Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 458253 times)

Offline readinggal

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #570 on: September 28, 2010, 08:45:11 PM »
Hydrotherapy is working really well  have now had 5 x 1 hour sessions (1 or 2 more to go) and would highly recommend it to anyone who feels stiffness in the knee still - I have achieved so much from having this twice a week its just over 4 months now since my accident and those of you who have encouraged me in the past will know I couldnt see the light at the end of the tunnel - Im pleased to say its well and trully there now.

Also I had gained some weight whilst lying/sitting around and since hydro has enabled me to be on my feet more i am now losing it again so I am feeling well happy  :) :)
Ruptured quadricep tendons - accident 20-05-10
Repair tendon mechanism operation 29-05-10
was signed off work for 6mths---really didn't think id walk again - now almost 16 mths later i am approx. 85% back to 'normal' and thinks this is how its gonna be from now on....

Offline greenja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #571 on: October 03, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »
Hi folks:

I had a bi-lateral Quadriceps Tendon tears on Wed Aug 25th @ 730 pm.  I thought I'd badly pulled some muscles and dragged myself to bed (with the help of an angry wife).

I have high blood pressure and was taking Lipitor (stain cholesterol drug).  My BP meds were doubled in early August by my cardiologist and the day of the injury my primary care doctor was unable to give me a scheduled physical due to an office error.

On the injury event, I stood up and felt woozy and collapsed back onto my heels there by straining and rupturing my Quadriceps Tendons.

For the next 8 days I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis in error.  One of the old doctors in the facility then sent me for a MRI on 2 September; on 3 September I was operated on, placed into 0 degree braces and told to weight bear.

On 15 September I was discharged to home and after my workplace saw me last week 29 September, they started dragging their heels in getting me back (thank goodness). It's a desk job but getting around town is time consuming and expensive.

I'm scheduled for 3 times a week PT and aqua therapy.  (I was a 75-90 min/day YMCA workout geek prior to the event (quad heart bypass 6 years ago).)

I did my first heel slides and leg lift yesterday.  Although in 0 degree braces, they slip so there is some activity with the quad though it appears to be about 1/3 size of before the event.

Now I'm at 4 1/2 weeks post surgery and wanting to be as aggressive as allowed. 

Some questions:
1) what are guesstimates times before I can use crutches?

2) what are guesstimates times before I can use a cane?

3) what are guesstimates times before I can walk?

4) what are guesstimates times before I can drive?

Thank you so much.

John in Austin Texas

I am
Injury: Aug 25th 2010
Diagnosis: Sept 2nd 2010
Surgery: Sept 3rd 2010
Out-Patient PT began Sept 28th 2010
ready to run, drive, work, work-out: NOW!

Offline readinggal

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #572 on: October 03, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
hi greenja
based on what youve said about being told to weight bear - were you not given crutches? i had crutches from day 1 - before and after the operation. i realise everyone is different but with me (and if you read back posts from me & others)) a common problem is that the knee can sometimes give way where the muscle has wasted.
(I am a 56 yr old woman) Personally, I still use one crutch because of this problem - i was told they will only let me have a walking stick /cane when the muscle is stronger and there is little or no further risk to this happening.
Again i can only speak for myself - i had a wheelchair for a couple of months to use inbetween use of crutches and its only been the last couple of weeks that i have been confident that i could drive with no problems. ((accident on may 20 and operation may 27th)
the main part of my work is deskwork and i am still signed off work (until 1 nov. )

good luck with your recovery and dont forget whilst you are sat at home theres many posts to read on here also some games to while away the hours
Ruptured quadricep tendons - accident 20-05-10
Repair tendon mechanism operation 29-05-10
was signed off work for 6mths---really didn't think id walk again - now almost 16 mths later i am approx. 85% back to 'normal' and thinks this is how its gonna be from now on....

Offline greenja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #573 on: October 04, 2010, 02:40:25 PM »
Hi Readinggal,

I've been in leg braces and a walker since the operation.

