Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 474343 times)

Offline Patrick49

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #450 on: January 21, 2010, 12:42:53 AM »
John K,

Could I ask you to send me those as well? [email protected]
Thanks in advance.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #451 on: January 21, 2010, 05:45:06 AM »
Hi Patrick

Three documents sent to you, which will give you an indication of the rehab procedure -

Patience is required as you are in for quite a long haul to recovery.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester  UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline stylabull

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #452 on: January 21, 2010, 12:41:17 PM »
Hi all,

Updating my own situation, ruptured right quad tendons early August 2009,2 months in plaster , 1 month or so with velcro full leg brace followed by not as much physio as I expected, have been ' discharged' by my physio unless I feel I need to see her in the next 6 weeks or so. Have got almost full bend back in my knee, cannot yet however get into full squatting position, the sort a wicketkeeper might take up, but am continuing to build up muscles that had greatly wasted over the time I was in plaster. Still very wary of going up or down stairs, especially the first couple of steps but all improving as time goes on. Am still waiting for enough confidence to begin to run but think it might not be too far away.

Anyone who has suffered this injury knows how hard the recovery process is but to those new on here , keep your spirits up and be positive, don't let yourself drift into feeling that things won't ever improve.

Offline ruddski1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #453 on: January 21, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
well, I got my stiaples out last week 2 weeks post op and was told 4 more weeks in immobilizer. They also gave me a Bledsoe brace so that once I can start bending my knee they can set how far they want me to bend it, but i'm wearing my old brace for now because they set the brace at zero and it's much more combursome. Charnsophie, I noticed that you are starting rehab soon I  have 2 more weeks to go, yet we were injured and operated on at about the same time (injured Dec 21st operated on Dec 30th) yet Stylabull spent 2 months in a plaster cast which is even longer without movement than me. Does anyone know if there are different levels of injury with a full rupture or are doctors just treating same injury more carefully?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #454 on: January 21, 2010, 03:35:33 PM »
Hi

In the U.K. the average time in a plastercast is 6/8 weeks -

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline stylabull

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #455 on: January 21, 2010, 03:42:24 PM »
To my mind I was in my leg brace longer than I should have been , when I took it off to do exercises etc it seemed to have swollen up a lot from when I had previously done so, for example the the evening before I would have exercised b4 bed then put brace back on to sleep in, then next morning removed brace at work and would have to massage the knee before I could work it again. As I did the injury on holiday, the op was done some 150 miles from home and then 2 weeks later I saw consultant at my local hospital who said it would be minimum 3 months before I was walking anthing like normally again, he wasn't far off the mark in that respect but things did improve more quickly once the brace was ditched.

Offline CoachB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #456 on: January 22, 2010, 03:56:13 AM »
Ruddski,

The variance in lenght of time prior to beginning of rehab may be due to the fact that reoccurance is an issue and the doctors, rightfully so, take the more conservative approach.  Also, our injury is not common so that may be another reason there is variance as to approach. 4 more weeks in an immobilizer does seem long.  Once you get to rehab you will begin to make immediate progress in terms of ROM. I am now 11 weeks post op and doing real well.  As I mentioned before I think I have an excellent PT.  I am going up and down steps and walking normally. My PT always talks with me about repairing the tissue, that it will take time, not to try to do too much.  For exercises I do step ups and step downs on a box, leg lifts, bicycling, and the PT has be on my stomach and stretching the quad by bending my leg up as far as he can.  And yesterday a new exercise was added.  We coaches used to call them wall sits.  But this exercise is with a basketballlball.  Place the ball in your lower lumbar area and do slight squats against the wall.  My PT has never put me in extreme pain.  Is message from the beginning was if it hurts for only a short pd of time, that is ok.  But if it is prolonged than we are doing too much.  Today I joined my local fitness center and started doing some strenght training for my upper body, and some quad exercises.  My PT also talks about eccentric movement is equally important.  I am trying to walk at least 30 minutes per day.  Again, I have no pain.  The quad is still tight when I bend the knee.  My swelling is not as bad as it was.  Good luck to you and the rest of the people who post on this site.  Your spirits and leg will improve once you begin rehab.

Offline charnsophie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #457 on: January 23, 2010, 04:37:08 AM »
It is very interesting to me to learn of the differences in treatment approaches for this injury. I have even heard of patients starting PT within a week of surgery!
I am happy with beginning PT a few days longer than 4 weeks post op. I have noted significant atrophy in my thigh muscles being only 4 weeks since injury.
I know the first 4 weeks of PT will be mostly stimulating thigh muscles and passive flexion.
Seems like the real work starts about 8 weeks post op...

Offline wesk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #458 on: February 06, 2010, 02:08:06 AM »
I was in a stiff leg brace right after surgery and participated in no pt until after 6 weeks.  My doc then kept me in the stiff brace for many months until I was well into pt, which made me very jealous of those in movable braces.  As someone stated above the real worry is reinjury and they see so few a year that there are many different interpretations on how aggressive to be with rehab early on.

