Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 458031 times)

Offline philt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #420 on: December 03, 2009, 05:34:32 PM »
Hi Patrick

Sorry you've had to join the band of ruptured quadders!

Apart from some pain immediately after my op (within 18 hours of my fall which completely ruptured my right quad) I was remarkably pain free albeit in a leg brace with strict instructions not to try and bend for 6 weeks as you have been advised.  I could also walk and bear weight with crutches within 24 hours of the op.  Hopefully you'll be the same.  Based on my experience I wouldn't worry about your knee locking up but i think you'll have to accept it'll take a few months before you can fully bend again.  Time, patience and exercise in due course seems to be the course of action (plus determination to work to getting as fully fit as you can).

regards

Phil

Offline Ian B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »
Hi Patrick,

I am now 12 weeks post op from complete tendon tear.  My recovery has continued to be great.  I basically have full ROM, and I am walking quite normally.  Still have pain and swelling when I am on the leg for long periods, but it gets better every week.  I was walking on crutches within 24 hours of surgery, off crutches 10 days post op.  I took the brace off for good after 6 weeks.

The worst discomfort continues to be when I am sitting or in bed.  Even that is slowly improving.

I concluded early on that as long as the brace kept the leg straight, the repair could not be re-injured, so I walked lots with the brace on, full weight bearing on the straight injured leg.  I only went ot one PT session and was disappointed with what was done.  I felt I was better off on my own.

I credit my recovery to 3 or 4 factors.  Surgery was less than 2 days after fall.  I had a good surgeon (that was good luck, I was not being picky at the time).  I do not think I had any serious collateral damage, everything else around the knee was just fine.  Lastly, although I was very careful not to risk falling or re-injuring, I pushed the envelope continually with regard to my mobility.

Hope your recovery goes as well.

IanB

Offline Patrick49

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #422 on: December 09, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »
I'm six days post surgery and I think I'm doing pretty well although in honesty I have not done very much. My post op instruction were non-weight bearing on the injured leg so I've been careful not to put any weight on it. I wonder if I should request to bear weight? Would that accelerate my rehab?

My pain is very mangeable. I took some of the narcotic pain pills the first couple of days but they made me dizzy and nauseated so now I'm just taking naproxyn. I wonder if anyone has any opinions on other non narcotic pain relief. I see the OS on Monday wonder if I should ask for celebrex or something elsde or just stick with the Aleve and Motrin? Night time is the worst.

Patrick

Offline Ian B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #423 on: December 09, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Patrick,

I was very fortunate with regard to pain.  I was off the rpescription pain meds 3 days after surgery.  Took the occasional Tylenol, but nothing on a regular basis.  If you have a good brace that keeps the leg straight, and you do not have big pain, I would weightbear.  I did with no problems.  After 10 days, I was walking on it.

Ian

Offline nrd515

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #424 on: December 11, 2009, 08:11:40 AM »
Hi Patrick, welcome to a club nobody wants to join. It seems that pain ranges from almost nothing, except right after surgery, like mine was, to continuing pain for some time. I had a couple of hours of muscle spasms, and that's it. I've had, let's see, 4 other operations, and this was by far, the least painful, but it's having a longer recovery than all of them put together, and one of them almost killed me. I think the keeping the leg motionless for more than a few days is an old timey thing, and isn't really a good idea, as movement will get blood circulating and also keep clots to a minimum. As long as no weight is put on the leg while bent, it's not likely to hurt anything. I was having my leg lifted just a few days after surgery, and they asked me if I was feeling pain, and I kept saying "No", so they kept bending it. I was sliding on a pad it in therapy soon after that. I was exercising today, and there is no difference whatsoever in my range of motion between the leg that had the blown quad, and the other leg, I can kick myself with ease. You might want to talk to your doctor about moving it a little.

