03 AM »
Glad for your successes, Eboh and Turbo!  Peb - I hope the 1st 6 months are smooth and quick so you can start 2018.5

I am trying to focus on positives.  Nice to be driving and getting around better.  I can bend to 120 degrees.  And I am starting to walk around the house with the brace removed.

And although I understand the additional difficulties many have had, I still am concerned a bit about it all.  My knee buckles quite often when I am out of the brace (and sometimes in it).  It is scary to think about falling, but I am more concerned about something like that being a lasting symptom.  I also get a lot of pain and weakness right under the knee - maybe where sutures would be.  It keeps me from really being able to do any squats and the knee really crunches when I straighten it.

The “good” leg doesn’t feel so good.  I probably partially tore thenwuad tendon in that leg 2 years ago and just didn’t go to a doctor that properly diagnosed it.

I don’t really want to think about adjusting to a “new normal”. But that might just have to be.

These are the things I'm worried about too. I guess we just have to be patient and take it one day at a time. It's hard not to want to rush to be through it, but that's not going to help anyone.

I'm on day 19 post injury and went in to get my 1st cast and the surgery staples removed. The PA said that the incision looks good and that it's healing well. They put me in a new cast and will reassess on Jan 16th whether I can switch to the brace, or if I need it casted a bit longer. During the casting process this time, the guy holding my leg lifted it too far and my leg started spasming. Haven't felt that kind of pain since the surgery and it was not fun. Thankfully it subsided and they were able to finish the casting. This one is a little lower than the last one which was halfway up my left thigh. This one feels a little bit tighter than the last one, so I'm going to have to get used to that.

Oh well, one day at a time.

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #1422 on: January 06, 2018, 03:34:33 AM »
You are right, Dan - one day at a time is best.  (Although at 16 weeks out from surgery the days are adding up!). I remember having a painful spasm like that.  No fun.  Good luck with the new cast!

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1423 on: January 09, 2018, 12:31:19 PM »
Hello everyone. 

Today marks 1 year since my first quad surgery.

Glad everyone is progressing.  Take things slow. Follow the protocols. One thing I'm sure we all have learned is to be very patient.  Mine is wearing thin, as I want to do things that I couldn't last year, but I am dealing with it.

I am currently waiting for a call on when we will schedule surgery for the patella baja, and if they will be able correct the quad tear.  If not they could be a separate surgery down the road. 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1424 on: January 09, 2018, 04:51:40 PM »
HI   RPT  Folks

Just sent myself a birthday card!!
14 years since I did my RPT injury.

Just wish I had access to KeeGuru in those days -
So how am I now?

82 years old, cannot run after young ladies - I have 132 ROM, can walk, but not run, otherwise the knee is sometimes swollen, and was informed by my OS/PT, just get on with life and help others with similar problems .

So that why I do spend some time each day trying to help others in a similar situation.

Happy birthday/  JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon