Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 478310 times)

Offline JaxBill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #690 on: September 13, 2012, 05:21:11 PM »
Now at 5 weeks and PT is going well.  I'm supposed to be ROM 0-60 until Week 6.  Last PT session they used electronic stimulation and after warmup and stretching, my ROM was at 63 degrees. Next week I start 0-90 ROM and I'm a little worried about that.

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #691 on: September 14, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »
Now at 5 weeks and PT is going well.  I'm supposed to be ROM 0-60 until Week 6.  Last PT session they used electronic stimulation and after warmup and stretching, my ROM was at 63 degrees. Next week I start 0-90 ROM and I'm a little worried about that.

63 deg is about on parr so keep up the good work. :)  After my first RQT repair my ROM was very poor due to scar tissue but I had a followup repair and I am at 5 weeks now and have 80 deg ROM today.  My OS wants me to get to 90 deg by next week which is 6 weeks.  If you have a CPM use it as much as you can and ICE, ICE, ICE and elevate after working your ROM.  I learned the hard way.  I pray you recover well my friend. ;)

Offline JaxBill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #692 on: September 17, 2012, 08:56:28 PM »
FYI, NFL defensive lineman Adam Carriker done for the season with torn quad tendon

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/09/17/brian-orakpo-adam-carriker-done-for-season/

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #693 on: September 17, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »
A RPT is a typical sports injury, with a six months rehab

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JaxBill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #694 on: September 19, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »
Exactly 6 weeks today so at physical therapy today I tried to go 0-90 ROM instead of 0-60.  After electronic stim and stretching, I was measured at 81 degrees.   Both the therapist and I were pleased with that.  Two more PT sessions before I go back to the doctor and hopefully he opens the brace up to 90 degrees.

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #695 on: October 06, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
Hello again and another update>

After 3 weeks of PT, it is with a heavy heart that I report my ROM is stuck at 85deg.  The girls at therapy have tried everything but we have stalled.  I called the doctor yesterday to fill them in and they prescribed a Medrol dose pack in hopes of the stiffness and pain to be reduced.  I started them this morning.  My followup doctors appointment was scheduled for October 17th but they extended it to the 31st in hopes of reaching our goal of 120 deg to avoid another MUA.  I was doing so great this time and my spirits were high until this plateau.  Currently at 8 weeks post op.  Wish me luck.  I plan to fight all the way though... >:( 

Offline ianb2405

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #696 on: October 11, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
I have been reading this forum for a while now.

RQT left leg August 2012.
Had my second PT this afternoon.
ROM increased from 42 to 52 in 2 weeks.
Not a large improvement but it is getting better.
PT was talking about "closed" and "open" exercise?
Walking better now but still with 1 crutch.
PT advised to use ice if the knee gets very sore and swollen
He also agreed that I could go in a swimming pool to do some walking in the water.

Good luck to all forum users

Ian

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #697 on: October 11, 2012, 08:14:52 PM »
Welcome to the super exclusive RQT club Ian. ;)  The benefits include walking with a limp and painful knee flexion for waaay longer than you think. ::) 
How many weeks out from surgery are you?  My second repair was August 9th.  The first repair failed due to excessive scar tissue and during the MUA my Patella fractured.  Fun stuff for sure.  My range of motion is still progressing slowly and I may need another MUA...Lucky me.

Good luck with your rehab, I am told there is life after a RQT. ???

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #698 on: October 15, 2012, 10:56:27 PM »
Went to the Doc today and got an injection in the knee in hopes of some swelling and pain relief.  He also ordered me a flexinator to help regain the ROM since the girls at PT can't seem to make a break thru.  I am just shy of 90 degrees so hopefully this will help get the rest to avoid another MUA. >:(  Wish me luck ;)

Offline ianb2405

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #699 on: October 20, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
Welcome to the super exclusive RQT club Ian. ;)  The benefits include walking with a limp and painful knee flexion for waaay longer than you think. ::) 
How many weeks out from surgery are you?  My second repair was August 9th.  The first repair failed due to excessive scar tissue and during the MUA my Patella fractured.  Fun stuff for sure.  My range of motion is still progressing slowly and I may need another MUA...Lucky me.

Good luck with your rehab, I am told there is life after a RQT. ???

Thanks for that Reveille.

Lets hope there is life after RQt "But not as we know it Jim!" LOL

Surgery was 11 weeks ago

Hope the ROM keeps getting larger even if slowly.

Good Luck!

Ian

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #700 on: October 25, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »
Made it to 110 degrees today...finally.  It seems the knee injection was just enough to reduce the sharp pains and allow us to make some slow progress.  11 weeks today for me too.  It feels good to get on a bike now even though it hurts pretty bad.  Oxymoron I know... ;D

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #701 on: November 01, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
So check this out.  My doctor approved a device called a flexionator.  Here is a picture of how it works.  It's pretty brutal but should help me reach my goal. It is hydraulic and will break bones if your not careful. :o Notice any atrophy in my right leg?  ???

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #702 on: November 09, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »
Made it to 120 degrees of flex in the knee today at PT ;D  Seems all the pain and work is beginning to payoff. :)

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #703 on: November 24, 2012, 11:43:16 PM »
132 and rising...  :) Headed back to work on Thursday ;D  Getting stronger every day now...Six months later ::)

Offline ianb2405

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #704 on: November 25, 2012, 05:42:38 PM »
Reveille,

Well done with the ROM. My PT last week got mine to 70, slow but it is progress.
Hope work goes ok.
Take it easy!

Ian