Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 458255 times)

Offline Griceberg

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #435 on: January 02, 2010, 05:01:05 PM »
Hey everyone, glad I found this siite.. I just found out wed. that I ruptured my Quad tendon. Slipped on the ice on mon(Dec 21st) and I'm scheduled for surgery on Wed the 30th. Nice to find a support group that has gone through this before. Because this happened around the holidays I have not been able to call back the doctor yet and have very little info. The good news is I have checked into the doc and have heard very good things about him. Do I get a full cast or knee brace? what kind of incision?he said that staying overnight is my option, but I noticed some people said that they stayed 2 nights. Also I am an avid skier and he mentioned he would not recommend ever skiing again, is that sometyhing I should just forget about or is he just being overly cautious? I know the skiing part should not be my concern until I heal, but it is a big part of my life.Thanks in advance.

Hey man. Sorryt o hear about that injury. Quad ruptures SUCK!!!!

As for my surgery, I had a straight leg brace for about a month, then to an adjustable brace to work on ROM. I had staples to close the incision that was about 10 inches long. By the way, everyone told me that staples don't hurt coming out. "They" lied.

As for the skiing, I sure hope you can return to that activity. I was very involved in powerlifting prior to my accident. My doctor told me that squatting was something that I did not need to do under any circumstances. Now, my PT had me doing squats during rehab and a VERY qualified exercise physiologist recommended squats in my rehab program. All that to say, sometimes you get conflicting information and suggestions from the doctor and PT. I have had a problem for over 3 years now with chronic pain and atrophy. Squatting and a return to powerlifting training is pretty much out for me. Hopefully, your situation is better. I'm not trying to paint an ugly picture of this situation, but you need to be ready for the worst case scenario.

I hope the surgery went well and you have a very smooth recovery.
5/25/06  Right quadriceps tendon rupture from patella.
6/9/06  Surgery to repair quad tendon. Anchored to patella with sutures.
- After 6 weeks, began physical therapy for two months.
1/2007  Began another month of pt.
- Currently still experiencing pain on top of and on the interior of the kneecap.

Offline ruddski1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #436 on: January 02, 2010, 06:35:28 PM »
Had surgery wed at 7:30 am. left hospital at around noon so that went well. Uncpomfotable no matter what I do with immobilizer on, but it keeps moving and the bandages slid dpown, called my Drs office and doc on call (new years day) told me to rewrap myself which I did. Not thrilled about exposing my wound when I wrapped it but it had to be done, now sliding again and i"m about to rewrap. Griceberg thanks for your help, luckily I was assuming taking the staples out would hurt! will post again and let you know how it's going.

Offline in2falling

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #437 on: January 02, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »
Hey man. Sorryt o hear about that injury. Quad ruptures SUCK!!!!

As for my surgery, I had a straight leg brace for about a month, then to an adjustable brace to work on ROM. I had staples to close the incision that was about 10 inches long. By the way, everyone told me that staples don't hurt coming out. "They" lied.

As for the skiing, I sure hope you can return to that activity. I was very involved in powerlifting prior to my accident. My doctor told me that squatting was something that I did not need to do under any circumstances. Now, my PT had me doing squats during rehab and a VERY qualified exercise physiologist recommended squats in my rehab program. All that to say, sometimes you get conflicting information and suggestions from the doctor and PT. I have had a problem for over 3 years now with chronic pain and atrophy. Squatting and a return to powerlifting training is pretty much out for me. Hopefully, your situation is better. I'm not trying to paint an ugly picture of this situation, but you need to be ready for the worst case scenario.

I hope the surgery went well and you have a very smooth recovery.

Yes quad tendon ruptures do suck, they take a long time to recover from. I am 1 year and about 8 months out from a complete rupture and repair from a bad skydiving landing. I had to have a second surgery to clean out scar tissue after I developed secondary fibrosis 7 months out from the first surgery and my ROM was stuck at 100. I had one of the best knee docs in the US working on my knee (also did my ACL 10 years ago on the other knee). He was able to do the quad tendon repair with about 2.75 inch incision and closed it up with dissolving/absorbable sutures, I was amazed and shocked when I first took off the bandages.

It took me over a year to get back to doing free bar squatting because of pain that would develop in patella tendon, had to use the squat machine for the longest of time so that I could keep my feet and knees more out in front of me as to not put lots of pressure on the patella tendon. The patella tendon pain slowly went away and was able to do normal squats again and strength is almost back to pre-injury.

I did all my own PT and only went to PT 5 times, main because of the cost and convenience. My plan on recovery was to get ROM back quickly, get repair/soft tissue pliable ( knew early on that I was developing scar tissue) and build back strength, but the scar tissue problems really set back my plans and it has taken a loonnggg time to regain my strength back.

I would say that I have recovered about 90 to 95% with the only remaining issue being off and on tightness/stiffness at the repair site (I feel the stiffness quite often), which has slowed down running and jumping movements. But the tightness/stiffness seems to be very slowly subsiding, that or I am just getting use to it. 

