Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 468112 times)

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
    • Quadriceps Tendon Rupture Blog
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #840 on: November 14, 2013, 12:21:17 AM »
Thank you Stuart Rulka!

I am trying to do a bit more research and will document everything at: http://quadtendonrupture.wordpress.com

I started that blog so others that are experiencing the same can learn from it. If anyone is interested on contributing I will be more than glad to collaborate. This thread already has tons of good information!

Thank you for sharing!!!

Quad tendon rupture accident - Nov 7, 2013
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013
First Physical Therapy Session - Nov 29

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #841 on: November 14, 2013, 02:16:12 AM »
Omar. After I made the decision to opt for a General one of the nurses confided to me that I made a good choice as a side effect of the Spinal can be urinary incontinence. Even if this is temporary you will have enough on your plate post surgery without the embarrassment of perhaps peeing yourself. Incidentally if it helps put your mind at rest I had absolutely no post-op pain, to the surprise of my OS.

Good luck!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #842 on: November 14, 2013, 08:12:49 AM »
With regards to anaesthetic here in the UK, under the NHS, and I stand to be corrected, you don't get a choice, I certainly wasn't. I was put under with a general.

You don't get choice for much here to be honest, e.g. I am soon to have scar tissue removed, released or whatever it is they do to get rid....I have only read of this being done arthroscopically, but I am having my knee fully opened up again!

Good luck today with your surgery Omar, keep us up to date with your progress.

Stuart, yet again you had some good fortune with no post op pain, once my pain meds had worn off I had the most awful 12 hours until things settled down. I was dosed with Oramorph (low dose oral morphine liquid) now and then, another downside of the NHS, if youre on a ward thats busy, youre promised the pain meds, then you get to wait hours for them, I recall my good lady wife going nuts with the staff for leaving me so long.

Anyhoo, onwards and upwards, good luck to all with their rehabs

Frank
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #843 on: November 14, 2013, 08:24:29 AM »
Omar - welcome and good luck today - it will be fine.  In fact the recovery room opoids will be a distinct highlight, and if you've not had surgery before, I predict you will have the following experiences in the next 24 hours:

- unquestioning agreement with the protocol of using a black marker pen to draw a crude arrow on your calf to indicate which limb to operate on (believe it or not, "never" events did happen when they didn't do this)
- amazement that this ridiculous gown is meant to fit you, followed by grudging acceptance that nobody's going to see you like that after you're back on the trolley and they've put the blankets on
- the relief they're so pleased to see you in pre-op, followed by the thought that actually, that's quite a core skill for people preparing patients for surgery (my favourite line from an anaesthetist: "Don't worry, you're safe here" - up to that point it hadn't occurred to me I wasn't)
- massive gratitude for the combination of male anatomical design and conventional use of the bluntly named "single use male urine bottle" (direct by name, but discreet by nature) because actually, you will prefer to stay exactly where you are when you first come round
- a dim awareness that life after 1848 and the invention of anaesthesia is to be preferred to life before (even taking into account all that high living and great culture and throwing off the colonial yoke)

SellaVee - I am going on work health insurance for this episode so have kind of assumed I am going to ask for the Sports Injury Clinic people.  As a family we've been there quite a lot, sometimes covered and sometimes not.  They are about £35-40 a session retail, which adds up to a bit for a course of treatment but they are incredibly good.  Are you in South London?

Frank550 - really sorry to hear about follow-up.  For Omar's benefit, I'd add that I too had a brief period where it hurt this time - I had a general and they put a 24 hour block in the knee.  Bang on 24 hours later, it started to throb a bit. I was operated on in the evening, so 24 hours later was night time - I swallowed 2 paracetamol (Tynenol) and 2 ibuprofen (standard NSAID - don't know how it's marketed in the US) and went to sleep - next morning it was really hurting and I had two Tramadol first thing, and another couple over the next 24 hours.  Complete indifference to anything for that period, but I also realised it was time to move on from Tramadol before I fell completely in love with it.  As to getting things done in NHS hospitals, we've had a lot of time in them this year.  One of the nurses who looked after me last week was doing an agency shift during her NHS maternity leave.  She said "It's great here but I do get a bit bored.  In my NHS hospital I have 12 patients to look after and here it's 2."  That's all you need to know about why these guys constantly forget things they'd cheerfully do for you if they could only remember.  Human memory doesn't cope with many more than 7-8 items in short term.  So you have to keep calm and carry on asking.  A lot.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #844 on: November 14, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »
SE27, that made me smile reading through the first 24 hours. It brought back those memories, especially the huge fashion statement I was having to wear which could have covered a horse let alone me!

As for those lovely pee bottles, my first night I think I filled 6 or 7 through the night, not sure I was very popular, perhaps thats why my oramorph was delayed!!!

Blackmarker pen, they did twice one below and one above the knee, just in case....when my cast came off the ink was still there !!!

