Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 467228 times)

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #915 on: December 13, 2013, 11:19:30 AM »
Ward 14 update Friday lunchtime day 3 post 2nd op.

Have now been strapped into the CPM machine on an off for 3 days and it's set to a max of 105 degrees, bearing in mind all I could achieve pre op was 55 I am really pleased with the improvement. The surgeon said that I had some heavy duty lesions under the wound sticking to my quad tendon so no wonder nothing was working.

On my own I've achieved 75 degrees the day after the op but had an easier day yesterday and I have 2 pt's hovvering as I type! Time for some work methinks.

More to follow after pt session
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #916 on: December 13, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »
You're authentically in hospital when 11.19am is lunchtime!  Really pleased to hear of your progress, Frank, and it must be of some mournful satisfaction to understand there was indeed a fairly blunt physical reason for not having the movement.

How long are you staying in the Land of the Early Lunch?

Visited the PT yesterday - we had a long old chat about countermanding the OS but in the end chickened out and won't take the brace off lock until next week, as instructed.  "Cold" ROM currently 65 degrees and then that loosens up with manipulation (as indeed it does in the bath) by another 10-15 degrees.  Heel sliding and pressing like it's not going out of fashion.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #917 on: December 13, 2013, 01:51:42 PM »
Ward 14 afternoon cup of tea time,

Lunch as always was disgusting, minestrone soup which was probably yesterday's foul tomato soup leftover with last nights veggies thrown in. A ham sandwich and some new world record for thinness of the ham, no butter of course but the vile delights of some sort of oily spread.

Anyway enough of the horrors of mealtimes, my OS has been to see me and she's letting me take the CPM machine home so I an get maximum use over Xmas and new year with some exercises to do in accompaniment. I also got to view the wound, bloody hell the wound us at least an inch longer and had been stapled as before but this time there were 5 very big staples about an inch and a half wide and were there to keep the wound stable because if the use of the CPM  machine.

All in all I'm very happy at the moment I have increased movement ( not of the bowel). I am to be released Monday I hope so a weekend if gruel then back to the wife's cooking... Hmmm more gruel!

I will comment more on other posts when I have access other than this tiny phone!

Take care everyone and many thanks for your kind words

Frank

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #918 on: December 14, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
19 weeks ago at this moment was in the OR. Celebrated this morning by doing my 50th hike (post surg.) up the Grouse Grind. Had my first fall on the trail Thursday night; no drama but nevertheless I was glad I was wearing my brace, locked at 120deg ROM. Life must go on!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #919 on: December 14, 2013, 09:05:47 PM »
Stuart well done on your achievements, just do be careful, Im sure you dont want to go through all this again!

I've worked out that taking Tramadol is about as useful as clapping hands for the pain, so back on the morphine now.

Getting stir crazy, need to get home and soon!

All the best guys

Frank

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #920 on: December 15, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
Stuart, is there some kinetic energy transfer between your walking up and the grouse being ground?  In any case, I too am grateful for your having that brace on. 
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #921 on: December 15, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »
Morning, Frank - thought I might say hello if you were about to enjoy the joys of lunch with your phone.  This Tramadol, eh?  My wife took one and it disagreed with her, and it's not doing anything for you - whereas at the first and only sign of discomfort I took two and quite literally flew from the morning to the evening without really caring about anything at all, although someone else's leg was occasionally hurting when I periodically surfaced to focus on Radio 4.  This was so enjoyable an experience I determined that Thursday was going to be the only day spent with Tramadol because otherwise it would want to move in with me and I'd say yes.  These were, I should add, the unused Tramadol which hadn't persuaded my wife of their merits.  Perhaps in the intervening months they had aged well, like a fast maturing wine.

Here's to your freedom tomorrow, and to the entire North Shore Mountains of British Columbia, for Stuart's hiking reports have made me Google the Grouse Grind and I am proper envious, as we would say in South London.  I think I have been up the stairs 50 times since my injury...
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #922 on: December 15, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
Ward 14, evening update.

Reading your posts SE always cheers me up, especially at the moment, all the cheer is gratefully received. Stuarts exploits up his grind bring me out in a cold sweat, the thought of marching up and down the likes of the Cairngorms fill me with dread, as do stairs to be honest, I seem to have developed a stair phobia having had a couple of mishaps over the last few months.

I'm now off the tramadol and back on some opiate that I have no clue as to a name, I must ask when they bring them round this evening, or I'll try a sneaky peak in my notes later when they're not looking.....when the X factor is on should be good, they seem to be engrossed in that drivel. You must have had some reaction to the tramadol to cause your effects, you sure you weren't given E's?

Today's physio saw me achieve 67 degrees under my own steam, but the resultant stiffness, and swelling this afternoon has meant no further physio today but a couple sessions on the machine, which I am currently on just now, sat at a mere 60 degrees but increasing by 5 degrees every few minutes, hopefully i can achieve 90 by 8.30 - 9.00 pm

It's looking more and more likely I will be escaping tomorrow afternoon, with my CPM machine under my arm, and a big bag of pills.

If I knew how to post a pic I would show these massive staples I have in, they must be an inch and a half wide!

