Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473285 times)

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #930 on: December 17, 2013, 08:41:04 PM »
Two crutches on the stairs sound like disaster awaiting opportunity.  Using the handrail that is on the injured leg side for support going up and down, and crutch under good leg side.  At least that is the way my PT wanted me to do it....arm strength for support on rail....really, isn't your biggest fear falling?  I am a double RPT, so I was given the option of choosing which leg was my "good" leg...ain't that wonderful!!!  Be safe regardless, even if you have to sit and scoot your butt on the stairs!! 

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #931 on: December 17, 2013, 08:50:04 PM »
James. I am sure it will come as no surprise that I was driving myself to work17 days post -op. Mind I am a former driving instructor (to aspiring racing drivers ) and I deemed it less hazardous than turning my wife out of bed at 4.45 to drive me to work, and infinitely less hazardous than using two crutches on any staircase outside of the Grand Staircase in an (empty) Opera House !
  No real surprise either at the behaviour of the different ends of the social spectrum, although alcohol can reduce either to the most primitive level!

Keep up the good fight all!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #932 on: December 17, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »
I love this board.  It's almost enough to compensate for the small matter of its rigorous membership qualification.  So yes, the moment my saintly PT really rolled his eyes when he discovered how I'd been trained, the penny dropped.  Indeed, many have been the times over the last 6 weeks when I have thought "This is genuinely dangerous, but hey ho, here we go."  Remember these are the stairs on which the rupture occurred.  So of course I was paying them a lot of respect, but fearfully.   

The weird thing is that I just can't remember how I got down the stairs 6 and a half years ago.  One reason perhaps is that with a full leg cast, I really didn't move up and down that much for the first 7 weeks.

My wife looked a bit doubtful about the driving, Stuart, but I went to collect daughter #2 from the school carol service tonight and I think she felt a real sense of relief.  It was expressed through the art of mime.  She had silently brought a bottle of Viognier from the fridge by the time I came back.

L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #933 on: December 18, 2013, 09:21:20 PM »
Freedom!

I escaped Colditz style (in my mind) though in truth I was wheeled unceremoniously out in a wheelchair, with my CPM machine across my lap, suitcase on top of that and my two crutches pointing forward like some manic jouster. Any offer of assistance? None!

I'm currently strapped in to my CPM at 55 degrees and rising slowly, hopefully to 70 shortly, and had a formal PT session back at hospital today, passive 65 degrees only, some expletives, and a lesson on how to walk properly. It seems in the last 8 months I've been doing it wrong!

I must admit to having a much more positive outlook even though the medical people have promised me nothing, guessed at a max flex ion of maybe 90-105 degrees, and my knee currently massively swollen. I think it's reading posts on here that does it.

As for driving I can't imagine how I could been get into the front seat let alone drive, I'm going to give it a bash after Xmas and see how we go, I never thought that a trip to the supermarket would thrill me so much.

The other good news I have is that my wound is healing really well, I'm surprised because of the amount of flex ion it's doing in the machine, at least one part of me heals well....I'm guessing that this good healing is what is causing the problem in the first place and that scar tissue builds up quickly with me , in any case I'm in a good mood tonight.

Onwards and upwards folks

Frank

Ps a nutter is a term of endearment it doesn't imply Stuart you should be certified, although reading your exploits I'm not so sure!!
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #934 on: December 19, 2013, 12:50:07 AM »
Well done Frank!  When we option this board for TV sitcom rights, might be worth doing breakaway scene with stolen motorised wheelchair - obviously has to be victimless crime to preserve sympathy for your character so we should come up with back story about some sleazeball wheelchair salesman.  Thinking some slapstick with reverse gear, surprising turn of speed, slowly passing police car as the occupants take down details from control room with plenty of guffaws and so on.

Completely agree about definition of nutter in British idiomatic usage.  Conveys equal parts of affection, incredulity and admiration.

L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #935 on: December 19, 2013, 03:48:51 AM »
James and Frank. Good to hear you are both making progress but I suspect your back-pedalling on the nutter issue owes a lot to the fact that it is only seven days to Christmas and the Jolly Fat Man may be monitoring this!
   Keep up the good work. A positive attitude is an attribute beyond price !
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #936 on: December 19, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
With a great bit of trepidation I took a physical evaluation for a job Tuesday.  I have been evaluated prior for comprehension, language skills, written psychological (5 hour test with over 600 questions) followed by a interview by a clinical psychologist.  So the physical was a big thing.  I had to do manual dexterity, weight lifting, stair climb, and all within time limits.  The physical test was administered by the supervisor of the unit I would be working at (if I got the job...).  I passed the physical with flying colors!  I really sweated bullets before the test, didn't sleep well the night before, said my prayers and dove in.  It was a good experience, and validation of all the work that led up to the test.  I want to think that sweat plus knowledge got me this far...but I also want to thank all of you that contribute to this site because it was our collective knowledge and support that helped me with my PT and eventual full recovery (still a bit farther down the road).  Keep up the posting, and I will keep all my brother and sisters with RPT in my prayers.

