Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 458257 times)

Offline D.S.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
  • I climbed this North Face, Mount Joffre, 3450m
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #780 on: August 10, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
@John42 - thanks so much for the link. I learned a lot.

@Bearkev - Keep up the good work. I hope you have complete success. A lot of work ahead for sure. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:55:32 PM by D.S. »

Offline vince99frc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #781 on: August 20, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
Hello everyone I am new.  I ruptured my quad tendon playing basketball.  I have read most of the post.  I am 7 weeks post surgery as of today.  I have been walking around with a brace since day one.  I have been reading some doing straight leg raises sooner than other.  I am a big guy.  6 foot 7 and weigh 280lbs.  I am sure my leg is heavy.  I attempt to do a straight leg raise and I cant keep it in full extension while raising.  I have a slight bend.  It also hurts when I attempt to do a straight leg or extend my knee when I am sitting.  Please tell me this is normal at this point and when should I be able to extend my knee.  When were you able to extend your knee fully during a straight leg raise or just extending the knee.

Thanks in advance..

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #782 on: August 24, 2013, 07:42:26 AM »
Vince99, I ruptured my both patellar tendons and I am 6 weeks post op and still can not do a leg lift, nor does my OS want me doing them.  When standing with the crutches, I do standing leg lifts where I swing my legs, one at a time forward.  I started doing them per my PT without flexing my quad after the third weeks and now do them flexing my quad as much as I can.  I have a PT protocol from my OS that is titled Quadriceps tendon repair that he wrote over the words Patella, so think he is being lazy, but my injury is rare, per him.  I checked on 7 week workout and it says that you should be doing straight leg raises, flexing while increasing ROM from 95-100 and then to 105 and then 115 by week 10 post op.  Hope that helps.

Are you still in a brace, or are you out?

Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #783 on: August 24, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
Hi Vince

Welcome to the RQT?RPT thread on KneeGuru - you will have realised that you have sustained a very rare and serious injury, with a long rehab.

Months ahead of you for rehab.

Suggest that you click on the undermentioned thread, which shows a collection of documents which I have compiled together with KneeGuru over the years.

PATIENCE will be rewarded.  Where do you live?

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline amberisma

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #784 on: August 29, 2013, 07:26:36 AM »
Hi everyone!

So I haven't posted in a while...I've been extremely busy recently with moving and starting school.  I am almost 11 weeks post-op and have had pretty close to normal ROM for a couple weeks.  My left leg measures at 160 and my right leg is up to about 154.  I was doing really well in therapy up through the beginning of August and I pretty much have my quad lag GONE!  I was unable to schedule therapy for the past two weeks though, due to having to find a new therapist and trying to adjust to my crazy schedule.

So now that my ROM is basically back I am just trying to strengthen.  My biggest enemy is the heel taps, and I'm doing those pretty decently at 3 inches.  My leg is MAJORLY atrophied due to my injury happening almost 5 years ago, so trying to build muscle it going to be extremely frustrating.

I am worried about trying to do as much therapy as I want to do with my new schedule of sitting in classes all day and studying.  Before this, all I did was sit around all day so therapy was no problem.

What have been the most beneficial exercises in building quad muscle for everyone?

Hope all is well!

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #785 on: August 30, 2013, 12:32:33 AM »
Amberisma, what are heel taps?

I am still at quad sets and muscle stim at 6 weeks post op.  squats and lunges I know from previous weightlifting are good for building that strength, but with a double patellar tendon rupture, I have no idea when I could do those exercises safely.

Tom

Offline amberisma

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #786 on: August 30, 2013, 06:16:27 PM »
Amberisma, what are heel taps?

I am still at quad sets and muscle stim at 6 weeks post op.  squats and lunges I know from previous weightlifting are good for building that strength, but with a double patellar tendon rupture, I have no idea when I could do those exercises safely.

Tom

Carkeltom, a lot of times they are often known as "step-up step-down progressions", but my PT just decides he prefers to call them heel taps.
Basically what it is, starting on a 3 inch platform, have the injured leg on the platform and act like you're going down a step...i.e. bend the leg on the platform and lower the other leg...except don't actually rest the foot on the ground only let the heel touch the ground and then raise your body back up.  This can be done from either the front or the side.  As you get better, increase in reps and sets and then increase the platform height.

There is a video and a bit better description here (#3 step downs):
http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/knee-strengthening.html

I'm still stuck sideways on the 3 inch step.

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #787 on: August 31, 2013, 08:27:14 PM »
Thanks Amberisma.  I have found so many good links and exercises on youtube.  I am just dying to be able to do them.  When and if I get to this exercise, I will call them heel taps in your honor.

Offline Brian B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #788 on: September 01, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »
Thank you for this site! This is part of my email to John and I thought it would be helpful to post it. I feel terribly alone right now and it seems like a million miles away. I do have some questions if you could help me.
1. Every time I go from sitting to standing I get a sudden surge of pain and tightening down my entire left leg. Is this normal? I want to assume its the blood settling down into the leg from bring elevated.
2. My foot and shin/calf area turn purple/red when I stand or have my not elevated. Is this normal, is my brace maybe too tight, or is there a problem there? I will attach a current photo.
3. The doctor does not have me doing any movement or weight bearing at all with the left leg and his plan is to have it completely immobilized for 6 weeks. The things I've read and even your documents say to get rid of crutches and start the process. Is the doctor putting me in a dangerous spot?
4. I'm really scared to do anything with the leg so I don't even try to lift or move it. Is it ok to try lifting it (activating it, straight-legged) to get from sitting elevated to standing.
5. Is it ok to flex it to start feeling it working?
6. What are the odds of successful recovery? Meaning to get back to close to normal abilities and lead a normal active lifestyle.
7. When I have it elevated the pain in the back portion between my heal and calf are very tender. Keeps me in pain and up throughout the night. Do you think it could be the bruising? Could it be from the brace being too tight? Or could it be another problem?

I am an active 36 year old that took a tumble down some stairs (missed a step) with a vacuum in my hand. The landing impact and vacuum hitting my left knee completely tore the quad tendon. I'm 10 days out and am struggling to adjust to this. I have tried my hardest to take it one day at a time and look at this in a positive light but it's overwhelming. I need help, positivity, and some answers. Thank you for responding. I truly look forward to your insight on my questions.

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #789 on: September 01, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »
Welcome to kneegeeks, Brian, you're not alone, and the early days are very dark and you wonder how on earth you're going to cope.  I fell and ruptured my patellar tendon almost twelve weeks ago and it does get better but be prepared to "cry me a river", over your injury.  Mentally it's very hard - for all of us.

In the UK, it's not unusual to be immobilised for 6 weeks  for RPT, I don't know about RQT, but what concerns me is your circulation.  Calf pain in particular worries me as this can be a sign of thrombosis.  It's perfectly possible that your brace is causing the pain but why take a chance?  My advice would be to see a doctor as soon as you can.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #790 on: September 02, 2013, 02:50:19 AM »
Brian B.   It is hard to imagine this type of injury.  I am 6 weeks post op of a double patellar tendon rupture.  Being at home, like SellaVee said, you are not alone.  I am with her on the calf pain as that could be a circulation or thrombosis problem.  Do not be afraid to take the pain medications your doctor has prescribed.  I did not begin to sleep well or through the night until several weeks post.  Rest Ice Compression and Elevation are key early on.  If you have access to undo the ace bandages or wraps and not mess with the incision, loosen it up when you ice.  I use frozen bags of peas to this day, several times per day.  There is definitely the possibility of having post surgical bruising or pain on other parts of the injured leg.  Make sure that your brace is not too tight and cutting off the circulation.  Use a pillow between your legs at night. 

Do not be discouraged when reading the threads and posts.  Almost all people recover from these injuries, just to greater or lessening degrees.  I wondered at first how 6 weeks of immobilization would help, but it is the norm and I know that there is a reason for it and it is healing.  Find a book, find a video game, movies, Facebook (where I am almost always logged on) or feel free to chat here.  I would be climbing the walls of my house if I could, but I know my limitations and I can barely do the steps to get into my home.

Read what John sends and find some other material online.  There are lots of protocols for RQT and when you get to that point, ask the PT and ortho surgeon questions at your next appointment. 

And are you in the US or UK or somewhere else?

Tom

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #791 on: September 02, 2013, 08:56:43 AM »

Hi Brian

Welcome to the RQT/RPT thread - although we have exchanged e-mails over the last few days, you have now found the right home to get answers to your questions - lots of buddies out here to help you.

Click on the undermentioned web page, and you will find a a complete set of documents which I have compiled over the years together with KneeGuru -    This will give you lots of information on your serious injury and rehab injury.

PATIENCE - it`s a long haul in front of you - ask questions ---

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupt
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #792 on: September 03, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »
Hello everyone I am new.  I ruptured my quad tendon playing basketball.  I have read most of the post.  I am 7 weeks post surgery as of today.  I have been walking around with a brace since day one.  I have been reading some doing straight leg raises sooner than other.  I am a big guy.  6 foot 7 and weigh 280lbs.  I am sure my leg is heavy.  I attempt to do a straight leg raise and I cant keep it in full extension while raising.  I have a slight bend.  It also hurts when I attempt to do a straight leg or extend my knee when I am sitting.  Please tell me this is normal at this point and when should I be able to extend my knee.  When were you able to extend your knee fully during a straight leg raise or just extending the knee.

