Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473133 times)

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1005 on: February 13, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »
So today was the postponed session at the PT and attempt #2 at the watt bike (attempt #1 a few weeks ago was a little premature and felt very peculiar - hitching the hip to get the knee to flex at the apex of the cycle until building up momentum, and then trying to work out how to reverse that process in order to stop).

But today was fine.  The watt bike at the PT has a little screen so that you can graphically monitor force being put through both pedals (I never knew such opulence existed).  The left leg has a solid, regular pattern and the right is a bit all over the place - too weak one cycle and then over-compensating the next - but to be even slightly breathless while doing some exercise was brilliant; a range between 175 and 225 watts felt absolutely fine, even if I was a bit light-legged when I got off.  And I can use their equipment at will, which is (a) very kind of them and (b) reasonably practical since they are just over the hill.  Not much of a hill, Stuart - more of a Sparrow Scrape than a Grouse Grind - but worth the combined exercise of a walk up, a cautious totter down and then 15-20 minutes of trying to generate two even shapes on the screen.

ROM is now 143 degrees, so I think we may have reached the end of that particular road.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1006 on: February 14, 2014, 07:44:47 PM »
OK you Lot. Don't anybody be overdoing it this Valentine's Day. No carrying of Significant Others over Thresholds and such!
  Enjoy the day everyone!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #1007 on: February 14, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
Fishy here.  I plan on putting all my hard work to good use.  Since this is Valentines Day I have prepared with Roses (check) Chocolate (check) Dinner reservations (check)....  Take care all..... Bob

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1008 on: February 14, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
I get to partake in my final (hopefully) PT session this afternoon before having a romantic meal with the wife at home.  February 25th is the next and final (hopefully) doctor appointment. As the Sarge on Hill  Street Blues said "Let's be careful out there."
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1009 on: February 20, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
A quick note to claim a first quads rupture chapter meeting - Frank and I managed to get through a few litres of carbonated soft drinks in Windsor this afternoon.  Stuart, we're waiting for your visit to these shores.  And the rest of you, the United Kingdom - home of ruptured quads tendon conviviality - is always open.  Next time we might even try alcohol.

Onwards, upwards and - eventually and carefully - downwards....
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1010 on: February 21, 2014, 12:28:15 AM »
So did you guys compare scars? We are planning to cross the pond in a couple years, will have to look you up. Trying today for the first time to wear the shoes that helped cause the predicament, the increased angle  of the foot is making it more difficult to walk. I am hoping next Tuesday's doctor appointment will be the last for this ailment. Dave J
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1011 on: February 21, 2014, 01:00:13 AM »
Bit of scar talk, actually, Dave.  But in a public place and anxious not to frighten the populace.  Incidentally I didn't realise what a relief it would be to be in the company of someone else who was prone to shift weight and angle of the knee periodically to stop it aching.

The UK division has branches in Glasgow and London, Dave, so don't forget to let us know when you're coming.  What was with the shoes?
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1012 on: February 21, 2014, 01:14:42 AM »
I have been wearing comfortable tennis shoes to work with a lower heel. Since I work at a CPA firm and meet clients to prepare their taxes I thought I should start looking more professional with the slightly higher heel dress shoes.
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #1013 on: February 21, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
Apologies or this update but I have been otherwise engaged (lazy!) I had my MRI result on Monday and l I guess in the grand scheme of things it could have gone worse, he could have said ďyouíre knackered old boyĒ, however he didnít quite go that far. In a nutshell my quad has shortened considerably and add to that an overly fibrous tendon with thickening below the knee, that's whatís stopping my ROM, my big powerful thigh (his words, honest) has also worked against me a bit apparently. He said there is an operation to lengthen the tendon that could be done but that has complications in that i would have lag and instability, he didnít recommended it! The only other option is extensive (every day) physio, working the quad as hard as possible to gain some stretchiness back. At best I will achieve 80-90 degrees only he thinks.

Basically I was left too long without physio, the damage has now been done and unless some miracle cure comes along Iím stuffed! I am attending the National Sports Medicine Centre on Thursday next week for a first consultation with a new physio to start a new phase in my rehab.

Finally got to meet fellow sufferer James (SE27Eagle), it was as described, and a relief to not to have to explain the injury and explain why you keep shuffling to get comfortable. I seriously recommend James' company he has a wealth of knowledge on so many topics his nickname should be "google"!

Regarding shoes, I must admit thats one issue I have never had (thank the lord), its the angle of the land Im walking on that matters to me, no down angles thank you!
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #1014 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »
Frank, RUN to another doctor for a 2nd opinion....I cannot believe that you are destined to 80-90 degree ROM.  I keep you in my prayers....and I am sure the rest of this RPT community sends their wishes.  I have been working out 3-4 times a week in a shallow pool to stretch out the quads and all the other associated muscles....it is low impact and really helps.... take care all,   Bob

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1015 on: February 21, 2014, 11:40:41 PM »
Frank. Good to hear you and James made contact. Those of us this side seem to be as far apart as is possible on the same Continent!
   You do confirm a couple of my own observations; highly developed quads seem to be a common denominator, myOS told me mine were at least in part responsible for the rupture, contracting violently to try and get my foot under me as I fell.Many of you probably were told the same thing. Secondly, for any newbies, I cannot stress enough the early involvement of a really knowledgable PT. certainly your powerful quads have the potential to cause further damage if you overdo it, but waiting to long has its own hazards as Frank has discovered, not to mention the possibility of later trouble caused by imbalance between the healthy and atrophied quads.
  Dave your elevated heels are going to make you feel as if you are perpetually walking slightly downhill!
Keep your spirits up everyone, especially in light of the Hockey and Curling results!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1016 on: February 22, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »
@Dave - so that's the "CPA" in mojocpa!  Me too (well, chartered accountant over here).

Canadians, eh?  They seem so friendly and polite and then the next thing you know, they've grabbed one gold medal off you here and another there, and all of a sudden they're at or near the top of the medal table again.  At least the women's ice hockey final had more drama than you could shake a maple syrup coated hockey stick at, which is more than can be said for the curling.

Having got to know each other just this week, this afternoon Frank and I are about to be pitted against each other as Manchester United visit Crystal Palace.  Probably better for the bonhomie and good humour of this bulletin board that neither of us is actually fit to take an active part in proceedings on the field...

L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1017 on: February 22, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »
My mature side says nothing....my immature side says...yaaaaah boooo sucks...

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1018 on: February 22, 2014, 09:19:52 PM »
Bob, this was a second opinion, and I cant get better than the guy I went to see, he really is at the top of the game when it comes to knees. We will see what some extensive physio can achieve. I am always grateful to be in your thoughts.

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1019 on: February 23, 2014, 05:44:34 AM »
Oh dear - not much I can say in Palace's defence.  Sadly, that was true for the team as well.  On the other hand, the atmosphere in the ground was rocking and we did get to see all of those galacticos in SE25, which is a bit exotic (for overseas readers, we got promoted last season but ritually only last for one year and then go down for another 5-10).  Rooney was outstanding.  I'm not sure he's worth £300,000 a week for five years, but then I don't think anyone is.  But he was definitely worth more than the others.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013