Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 467981 times)

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1155 on: June 30, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »
I had the 3 month follow up with the surgeon yesterday.  The best news is that I am now brace free.  I was told to only wear them if I would be in a crowded area where I might be knocked over.  I can already straighten my leg with little to no lag.  I also can now walk my dog without it being a struggle.

There is also no longer any limitation on what I can do at P.T..  I will find out what this means tonight when I get there but am looking forward to being able to push myself a little bit. 

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel is coming sooner than later.  Thanks for all of the encouragement and information I've found on this site.

Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #1156 on: June 30, 2015, 07:12:52 PM »
Great news, glad to hear all is well.  Good luck with pushing PT, listen to your body's response to working the knee/leg more!
RQT "near complete" tear 01/11/15
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
Surgery to Repair 02/10/15
PT began on 03/20/15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1157 on: July 01, 2015, 01:50:20 PM »
P.T. beat me up pretty good last night and I am a bit sore this morning.  Who would have thought a young lady who might be 5' and doesn't weigh 100 lbs could be so mean  :)

This is a good "sore" and I am the most optimistic I've been since probably last November when I realized something wasn't quite right.

Surgery 12/21/13

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #1158 on: July 01, 2015, 02:01:02 PM »
I have a friend who had torn ACLs in both knees and other knee issues along the way.  He refers to them as Physical Terrorists, not therapists....  :)

The folks at NovaCare seemed to revel in the pain part of it at times.  The smirk when asking "are you ready to stretch?" was always a bad sign.  But they did what they had to do and I'm in a much better place for it.

Glad to hear it went well tho.  I agree, one can surely tell the difference between feeling pain after PT and knowing what a good sore feeling is like.  Glad you have the latter!  Keep it up!
RQT "near complete" tear 01/11/15
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
Surgery to Repair 02/10/15
PT began on 03/20/15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1159 on: July 13, 2015, 02:06:15 PM »
I keep forgetting to post this update but here goes.

About 10 days ago the area around the knee on my newly repaired knee became spongy to the touch.  Since there is no pain and just some stiffness I didn't bother the OS and asked my PT her opinion.  There was also no decrease in my ability to straighten or bend the leg.  She seems to believe the swelling was from the additional work I have been doing with my leg as I had finally got the brace off the previous Monday.  She also suggested this could be the build up of scar tissue from 2 operations in the same area.  She has had me icing it which I have been doing twice a day for about a week.  However, the sponginess has not diminished.  I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience with this issue.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Surgery 12/21/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1160 on: July 13, 2015, 10:41:26 PM »
debt, check my post of June 25, in which I mention how to distinguish between hyper trophy of the repaired tissues and inflammation; the latter will slowly diminish the former we have to live with.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1161 on: July 14, 2015, 06:28:23 PM »
Thanks Stuart. 

I am reading this correctly.  The hyper trophy is with me/us to live with?  If this is true at least I have a new game at parties: "touch my squishy knee".

Thanks again.

Surgery 12/21/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1162 on: July 21, 2015, 02:49:30 AM »
Dbt, sorry about the earlier mess of your initials : darned autocorrect! I do suspect that the hypertrophic tissue is with us to stay. I reach the two year mark Aug 1st, and mine is still noticeable. Age could be a factor here, 67, and younger bodies may react differently so your party piece may be more temporary!
Good luck.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1163 on: July 31, 2015, 06:05:50 PM »
I had what should be my last visit to the surgeon today.  The sponge like feeling on my knee was fluid build up that he drained.  As long as that doesn't come back there shouldn't be any reason for me to see him again.  I am to keep compression on it for about a week.  Was also told I could start going back to the gym as long as I don't get too crazy (there goes me setting the world dead lift record).  Mostly for the 1st month or so I will be walking/jogging in the pool.  Thanks for all the encouragement I received here and I wish anyone who has to go through this all the best.