I'm sure when the surgeon modifies/removes the leg braces I won't be able to stand by myself.  However I want to use the time at PT and aqua to the best possible advantage.

Regarding work, I started this job 10 months ago and I have limited sick/annual leave (now long gone) and recourse.

Getting around is expensive and painful but necessary.  With PT scheduled from 9-11 am 3 days a week I'm trying to build a plan to do the pt, work from home 6-8 hours a day and go to work 4 hours a day 2-times a week.

I truly abhor the dependency I created and am looking for aggressive even if painful ways to recover quickly.

I've got a 5 year old son who I want to play with too.

;)

Offline Ian B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #574 on: October 06, 2010, 12:39:07 AM »
Greenja,

Go back and read my earlier posts.  I was extremely lucky.  Although I had a complete rupture, I was operated on within a couple of days.  I was in a velcroe brace with aluminum stiffing bars.  I actually added some extras to stiffen it further.  I was on crutches from day 1, and I was weight bearing immediately.  I concluded if the leg was in a brace so the knee could not bend, there was no way I could re-injure.  The crutches were gone by the end of the second week.  I was very careful walking.  I was back at work around the office in the third week (part time).  I was driving by the end of week two.

By the end of week 6, the brace was gone.  Most discomfort was trying to sleep.  In the bath tub or on the couch, I would passively start to bend the leg just until I felt the tendon tighten slightly.  By about week 12 or so I was pushing and pulling the leg a bit.  6 months out, I was pretty mobile.  I am now just over a year.  The leg is not quite back to full strength, but it is not obvious I ever injured myself.

If you look at my earlier postes, they start in Sept 09.  My injury was the Sunday before Labor Day last year.  I vacationed in Jamaica in January and scuba dove twice a day for the week.  I realize that I am very lucky.  As I said earlier, I believed if the leg was braced straight, the tendon could not be re-injured.  I walked and climbed stairs (straight leg) as much as I could.  I was amazed how much it helped the muscles in the leg inspite of the brace.  When I took the brace off, I was remarkably mobile.  At about week 6 I was just over 90 degrees ROM.  I can squat right down now- my butt on my heels.

Good Luck!!

Ian Murray

Offline greenja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #575 on: October 07, 2010, 04:55:55 PM »
Hi Ian,

I'll read your earlier posts but with both quads torn, I'm guessing I've got a bit more time to pass.  I'm trying to take the exercise the Physical Therapist give me 3 times a week and do them several times a day.  Boy is that time consuming taking the braces on and off and on.

The darn walker is what I'd really like to loose.  I would like to handle the crutches but I'm 1.8 meters and 109 kilos and I'm guessing since I fell and crushed ny tendon's the surgeon is going to be slow with me.

Going back to work is going to be hard.

Thanks for the insight

Regards
John

Offline steveuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #576 on: October 07, 2010, 05:36:29 PM »
Hi John
I had my op to repair a broken quad tendon on 16th July after 12 days on crutches following a fall in France on 4th July. I was fitted with a fixed cast for 6 weeks after the op and then a hinged cast set at 50 degrees for a further 2 weeks. Since this was removed on 9th September I have used crutches and only now feel confident enough to use a stick for short walks around the house and garden. I still use one or two crutches if I go out. I am due to see my consultant on 21st October and my PT has advised me not to drive until after then (I do have a manual car and damaged my right leg so had it been my left leg and an automatic car I would have been driving some time ago). I am now getting about 90 degrees of movement in my knee but like many other's my knee does give way occasionally. I am told to expect another 12 weeks of PT before I'm back to anywhere near 'normal' again. Take it easy and listen to your PT. There are cases when pushed too far the tendon pops and you have to go through the whole procedure again.
Steve
Worcester - Central UK

Hi folks:

I had a bi-lateral Quadriceps Tendon tears on Wed Aug 25th @ 730 pm.  I thought I'd badly pulled some muscles and dragged myself to bed (with the help of an angry wife).

