Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 467158 times)

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #990 on: January 27, 2014, 08:40:52 PM »
Well... my meeting with the Prof wasnt as I had hoped. To keep it short, my knee is a bit of a mess. The quad tendon is approx 3 times thicker than it should be, all fibrous, theres adhesions also, so the tendon is stuck again, theres capsular issues, and the knee cap is sitting low and outward. My quad itself is shortened and his opinion is I should have started motion weeks before I did, no strength work but lots of motion very early on (which is what we all think on here in general).

So an MRI scan later in the week to see whats going on and we will take it from there. Reconstruction work will be the princely sum of approx 5k!!

Need to keep the ol chin up and wait to see what the scan shows

TTFN
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #991 on: January 27, 2014, 10:41:12 PM »
Sorry for you bad news today, Frank. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #992 on: January 28, 2014, 12:53:55 AM »
Frank. In a word "Merde," thank goodness for the second opinion however. At least now you know what you are dealing with and can lay out a plan of action accordingly. Stay positive and keep fighting. Figure my rehab cost me about 10k, but as we have all learned good health is priceless!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline JC55

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 213
  • Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
« Reply #993 on: January 31, 2014, 03:18:10 AM »
MOJOCPA, I did that one-leg standing throwing ball into trampoline exercise as well.  Keep at it, gets easier.  Being a RPT patient, the PT has me walking backwards on the treadmill at a 5+ incline at speed of 3.  It really works that inner lateral tissue that seems to help with the stairs.  I have no problems up or down steps except for a popping noise on occasion.  At 50 years of age and being an athlete my whole life I guess it is to be expected that I have crepitus of the patella...but no pain so I feel lucky. 
Anyway, just read your posts and thought I'd holler at you and Stuart and the rest of the RQT crowd.  Good luck to you guys!
Jerry, Kentucky, USA
Complete tear of left patella tendon, Sept 8, 2013
Surgery Sept 9, 2013, no wire

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #994 on: January 31, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »
Jerry, it is slowly getting easier with the one leg stand thing. I really feel both quads firing at the end of the exercise. I just started the backards treadmill at 8 degrees for 5 minutes at a slower pace. 4 months ago tomorrow I tried to fly down stairs. The "Oh S___" moments of feeling like the knees are going to buckle are getting farther and farther apart. Stairs still suck but declines are getting better. Good luck to the RPT crowd as well. Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #995 on: February 01, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »
Tomorrow marks the 6month anniversary of my fall and resulting RQT, so as per my OS I am officially allowed to resume exercising!
 Celebrated this morning with my 75th post-op hike up the Grouse Grind.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #996 on: February 04, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
Congratulations on the anniversary and the three quarter century, Stuart!

Greetings from London, where I returned after a week of travel to find that sitting around on planes had curiously restored my ability to walk down stairs properly, albeit holding firmly onto something as I do.  Reported back to OS who is very happy with progress - ROM now pretty comparable between the two legs when lying on the flat and bringing them up and quite a lot of resistance strength when he tested trying to push the outstretched leg out of extension.  But that just makes the relative muscle deficit the more obvious, and I often remind myself of the words of wise posters on this site, which is that the thing you need the most of with this injury is patience.

In any case, signed up for RideLondon 100 in August and will be almost tediously evangelical about how you can support Leukemia and Lymphoma Research nearer the date.  Touchingly, the event will take place just a day or so before the traditional opening of the grouse season, Stuart.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #997 on: February 06, 2014, 06:17:11 PM »
Happy half year and happy 75th nutterwalk Stuart!

Still getting a tad jealous over everyones progress, it will be 10months on valentines day marking the occasion of my stupidity in not using a small set of steps but descending a wet grassy slope instead!

I had my MRI scan today, that was an odd affair, my first experience of such a thing, I was expecting it to be like an X ray, in and out in a flash, not the 20-30 minutes of lying still that it was. Results due when prof gets back from his jollies on the 17th. (300 quid for a scan OMG!)

All physio has now ceased as its not doing any good, my tendon has restuck itself to the scar tissue under the wound, which explains why I still can't bend my knee beyond about 55 degrees.

2 long journeys in the car to come (stuffed into the back seat as I can't get into the front) Telford and London, oh the joy! Others may well empathise with not knowing if the hotel will have a shower or bath or both, can you get into and out of them etc... and my big issue is toilets, I need space to the left for my stuck out leg, if there is no space or its to the right its really awkward.

Im beginning to actually call myself disabled, I ask for disabled access rooms, and disabled loos...blue badge next for parking!!!! (never thought I would see that day).

Good luck James with your training for RideLondon.

happy rehabbing guys, good luck with all your endeavours.

Frank

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #998 on: February 06, 2014, 07:46:19 PM »
Frank, frank frank frank..... there isn't a RPTer that read your posting and didn't immediately feel sympathy for your results.  I had my surgery done at a VA hospital at Anchorage, Alaska.  I am a double, so no one, not my OS or PT doc had seen a double, so I was fresh meat for their entertainment....up until the moment I met a recent amputee rehabbing in the clinic.  Frank, I will keep you and all my RPT family warmly in my prayers.....as well as the troops that protect and defend..... Bob

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #999 on: February 06, 2014, 11:21:03 PM »
Bob, thank you.

