Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 468282 times)

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #945 on: December 28, 2013, 11:25:42 PM »
Frank. I feel almost guilty at the degree to which I have been indulging myself while you have been suffering.
  Almost!  Just kidding, it's hard to believe you are still going through this after more than eight months. Have to admit to surprise at the pain of staple removal. Would have thought that after having more than 2 cups of fluid drained they would have been falling out. Hopefully now you are truly on the road to recovery!
  Bob, I thought of you Christmas Eve as we tucked in to a feast of Lobster tails and King Crab legs. We have an Alaska connection in that my Daughter met her Husband (a Brit) commercial salmon fishing on the Stikine!

Cheers
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #946 on: December 31, 2013, 07:32:30 PM »
Very best wishes for the New Year to all RPTs out there.  Stuart posted a really good piece on Facebook on the importance of teams in any kind of training and pointed out this is a great example.  I am very grateful to you all for being there and your consistent enthusiasm in the face of what to normal human beings might be seen as quite an inconvenience.  In this I hold Frank in the highest esteem for Unusual and Distinguished Stoicism.  Surely you are the most deserving of us for rapid and gratifying progress in 2014.

I have now returned to wireless access of a type that supports my laptop and submit learnings from the last 10 days:

- going to a ski resort with crutches is interesting and best achieved by abandoning the crutches.  They don't help primary balance and they're more likely to slip than size 10.5 trainers (sneakers for some of you)

- altitude and stairs suit RPT recovery.  I spent most of the week walking up the five flights to our apartment with only minimal hanging onto the rails, finally realising my right leg was actually doing the work

- you can justify spending EUR28.00 on a chicken in France for Christmas lunch.  It was exceptional (guaranteed to be at least 180 days at slaughter, and its brown meat was really brown.  I'm highly conscious of tissue quality in legs right now, of course...)

- for R RPTs, when you can drive using your right foot alone in an automatic, that's when you're OK to drive, not when you have to use (a) your left leg and try to hide your right leg in the door space or (b) drive with both feet.  Fortunately we have arrived at that point

- despite my suspicions in this regard, going on a skiing holiday when you can't ski is fine - deferred gratification and motivation to do rehab exercises outweigh envy.  Michael Schumacher's accident (next door valley) made me look at it all differently again, of course

- ROM now about 85 degrees cold.  Exercises now include active extension from seated position and work with the resistance band.  Starting with the lowest (yellow) level, I am confident I am not the only one in this group whose first thought will have been  "How can I get 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon' out of my head now?"

Heading off for an evening of moderate excess to welcome 2014.  See you all on the other side!
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #947 on: January 01, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!
 After an evening of immoderate excess got in my first hike of the year this morning followed by a Polar Bear swim. Really cooled the knee off.
   Best wishes to everyone on this site. Hopefully by this time next year our trials and tribulations will be just a Memory - even for you Frank !
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #948 on: January 03, 2014, 05:40:01 PM »
We'll things really are turning into a saga... Following my draining last Friday I started to swell back up again movement restricted to about 72 on my CPM machine and 55/60 with the physio. Today I was attending the clinic for a post-op check up and I find myself back on the ward... Another 250 mls drained in theatre this time and an MUA done.

I'm beginning to wonder if I've secretly won a season ticket to this hospital!

Hopefully everyone had a superb festive season, it certainly sounded like a fair amount if rich food was consumed and maybe we imbibed over the new year?

Good luck to all even to the maniac mountaineering in Canada!!!( Stuart!)

More from ward 15 tomorrow
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #949 on: January 03, 2014, 07:36:04 PM »
Frank, I pray that this setback is just that and you will recover quickly and continue your journey to full recovery.  You are in my prayers as is all my brother and sister RPTers. 
I did an hour and a half work out yesterday (does 30 minutes in the hot tub really count as part of a work out?).  Leg presses and equipment specialized for the legs, upper body weighs with a 10 mile stationary bike ride rounded out my workout.  A tad bit stiff today, but I'm glad I pushed it.  Week 33 is going to be fun... did I  say FUN????

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #950 on: January 05, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »
Evening all,

Happy to say I was released from hospital a day earlier than expected, so that was great news for me.

The draining seems to have allowed a slight improvement, I can regularly achieve 80 degrees on my CPM machine, although in PT im struggling to achieve 60 on my own and 70 assisted. In any case these numbers are higher than before the second op, so all good so far.

The swelling hasn't returned so far, and Im doing as Im told and resting as much as I can and doing 2 hour sessions on the CPM 4 times a day, so thats also good news.

Fishy, hot tub counts as work out in my book! Well done on your workout, Im mightily impressed.

Stuart, you need a doctor and some chaps with one of those nice jackets with the long sleeves!

SE, your progress and bravery are also to be applauded, going anywhere voluntarily where there is snow? You can share Stuarts jacket! Nice one on achieving 85 degrees. 28 for a chicken? That confirms the need for a jacket and strong medication!

Onwards and upwards

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #951 on: January 06, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
Evening Frank and good afternoon, trans-Atlanticists.  Reported to OS this afternoon and felt oddly like a schoolboy who'd got a good mark for his holiday project.  "That's great!," he said.  "To do a straight leg raise with no lag at this stage is terrific."  I even got an approving pat on the shoulder.

Cold ROM is 90 degrees but remain locked at 75 when wearing the brace, which I am now meant to wean off over the next 2-4 weeks (we agreed it might be useful for the away games at Arsenal and Spurs).  Authorised to get on the stationary bike with zero resistance and start working up, and can swim from now.  Deeply happy.  Cooked slow roast pork belly to celebrate the potential for some exercise after ten weeks, which of course is now a matter of cardiac urgency.  Cleared for brace-free sleeping, which is a matter of deep satisfaction.

Warm and gliding thoughts to you all.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #952 on: January 07, 2014, 12:55:56 AM »
SE, way to go. Pretty soon you will be playing cricket.

PT has me doing 10 minutes on the stationary bike, 10 minutes of squats on the total gym at the steepest angle, and 10 minutes of gait training on the treadmill besides the various leg lifts with 10 pounds of weight on each leg. I see the doctor on the 14th, am hoping we can start to work on the eccentric exercises to help with stairs and declines. ROM is back to where I was before my trip down the stairs. Am having a little trouble walking on the ankle that has the bad arthritis, I want to roll it over. Otherwise things are going as well as can be expected.

Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #953 on: January 08, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »
Dave, very positive news, great gym work and if your ROM is near where it was pre accident that's just bloody superb! Strengthening work for you now I'm sure, I'm assuming that your rolling ankle has nothing to do with your tendon rupture but the arthritis?min any case the extra gum work should help strengthen things up for you.

SE I'm jealous of your 90 degrees ROM at rest, at best I can achieve 60 just now, 82 on my machine, and 75ish when the nasty physio forces it! However I was at the hospital today for a chat with my surgeon who for the first time was making positive noises, which cheered me up no end. (Slow roast pork belly.... One of my favourite things)

Last night I was walking down our rather lengthy corridor to/from the lounge, and noticed that I could actually walk with a bend in the knee, if I did it slowly you could hardly notice any limp, and that's a first for me in 9 months, so I'm touching everything wooden but I think we've turned a corner! Added to that no new swelling in the knee after draining 5 days ago, the lights on at the end of the tunnel.

Yes....I'm a happy bunny today and no it's not drug induced!

Frank

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #954 on: January 08, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
Frank, I believe all of us RPTers are breathing a collective sigh of relief, I was beginning to believe you were going to get better to spite, not because of, your OS.  Congrats on the ROM and walking with a freer gait.  Keep up the good work and keep posting....  Bob

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #955 on: January 08, 2014, 08:24:18 PM »
Frank, my rolling of the ankle is directly related to the arthritis. For PT recently I have been doing the drunk walk (heel to toe on a 4 inch wide line in the carpet) for three minutes. Yesterday, he had me try it backwards, I did about 3 steps and that is all I could handle, very different feel on the muscles. I am sure I am going to be seeing more of that routine in the future. 14 weeks since the surgery today.
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #956 on: January 13, 2014, 12:04:09 AM »
Frank, that's definitely a turning point.  I remember it from last time as well as going through it this time.  To start with you can walk very slowly kind of normally.  From here on in, you just get faster and better at inclines.  But it just takes longer than you think or want.

Went to watch Palace at Tottenham yesterday - microplanned the journey to avoid walking but couldn't resist seeing a Spurs fan friend for a beer afterwards so walked back via the pub about 30 minutes to the tube station.  Saw the OS just under a week ago when he talked about weaning off over 2-4 weeks, but I regret to tell you I just stopped wearing it then, so this was quite an adventurous walk.  Felt a bit tired in the evening but then walking around the block today was entirely different - almost forgot about my knee.  If I talk to myself quite sternly I can walk up the stairs without holding onto anything.

Physio drill at the moment is slides up and down the wall and kind of split leg half thrusts, if that makes sense - injured leg out front, uninjured behind and dropping down and elevating as vertically as possible.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #957 on: January 13, 2014, 12:32:06 AM »
Was just rereading an article on Quad Tendon Injuries from the Journal of Orthopedics January 2010, Vol33, Issue 1, and in their conclusion they write "Earlyrange of motion within the tolerance of the repair may provide better results."
Mention this for the benefit of any new members who may tune in, and to keep stirring the pot viz a viz updating treatment protocols! Wasn't it James who recently expressed concern that he could flex his knee within his brace?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #958 on: January 14, 2014, 01:10:17 PM »
Yes, but just to emphasise your point, Stuart, I was getting nervous about being able to flex the knee by perhaps 5-10 whereas the two studies in the meta-analysis you quote were "up to" 55 and 90 respectively.  So new readers, reflect on and learn from my spurious fears...
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #959 on: January 15, 2014, 09:09:54 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge of quad tendon lengthening? I ask as my surgeon has intimated that should the ROM not improve that's her next option.

Monday I was at PT and on arrival I could only achieve 40 degrees, after torture I managed 55, if I am assisted I manage 70, and on my CPM machine I achieve between 70 and 85 degrees. Having had good days a short while ago, I'm back to feeling that another op will be inevitable. It's been 9 months and 1 day since my slip, and I can envisage seeing a 1 year anniversary fly by and still not be able to drive etc!

Moaning grumpy Frank

support