Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 477893 times)

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #465 on: February 24, 2010, 04:14:40 AM »
Well said!!!!  ;)

Sue
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #466 on: February 25, 2010, 11:17:44 PM »
Seatown, sorry to hear about your partial re-tear.  That is a major bummer.  Here's what I would want to know:

1.  Where is the partial re-tear? medial, lateral, center or otherwise. 
2.  Is this something that can be done with a fairly high degree of predictability? (90+%)
3.  How is this going to affect the exisiting repair. (like, do they have to basically rework the whole tendon or can they "spot repair", where it has re-ruptured- somewhat related to # 1)
4.  Has the surgeon done many of these and with what degree of success?
5.  What is the success rate with aggressive rehab in compensating for the 75% tendon attachment?
6.  With the time delay since the partial re-rupture, is the whole area fibrosed to the point that surgery would only make things worse, not better?  (see #3 & 4)

It sounds like if your knee gives way it is something I would look into seriously, but I would want to weigh the options before proceeding.  Hope that is a help. 

Offline SeatownShuffle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #467 on: February 26, 2010, 01:38:53 AM »
Great feedback Fredrico.  I may print your question list off for my visit.  Thank you so much for your thoughts.

Offline chris nz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #468 on: March 03, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »
Injured my knee late January ,slipping while getting out of a shower, now 5 weeks post repair, I have had really very little pain only if I overdo things ,controlled with paracetamol. As a farmer this is really a very frustrating injury, but I have been walking on it in the rom brace for a fortnight, now brace is set on 30% and will increase to 60 degrees next week.I have been doing passive exercise i.e leg lying on a pillow and moving it within the range of movment allowed  building up to 10 minutes 6 times daily, and this has preserved my quad condition with only a bit of muscle wasting, also isometric exercise while sitting has helped flexing my leg muscles etc. My knee still is wobbly if I change direction to quickly  or walk on rough ground in the fields, but I suppose time will help with this. I have been removing the brace completely at night while in bed and found that this helps considerably with the swelling knee is almost normal in the morning with swelling increasing during the day as I use my leg. Iam determined not to let this beat me as I have to be fit by calving time in July although the doctor has warned about lifting and carrying weights.  I am sure that careful gentle exercise helps keep blood supply to the injury going and quickens healing ,but keep the brace on while moving. I will keep you posted,as to progress as I have found this site usefull especially reading about positive outcomes
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 11:35:35 PM by chris nz »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #469 on: March 03, 2010, 10:05:13 PM »
Hi Chris

Welcome to the RQT club - you should read as many of the previous back posts to learn a lot about your injury.

I am sending you three documents covering the rehab process - the documents cover a ruptured patella tendon, but the rehab is very similar.

Please be free to ask any questions - lots of buddies out here to help you.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Hudswell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #470 on: March 15, 2010, 11:45:52 AM »
Just approaching 10 Weeks, have started some easy sessions in the Gym, Cycle and Cross Trainer. Out of the brace and walking with a slight limp...still some pain in the knee area and swelling. Knee keeps locking every so often, is this normal?? but that is feeling a bit better now.  Not started PT yet (moved location and need to register) hope to soon but slightly concious that I should be doing more/less...Building up the strengh in the leg although going downstairs is still painful and awkward. I would appriciate any further advice on where I should be going!!

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #471 on: March 15, 2010, 12:36:28 PM »
Best advice.....read through the entire thread for tips and advice....

Sue
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #472 on: March 15, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »
Hi Hudswell

If you would let me have your e-mail address, I will then send you three documents with good rehab procedures.....

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
[email protected]

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline z06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #473 on: April 23, 2010, 02:49:09 AM »
Remember me? It's been 26 months since accident that ruptured BOTH knee quad tendons. Went through the surgerys, braces, 18 months of theraphy. Man, what an ordeal. Still not back to 80%. Dr. put me on perminent disability for ladders, stairs & squats. Work terminated my job after 22 years of employment without even a kiss. They could not provide me a suitable job for my injuries. Still have pain in knees, but no medication needed. So, it's back to school for 2 years. Haven't seen the inside of one of these buildings for 37 years. Man, I hate math.  Good luck all. I feel your pain.
   I need help here. After 28 months after my surgery, I still have knee pain & swelling. When will this ever end??