Thanks in advance..

Yup, you are a big guy.  Big or not ( I am 5'10" and 195 lbs).  They call it a straight leg raise but it really is a misnomer.  It really should be Straight as possible....remember your muscle is damaged and it takes a full 12 weeks for the reconnect to fully heal.  I had a love/hate relationship with my braces (I was a double RPT)... I still have a very slight bend at week 14...the attachment is completely healed but the muscle is still atrophied.  Patience is our mantra, so keep exercising and be patient, you will recover.

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #793 on: September 05, 2013, 04:07:39 PM »
Thank you for this site! This is part of my email to John and I thought it would be helpful to post it. I feel terribly alone right now and it seems like a million miles away. I do have some questions if you could help me.
1. Every time I go from sitting to standing I get a sudden surge of pain and tightening down my entire left leg. Is this normal? I want to assume its the blood settling down into the leg from bring elevated.
2. My foot and shin/calf area turn purple/red when I stand or have my not elevated. Is this normal, is my brace maybe too tight, or is there a problem there? I will attach a current photo.
3. The doctor does not have me doing any movement or weight bearing at all with the left leg and his plan is to have it completely immobilized for 6 weeks. The things I've read and even your documents say to get rid of crutches and start the process. Is the doctor putting me in a dangerous spot?
4. I'm really scared to do anything with the leg so I don't even try to lift or move it. Is it ok to try lifting it (activating it, straight-legged) to get from sitting elevated to standing.
5. Is it ok to flex it to start feeling it working?
6. What are the odds of successful recovery? Meaning to get back to close to normal abilities and lead a normal active lifestyle.
7. When I have it elevated the pain in the back portion between my heal and calf are very tender. Keeps me in pain and up throughout the night. Do you think it could be the bruising? Could it be from the brace being too tight? Or could it be another problem?

I am an active 36 year old that took a tumble down some stairs (missed a step) with a vacuum in my hand. The landing impact and vacuum hitting my left knee completely tore the quad tendon. I'm 10 days out and am struggling to adjust to this. I have tried my hardest to take it one day at a time and look at this in a positive light but it's overwhelming. I need help, positivity, and some answers. Thank you for responding. I truly look forward to your insight on my questions.

Brian B, WELCOME TO THE CLUB.  If you are like me you didn't know (or care) that this site existed prior to your injury, but now that you have found this site you cannot imagine recovery without it.
Our motto is "Patience, PT, repeat..." (OK, I just thought that up....feel free to use it).  Information is power, so you came to the right spot....I am 14 weeks and a double RPT (twice the fun!).  For some reason pain is a constant in my healing...I used to take gobs of Norco, now Advil (a few time a day), As the ligament heals (a twelve week process) your quad will atrophy.  I considered myself a lawn dart with braces (love/hate relationship with braces by the way).  I walked with a walker first, then cane with claw foot, then cane, then wobbly... a total of 9 weeks to wean myself off braces.  My suggestion would be to cruise this site and find others that are about where you are (in weeks).... you will be amazed by the similarities between you and prior posters.  Elevate, ICE, pain control with prescribed drugs, PATIENCE,
repeat.  You have had a serious accident but the prognosis is good for a full recovery. 

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #794 on: September 05, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »
Hi everyone!

So I haven't posted in a while...I've been extremely busy recently with moving and starting school.  I am almost 11 weeks post-op and have had pretty close to normal ROM for a couple weeks.  My left leg measures at 160 and my right leg is up to about 154.  I was doing really well in therapy up through the beginning of August and I pretty much have my quad lag GONE!  I was unable to schedule therapy for the past two weeks though, due to having to find a new therapist and trying to adjust to my crazy schedule.

So now that my ROM is basically back I am just trying to strengthen.  My biggest enemy is the heel taps, and I'm doing those pretty decently at 3 inches.  My leg is MAJORLY atrophied due to my injury happening almost 5 years ago, so trying to build muscle it going to be extremely frustrating.

I am worried about trying to do as much therapy as I want to do with my new schedule of sitting in classes all day and studying.  Before this, all I did was sit around all day so therapy was no problem.

What have been the most beneficial exercises in building quad muscle for everyone?

Hope all is well!

Just on my way to the gym.... I have used any weight machine that emphasizes the quad because each machine attacks the muscle from a different angle and that means the whole muscle gets exercised.  Keep up the good work!!!