Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 468109 times)

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1125 on: October 21, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »
Fishy here.....Y2kmxz, nope, you are special....the only re-rupture I have read about (at least on this site and verified by John42).  Darn, I thought I was special cuz I am a double RPT.....lol.  Sorry man, this injury can drive you insane (luckily for me, it was a short drive!!).  But because you are such an anomaly it becomes more important for you to journal your journey.  Others that will follow will gain knowledge and strength from you.  Keep posting my brother..... ps, hope everyone is doing great!!  Bob

Offline y2kmxz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1126 on: October 22, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
Its amazing how I can be ahead of the curve on rehab one day then on then on the opposite side of the curve the next lol.  I did take a hard hit to the knee after only 15 weeks.  Im hoping I was only healed medium well instead of well done and that is the reason this happened.  Oh well.....my determination hasn't changed.  I will beat this.....but I will always be scared of repeating damage.  I will follow up as things progress, but at this point passive motion is being delayed until 4 weeks post OP.  Going to stay in the brace at full extension and on crutches longer.....my OS said expect 12 weeks of that.  I actually just purchased a used mobility cart so I can scoot around my work facility.

Thanks everybody and best wishes on your individual recoveries!

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #1127 on: October 23, 2014, 03:24:53 PM »
Hey there y2kmxz - you're definitely the first person I've seen on here to do that, and you have massive sympathy and solidarity from me.  I didn't do it to the same leg, but I did do it to the other, just seven years later.  (Did you even bother stopping on the way to the OS?  I went to my GP (first line family physician) and said "I've ruptured my quads tendon and I need a referral letter", at which she bristled a bit and said perhaps she was the person to do the diagnosis bit. But of course I knew).

The second time round has been better because I knew what to do - as John says - but worse because I knew how long it would take (actually it has been a bit quicker through faster mobilisation, but still it really does drag on).  But I am going to cheer you up in one respect, and that is that just as you didn't undo all the damage physically, neither had you got close to finishing the rehab.  So you won't have doubled the entire process, even if it's very frustrating to have extended it.

I am almost exactly a year post the second injury and coming up to my one year anniversary of surgery, and only this week did I realise I was walking nearly normally - foot going down at slight angle on the right leg phase and straightening up completely on transfer of weight to the left.  That's after cycling a couple of thousand miles since March, climbing up and down mountains and hills, etc.

Since we both had such a bad experience on stairs, I am reminded yet again of my first physio, who laughed when I said she must be tired of treating skiers and she said "No, the most dangerous things everyone faces are baths and stairs".  I can finally walk down the stairs properly but I still hang on now every time.  Still more carefully do I enter and exit the bath...
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1128 on: October 29, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »
Mojo here, off the wall question time. I was put under for surgery over a year ago. I am still experiencing vivid colorful dreams of things and people in my past every night since. Has anyone else experienced this sensation? I so, do they ever go away? I find myself waking up more tired than when I went to bed. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

Thanks for any input, Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #1129 on: November 01, 2014, 11:06:10 PM »
I've had very vivid dreams of running.  Not that I was running much before the injury, but I think my unconscious mind has false memory syndrome.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1130 on: December 25, 2014, 06:25:05 PM »
This thread seems to have gone silent. Hopefully that means everyone is happy with their progress!just like to wish Everyone the most Merry and Healthy Christmas possible.
For those in colder climes watch your footing this Winter. As if that hasn't become second nature by now!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline dsisk1031

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1131 on: December 26, 2014, 08:47:57 PM »
Hello everyone. I am lucky to be alive today. I have been lurking kneeguru forums, and this thread specifically, and have read every post. I had a very bad car accident on October 19th that landed me with a multitude of injuries: brain injury, facial fractures, dental disaster, an infection, scalp laceration that took most of my hair, and most troubling of all, a bad knee laceration and a quad tendon rupture. I had an infection in my knee that necessitated three prior surgeries to clear the wound of debris and infection. I spent several weeks in ICU before I was moved to a rehabilitation hospital to work on trying to get up. I turned 21 there at the hospital. At the beginning of my rehab hospital journey, I was in a wheelchair, and when I left only two weeks later, I was walking (albeit in an immobilizer). The orthopedic surgeon that did the repair surgery ordered more physical therapy. She seemed to think that physio would give me close to 100% back onto what was already a very impressive recovery, but after my first eval in outpatient, I need some support.

The scar tissue from the incision and the laceration is really impeding my keeping up with the program. I cannot bend further 20 degrees or so. It is not a matter of pain, I would gladly be in pain if my leg could go any further. My outpatient PT seemed to be very impatient with my inability to "just let gravity take it," and altogether she told me that I was very behind, and that my OS and the in-patient therapists were wrong to tell me that I was doing enough.