Surgery 12/21/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1164 on: August 02, 2015, 11:46:37 PM »
Had my accident two years ago today. Returned to the scene this afternoon. Very grateful for my recovery and to all who have posted on this site!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 11:50:16 PM by Stuart Rulka, Reason: Photo inverted »
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1165 on: August 03, 2015, 03:19:42 PM »
Good Luck Stuart.  Thanks for all your insights. 
Surgery 12/21/13

Offline bowlermk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1166 on: August 05, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
Hello all. Boy, I wish I'd known about this forum earlier, I would have had something to do during re-hab. I ruptured my quad tendon in my right knee on April 12 and had the surgery the next day. My surgeon told me 3-4 months to be completely better but I am still experiencing pain while going up and especially down stairs. To add insult to the injury, the arthritis in my left knee is now acting up because I am using it to compensate for the right knee. As you can see from my screen name I am a bowler and need to get back by September. Does it get better? :(

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1167 on: August 06, 2015, 02:22:59 PM »
Welcome to the board bowlermk.

Assuming you mean 10 pin bowling and not lawn bowling (because I don't know anything about that) I would have to believe you are left handed because of the concern about the right knee.  I am a RH bowler and still have an issue with my left leg.

As you may be able to tell from my screen name I ruptured both of my quad tendons (go big or go home).

First the bad news:
"3 or 4 months to be completely better".  I wish.  It is close to 20 months since my surgery and I have no hope of being ready by September for the fall season.  Walking down steps will probably be the last thing to come.

Now the good news:
Everybody heals differently.  Age, body type and former activity levels are probably the biggest factors.  Also in my case I ruptured both tendons instead of 1 so there was a lot more atrophy in my quad muscles than I expect you had with just 1.  I spent a month in a bed/couch/wheelchair with little to no movement.  I also re-tore part of the tendon on my left leg and had to be operated on again on 4/1/15.  I have no real pain when walking up or down steps but I can feel the stress on my legs because they simply aren't strong enough to do this properly.  I can walk up steps much like a normal person only little slower.  Down is a completely different story.  I am practicing walking down steps like a normal person but if there isn't a railing or the steps are too steep I'm not doing it.  Not really sure how much of this is mental though.

Sorry about the long winded post and I hope I didn't depress you too much.  I don't know if you can recover any faster than your body will let you.  Good Luck and be patient.
Surgery 12/21/13

Offline bowlermk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1168 on: August 06, 2015, 02:34:44 PM »
Destroyed, thanks for the response. Its nice to at least communicate with someone who knows what I am going through. I am talking about 10 pin bowling, although I am right handed.  Pushing off my right leg isn't too bad, but I have been using my left leg to compensate for the right and I have arthritis there that now hurts. I have started to bowl already, but certainly not at 100% I have 3 weeks to get ready.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1169 on: August 06, 2015, 07:19:26 PM »
I tried to go back to bowling last September which was over 8 months after my original surgery.   I did have both done but my average went from north of 200 down to 180.  After a few months of no improvement in my left leg I finally walked away from bowling and went back to the surgeon.  This is when I had another MRI and found the left leg didn't heal properly.  Without this 2nd surgery I never would have been support my weight on the front leg as needed to bowl. 

It was frustrating throwing 5-6 strikes a night when I used to do that in a game and I was truly miserable (and my teammates noticed).  I hope to get back soon but I have no chance of making it by the end of the month.  The good news is there is no real pain to mention.  I do feel the strain on my legs when I walk up and down steps but it isn't what I would consider pain.  I don't remember when that exactly went away after the 1st surgery but with the 2nd it wasn't much longer than a month.

BTW, I saw from your other post that you are from NJ.  I bowl mostly at Playdrome in Cherry Hill and occasionally at Laurel Lanes in Maple Shade.  I did bowl a few tournaments up north when my son was bowling for William Paterson.

Good Luck and Take Care.
Surgery 12/21/13

support