Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 467160 times)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1395 on: December 17, 2017, 05:24:37 AM »
WestCoastMom - Thank you!! That's the plan!!!! Re: Updates. And yes I have had the same feeling even asking questions. During my surgery and subsequent complications all asking questions got me were more questions. All I wanted to know was when I would heal. And no one would be able to tell. :(

General question for everyone who has finally reached nearly full recovery - have you noticed in the beginning stages of walking again that you are super extremely tired? Tonight I couldn't bother to walk without my cane outside I was so tired. I just need to sleep for a bit I think. But yeah I couldn't bother to deal with it due to how tired I was, especially after the walking marathon I had earlier today.

Offline brisket

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #1396 on: December 18, 2017, 07:46:52 PM »
Not so close to full recovery yet but I those days are recent enough to recall clearly. I didn't feel especially fatigued but I noticed I slept more including an afternoon nap when circumstances permitted. I was probably at the very limit though - add anything else like pool workout and I'd be completely wiped.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1397 on: December 19, 2017, 11:13:25 AM »
Yesterday's physical therapy appointment was eventful.

I have been starting using steps. For the first time in over a year, I have used my right knee stepping onto the step and pushing myself up. It sure feels weird. At first I couldn't do it. After a subsequent few more tries, I was able to step up and extend my right leg without much further issue. And the strength in my right knee has already improved as a result of the activity.

The part between my knee certainly feels weird after having not stepped up onto a step with my right knee in so long.

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #1398 on: December 24, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
First week of being able to strengthen and start walking with the brace unlocked.  Will be at 14 weeks post op in a few days.

Still able to bend to about 103 before a lot of pain below the knee.  That seems to be where a lot of my pain and issues are - just below the knee.  When I straighten my leg fully, it crunches so much.  I almost canít bring myself to do those exercises because of how terrible the crunching is.

I also try walking in the house without the brace.  There have been quite a few times where the leg buckles.  I know everything is still weak.  And my leg gets achy and uncomfortable just when sitting with the brace off.  I keep waiting for it to feel even a little bit more normal.  But still so tight and odd feeing.

Tired to ride the bike at PT but couldnít quite get all the way around yet. 

Happy holidays to everyone!

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1399 on: December 26, 2017, 10:55:13 PM »
Excited about physical therapy today. On the horizontal bike stepper thingy machine (no idea what it's called), I usually have an intensity of 6.0. I was able to go all the way through 10 minutes on an intensity level of 8.5 today. Major progress in strength.

Also, stepping up onto a step without pain on my surgery knee for the second time since this whole surgery ordeal began over a year ago. The first time I did it was last week.

Had to share my progress on video:

https://youtu.be/bipp6RTcNYQ

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1400 on: December 27, 2017, 12:34:08 AM »
Had my 2nd opinion consult about a possible 3rd revision quad surgery today.

We took x rays that revealed a patella Baja that is causing the stiffness, along with the scar tissue.  It is likely  this is contributing to the quad re tearing. The PRP shot will not help, so that is off the table.  Both surgeons will consult and let help me make the bet solution going forward. 

The surgery if much more complicated than what I have been thru. Of course they lay out the potential complications. We were told I should get better range of motion, but the complications do scare us.

More to come.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1401 on: December 27, 2017, 02:14:13 AM »
Hey everyone, sorry to hear about the multiple tears a few of you have had. I couldn't imagine going through this multiple times.

My Story:
30 Y/O overweight male, former athlete who has gotten soft due to working in corporate america.

Sunday 12/17 I went out to the local sub shop to get lunch and as I was walking out of the door, my left leg gave way and I completely tore my left quad. No previous issues with legs or any injuries from sports. I must have hit the lip of the door wrong and torqued the leg too much (it's all a blur). Went to the ER that day, they tried to wrap the leg with a full foam brace and have me try to leave, but I could barely stand with the walker and could not walk at all. Had the surgery the next day (drill through kneecaps) and woke up in the stiff brace which caused me a lot of pain. Once they put the 3/4 leg cast on, I haven't had any pain in my left leg. They kept me a few days to watch me and finally let me go on Wed 12/20.

Fortunately for me, I have the ability to work from home so I don't have to worry about hobbling to and from work. It's been a little over a week since the surgery for me, and the biggest problem I've had are the anxiety attacks. The first few days after my brain would get completely illogical and freak out with thoughts of "am I ruining my knee in this cast" or "I'll never be able to walk normally again." I'm sure you guys and gals have had similar issues, but it was new to me and a bit scary. The past few days have been good with no panic attacks and me getting used to my new normal. They gave me a walker and I was fortunate to have a handicapped accessible apartment so getting around hasn't been awful.