I have high blood pressure and was taking Lipitor (stain cholesterol drug).  My BP meds were doubled in early August by my cardiologist and the day of the injury my primary care doctor was unable to give me a scheduled physical due to an office error.

On the injury event, I stood up and felt woozy and collapsed back onto my heels there by straining and rupturing my Quadriceps Tendons.

For the next 8 days I was diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis in error.  One of the old doctors in the facility then sent me for a MRI on 2 September; on 3 September I was operated on, placed into 0 degree braces and told to weight bear.

On 15 September I was discharged to home and after my workplace saw me last week 29 September, they started dragging their heels in getting me back (thank goodness). It's a desk job but getting around town is time consuming and expensive.

I'm scheduled for 3 times a week PT and aqua therapy.  (I was a 75-90 min/day YMCA workout geek prior to the event (quad heart bypass 6 years ago).)

I did my first heel slides and leg lift yesterday.  Although in 0 degree braces, they slip so there is some activity with the quad though it appears to be about 1/3 size of before the event.

Now I'm at 4 1/2 weeks post surgery and wanting to be as aggressive as allowed. 

Some questions:
1) what are guesstimates times before I can use crutches?

2) what are guesstimates times before I can use a cane?

3) what are guesstimates times before I can walk?

4) what are guesstimates times before I can drive?

Thank you so much.

John in Austin Texas

I am

Offline greenja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #577 on: October 10, 2010, 06:32:13 PM »
Thought I would share an amazing story:

http://www.orthosupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=65584

Surgical repair of both quadriceps tendons was performed 3 days after the injury. Bilateral locking brace in 10° of flexion was used to immobilize both knees and protect the repair for 6 weeks. The patient remained nonweight bearing for 2 weeks, then gradual weight bearing was commenced, with full weight bearing at 6 weeks. Intensive isometric quadriceps exercises were started on the second postoperative day. Immobilization of both knees was maintained for 6 weeks, after which full active range of motion (ROM) was initiated. At 16 weeks after the injury he had bilateral ROM from 0° to 120° flexion, with no extension lag. He was horse riding, playing golf, swimming, and walking distances up to 2 miles at that time.

I'm not expecting to duplicate this but I am doing my isometrics 3-5 times a day.  I'm *only* doing what my PT allows.

Offline steveuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #578 on: October 19, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »
Hi John. Hope all is well with you. I'm now 14 weeks post op and have just attained a ROM of 93 degrees 6 weeks after losing my hinged cast. The crutches have gone into storage and I am walking fair distances with a stick mainly for support on downhill slopes. My knee is still swelling when I do excersise and gets stiff very quickly but isn't stopping me getting out and about. I still cannot climb or descend stairs 'normally' and have to proceed one step at a time. I am just about to drive again. My PT is letting me loose on the excersise bike and the treadmill but is still hesitant to push me too far. They do seem to be very nervous about this type of injury. The information sheets that you sent to me were useful, I'm not too far behind the guide for recovery. Thanks for your advise. Regards, Steve - Worcestershire
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 06:35:25 PM by steveuk »

Offline greenja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #579 on: October 22, 2010, 12:46:33 AM »
Hi Steve and all

I'm at week 7 post-op tomorrow and met with my surgeon 2 days ago.  We discussed the article regarding 16 weeks to reasonable recovery even with both tendons torn.

I have about 95 degrees ROM but certainly not full weight bearing.  PT has me trying to get on the cycle but ended up on the horizontal stair stepper.

Still I walked (in a walker) with out braces for the first time in 2 months.

Yes PT's are nervous but seem to be pushing me especially in the water.

I use the braces and a cane around the house and yard.  At work because I don't know/trust the surfaces it's both walker and braces for a bit longer.

Surgeon left the driving decision to my PT's abut said another month (about November 20th)

Will say more later: have a 5 year old to get off to bed......

Cheers
John in Austin

Offline meehanstl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #580 on: October 25, 2010, 03:56:05 PM »
Hey guys, new here, decided to join after seeing all the helpful information.