Insurance....this episode has spurred us on to take it out, we procrastinated over it and wished we hadn't now. Its costing me the trifling sum of £56 a month, which is cheap for peace of mind. (Daughter, son in law and 3 grandkids all covered for £88 a month also) sound like an advert now!

Time for a brew (Thats tea to our friends across the pond)

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #845 on: November 14, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »
Thank you for the replies folks and for making me feel better!!!
I am "ready" for the surgery tomorrow and will provide an update when I am able to go online after the surgery.

Thanks again for your support!!!

Regards,
Omar
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #846 on: November 14, 2013, 11:19:27 PM »
Omar - of course and sorry to rush you into theatre.  Good luck tomorrow, not today.  You ruptured your quads tendon, not the space time continuum.   But we're still waiting to hear how you get on with the drugs, the pee bottles, the gown, the marker pen, etc.  Oh yes.

Frank - that sounds a pretty good deal to me.  I am really in two minds about the insurance thing.  My previous orthopaedic episode was a really messed up wrist (cluster£$&R on the bike on the Mall - no other traffic or cycle superhighways involved - really hope CCTV footage has been lost from one of the UK's most monitored spaces). 

With the presence of mind given even to those in shock, I rang my wife who works round the corner to take my bike and got a taxi to take me to St Thomas's (note for international readers: the National Health Service hospital nearest the Houses of Parliament - predictably, stuffed with outstanding care and elite clinicians).  First attempt at open reduction didn't quite work, so they called in the Wrist Man.  He was the single most impressive professional I have ever met in any discipline.  He was also accompanied by a minimum of three acolytes at all times, each of whom was pretty much writing down every word he said.  He went through the X-rays with me and made me understand my wrist joint was crazy paving and that he couldn't promise too much.  Two operations later, I now have an all but perfectly functioning right wrist. 

So for me it's very hard to make a clinical case for private over public if you are in a position to select your hospital carefully, but where there's an overnight stay involved, it really does help to know they will remember your meds on time and might even get you an extra cup of coffee now and then.  But with trauma I'd always be trying to get under the care of someone at the peak of their powers in a teaching hospital who does a couple of private lists a week.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #847 on: November 15, 2013, 12:44:04 PM »
SE you jammy *********, I have though scoured youtube and yet to find your "incident". You certainly fell (scuse pun) on your feet being so close to the seat of government when you had your accident. I find myself in an understaffed and underwhelming area of central scotland's NHS system. Probably punishment postings come here!

I recall the A&E dept on my arrival in an ambulance to be told waiting times were about 4 hours, (I was climbing the wall in pain - my rupture took a piece of bone with it) no meds for 4 hrs, the joy....

Whilst waiting an ambulance brought in a lovely chap, mid 20's maybe, off his face, drink drugs who knows, was then told waiting was 7 hours and like Lazarus rose from his bed, shouted "f**^ yoos - I aint waitin" and walked out!

Wheeled into the treatment section and heard a nurse announce to the waiting throng, probably 40/50 souls in the dept waiting, they were also told waiting was 7 hours, miracle cures abounded as half walked out. This defines the NHS today for me, many folks using the a&e dept instead of their GP's.

Omar should be done soon, lets hope he has a successful op!

Goodluck to everyone with rehab

Frank

ps just found out I am lightly pencilled in for my surgery on 3rd December, if they can find a CPM Machine
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:59:33 PM by Frank550, Reason: addition »

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #848 on: November 15, 2013, 02:06:42 PM »
Good luck Omar!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #849 on: November 15, 2013, 05:44:21 PM »
Oh Frank, you had a really rough time - very sorry to read through that one.  And the point about the bit of bone coming away with the tendon really registered.  In contrast this injury on both occasions has involved white light levels of pain instantaneously (interestingly, Mrs SE remarked that from the next room, the precise sound of the shriek was the same as the one I made 6 and half years ago), followed by no pain at all apart from the day or so after surgery, and that very moderate and completely manageable.  Obviously there was some very coarse language as well, but I've used that occasionally in the intervening period so that's less of a diagnostic clue.

Your A&E timewasters and miracle cures just reinforce my belief that our whole concept of emergency medicine is broken.  The combination of excessive demand and a simplistic targets culture mean that clinicians are addressing a problem called "How do I get rid of these people?", not "What is the best treatment for these people?".  One of my extended family is recovering successfully from lymphoma.  It was belatedly diagnosed on the second visit to A&E with acute secondary symptoms - and then only after the nurse standing behind the registrar shook her head and mouthed "No!" when he was saying "Look, I think we've done all we can here now - are you OK to go home and the GP practice can take it from there?".  Next day, new shift: fresh eyes and ears and a CT scan - admitted within an hour and didn't leave for six weeks (because the secondary symptoms and overall weakness had got such a head start, and because chemo had to start asap).