I'm in this cast until Jan 5th, when they're going to take the cast off and remove the surgery staples. I think I get another cast for a week and a half, then meet with the Ortho surgeon to hopefully get the brace you all have been referencing. My biggest fear is these timelines. I haven't been that active with sports in years (I don't really consider company softball that active).

My ortho said it would take about 6 months for recovery but was very vague. How long was it before you all were able to walk around without a cast/shower/do normal activities like walking again? I've been looking around online but all the answers tend to generally be vague. I know everyone is different, but it would be nice to have a general ballpark.

Thanks for reading, I wish for a speedy and complete recovery for all of you.

Best,
Dan

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1402 on: December 27, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
Hi Dan

Welcome to KneeGuru -    you need to register on the page   Ruptured Quadriceps/Ruptured Tendon/Surgery - there are quite a number of RQT who have posted recently and will give you lots of advice.   

You are in for a long haul to recovery - Patience is required -  ask questions - don`t try and drive a car until you have an OK from your OS, otherwise you will invalidate your insurance cover.

Where do you LIve
Take care/ JohnK/Manchester UP
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1403 on: December 27, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »
Hi John,

Not quite sure what is meant by registering on a page. Is there a specific thread I need to identify myself in?

I currently live in Massachusetts. I know it's going to be a long and painful process. After much reading, I have come to terms with it. Thankfully I can get around alright for now. It's a bummer that I can't drive, but I will get over that. I'm just happy that if it was to happen, that it happened in winter. As I type this, I'm looking out my slider door at a white winter wonderland outside. I think it's a balmy 7 degrees F out there.

Best,
Dan

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1404 on: December 27, 2017, 03:37:29 PM »
Welcome Dan and sorry you have had to come here!

I understand the anxiety. I have certainly had issues with that.  I donít handle the unknown very well.  And it seems concrete answers are hard to come by with this injury. 

I wore a leg brace fully extended for 7 weeks.  No passive bending during that time.  But I was able to walk without crutches fairly early on - maybe durning the 2nd weeks.  But I kept the crutches around and definitely used them outside.  I donít think I have used them at all since week 4. 

I started removing the brace to shower after the first week.  I used knee wrap with a sturdy plastic tube behind my knee for a sense of security.

At 7 weeks I was allowed to start passive ROM and started PT.  It was slow going but was able to bend to about 100 degrees at week 12.  They didnít even want me to lift my straightened leg up and down on its own until a little prior to that.

It was close to 11 weeks before I was able to drive.  It was a great feeling to be able to have a bit of freedom back.  (I am the only driver at home and not used to having to ask for help!)

After my 12 week check, the surgeon sort of just said ďlooks good, now work with PT to wean from the braceĒ.  Which after all that time with no strengthening at all seems more than a little daunting. I asked a lot of questions and didnít get many real answers.  But I have been doing more strengthening and walking with the brace unlocked.  (And no brace at home).  I feel the knee buckle quite a bit so I know I have a long way to go.

Keep us posted!

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1405 on: December 27, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »
And Peb65a - I guess more info is good about what is going on and why you may have reruptured.  But it also must be hard to know what to do.  I am sorry.  Keep us posted.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1406 on: December 27, 2017, 04:46:30 PM »

Hi Dan
Click on this page
Best/ JohnK/Manchester UK

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=71886.0
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1407 on: December 28, 2017, 05:56:14 AM »
I think Dan is already in the right place?  Sorry if I am confused...

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1408 on: December 28, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
I am so excited about the progress I am making at physical therapy I am taking videos almost every session now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-QXgRo22b0

Today I have hit several milestones:

1. I am doing forward lunges with my surgery knee for the first time in over a year.
2. I have been able to re-learn normal walking patterns without much issue.
3. Using the horizontal bike stepping thingy, I am finally using all the muscles in my knee equally it feels like. And it has made a major difference not only in my balance but my walking. I am walking without thinking about it much, both with and without my cane.
4. I finally feel like all the muscles are working again like they should, and my tendon is so much stronger like it should be. As such, I am starting to take much much larger steps and walking more like my normal self again.

My therapist couldn't believe it when I was walking normally without my cane, compared to my usual walking.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 61
« Reply #1409 on: December 30, 2017, 09:08:27 PM »
Barrjoe I was unable to answer your message.  Is there a different login?

As i stated, the Dr I went to for the 2nd opinion found I have a patella baja. It was found with an X ray. The knee cap is being pulled down by the patellar tendon which is all scared up. This was post operations.

The option to repair this new found problem is a tibial tubercle osteotomy, along with scat tissue removal and a possible quad tendon repair of the 40% tear.  This is a much larger surgery, involving possible larger complications. I hope I get a say in the quad repair. If they are going to open up the knee, lets do all of the needed repairs.

I am waiting for my surgeon to call once they have discussed this new issue. 

support