Offline z06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #459 on: February 07, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »
Remember me? It's been 26 months since accident that ruptured BOTH knee quad tendons. Went through the surgerys, braces, 18 months of theraphy. Man, what an ordeal. Still not back to 80%. Dr. put me on perminent disability for ladders, stairs & squats. Work terminated my job after 22 years of employment without even a kiss. They could not provide me a suitable job for my injuries. Still have pain in knees, but no medication needed. So, it's back to school for 2 years. Haven't seen the inside of one of these buildings for 37 years. Man, I hate math.  Good luck all. I feel your pain.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:59:41 PM by z06 »

Offline Ian B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #460 on: February 10, 2010, 01:05:04 AM »
My last posts were back in early Dec.  I am now 22 weeks post op.  I did not stay with the formal PT.  I took the brace off after 6 weeks and started walking, climbing stairs etc.  I found when I was about 12 weeks, I was pushing for ROM, and concluded it was not worth it.  In the morning I would either pull the leg right in as tight as I could or I would squat on it with support using my arms.  I found that the leg was sore for the rest of the day.  I had about 130 degrees, and found that I was able to do anything I needed to do to get around (including work), so I quit pushing the ROM in the morning.  Leg felt much better.  Gradually ROM continued to improve.  It is not 100% yet, but I can basically squat down with both legs bent.  The left does not quite bend as far as the right, but it is close.  In the last week, I have started to get a little more agressive with exercise.  I spend 20-30 minutes on the treadmill in the morning (2 miles) and then do some leg curls on a weight bench.  I have been really lucky as while the injury slowed me down, after 4 weeks or so I was back at work fulltime and it has not really limited me.  I was on vacation in Jamaica last week and went scuba diving 11 times.  Needed to be careful with the extra weight on my back, but I was OK.  I am not trying to get back onto skis or other demanding sport, so I am probably far more tolerant of limitations compared to other posters.  Based on my progress so far, I am expecting to be 100% by summer.

My best advice for the newly injured remains the same.  I concluded if your leg was in a good stiff brace, you could not re-injure the tendon.  So I got rid of the crutches less than 2 weeks after the injury, and I walked on the leg lots.  I was very careful, but I climbed stairs, drove- basically did everything I could do.  I was weight bearing on day 2 after surgery.  The brace was gone for good at week 6.

Good luck to everyone.

IanB

Offline Patrick49

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
I'm now 11 weeks post accident. Thursday it will be 11 weeks since surgery. The doc finally took the brace off about ten days ago and I started enhanced  rehab with active ROM and the exercise bike and straight leg raises. Around week 6 he started me on passive ROM. I'm still using one  crutch with partial weight bearing. The doc forbids using weights during PT which seems to me very conservative. In terms of ROM I can do 106 degrees on my own and 115 with the therapist assisting.

When did other folks start using weights to enhance their rehab?  I'm ready to get this quadriceps working.

Offline SeatownShuffle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #462 on: February 23, 2010, 04:36:17 AM »
Long time no post.
Its been 6 months since my surgery and things have been going ok.
I have regained 100% of the flexion of my complete quad tendon rupture but have been having trouble regaining all of my quad strength and the related control of my knee joint.  The knee still gives away occasionally on uneven surfaces.  After talking the issue over with my therapist I went in for a check up with my ortho who ordered up an MRI (the first one for me).
The rest of the knee mechanism looks good aside from some patelar tendon tendinitis and the repair appears professional and strong but unfortunately it looks like 25% of the repair tore again. :(  Around 12 wks after surgery I stood up from a seated and flexed position and took to much of a load on my injured leg.  Blame it on an early morning and stupidity.  There was a moderate sharp pain which I iced for an hour and the pain dissipated.  Apparently I tore a weak part of the repair.  :'(
I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  It appears the options are to undergo surgery to try to repair the partial rupture or to try to rehab the 75% attachment and see if it is enough to rebuild my muscle mass.  Major bummer with no clear answer.
Any ideas you all may have would be appreciated.

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2010, 04:44:11 PM »
I am not a doctor; my opinion is based solely on how I feel.

Since the chance for re-rupture (I am told) is fairly high I would opt for the surgery to reinforce the injury. I knoe that surgery is a big deal having been under the knife now 5 times for knee related injuries; however, I would not want to take any chances with this particular injury.

My 2 cents...

Sue
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline SeatownShuffle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #464 on: February 24, 2010, 03:01:04 AM »
Thanks for the opinion Sue.  I'm just looking for opinions and promise not to hit any of you for mal-practice :)
I really am just looking for opinions and ideas from a group of people who have been there. 
This is a great thread and a good way for people to share ideas and understand a bit more about the vast array of experiences out there.
Despite all of the great work doctors do we all need to remember that they are refered to as "practicing" not "mastering" medicine.  It is up to each of us to bring whatever knowlege we have to the table to promote our improved health.

support