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #474 on: April 23, 2010, 07:32:33 AM »
Hi

I still have swelling after seven years - you must visit a Vascular Consultant as the swelling is caused by problems with circulation.  He/she will arrange a doppler scan.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline millimob

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #475 on: May 03, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »
Hi Everyone
Last Saturday 24th April 2010 I ruptured my Quadriceps tendon, I am 70 and very active DIY etc,It was a simple stupid accident my foot slipped off a step as I was going down, and my weight was put suddendly on my Right leg, which buckled and I heard a "POP" I realised that my knee was injured but had no pain, I could not straighten my right leg without pushing it straight with my left leg, then I could bend it OK again.
My wife called an ambulance, and the paramedics diagnosed a possible tendon rupture and a trip to A&E dept at Selly Oak Birmingham.
After much ado and waiting,xrays and diagnosis I was full leg plastercasted and admitted to ward S4 for the orthopedic team to decide what to do.
I was consulted and an operation to repair the tendon which had ripped from my kneecap was planned for Sunday am. This was not possible due to the truma schedule. S4 is the military ward and some of the injuries I saw to our soldiers for outweighed mine.
So I was operated on Monday am some 30 hrs after the accident, the kneecap has been drilled in several places and the tendon sewn back to it, I have 29 clips in the wound.
I was discharged from hospital onTuesday,and I am managing on elbow crutches trying not to put any weight on the right leg (this is difficult however)
I dont know what to expect from here other than, I have the clips removed on 14th May and will have my leg immobilised in a brace for total of 6 weeks, then I am told I will have a variable knee brace to gradually get a restored angle of movement.
I just wondered what the process is from there with physiotherepy and exercise etc.
From what I have read on this site it would appear to be along job.
Thanks for reading my tale of woe

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #476 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:33 PM »
Hi

I have read with interest your post, and feel for you.

You will have realised that you have sustained a very serious injury which is going to take over part of your life for quite a few months ahead.

It is essential that you read as many previous posts, as it will give you many answers and will build up a host of questions for your next hospital visit.

In most cases, you will find, that you will know more about your injury than the physio persons.

First tip - sleep with a cushion/pillow between your knees.

I am sending you three documents, which cover the similar injury - a ruptured patella tendon, and hope that you find a lot of useful information.

You are 4 years younger than me, so we do share similar problems.

Take care
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Ian B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #477 on: May 09, 2010, 01:17:13 AM »
This is the absolute optimist's post.

I am now almost exactly 8 months post op/injury.  I am a 56 year old male, and have to be mobile for work, but do not have many challenging activities which has been a major positive for me.  If I can walk and climb stairs I am OK.

I have 100% ROM with no pain, and I am basically back to complete normal mobility- not that I am a jock or anything.

My injury was 100% dettachment of the tendon.  I pushed everything to the limits from the start (see previous posts).  I was putting weight on the repair within days of surgery.  I firmly believed if I was in a brace, there was no way I could re-injure so I walked on the leg immediately.

I found physio to be not helpful, and did not go to a second visit.  I abondoned my crutches after 10 days, and the brace was gone after 6 weeks.  For a while in the 20 week range, I pushed for range of motion, but found it was causing pain and discomfort through the day, so I stopped.  Just with normal mobility, I have seen a continual increase in ROM till now where it is 100% with no pain.

My advice to anyone would be do anything and everything you can do with moderate pain.  If you are in a brace, you cannot re-injue yourself.  I have recoverd better than I expected, and look back and would not do anything different.

I wish everyone the positive outcome I have had.  Good luck to all.

Offline walaxref

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #478 on: May 10, 2010, 07:34:59 PM »
Hi all.  Completely ruptured my quad tendon last monday (5-3-2010).  Had surgical repair on Friday.  This is day 3 of recovery. 

I am in knee immobilzer brace.  Doc wants me to be full weigh baring by end of this week.  My sister- hospital admin back east- said this sounds fairly agressive.  I have all I can do to be upright let alone even partial weight baring.  In 3 weeks the brace will be adjusted to allow some motion and increase until about August when I can start rehab and strengthening..

I have read some of the posts (not all I just found the website) and there are many different experiences. I am 42 and until last week was active (I am a lacrosse referee and coach).

If nothing else I am just looking for some commeraderie with whom I could share stories of rehab and hopefully find some inspiration.

Stan   

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #479 on: May 10, 2010, 07:40:03 PM »
Hi Stan

Welcome to this excellent thread - read and read as many previous posts, as it will give you chance to build up questions for your next visit to the hospital.

Weight bearing after a week - nonsense, and we are not Doctors, but we have lived through ruptured tendon.

Where do you live?

How did you sustain your injury?

Take care and dont be afraid to post questions.

I am going to e-mail you three documents, which will give you some indication of rehab exercises which will be required over the next months.
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon