Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473250 times)

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
    • Quadriceps Tendon Rupture Blog
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #900 on: December 03, 2013, 11:31:34 PM »
A quick update from my side. Today was my second physical therapy session and I was able to bend my knee (with help) 35 degrees. Getting a little better. However, I still cannot contract my quad muscle(s) that much, so they used an electrical muscle stimulation (EMS), also known as neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) or electromyostimulation. It was my first time with this type of machine, it does help with muscle contraction using those electric impulses; however, I don't see much of a difference once I came back home.

Question for the experts on the thread. Have you used EMS and does it make sense to spend a few $$ to buy one? The physical therapist told me that I will just use it during PT, but wanted to get your opinion if it is worth buying one.

Hope you all are doing great! Frank again, sorry for the waste of time you experienced and hope everything gets sorted out soon!

Thanks!
Omar
Quad tendon rupture accident - Nov 7, 2013
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013
First Physical Therapy Session - Nov 29

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #901 on: December 04, 2013, 01:36:43 AM »
So first of all, much solidarity for you, Frank - what a complete snafu.  Especially as the machine was there all the time.  It's not the inefficiency or the lack of process thinking - it's the getting yourself all psyched up only for there to be no place to go that I object to on your behalf.  In fact I am getting so outraged thinking about it I realise it's getting to be more about me than you.  Anyway, if we have a UK chapter meeting one of these days you're definitely not buying the first round.

Omar, the ROM will come.  I also suspect there is a lot of variability.  I emerged from the cast last time with a comedy locked knee.  I could have worked a full winter season of pantomime appearances as a pirate.  This time it's unofficially already about 60 degrees outside the bath and 70-80 in it after 5 minutes of soaking.  First PT is Thursday though I recognise I'd be doing cross-training by now if I were recovering with Stuart  :)

I write to you, my brothers by other mothers, from New York City.  In getting here I have struck a mighty blow for the rights, aspirations and carbon footprints of quads tendon repairees everywhere.  It all went very well on the way out - hobbled to the special assistance desk at T5 Heathrow (which sensibly is by the door) and they selected an especially small person to push me and my case through security (special procedure in which you don't get out of the wheelchair, but then nobody is surprised when you leap out to repack your bag post-scanner*) and onto the C gates at Terminal 5 - quite early, but you need to be there early to get on first.

Because of long-standing abuse of the environment I have lounge access but there is no lounge at the C gates.  Neither here nor there, but to my amazement the guy struggling manfully with my impressive bulk took me to Starbucks over there and said "You can have anything you want - well, anything up to 15".  So they have a special provision for people requiring wheelchair access who have lounge access but who have to miss out.  Bizarre.  Who thought that up? Other members of the queue thought it critical to spend the whole 15 ("Get lots of muffins," said one person helpfully but in quite a serious tone), but I am afraid I only had the heart to add some mints to my Americano.  Plus it turns out they have a special tunnel underneath the monorail transit for buggies, but apparently it would have been too cold at this time of year.  By the time I discovered this it was too late to say "Sod the cold.  I've been coming to this bloody airport for 25 years and I have never been in a secret tunnel."

At JFK there was someone waiting by the door - someone even smaller and frailer than the guy who'd laboured to get me through Heathrow - and we set off on our journey past the queue to the passport counter for special assistance passengers (yes, there is one).  Off the plane and through into the arrivals hall in 15 minutes flat.

Tomorrow morning is the last injection of Clexane to my poor bruised stomach and then back home.  Work objectives accomplished but with a strong sense of flying the flag for team Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon.

* Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0DvK7saV0I
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #902 on: December 04, 2013, 03:37:27 AM »
Thank you SE27!! Best wishes in your travel! I had a similar experience when this happened to me. I was delivering a couple of presentations at a conference in Cancun when this happened. Had to travel from Cancun to Chicago and then to Raleigh, NC. A very fragile lady was pushing my wheelchair in Chicago through customs. I felt bad for her, since I am 6' 3" and 260 lbs. It was a horrible experience for me and most definitely for her too ;-)

BTW, that video was hilarious!!  ;D

Safe travels and fast recovery!
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #903 on: December 04, 2013, 08:24:58 AM »
Thanks guys for the sympathy, and yes it isnt the fact that the op was cancelled last second but the fact I got myself psyched up for it, was prepared for the 2/3 nights in the hospital. The NHS is not an institution I would recommend to our friends over the pond! You may have issues with your system but as long as you're covered by insurance it would seem the treatments you receive are far superior to what we are subjected to here.

Omar I have never experienced such a machine but then again my quad was powerful pre accident and needed very little work to get working properly. The issue I have is that I had a great shape a bit like a sprinters, (i'm not one nor would anyone describe me as one...sloth would be closer) its now more cylindrical, I am supposing this is due to the way I limp around and not fully firing the muscle. I would hang off with any purchase for the time being if I were you, see how things develop, remember this is a marathon not a sprint!!!

SE, wow, brilliant, how did you manage to fly? Did you have to have the seats next you free to put your leg up or are you fortunate enough to be in the privileged section of the aircraft? My wonderful wife, daughter and grandkids went away on holiday to Cyprus without me because I would have to have purchased 3 seats one for bum and two for leg (and she claims to love me!!)

Oh..SE Im a Yorkshireman, I dont buy first rounds in any case!! :P
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #904 on: December 04, 2013, 07:06:26 PM »
Frank. Sorry to hear about your run-around, our Canadian system is good but one is always in danger of getting"bumped" by a more urgent case. For this I should be thankful , as I am sure my surgery pre-empted someone else!
Seems like your missed holiday is adding insult to injury!

