Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473224 times)

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1320 on: July 05, 2017, 05:37:55 PM »
Thought I was well on the road to recovery, so I have been away from the board for a while.  Interesting to catch up to some older and seeing newer stories here.

I'm 2.5 years post-op from a near full rt quad tear, which, in my mind has never felt right since it was "fixed" by the original OS.  I was released 6-months post-op to full activity which still took me another year to begin feeling comfortable doing.  And a year after getting back to doing things that I enjoyed, I felt that familiar pop when organizing my garage.  Had the MRI last week and am awaiting the results, but based on the size of the swelling in the previous repair area, I wonder if I've torn something again. 

So the question to the group is....are re-injury incidents a common occurrence with this injury?  I feel like I need to walk away from doing the things I really enjoy (youth ice-hockey referee) to be able to live a life without a simple twist or turn shelves me for another year of doctor appointments and recovery.

Thoughts?
RQT "near complete" tear 01/11/15
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
Surgery to Repair 02/10/15
PT began on 03/20/15

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
« Reply #1321 on: July 07, 2017, 12:27:15 AM »
Quick update for everyone:

Now 9 months out from surgery and just 2 months out from removing the immobilizer brace entirely. This has been...difficult after having to have my knee straight for 6 months. To say it's one of the hardest things I've ever been through...is pretty accurate. I am continuing to wear my Dynasplint every day, and I think I've already mentioned this but I have transitioned to a walker. NOW, however, I am working to transition from the walker to real walking. I feel pretty confident enough that I am walking around all by myself in the house now.

I am back to driving. It's hard to believe that it's only been around 2 weeks that I have returned to driving on my own. And it sure feels incredible. Every bit of normal that continues to return on almost a daily basis is something I am treasuring to the fullest. I definitely do not want to have another tear or otherwise rupture something like this ever again.

Physical therapy starts up again for me tomorrow. I had made arrangements with my work to attend physical therapy but I did not want to leave work a lot so quickly after just returning to work in April. My surgeon gave me the re-auth for physical therapy to boot up again, so I am renewing my physical therapy commitment this week.

Slowly but surely...all the pieces are falling back into place.

Oh, and guess what!!!! I have lost 71 lbs. From 319 down to 248. It's been years since I've weighed 248. And I'm working on losing the rest.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #1322 on: July 08, 2017, 06:49:40 PM »
Hey jcola,
Probably not the guy to ask for the most optimistic outlook here.i have ruptured my right quad 3 times since last November . First time was going down stairs. Second time was going up the same stairs . And the 3rd time I don't have a clue. Found it in March at PT.

Getting my left knee replaced July 17, which I'm sure I hurt as a result of it doing all the work. Getting a tendon transplant probably by years end.

Best of luck to ya. If ya want more info let me know

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1323 on: July 14, 2017, 11:46:37 PM »
Update this week:

Resumed physical therapy today. I am bending at 79 degrees. Physical therapist believes it to be only two more months of physical therapy before I am back to normal. I can't believe it after everything I have been through these past 10 months.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1324 on: July 20, 2017, 11:42:15 AM »
This week's major update: I can finally walk unassisted for much longer periods without my walker. Today (7/19) was the first day that I am able to walk around my entire (large) office at work unassisted without a walker.

It feels so good to be free of that thing at last. I've taken the liberty of graduating to a cane. The freedom that everything feels like is immeasurable compared to the past 10 months. To say the past 10 months have been hell is a total understatement.

If you don't mind, I won't be going bowling ever again.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1325 on: July 30, 2017, 04:03:05 AM »
Hello everyone. Been a while so here's a quick update. Had a total left knee replacement on 7/17, and so far going real well. Wish I would have done it at least a year ago.

Hoping to get a good idea what my status is within a month or so. First Ortho follow up is next week. PT girls thinks I'm way ahead of schedule though. Walking with just a cane, and though it hurts, it's totally tolerable. In retropect, I was in a lot of pain for probably a year and learned to live with it.

Still have a quad tendon transplant to look forward to on my right knee. Hope to get the go ahead from the replacement doc on my left knee before I can proceed with the right knee.

Hope all is well with everyone. Take care

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1326 on: August 03, 2017, 03:43:43 AM »
Hi everyone!!!! My ROM continues to increase, and my walking capabilities have increased daily.

I can now finally depend on my right knee to get me over longer distances. For the first time, I walked (holding my cane up high) from my desk on the third floor of the office down to my car.

Oh my GOD was that amazing!!!! I can finally walk like a normal person again!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1327 on: August 03, 2017, 06:38:34 PM »
Hi TurboCod er3000

Progress very good - what ROM have you achieved ?

JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1328 on: August 03, 2017, 10:54:50 PM »
Been a while since I visited this site. Good to hear of the improvements most are making. It was four years ago today I had my surgery, fortunately only16 hours after a complete RQT on my right knee. Mine may be the ultimate success story. Injured Friday night, surgery Saturday morning, released from hospital Sunday, and back at work on Tuesday ! Self employed so highly motivated !
 Excellent, and very aggressive PT, so was back hiking Vancouver's Grouse Grind ( 870 meters elevation in 2.6 k ) with a convenient tram ride down, six weeks to the day after surgery. Consider myself very fortunate.
Still some tightness and burning below patella when hiking or paddle boarding, but being now in my 70th year I suspect such things are to be expected.
Keep working everyone and good luck with reaching your individual goals! There is no question this is a life changing experience.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1329 on: August 04, 2017, 05:00:41 AM »
Hi TurboCod er3000

Progress very good - what ROM have you achieved ?

JohnK/Manchester UK

Hi John,

I am up to 90 degrees ROM. Looking forward to getting my full 120 back. Major milestone reached today:

I walked an extremely long distance all by myself just holding my cane above the ground (not using it at all). This was about a block away from the parking lot at work all the way up to my desk!! I had to walk such a long distance because all the close parking spots were taken.

But oh man does it feel so good to be so close to full recovery!!!!

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #1330 on: September 25, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »
I have read through all these many pages of posts.  Which I suppose i would only do if I was now a member of this unlikely club...

I am a 50 year old female.  Not in great shape I suppose.

I inured myself on 8/27 and had surgery on 9/19.  So just 6 days post op.  I knew something tore when I injured myself, but the ER didn't think it was ruptured.  My orthopedic visit a few days later was similar.  Luckily I convinced them to at least do an MRI.  Because the tendon was still just barely attached at the front and back by a few strands, I was able to lift my leg so I didn't present as bad as I was actually injured. 

I am in an adjustable brace, but locked and allowed to walk around with crutches.  I am not quite sure how not to bear weight since the foot has to be on the floor. 

Have my first post op visit on 9/27.   I have a growing list of questions...  I am happy to have found this support and information.  But a little anxious too reading about the re-ruptures and difficulties.  I do like information though - a little too much.

I fell about 2 years ago and hurt my left knee.  Didn't think too much of it after the X-ray was fine,  but now feeling above that knee, there is a digit.  I am terrified that I did the same thing to that leg back then.  And with all the stress I am putting on that "good leg" now, it will tear.  Maybe the stress will keep my appetite low and I will lose some weight.

Aside from the fears I have about the good leg.  I also can't seem to squash the fears that I am hurting the repaired leg as I try to get around.  I am not usually that type of person, but it is sort of all consuming.

I am a single mom of two lovely red head daughters - one at college and one not yet driving.  It is so hard to handle all the daily living activities by yourself. 

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1331 on: September 26, 2017, 02:27:21 AM »
No doubt Mom, it's an eye opening injury. Tore my right quad 3 times in about 5 months and had my left knee replaced in July. My diary  and progress is pretty well documented here.  Right now I'm about 90 pct recovered from the knee replacement  but right quad is still partially attached. Found a brace on amazon couple of weeks ago for right knee and it's been a Godsent!  Started walking 10 days ago and I'm up to 2 miles a day. I know that isn't far, but after 11 months of doing nothing, I'm in heaven.

As far as your case Mom,does the brace seem to fit good? I never had a post op.one that fit good.  Anyway, good luck. Any question I will try to answer for you if you want
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:07:01 PM by Barrjoe, Reason: Mistake »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1332 on: September 26, 2017, 06:32:10 AM »
Hi Westcoast Mom

Welcome to the KneeGuru webpage - you have it the right site to help you through this injury.

You have done well reading some of the previous posts on this thread - keep asking questions - have you been informed when you will start PT?   The brace will be removed in about six weeks plus - then the fun starts with the pt.   Your leg should measure 30/40ROM ( range of movement).
Remember patience is required - it`s a long haul to recovery.

Keep posting.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #1333 on: September 26, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »
Thank you, Barrjoe and John.  After all the binge reading I feel like I know all of you.

I will update after my postop appointment tomorrow.

How do you all stay so positive and and worry about all the what-ifs?  Everytime I am walking around I feel like I could be stressing the repair.  And wondering if all,the stress on my "good" knee (that I am sure is not so good) will cause another rupture. 

Of course I could also be worrying about the daughter in college having live with me forever after graduation because she is studying anthropology...

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1334 on: September 27, 2017, 12:01:53 AM »
I guess doing the what ifs is part of this. At least in my case. But sooner or later you gotta deal with the what is. In my case, I wish I would have got my left knee replaced 2 years ago when it was becoming more of a problem than an annoyance. My right quad probably would have went anyway, but it probably would have had a good leg instead of 2 half legs. Not gonna tell you that things haven't sucked the last 11 months cuz they have. But, pissing and moaning gets old too and sooner or later you gotta play the hand your dealt.

Of course, that's all easy for me to say since my Daughter isn't an Anthopology major. J/K!

support