A friend of mine had his leg kept motionless after he blew his about 15 years ago, and it took him a long tme to get any real range of motion back. He was back to running after a long period of recovery, but stopped after his knees decided they had enough of that, and told him so. I wish my right knee would hurt a little instead of being numb, I would be thrilled.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Offline PAShoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #425 on: December 14, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »
Hi Patrick

Apart from some pain immediately after my op (within 18 hours of my fall which completely ruptured my right quad) I was remarkably pain free albeit in a leg brace with strict instructions not to try and bend for 6 weeks as you have been advised.  I could also walk and bear weight with crutches within 24 hours of the op.  Hopefully you'll be the same.  Based on my experience I wouldn't worry about your knee locking up but i think you'll have to accept it'll take a few months before you can fully bend again.  Time, patience and exercise in due course seems to be the course of action (plus determination to work to getting as fully fit as you can).

regards

Phil

Offline PAShoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #426 on: December 14, 2009, 08:57:05 PM »
Ruptured my quadriceps tendon 8 weeks ago. Had the op on day 2 and released from hospital on day 4 after weekend.
Fitted with back cast for first 2 weeks, then full cast for next 3 weeks. Now fitted with a knee brace set at 90 deg by consultant.
Doing exercises advised by PT to build up muscles which appear to be working but slow!!!!!. knee still swells up pretty badly at nights and aches a lot.
Initial target set by consultant and PT is 90 deg of knee bend and so far can get about 80/85 after some work (about 8/10 mins).
PT have advised to take off knee brace during time at home and only use it when walking about outside. I am seeing consultant next week so will wait
to see what he says. Everything seems to be going ok but would appreciate any experiences of other kneegeeks.
Thanks in advance.

Hi Patrick

regards

Phil

I am trying to figure out how to join this discussion.

I fell stepping down a stair at the Wachovia center. I when to an Emergecy Room near my home ( I could drive since my left leg was the problem). They took an x-ray and gave me a brace. The next day I called a surgeon and he saw me and told me I had torn the quad off the knee completely. On day 4+ I had surgery in which thay reattached it with holes and screws. It is now week 3+. I am still wearing an immobilizer exept when off my feet to sleep or shower. I can walk easily but use a cane when out. I am 70 years old and am retired. Prior to the spill I was golfing 5 days a week. My only job now is to get back to full strength so I can golf again. I had a home care PT for 2 weeks and he discharged me with 5 fairly mild exercises, which I do daily.

My surgeon told me I was wear the brace for 6 weeks and then he would check me out and then I would begin rehab. I found this site while looking to find what I can expect in rehab.

Offline CoachB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #427 on: December 15, 2009, 04:44:46 AM »
I am a 63 yr. old male who was very physically acitve and in real good physical condition.  I completely tore my left quad tendon playing basketball in early Oct. when I was 1700 miles from home.  First major injury of my lifetime.  Had surgery back home in late Oct. and am now bout 6 wks post op. I was put in an immobilizer for 1st 4 weeks and was immediately weight bearing at about 30%.  Started PT at about 4 wks. Since going to physical therapy have made a lot of progress in terms of range of motion.  Today I was at 105 ROM.  Feel good about being able to sit in a chair and have both feet on the ground. Easier now to get in and out of the car (I am 6'7"). Patience and adherence to a good rehab program seem to be the key. Still have swelling in knee, which increases as day progresses.  Walking normal except when swelling becomes an issue.  Be diligent about doing your exercises, be patient, and above all get a physical therapist who knows what they are doing. This is not a common injury.  I have an experience PT and he only sees 3 or 4 of these injuries per year. I have been reading posts on this website and others and am glad to share my experiences with you.  I am a retired college basketball coach and there was never anything easy about preparing to win.  The same can be said about overcoming this injury.  But it can be done!

Offline bloodknock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #428 on: December 16, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »
Hi Darrell - VICTORIA, CANADA

Thanks for your message of support and encouragement.
Stiffness at night has eased but not totally gone away which helps.
Just managed to bath in the last few days for the 1st time post op. which was enjoyed.

Finding walking hard outside but try to do some daily - 100m at the moment which is not much.
Working at the exercises, and PT group in the hospital and trying to get my head down to see it through - frequent iceing every day a must.
Hope that you are in good nick - Christmas Greetings to you and all your family.
Regards

Peter

Offline shytiger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #429 on: December 17, 2009, 03:44:13 AM »
This is the biggest torn quadricep tendon thread I've seen so far.  I'm 38 yrs old and partially tore my quad tendon a year 1/2 ago.  I was replacing some shingles on my roof when I lost my traction and fell and landed in a power squat.  I heard a pop then rolled.  I went to the ER and they did an xray an told me that I didn't tear anything.  They gave me a brace and crutches and sent me on my way.  After the swelling went down I should have gone and seen a surgeon.  I was still able to straighten my leg, even with resistance on my bowflex.  I ended up rehibilitating myself.  A year after my accident I finally went to see a orthopedic surgeon.  As soon as she observed my quad she told me I had torn it.  It was late in the game but she said they could still do the surgery and then she went on to explain the recovery procedures.  I had an MRI done and they sent it to her.   She called me back and told me if I wanted, that they could do the surgery but it was not mandantory.   I haven't had the surgery and I don't know if I should.  My knee is not 100% however I can still run and jump, but I have to be careful.  I'm really hesitant to have surgery because I'm afraid that I might be worse off since I waited too long.