Offline Raggy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #438 on: January 03, 2010, 01:11:13 AM »
You guys are lucky, i have had ruptured quads in both legs goin into my 10yr & i still hav'nt been operated on. I am off to see my consultant on monday to see if there any hope for me. I have lear'nt how to walk in a different way, pain is really unbearable at times, but what choice do i have but to get on with it.
I am finding it the hardest now as i have a 17mth old baby girl & i want to get on the floor playin & to be able to carry her, so now i need them to find me an answer but i also dont want them to leave me worse off, i have fought had & long to have the mobility i have now.
The docs said it was all in my head thats why my legs didnt work & that i must be lazy & not doin the exercises i was given, it was only when i broke my arm in 3 plaes in PT that someone took notice that was over a yr down the rd, then i got messed about with doctors & here i am today found a doctor who is willing to taken me on but he doesnt seem to be in any rish to fix me.
Whats going to happen to me in the future i want to be fit for my daughter, not a knackered wreck!
Nicky

Offline CoachB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #439 on: January 03, 2010, 05:08:11 AM »
Had surgery wed at 7:30 am. left hospital at around noon so that went well. Uncpomfotable no matter what I do with immobilizer on, but it keeps moving and the bandages slid dpown, called my Drs office and doc on call (new years day) told me to rewrap myself which I did. Not thrilled about exposing my wound when I wrapped it but it had to be done, now sliding again and i"m about to rewrap. Griceberg thanks for your help, luckily I was assuming taking the staples out would hurt! will post again and let you know how it's going.

This is Coach B. Good to hear you made it through surgery.  The bandage slippage is normal. I also had to rewrap. I did not have staples, so I am not familiar with that.  The big issues is how long it takes to return to normal.  The first four weeks of post op were the hardest for me.  I got a little depressed, but once I was able to get out of the house it got a lot better.  Is it your right or left leg, because that will make a big difference in how soon you can drive again.  My doctor told me the biggest issues were infection, reinjury, and the length of time for complete recovery.  You mentioned you have a good PT, that is real important.  I am doing good at 9 weeks post op. Had 125 degree range of motion, walking well, and riding a bike.  However, today I slipped while mopping the floor and I think I aggrevated my injury because my leg is swelled more than normal.  My PT told me not to try to brace myself if I slip, but it is instictive to do so, and I did today.  I will be ok, but there can be these set backs. I am not sitting in my recliner with my leg elevated and icing down.  Good luck and keep in touch with issues.

Offline Griceberg

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #440 on: January 04, 2010, 12:33:36 AM »
I was very fortunate in that when I started PT at about 6 weeks after the operation, my ROM was 130. After just two visits, my right (injured) actually had more ROM than my left. It was surprising to everyone. Especially since it was two weeks after the accident before I had surgery.

Be sure to follow your PT's instructions and do the "homework" religiously.

Good luck!
5/25/06  Right quadriceps tendon rupture from patella.
6/9/06  Surgery to repair quad tendon. Anchored to patella with sutures.
- After 6 weeks, began physical therapy for two months.
1/2007  Began another month of pt.
- Currently still experiencing pain on top of and on the interior of the kneecap.

Offline philt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #441 on: January 07, 2010, 08:33:01 PM »
Hey everyone, glad I found this siite.. I just found out wed. that I ruptured my Quad tendon. Slipped on the ice on mon(Dec 21st) and I'm scheduled for surgery on Wed the 30th. Nice to find a support group that has gone through this before. Because this happened around the holidays I have not been able to call back the doctor yet and have very little info. The good news is I have checked into the doc and have heard very good things about him. Do I get a full cast or knee brace? what kind of incision?he said that staying overnight is my option, but I noticed some people said that they stayed 2 nights. Also I am an avid skier and he mentioned he would not recommend ever skiing again, is that sometyhing I should just forget about or is he just being overly cautious? I know the skiing part should not be my concern until I heal, but it is a big part of my life.Thanks in advance.

Full details of my rupture are in previous posts but if it's any comfort, I was back skiiing 7.5 months after my full right quad rupture (May 2007 rupture/op/repair, first ski Jan 2008).  I didn't do anything stupid (moguls, off piste etc) but once through the confidence barrier was pretty much back to normal (well as normal as my skiing ever gets!).  Only problem I had was pain in the patella tendon whenever I hit a bump but the repaired quad held up fine.  The same tendon took a while to settle down again post ski-trip which limited more rehab activity in the gym.  I had a hiccup last year when I jarred my "bad knee" when putting my ski boot on - I pretty much skiied for a couple of days on my good leg with a lot of pain in the patella tendon of the "bad leg" but this settled down again after some anti inflammatories.  Hasn't put me off and I'm going to the French alps in a couple of weeks and Banff in a couple of months and can't wait to hit the slopes again.   Good luck with your recovery - as they say on the slopes, "you have to get up to go down"!