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #937 on: December 22, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Greetings from the French Alps.  The terrain is a little treacherous here, but I keep asking myself what would Stuart do, and have dispensed with the crutches as I venture out cautiously for supplies in my new role as Chief Cook.  There's been a lot of soup action.

Slowly but surely the straight leg raises are getting easier.  It's easy enough to get the leg into the air as many times as I like, but a different matter tensing the muscles around the knee as I do so.  Which leads me to ask older members of this board (I speak in terms of tenure, not summers) whether anyone else has started considering the use of pilates-style low intensity tensing and flexing to supplement the regimen of bigger effort?
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #938 on: December 22, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »
James. I suspect Pilates and Yoga would both be beneficial if you have time to work them into your regimen. Interesting post (by Kelly ) on another QTR thread discussing how to rebuild quads. Doesn't seem to be as much of an issue on this one. Certainly wouldn't try pushing heavy weights, but then I decided that 10 years ago. Envy you the Alps!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #939 on: December 23, 2013, 11:47:37 PM »
Fishy here...week 31 and Xmas is just a few days away.  It is amazing how grateful I am to have come so far since my injury.  My strength is slowly returning, my appetite is way too good, I am sleeping now without the assistance of medications, my workouts leave me sweaty, stiff and sore BUT with improvement...ever so small but improvements non the less.  With Xmas, family gathered and awaiting the miracle of the season I would like to take this opportunity to thank all my brother and sister RPT's for their combined support.  Keep up the good work, patience, and add a dose of gratefulness for an enjoyable Xmas.....Bob

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #940 on: December 25, 2013, 02:49:10 AM »
A Merry Christmas to our  Brethren across the Pond for whom  the day has already arrived. As my wife and I spent Christmas Eve exchanging e-mails with our future In-Laws already throwing "Shrimp on the Barbie" in Australia, it was brought home to us that this experience has given us some insight on what it is like to live with, or live with someone with, a disability.
 The injury will heal but in terms of our outlook our lives are forever changed. We do indeed have much to celebrate. In this I would include the opportunity to share the ups and downs of the recovery process with new Friends on this site.
   Compliments of the Season to everyone!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #941 on: December 25, 2013, 08:51:51 PM »
Seasons greetings to everyone, Santa failed to deliver my new knee, but did manage a spanking new iMac computer, god bless him!!

Hope everyone is staying warm and snow free (ergo slip free).

Staples out this Friday, hopefully swelling will go away soon, feels like a huge air pocket!!!

Right, back to the manual.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

Frank

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #942 on: December 27, 2013, 08:04:07 PM »
I survived Christmas!!!  Merry Christmas (belated) to all my brother and sister RPTers.  What with all the extended family, grand kids, etc., we celebrated (ripped open gifts) on both Dec 25 & 26.  We ate our way thru each day and I got to be cook....king crab, ham and home made scalloped potatoes (thanks to Emerle Legassi recipe) and turkey, prime rib, scalloped potatoes (great a 2nd time!) with broccoli, and home made pumpkin dessert.  No, I didn't collapse my knee hauling trays of food back and forth, no the two dogs that are the size of a buick didn't tackle me, no the grand kids didn't push me down....life was good.  Stay healthy and be patient.... wishing you all safe and speedy recoveries!!

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #943 on: December 28, 2013, 03:32:39 AM »
Well what a day yesterday was, 3 loads of pain! Firstly my scheduled physio, still struggling with swelling managed a mere 55 degrees increasing to 60 by the end of session. Decided to go to the ortho clinic while at the hospital to check out the swelling, what a good move that was, they decided to put a drain in and removed a huge 540 mls of fluid by the end of that process it hurt like hell! Then out came the staples and the third load of pain.

Im now bandaged up once again but the knee does feel a little more free, so fingers crossed that the fluid removal has done the trick.

CPM machine the best I have achieved is 80 degrees on xmas day, but 65 is a good average....aiming now back for 90-100.

Well done Fishy, sounds like a tasty menu and what a relief to have survived without incident.

TTFN

Frank

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #944 on: December 28, 2013, 06:14:20 PM »
Frank,  what a day you had!  With the staples removed and fluid drained I'm sure you are relieved to be resting.. the pain I can understand...and I keep you and all my brothers and sister RPTers in my prayers.  Stay strong and patient....you are on the road to recovery ....bob

support