Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 467973 times)

Offline Bearkev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #720 on: May 13, 2013, 03:00:07 AM »
By the way, any suggestions on how to sleep comfortably with a leg brace locking one of your legs straight?  I've always slept on my side but that's not very comfortable now.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #721 on: May 13, 2013, 06:12:15 AM »
Put a pillow between your legs to stop the brace rubbing against the good leg. If you can, I found it easier to slip further down my bed and sleep on my stomach with my feet hanging over the bottom edge of the mattress. I still sleep like that, even though I've been out of my brace for a good 4 years!  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #722 on: May 13, 2013, 03:52:37 PM »
Hi Kevin

Welcome to the RQT club - yes, you have sustained a very serious injury, with a long rehab sessons in front of you.

I am attaching a set of documents which explains your injury and the rehab process -  the documents cover a Ruptured Patella Tendon, but the rehab is very similar.   

The key word is PATIENCE - DON`T PUSH it - read previous posts and my documents with care.

Keep posting - and a pillow between the knees is the best method of getting a decent nights sleep, and I am doing this even after nine years.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

p.s.  where do you live?
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #723 on: May 13, 2013, 03:52:59 PM »
Hi Kevin

Welcome to the RQT club - yes, you have sustained a very serious injury, with a long rehab sessons in front of you.

I am attaching a set of documents which explains your injury and the rehab process -  the documents cover a Ruptured Patella Tendon, but the rehab is very similar.   

The key word is PATIENCE - DON`T PUSH it - read previous posts and my documents with care.

Keep posting - and a pillow between the knees is the best method of getting a decent nights sleep, and I am doing this even after nine years.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

p.s.  where do you live?

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Bearkev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #724 on: May 13, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »
Thanks Kaputt and John.  I tried the pillow between the knees last night and it did help.  Didn't sleep all the way through the night but did sleep much sounder.  Patience is something I've never been good at but don't have much of a choice with this.  Hopefully I'll be cleared to go back to work after my next visit to the Doctor.  He actually cleared me with my workman's comp rep last week without telling me.  Had to explain to him that I can't get into my car w/out bending the leg.  He came around and re-wrote the orders for no work until after my next visit. 

I live near Chicago US.  My 12 year old daughter is very sad about my injury because the amusement park nearby just opened.  Every year we spend at least every other weekend there and now this year I can't be her "roller coaster buddy".  But at least I can sit in the wheel chair and hold everyone's items while they ride. 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #725 on: May 13, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
Hi Kevin

Noted your difficulty getting into a car.

Would advise you, that in the U.K., you must the O.K. from your O.S. to drive, otherwise, you could invalidate your car insurance.  Suggest you check A S A P

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Bearkev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #726 on: May 13, 2013, 05:36:26 PM »
That's the thing.  He gave the ok to my employer last week without discussing it with me.  I saw him Friday and explained that I can't get into the drivers seat without bending my leg and he has me as no weight bearing or bending yet.  I don't know what he was thinking.  But now I'm home for at least another 2 weeks.  Time for another book.  Or movie.  Or just banging my head against the wall out of boredom.   :o

Offline Bearkev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #727 on: May 18, 2013, 02:19:36 AM »
Had my first physical therapy session today.  Went pretty well (keeping the patience thought in mind).  Was able to bend it to 40 degrees and pain was minimal.  Will be going three times a week for a while.  I now understand what everyone means when they say it's a long road.  Just gotta keep my head up and keep my sense of humor.

Offline Bearkev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #728 on: May 29, 2013, 10:03:26 PM »
Tomorrow marks 6 weeks since my injury & surgery.  Had my toughest (and most painful) PT session today.  My therapist was able to get me to 70 degrees.  Then she had me bend it on my own as much as I could and I was able to get to 62.  I thought going into my session today I wouldn't be able to get much past my 54 last week.  But very happy with the slow progress.  Hopefully 90 is right around the corner.

Offline David Down Under

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #729 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
Hey John42,

Have pretty much read the entire thread. Would love to grab a copy of the 3 documents you have been sending out.

I am a 2 time RQT survivor. First 9 years ago, left knee 39yo. Second 5.5 weeks ago  >:( , right knee 48yo

Per the sig, I am from Sydney. Pls don't hold that against me :)

Made a 100% recovery first time around and shooting for my second !

Both injuries resulted from a freak fall. Número 1 was a slip and fall whilst semi jogging on wet tiles. Número 2, tumble down some stairs

Majorly bummed out about going around this again

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #730 on: June 04, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
Hi Bearkev

Second time round - feel for you.

Am attaching a set of documents I have compiled over the years - they refer to a Ruptured Patella Tendon, but the rehab is very similar - remember the keyword " PATIENCE"

Don`t hold you against the fact, that you live down under !!! Keep posting your progress
Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline amberisma

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #731 on: June 11, 2013, 05:59:59 AM »
Hi All.

Just found this website while I was doing some research because I partially tore my right quadriceps tendon.  I am due to have surgery here in the next week or two.  My tendon rupture is extremely chronic, making my story quite complicated.  The OS said it would be a tough surgery, but I agreed to go ahead with it anyway....as I am only 25 years old and extremely physically active.

Read through all the posts and it is giving me some hope that I might be able to recover fairly well.  Before I started reading these posts, I'm not sure I've ever been so nervous in my life.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:38:18 PM by amberisma »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #732 on: June 11, 2013, 09:27:56 AM »
Hi and welcome to the RQT website

A long rehab in front of you - read the attached documents with care - ASK questions -
DON`T push it -

The documents relate to a Ruptured Patella Tendon, but the rehab process is very similar -

How did you sustain your injury?   Where do you live

Keep posting - Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Bearkev

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #733 on: June 14, 2013, 02:05:03 AM »
Today marks 8 weeks since surgery.  Progress has slowed - perhaps even reversed.  I saw the Doctor yesterday.  The knee looks good and is healing well but he was not happy with my ROM and the amount of swelling I still have.  To help, he put me on methylprednisone which I will start tomorrow.  Hopefully that will bring down the swelling and improve my ROM.  At my previous therapy session we got to 88 degrees but with a lot of pain.  Today...only 81 degrees with even more pain.  I'm trying to not be discouraged but it's had not to be.  If my Doctor doesn't see more progress over the next week he spoke of trying injections into my knee.  We'll see how things go.  Just gotta try and stay positive.

Offline David Down Under

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #734 on: June 16, 2013, 06:55:42 AM »
Hey Bearkev, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. This is my second RQT, and you are ahead of me in ROM both times. Just gone 7 weeks and my ROM would be between 65 and 70.

ROM will come back, just need to keep workin it. Some guys on another site just aim for a few degrees every week.

On my first RQT, as soon as I could walk without a limp, I ceased all focus on my ROM and strength / PT. wrong I know, nonetheless I have full ROM on that knee now and it made a full recovery

support