Cheers

Phil T     

Offline ruddski1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #442 on: January 08, 2010, 03:17:56 PM »
Thanks for the support guys, it's good to read some posts about the progress (slow as it may be) from all of you. getting my staples out next week and looking forward to being told I eventually I can sleep without the brace. I know it's awhile off but not only would that mean I'm making progress but that has been one of the most frustrating things about this ordeal. Phil, thanks for your post about skiing again, I am setting a goal to ski next year now and since I have pretty much a year I know I'll be ready, great hearing about that.  I do not have a bike in my gym but I do have an eliptical machine, does anybody know how long before being able to use, also I guess I'm going to need a bike because it makes sense not to be standing when first working knee out.

Offline philt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #443 on: January 08, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »
I was encouraged to get an exercise bike by my PT and so picked one up cheaply on ebay.  Proved to be invaluable as a means of helping to  stretch my quads and hamstrings back to normal.  First use of a bike was 11 weeks post op, in the gym with my PT, and I couldn't do one revolution because my knee wouldn't bend enough!  Got their eventually and used the ebay bike regularly at home each day thereafter.

Rgds

Phil

Offline CoachB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #444 on: January 09, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »
ruddski1
Good to hear you are going to get your staples out, I remember how difficult it was to sleep at night. Had to stay on my back. As for the bike my PT did not put me on it until about 7 weeks post op, and he told me I was ahead of schedule.  I sure was tentative the first time on the bike.  At 9 weeks it is no problem.  Guessing you will need to get to near 120 ROM before being able to bike.  I saw my surgeron this week and he was real pleased, but told me it was important to proceed slowly.  Do not try to do too much.  At 9 wk post op I am now working on stepping down steps.  I continue to have swelling as the day progresses.  Surgeon & PT tell me this is normal and that even after 2 yrs my knee may swell to some extent.  But I have no pain.

Good luck.  These are the toughest times for you.  After 4 wks you should begin to feel a lot better in terms of comfort and ability to move around.  Proceed at this time in all of your movements with caution.

Offline Patrick49

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #445 on: January 13, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »
Well I'm now 6 weeks post-op and just started therapy today. Passive ROM and Quad sets. My ROM is only 80 degrees and that's with a fair amount of discomfort when he pushes it that far..... PT honestly told me he has only worked with one other quad rupture and he's an experienced therapist. So I'm wondering how far I should ask him to push it.  Any suggestions on other things to do to improve ROM?

Offline Hudswell

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #446 on: January 14, 2010, 05:47:54 PM »
Well possibly the newest addition to the club, I do not recommend exiting the attic without a stable ladder...anyway 1 week post op, which was the day after my injury, follow up at the two week point next week when the staples will also be removed. ROM brace fitted with probably 10 degree of movment and touch weight only.  Why in the attic...day before a  house move which has obviously been postponed..until beginning of Feb anyway.  Pain the evening when in bed but I must admit my leg feels more stable already. Judging from the posts I am in for a long period of Rehab, but moving to the Med might speed things up, weather, pool etc!!! always look on the bright side of life...just getting there will be a pain...literally..

Hudswell :)

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #447 on: January 15, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »
Hey Patrick 49-  take it slow with the rehab.  You have to do a dance with pushing the ROM to improve vs taking it too easy. Your tendon will let you know what to do.  I was told the 1st three months, passive stretching only, active stretching after that, and I followed that.   

It's been several months since I've been on the board and I can see the tendon ruptures contineue. I'm out 3.5 yrs. from my QTR.  It's doing great and as much frustration as you have, it will get better !! Keep the faith. 

Offline charnsophie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #448 on: January 20, 2010, 05:36:18 PM »
Usually I am quite proud to join a "group" that I choose...unfortunately not the case here. Not proud to be a fellow QUAD RUPTURE victim, but reading all of your posts and info somehow puts me in a bit of a more peaceful place.
Long story short:
42 year old active medical practitioner and photographer, slip and fall on last 4 steps in my home 3 days before Christmas.
I make my own diagnosis as I lay on the floor in a heap screaming bloody murder. I call my boss who is our head surgeon and he tells me this is an impossible diagnosis...there is no way I have a Quad tendon rupture and I laugh and cry at him on the phone and tell him to meet me at ER so I can show him.
SUrgery done one week later. Wow! I have never had that much pain; however, about 2 days after it was like the sun came up and pain dissipated.
I was pretty mobile on crutches pretty quickly.
Sutures came out yesterday at day 22 ( little late but ortho was on vaca and I had very hard time taking out my own sutures!)
PT to commence next Thursday which will be a little over 4 weeks post op.
I am so excited to start PT because it will mean this long road is getting shorter.
I finally can sleep at least 3-4 hours at once whereas the first few weeks I never slept more than an hour at a time.
The saddest part for me is passively contracting my poor quad each day when I shower, rebandage and seeing how weak and soft it is...
You folks are helping me see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I wish all of you the best successes with your rehab and may we all feel better than the previous versions of ourselves in the best due time.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #449 on: January 20, 2010, 06:38:03 PM »
Hi Maria

Delighted that you have found the correct thread on KneeGaru - lots to learn by reading previous posts and exchanging personal experiences.

I hope that the 3 documents which I have alreeady sent to you will give you a rough idea of the PT procedures.

Best wishes

JohnK/Manchester UK

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support