Meanwhile, you can be sure A&E was processing the usual suspects in the holding pattern outside, and tying up too many of their resources in minors who really could have been treated at their GP, leaving the majors people understaffed and desperate to keep the flow going.  The cost of not having picked this up at the first A&E encounter?  Chemo per se doesn't require admission.  6 weeks on a conservative basis is about £15,000 in the NHS in terms of amortised cost per bed night.  It's not a very effective way of saving money.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:51:55 PM by SE27Eagle »
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #850 on: November 15, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »
Hi Santosomar.  Welcome to our very exclusive club.  Fishy here...23 weeks post surgery, double RPT.  My surgery was in a VA hospital in Anchorage, Alaska.  Monday, May 27th was memorial day and the day I had surgery.  MY OS was an amazing doc....as down to earth as they come.  When I was asked my preference in the OR the last word I remember saying was "general"....and he knew I wasn't referring to any rank in the Army.  I am, in my own words, an "old fart", and at 66 I've run a gazillion marathons, so I am reasonably fit for my age...but wasn't prepared for waking up with braces on both legs.  I called myself "the human lawn dart"... cuz you could have picked me up and thrown me and I would have stuck in the lawn like a dart.  The first 9 weeks were "not fun" wearing braces. This whole experience is a journey that has taught me many lessons, first and foremost is "patience".  Your journey will have many bumps along the way (as we all have at one time or another).  Be patient, ask for help, be proactive with your recovery...you will learn a great deal about yourself along the way.  And to all my brothers and sisters taking this journey I keep you in my prayers....

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #851 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to say thanks again for your support and wanted to give you an update. Today was my surgery and I am very glad that (so far) everything went well. To be honest, I was a bit scared, since this was my first surgery. Now I am off to a long recovery.

I was given the option of different types of anesthesia (spinal block, epidural, and general anesthesia). The anesthesiologist suggested general anesthesia (even though I already had my mind set on that option, since I wanted to be completely unaware of what was going on. He also suggested a femoral nerve block for post-surgery pain control. I really took his advice and had him administer it. This nerve block is very effective, as I didnít have any pain after the surgery.

The only pain I had right after the surgery was a soar throat and a bit of discomfort in the back of my leg. The soar throat was because when you get general anesthesia, they place an endotracheal tube or laryngeal mask to protect your airway and lungs during surgery and help you breath. The doctors removed it before I woke up.

The surgery lasted for about 1 and 1/2 hours and I was at the recovery room for another hour or so. It was an outpatient procedure and I was sent back home the same day.

The hospital provided me with a "Breg Polar Cube Cold Therapy" (well, I am pretty sure that my insurance will be charged for it).

It is great! You donít have to worry about putting ice at specific times. As the nerd I am, I personally do a bit of home automation using INSTEON technology for my lights, garage door, and other things around the house. I put the Polar Cube to an appliance INSTEON switch and created a script to turn it on every 30 minutes.

The following are the medications I was prescribed:

• Percocet - pain reliever.
  • Keflex Ė an anti-bacterial drug
  • Protonix - To reduce the potential of heartburn because of the other medications
  • GeriCare stool softener, since some of these medications and the anesthesia can cause constipation

Overall (so far) I am happy with the procedure. Hopefully, tonight I will be able to sleep ok and donít wake up with any pain; and the recovery will take less than expected.
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #852 on: November 15, 2013, 11:08:25 PM »
Hi Fishy,

Great to virtually meet you. Thanks for the kind words and sharing your story. I am 40 years old, but sounds like you are in wayyyyy better shape than me. I was not an athlete per-se, but was in the US Marines for a few years and have tried to go to the gym to maintain in shape. Unfortunately, I blame myself for not keeping up with healthy eating and with exercise for the last year and a half. Something that I am definitely taking serious now.

Thanks again for your thoughts and support!!!

All, Have a nice weekend!!!

Omar
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #853 on: November 15, 2013, 11:41:09 PM »
Well done, Omar - on the way now!  And however much we're all old enough to know better, it's never that much fun waiting to have surgery or even just contemplate going under with a general anaesthetic, so much better to be this side of your date with destiny.   

10 days after surgery and tonight I walked around to the pub on crutches with our friends who are up from Cornwall (250 miles away, so it seemed only fair to make an effort for half a mile or so).  Knee a little tender so elevating now to pay for my outing, but good to be free under my own steam rather than being driven everywhere.  And a frisson of excitement going down the steps from one bar to the other after a couple of drinks, but not quite the black run exhilaration of co-ordinating stepping on and off three sets of fast moving department store escalators on crutches just before the operation.  Looking back that might have been a bit reckless.   

Responsible pain management and diligent rehab to all of you.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #854 on: November 16, 2013, 12:37:15 AM »
Omar, whew....you made it...we all were holding our collective breath.  Of all the drugs you are taking/going to take believe me the stool softener is THE most important....I swear that I was giving birth with my first BM after surgery.....  Hope I made ya laugh.  The journey begins, enjoy the ride, you just might discover something new and exciting!!

support