Overall it's good news, I can bend my leg more than I could pre-op and can maintain that so I'm a happy chappy.

Good luck all, my thoughts are with you all

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #923 on: December 15, 2013, 11:37:29 PM »
Frank, just got back from my hike, so it may be lights out for you by now, but I had to rescue a damsel in distress - a silly female who was totally unprepared for the icy conditions. Fortunately I carry spare crampons for just such an eventuality. Hopefully she learned a lesson before she winds up a member of our club. You mentioned going up and down the Cairngorms. The beauty of the Grind is the Aerial tram which transports you back down, a good thing as my PT specifically forbids my climbing down. Truth be told he is not enamoured of my being on the hill at all at this time of year but it is a habit verging on an obsession!
  Good luck with your escape tomorrow as a new phase starts.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #924 on: December 16, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »
Week 30 begins....no real issues as I progress...my quads still need to be strengthened.  I was walking with my sweetie while holding hands and she stopped suddenly....and I found out my "reverse" still needs work....I can't rotate with any strength so I "almost" spun to the ground.  Note to self...."add some rotation to my workout".....otherwise, things are progressing nicely.  I am so grateful to this website and all my brothers and sisters taking this journey, I can relate to your issues and I'm sure you relate to mine.  I'm taking my rehab seriously, so back to the gym with new resolution.  Stay strong my brothers and sisters with RPT.... stay strong and keep posting.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #925 on: December 16, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
Stuart, my personal view is that you're a nutter, but certainly a driven one!

Fishy, reverse gear is a big issue as is lateral stability, I'm sure your PT will get you there, it certainly sounds you're progressing in the right direction.

As for my escape.... It didn't happen, I'm still incarcerated! Last night I noticed considerable swelling in my knee when I took my jiggers off oh my god it was huge and all squishy with fluid, the doc saw it this morning and ordered an ultrasound and possible drain..... That scan is scheduled for tomorrow blooming morning so I have to stay in for now, swelling still present, in fact my knee is so big I'm thinking of asking the post office to issue it a postcode!

SE the drug I'm on isOxyContin if that's any use to know, they do seem to work as a slow release painkiller

Good luck to all

Frank

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #926 on: December 16, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
Frank, I had to look up what a "nutter" is. Very funny.

Fishy, I agree with the rotation thing, I have to watch myself getting in my pickup so as to not put too much twist on the leg on the ground. I also still abhor crowds not knowing if I can react fast enough if someone changes directions around me.

I am gaining on my stride.

11weeks tomorrow for the spill down the stairs.

Thanks again for the support, Dave.
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #927 on: December 17, 2013, 02:05:56 AM »
Frank. Many a true word is spoken in jest! I hope !
    You certainly have the worst luck. Is your last name Murphy by any chance? As I write this after work it is already 2am your time, so I trust things go well for you later today. Fingers crossed. Time you had some good fortune!
 Fishy and mojo, my PT had me working from the start on a lateral balance board ( made by fitter first ), probably the hardest part of my regimen. Pays dividends though !
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #928 on: December 17, 2013, 10:40:33 AM »
Oh Frank - very sorry to read that.  A real pain in the obverse upper leg.  But your powers of discernment, both on behalf of my developing drugs habit and for Stuart's frank insanity on the Grouse Grind, are undimmed.  That's what's important right now, even if we can indeed see your knee using Google Earth.

Back at the opera for Carmen last night, this time on a loose chair (just the one), for that and Crystal Palace FC are my two non-cycling obsessions (if you average these two out, it comes to something like wholesome family movies in terms of cultural identification).  Beginning to really understand how to use a pair of crutches to advantage with lifts and stairs, but also struck by the brutal self-interest of the metropolitan upper-middle classes when there's liquor involved.  Going anywhere near the bar was extraordinarily hazardous for being knocked down by thirsty dowagers and investment bankers.  In contrast, Palace fans had been all concern and care ("Oh, sorry mate" - "You alright there?" - "No chum, after you").  That, my friends, is a level of class solidarity of which Karl Marx could only dream.

PT tonight, and the unlocking of the brace to 40 degrees.  Very excited.  If we were younger and better connected, I'd be live tweeting it.

Onward and upward.  And fast drainage to you, Frank.

L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #929 on: December 17, 2013, 08:18:53 PM »
Sorry.  I'm back because I am excited and insufficiently self-aware to realise you won't necessarily find my news so exciting.  But it turns out that the great thing about my brace is that is has no 40 degree setting.  No, you have to go straight to 45 degrees.  And for some reason that seems to be enough to drive the car around the block with no difficulties (I think actually it's slipping and I am really bending it a bit more).  But anyway, ROM about 70 degrees before warming up and very smooth.  Quite a bit of strength left in the leg.  Now/finally onto straight leg raises for the quads, side raises, hamstring stretching and some shifting from foot to foot which seems awfully familiar from day 1 post-op onwards. 

This wasn't the big surprise, though - that was the fact that I had been told to use two crutches on the stairs rather than one and the bannister.  My PT was a bit affronted by this.  Any consensus out there?

Frank, how are you doing?  And Omar, where are you?     
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013