I do use this board to air frustrations, but in reality I do voice the fact that there are millions of folks who are most definitely less fortunate than I am, at the end of the day I am home, dry and warm, with food on the table and blessed with a wonderful family and 3 grandkids I adore. Im just frustrated with the fact I see so much positivity and I can't be a part of that voice, although I am a positive person as a rule...its wearing thin a bit now!

I really appreciate everyones progress here, it warms my heart that everyone is getting where they need to be, and i will get there through bloody mindedness and determination! (even if it bankrupts me in the process)

The best things here for me is the good humoured banter (note that there are 2 U's in humour) and Stuarts exploits on how to get admitted to the funny farm!

Onwards and upwards mes amis

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1000 on: February 06, 2014, 11:54:32 PM »
Frank. I join Bob in commiserating with you in your frustrations. I'm afraid as he says all we can do is keep you in our thoughts and Prayers. Just remember that "This too shall pass," even if not as rapidly as we might wish.
James, good luck in your training for "Ride London", I will be there for my Daughters wedding in early September, so may get a chance to look you up, if I can escape the new In-Laws I will be meeting for the first time!
  Meanwhile, stay positive everyone, Spring is just around the corner, unless like my younger Daughter you live in Manitoba where they have just gone through 30 days of below minus30C temperatures!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1001 on: February 08, 2014, 01:26:44 AM »
Frank, you are actually being more positive than the rest of us because you're pressing on in horrible circumstances and still radiating decency and stoicism about the entire situation.  And as Stuart says, "this too shall pass".  When are you coming to London?  The least I can do is buy you a pint in my own back yard.

As to the hotel bath/shower/toilet question, I am glad this matter has been raised.  A low point was the hotel in Vienne where I could only use the loo with the door open and my leg sticking out.  Another low point was the realisation - when I stayed in a hotel for the first time with the leg - that the bath at home was/is in comparison hideously dangerous because it has no handrail and only two slippery edges upon which my whole weight was being borne by two wrists of which one had been under the knife three times.  In fact I still look at the bath with some distrust. but at the same time was petrified of using the shower for the fear of slipping and falling, so made do.  And then there was the hotel bath in which I couldn't sit down because it was too short for me to bend my knee enough to get the foot down, but only discovered this upon ponderously lowering myself in.

However if it's any consolation, 300 sounds like quite a good price for a knee MRI...

L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1002 on: February 12, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »
James, we are travelling down Wed 19th Feb, staying in Windsor, as we have a meeting at Wentworth Golf Club, then Thursday SWMBO and my eldest son are going to ITV studios near Waterloo Bridge, so Im at a loose end, if you're over that way at all, or nearer Windsor if its easier!(Loose Women is not my idea of a fun day out - for our overseas cousins, this a chat show where a bunch of middle aged women gripe about current events, not a bunch of immoral scantily clad ladies of the night).

Anyhoo, Im off to see the Prof this Monday to see about the results of my MRI and what action we can take. Have had some very good feedback about this chap, he definitely knows his onions, so if he can't fix it no-one can! Im leaning towards a tendon lengthening scenario, which will increase the ROM but will mean I won't be able to straighten fully (unsure of the consequences of that to be honest).

Need to start ebaying a kidney now to pay for any future surgery!!!

For any UK based readers here.... if you haven't got private health insurance. GO GET SOME! Its not expensive and will give huge peace of mind and access to surgeons unavailable to you on the NHS. From memory I only pay 54 a month (around US$ 90) If you're younger (Im 52) and a non smoker its a lot cheaper.

The point you raise James about showers and baths, I feel safer in my shower, as its boxed in so to speak, a couple of nights ago in the hotel it was a shower over bath and I felt really unsteady. As for a bath I will only try if there are hand rails, and a lip at the back end of the bath that i can sit on and then lower myself in that way, the bath also needs to be a decent length, as I'm not short and wide as Im not thin! The disabled access hotel rooms seem to be much better for me, apart from the mirror being aimed at my crotch (no jokes please).

Another question for UK readers.... blue badge scheme. Do you think it appropriate that for those with a longer temporary disability that they should have access to this scheme to allow easier parking? As I have to sit in the rear of the car with my leg up on the seat, when we pull up anywhere the standard parking means that it isn't always feasible to fully open the rear door so I have a problem getting out with my sticky out leg, so we park in the disabled bays, I exaggerate use with my sticks, even though I don't need them for walking anymore! Don't use council disabled bays for fear of a ticket.

I feel that given I struggle walking at the moment I should have access to this scheme for the duration until Im fixed. South Lanarkshire Council don't agree with me though, they don't cater for temporary only permanent disabilities.

Thats all for now, happy recoveries to all

Frank

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1003 on: February 12, 2014, 01:22:50 PM »
Hi Frank

Read your post

One the question of a blue badge - I have had one now for nine years - it`s renewed every three years - well worth a tenner - contact the disabilty department at your local council - if they refuse to issue with one, then reply with a supporting letter from your GP, and demand an assessment at the disability center.

In now way must you risk driving, until you have the clearance from your OS

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1004 on: February 12, 2014, 05:54:27 PM »
Great, Frank!  I am in London on 19 February - just need to be back in the office for 4.00pm.  I'll send you my contact details in a PM now. 

For North American readers, SWMBO has strong resonance in these parts, at least for those of us born before the late 1960s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG1cpRxJ1pU

and while much has changed since the 1970s, the Middle Temple (Inns of Court as Rumpole walks to chambers) is exactly as I last saw it a few months ago.

L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

support