I am 23 years old, currently in law school, with a torn quad tendon.

I tore my quad tendon on September 4th in a JiuJitsu tournament.  What actually happened was on a takedown I dislocated my kneecap, and after two weeks I got an MRI, which was inconclusive.  So on October 5th I had a scope and they found my quad tendon was completely torn.  During the time from the injury until the surgery (2 weeks), I had hinged brace locked at 0.  I am due for four weeks with this brace locked at 0 and no pressure on my leg, and a week from friday I have a doctors appointment, and hopefully I will start PT and putting weight on my leg with crutches.

I played college football for the past 4 years, and I had problems with the knee before due to some traumatic blunt forces lol.

I just want to know what to expect from rehab and recovery, and I want to know if this is something that I can get back to 100% with.  Thanks for al the help, look forward to hearing more

Also on a side note, my mother tore her quad tendon last year...possible genetics?

Offline greenja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #581 on: October 25, 2010, 04:18:15 PM »
Hi Meehansti,
I can only tell you my experience (of course  ;)) but it's a long row to hoe (for me).

I had mine repaired Sept 3 after 8 days of mis-diagnosis (if interested you read my preceding posts).  7 weeks and 4 days post op have me in 0 degree leg braces OR using a walker.  I'm just now feeling like the repairs are mending and strength returning somewhat.

Still I have zero/zilch/nada confidence in my legs unless under PT supervision or in the PT pool (aqua therapy).  I go 3 times a week and exercise some limited upper body the other days: that keeps me sane and may help.

In one of my prior posts there's an article about a fellow who resumed horseback riding, walking 2miles/day and golf after 16 weeks rehab.  My surgeon expects I can do the same (at this point). (PS both this guy and I had *both* quads go at the same time).  For me that date is Christmas Eve.

My current strategy is to not relapse (don't push too hard) but do every exercise allowed several times a day. 

I worked out daily hard for 75-90 min and was caught completely off guard by this event.

Having had heart surgery 6+ years ago, this is harder to deal with for me.

Cheers
John

Offline meehanstl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #582 on: October 26, 2010, 06:29:52 PM »
Well, I was hurt on the 4th of September, and didnt have surgery until the 5th of October, can this cause any problems for me in recovery?

I am to be in the immobilizing brace for 4 weeks (ending a week from today!) with no pressure.  My question is how hard is it to mess that up?  I was crutching into school from the rain and my crutch slid slowly outside and I may have put minimal pressure on the leg and I was scared I may have messed something up (but no pain afterwards or during, just FEAR lol)

Most importantly, what should I know about the rehab, or what should I do to improve this rehab?  I did see some people discussing therapists not really having a lot of knowledge on how to rehab patients with quad tendon tears.  I am hping to get back to jiujitsu some time in the next year, which will need me to have full range of motion in that knee.

Also does anyone know what the likelihood it will reoccur (assuming I don't get a similar traumatic force to it.)

Offline steveuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #583 on: October 27, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
It was 12 days after my accident when I was finally operated on and this caused minor problems at the time as things had started to fuse together and blood clots had formed. It took longer to clean up prior to carrying out the repair but has not caused me any problems post op.
I had my surgery on July 16 and as you can see in my previous post am making good progress. Take it easy and don't try to rush. I have pushed a little too far at times with my PT and suffered afterwards for a couple of days while things settled down again. Regards, Steve

Offline greenja

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #584 on: November 07, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »
Hi folks

A quick update: 9 weeks 2 days from surgery on both tendons and I'm now walking in soft braces and driving short distances.  ROM is about 100 degrees and I use a cane.

I  feel very unstable when people come up quickly from behind.  I do the PT approved exercise and got into a real pool yesterday for the first time since the "event".

I did 30 min of light weights and sit ups over the last 2 months.

I find that staying  active, isometrics, situps etc. really helped to this point (as did the prayers from family, friends and strangers).

Please let me know if I can provide you more info.

Cheers
John in Austin

support