SE. Good for you for making the best of the situation. Enjoy The Big Apple!

Omar. I think you are referring to what my PT calls the STIM, I only use it whilst doingleg presses so I wouldn't think it worth the cost. With use you will soon start to regain muscle strength, and they will fire themselves.

Keep up the good work everyone and enjoy the Festive Season.

For the record Frank, my Mother was from Swinton (a Woffinden) but I was born in St.Andrews and educated in Perthshire, while my parents worked in West Africa, before coming to Canada. I also have a daughter living in London , so much common ground!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #905 on: December 05, 2013, 11:17:08 AM »
More flying news and the first trip to the PT.  Return home was great (Frank, yes, our travel policy is very generous about long haul and I was in a flat seat in business).  A moment of middle-aged fandom when John McEnroe could just be spotted flitting like a pine marten from the lounge and turning extreme left on entering the plane, followed by the almost wordless pleasure of getting driven in the foot tunnel underneath the transit train from the C gates to passport control (see vital evidence attached, with Hitchcockian presence of auteur).

PT this morning - great guy on recommendation and I really did feel cheered up by how smart he was and his familiarity with the injury and its treatment.  On the table ROM of 45-50 degrees on the flat, although that increased quite fast with gentle heel slide reps.  So my three exercises for the next few days (whenever I get a moment; no precise regimen) are:

- heel slides
- lateral massage of patella
- press-downs "at 50% of effort" for 10 seconds

Good tendon gliding to all.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #906 on: December 09, 2013, 11:07:39 PM »
It's poor form to post twice in a row (unless you're replying to different people, of course) so I apologise.  But I feel a compulsive need to report in having seen the OS again.  Still in locked brace for one more week and can then be opened up to 40 degrees and thereafter 10 degrees each week.  OS very happy with general appearance of knee.  More PT later in the week.

In broader lifestyle developments, I have conquered my newfound fear of London Underground escalators - a major cognitive leap when I realised it doesn't matter if you don't land the good foot exactly on one section because it is going to stay flat for 2 metres and have celebrated over the last few days with a trip to the theatre (aisle seat) and a trip to Crystal Palace FC for a second successive win (two aisle seats - that's having your cake and eating it).  I am frankly amazed at the late availability of aisle seats.  It will require strength of character not to Misuse the Power of the Brace in future.

Trusting that board silence denotes extraordinary levels of fitness and outdoors activity from everyone, and that you are all well and happy.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #907 on: December 09, 2013, 11:48:17 PM »
I had a doctor appt. last week, week 9 after ruptures. He was pleased with my progress. I am now driving again and he is allowing me to go braceless in comfortable situations ( home, office). PT is adding more weight to exercises, up to 7.5 lbs. on each leg. Also adding balancing exercises and started on the treadmill to work on my gait on Friday. We got enough snow last week to make walking a challenge. All in all very happy with my gains over the past couple of weeks.
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #908 on: December 10, 2013, 02:43:53 AM »
WOW!! That's great mojocpa!! You are making excellent progress! Way to go!

I am now on week 4 after surgery and still cannot bend my knee more than 40 degrees. However, I now can lift my leg (cautiously on my own). I still help it with the leg lifter (sling), but can lift it with the brace about 12-18 inches from the ground.

It feels like my recovery is taking a bit longer than I was expecting. but like a few mentioned, this is not a sprint, it is a marathon... and I am staying positive.

Hope you guys are doing great!!

Have a nice one!
Omar
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #909 on: December 10, 2013, 08:13:26 PM »
Brief update via my phone so I apologise if this is garbled.

I had a phone call yesterday (Monday) morning to be on standby for today. So I had to fast from midnight, received a call again this morning to be in for 11am today (Tuesday). I was operated on at 2.30 and was conscious via a spinal numbing wotsit, about 90 mins of slashing and the unmistakable sound if a stapler later I was presented with the surreal picture of my leg being contorted and lifted, this was bizarre it looked like comedy legs in a Sketch show!!

I am now on a ward strapped into a CPM machine set to 105 degrees, WOW I could only manage 55 before so I'm well chuffed! I'm told I will be here till after the weekend as they want the use if this machine before it has to go back to the hire company.

No pain at the moment but them I'm pumped full of meds, once they wear off I told they put me onto a morphine push... Yaay, I get to have great dreams!!!!!

Well that's my update

Everyone stay safe

Frank
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #910 on: December 10, 2013, 11:22:39 PM »
That's great news, Frank.  Keep us posted. Sella.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #911 on: December 11, 2013, 12:06:47 AM »
Great news, Frank!  May I personally recommend Tramadol after the morphine.  Probably not at the same time, though.  There are limits, even for the most hedonistic quads tendon repairee.

You've really intrigued me about the CPM machine.  I looked it up on Google images just now, and was admiring the attached picture - that looked like a happy customer against a white background where all distracting objects and people had been magically removed by opiates - when I realised the filename was "Older-Gent-On-CPM2".  And that bloke looked entirely normal to me and not in any way aged.  How sobering.

L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #912 on: December 11, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
No stopping you now Frank! Not sure I could have handled being awake through that!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #913 on: December 12, 2013, 01:02:24 AM »
Frank....one word....wow.  I think if we ask everyone who would opt for anything but full anesthesia I'm sure everyone would raise their hand.  Its the sound and smell that would make me queasy.  Keep up the great work....be patent, and keep posting!

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #914 on: December 13, 2013, 04:16:15 AM »
Outstanding news Frank!!! Way to go!!! Many blessings and keep it up!!
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

support