I am doing exercises daily, but bending is remaining an issue, and despite a relatively emotionally-neutered recovery, I am getting seriously frustrated and discouraged. I cannot get very far at all when I am told that I should be able to make a 90 degree bend. I am not seeing any improvement in my ability to bend at all. Does anyone have any advice, an exercise, or a story regarding complications around the 8th week of post-op recovery from an already problematic repair surgery?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1132 on: December 26, 2014, 09:37:28 PM »
HI dsisk1031

WElcome to the RPT thread - my goodness - what a story to tell -   I would like you to click on the undermentioned thread, as it contains a number of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru - the documents covers an explanation of your injury and of importance what you will expect in the rehab process.

A long job with quite a few months to get near to normality.  Yes read up some of the previous posts - PATIENCE - listen to your knee - The first mile stone is 35-45ROM after 6 weeks or so, then working up to 90ROM which can take up to 15 weeks.

Where do you live?

Please keep us informed - ASK questions - lots of buddies out here to help you.   Watch out for wet leaves, snow and ice.
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1133 on: December 28, 2014, 03:02:39 PM »
Dsisk1031, welcome, sounds to me as if you have done amazingly well to have progressed as far as you have!
 Sorry to say however I feel your PT needs an attitude adjustment, or you need to find a more empathetic PT. Recovery from this injury, which everyone does at a different rate, requires, above all, a positive attitude from yourself and those around you.
All of us who have been through this know that you will get there, but at a rate determined by your own body. You have youth on your side, which gives you a big advantage over many of us.4
Read what John recommends, keep plugging along and know we are all with you in Spirit. Good luck.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1134 on: January 29, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
I eventually went back to the OS a couple of weeks ago about the lack of progress in my left leg (to recap, I ruptured both quad tendons and rehab on the left has slowed noticeably).  He sent me for an MRI and I have an appointment to review with him on Feb 3rd.  The MRI people sent me the report that basically said "Effusion - Lower Leg" and not much else.  I was able to google this to get an idea of what it is.  Since I don't have the patience to sit around until Tuesday to talk to the OS does anyone have any thoughts on how this could be affecting my rehab?  Any educated guess would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline Thomas99

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #1135 on: January 29, 2015, 09:50:54 PM »
Sounds as though that you have not re-ruptured the tendon, which is great news.

My MRI report stated a had a "high grade partial tear", which my OS later confirmed was a major partial re-rupture requiring surgery to be redone.

Not sure my experience will help, since my first surgery was a failure and I had a high grade partial tear undiagnosed for a number of months.

I had a lot of swelling in both my knee and lower leg first time around, which caused additional pain and restricted some ROM movement and I found it painful to bend my knee at times from the swelling.

8 days post surgery from 2nd repair attempt.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1136 on: February 03, 2015, 02:22:44 AM »
Today marks 18months since my Surgery. Still feel as if I have a rubber doughnut round my kneecap but on a day to day basis my life is pretty much back to normal.
 Still have an MRI scheduled for mid May to check out the bone chips found radiographically, but all in all I consider myself very fortunate!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1137 on: February 03, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »
My MRI showed that the quadriceps tendon in my left leg did not heal properly.  The choices are to have another surgery or have limited use of my left leg for the rest of my life.  I chose the surgery.  This basically means starting from scratch (but only 1 leg this time and not 2).  Same recovery procedure.  4 weeks in an immobilizer & 4 to 6 weeks in a bledsoe brace.  At least I get to do this on my terms this time.

Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1138 on: March 02, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »
mojo here, 17 months yesterday I tried to fly downstairs and did the double. I have seen significant improvement navigating stairs, mainly going down. Of course dropping 20 pounds or so since the first of the year may have helped that. My work office is upstairs and it is tax season so I get a lot of stair work. I do find if I have to stand for a long time I pay for it the next day. All in all, I am happy with my progress. Thanks all for the laughs, information and support I have received since the incident. Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Palerider

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #1139 on: March 08, 2015, 12:46:06 AM »
Very good site.  Thought posting  may be therapeutic.   Plus hopefully i can learn from other experiences and share mine as I go.    Im at least past the feeling sorry for myself stage.

Actually slipped on some ice.  Kind of a freak accident.   Surgery on February 17th after 6 weeks from injury.  Was about 90 percent tear. Also had meniscus repaired  while at.  Went back to work this week.  Manager in IT mostly at desk or in meetings. First week was tough.  Was exhausted most of the time.  Sleeping is the worst.  Have not had a good one since surgery.  I'm 55 and pretty active.  Actually not very good at sitting still.  At least this injury may teach me some patience.  :P. Recently quick taking pain pills.  The pain was a little overwhelming still first.   

Started rehab.  Nothing serious. A lot of leg lifts and calf stretches.   At point I really don't need crutches.  But still use them for balance.   

Sorry for short sentences but posting from iPad. 

Good luck to everyone reading this. I'm guessing if you are then probably in similar  situation.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:56:48 AM by Palerider »

support