Here's my before and after pics.  The first one is right after I returned from the ER.  The Second is what the injury looks like now.

Offline Griceberg

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #430 on: December 21, 2009, 03:44:57 AM »
Shytiger,

My advice would be to NOT get cut on unless it is 100% necessary, i.e. your tendon completely ruptures. If you are ambulatory and can run, jump, etc., be happy with what you've got.

Good luck and have a Merry Christmas.
5/25/06  Right quadriceps tendon rupture from patella.
6/9/06  Surgery to repair quad tendon. Anchored to patella with sutures.
- After 6 weeks, began physical therapy for two months.
1/2007  Began another month of pt.
- Currently still experiencing pain on top of and on the interior of the kneecap.

Offline shytiger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #431 on: December 22, 2009, 03:35:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice Griceburg.  The doctor explained to me that they would haveto sever the remaining parts of the tendon that are still attached and suture them them through the patella as well.  It just didn't sound like a logical approach to me.  But you're correct...I should be content with being 80% rather than risk coming out worse than I was.  I just hope it does not effect me when I get further along in age.

thanks again.

Offline ruddski1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »
Hey everyone, glad I found this siite.. I just found out wed. that I ruptured my Quad tendon. Slipped on the ice on mon(Dec 21st) and I'm scheduled for surgery on Wed the 30th. Nice to find a support group that has gone through this before. Because this happened around the holidays I have not been able to call back the doctor yet and have very little info. The good news is I have checked into the doc and have heard very good things about him. Do I get a full cast or knee brace? what kind of incision?he said that staying overnight is my option, but I noticed some people said that they stayed 2 nights. Also I am an avid skier and he mentioned he would not recommend ever skiing again, is that sometyhing I should just forget about or is he just being overly cautious? I know the skiing part should not be my concern until I heal, but it is a big part of my life.Thanks in advance.

Offline CoachB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #433 on: December 29, 2009, 04:07:40 AM »
Sorry to hear about your injury.  I am now 8 weeks post op and doing fine.  Now have 120 degree ROM and ability to step up.  Next have to learn to go down steps.  Started riding the bike at last rehab with PT.  As I mentioned in a previous post I think the PT is really important.  Try to find the best you can get.  The PT needs to be able to evalute where you are ane apply approprite protocol. I think it a good idea to be patient, work hard on the rehab exercises, but dont try to do too much too soon. With regard to your upcoming operation your incision will be from above the knee cap location to below. Mine is now hardly noticeable.  My doc used regular stitches.  You will have the option to stay over night.  I did not.  Make sure you take your pain medication for a few days.  Keep your leg elevated.  My doc had me apply about 30% weight with the use of crutches.  I was placed in a knee brace immobilizer.  I had to keep in on for about 4 weeks. It will be difficult for you to sleep in bed, drive a car, use the bathroom, and put your pants and shoes on.  But you will learn how.  The Quad tendon rupture is a dehabilitating injury and it requires a long rehab ( I was told 6 months for complete recovery).   The first four weeks were the worst for me, as I was not able to do much of anything.  But doing fine now.  If it is your left quad tenton you will be able to get yourself in the car and drive.  If it is the right, it will take you much longer before you can drive because you will not have enough range of motion. Good luck and I hope I was able to answer some of your quesitons.  I am Coach B and I have an earlier post. 

Offline ruddski1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #434 on: December 29, 2009, 05:18:20 PM »
Thanks coach B, I appreciate your help. I go for surgery tomorrow and am in a good mindset, Just going to do what they ask and work on getting better.  I already have a good P.T. that my wife has workeed with in the past and I'll take it 1 day at a time.
I'm sure at 6'7" it's hard enough to get in a car without this injury. This is also my first majoor injury (I'm 47) so I guess i should at least be grateful for that. Will post again after surgery.

support