Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 474197 times)

Jobo Pooks

Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #345 on: October 30, 2008, 10:35:37 AM »
Hello all.  :D

6 months in now. Moving in the right direction. Here's my blog rather than fill up this space. Hope it helps those who may need encouragement.
KNEE JOB

Offline sball

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Disabled Parking Disk
« Reply #346 on: November 15, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »
Hi all (especially John42)

I haven't been on for monts - since moved from Dubai to the UK. I managed a comlete rupture of my right quads tendon in Dec 06, with surgery Jan 07. Also diabetic.

Now 22 months out. Still ongoing pain, although ROM good.

John42 - you mentioed about applying for a disabled parking disk. Can you advise hpw to do this?

Rgds

Stuart

Offline lamar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #347 on: November 16, 2008, 12:26:14 AM »
Hi Stuart,
I was able to get a Temporary Disabled sticker from AZ DMV with a letter from OS.
It has come in handy.....Good Luck.
Lamar

Offline rann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #348 on: November 17, 2008, 04:59:49 PM »
Hi,I ruptured my (right) quad tendon 7 weeks ago and had surgery 6 weeks and 3 days ago. I start out patient PT this week and had a PT come into my house for several weeks- just working on leg lifts basically. I have an adjustable brace-but it is set at 0 extention right now. I am able to walk around the house without crutches, but i take one crutch with me if i walk outside. My knee really seemed to improve after 5 weeks. Now my biggest concern is how tired I get if i walk outside or even go for a ride and to the store. (I still can't drive) But my energy level is so low. And yesterday i was out for about 5 hours and i came home and slept 12 hours!! My knee did well-but my body did not! This lethargic feeling is so hard for me to deal with. I was fairly active before this injury and practiced yoga and use to run--I have not started work yet. I teach and am doing lesson plans and grading from home-but can't go in to the classroom yet.

I am really worried about my lack of strength and energy. Does anyone have advice?
Thank you so much.
ann

Offline rann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #349 on: November 17, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
I just posted an entry, but I forgot to say that I am having difficulty raising my leg at all from a reclining position. I can tell the muscles are getting a little stronger around my knee, but i can't believe that i am unable to really lift my leg from that position. I am a little over 6 weeks since surgery.
Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #350 on: November 19, 2008, 05:36:24 PM »
Hi Ann,
Re: the lethargy....it will diminish.  If you were like me (and I assume anyone with this injury), you have been pretty sedentary for several weeks, and it will take time to build your stamina back up to pre-rupture levels.  I can remember going out to rake leaves for a half an hour (while recuperating) and being wiped out the rest of the day from it. I can also remember going out to the store with my wife early on and after a very short period of time just telling her I needed to leave and go home I was so tired!  That is one of the frustrations with this injury....healing, recovery takes a long time.

Keep up with trying to raise the leg from the reclining position, that too takes time before you can do it effortlessly.  Keep plugging away and don't get discouraged.  ;D

Offline rann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #351 on: November 20, 2008, 08:55:31 PM »
Thank you for your reply. It makes me feel better that you also were very tired after this injury and surgery. I start out-patient PT tomorrow and an very excited. :)

Offline shooter

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2008, 09:28:10 PM »
Hi, I hope I'm in the  righ area. I broke my left ankle, Fractured my left Fib and topped it all off by rupturing my right Quad Tendon on 11/09/2008.  I missed two stairs and went all the way to the bottom landing. I had my staples and stiches taken out yesterday. No pt of any kind until Thanksgiving day. I have to say this is a VERY humbling experence. I envy some and glad I'm not others. I am a very active independent person, and having to learn to relay on others is tough.You all have helped answer alot of my questions. I don't know how you all managed to stay up beat as you have. How did you do it?

Offline z06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #353 on: November 23, 2008, 04:28:59 AM »
I ruptured both Quad Tendon in a fall in Dec 07. Went through all the braces & stuff( 6 weeks ). Have been going to PT for 8 months, 5 days a week. Still having pain in left knee. Had OS on right knee in Aug 08, not too bad now. Have to see surgen again in Jan 09 about left knee. Can drive & go up stairs, but coming down is still tough. Can walk on treadmill for 12 minutes, & then too much pain. Boy, almost a year & still having problems. How long is this going to be? Starting to get on my nerves.

Offline Griceberg

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #354 on: December 30, 2008, 01:31:56 AM »
MAN! That is tough. You ruptured BOTH tendons?!?!?!? I can't imagine how horrible that must've been.

I am now 30 months post op and I still have a good deal of pain. My tendon pulled right off of the kneecap. I think the repair itself is the cause of the pain. You can tell that my kneecap pulls inward at the bottom. This, I believe, is from the tension of the sutures pulling it in.

I wish I had some beneficial tips for you, but I have tried everything and still have pain, atrophy, and lack of strength.

Good luck!
5/25/06  Right quadriceps tendon rupture from patella.
6/9/06  Surgery to repair quad tendon. Anchored to patella with sutures.
- After 6 weeks, began physical therapy for two months.
1/2007  Began another month of pt.
- Currently still experiencing pain on top of and on the interior of the kneecap.

Offline LIL ITALY 8888

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #355 on: January 21, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »
Hello everyone;

I fell four years ago on my left knee, and my diagnosis was a chronic rupture of the quadriceps tendon with chondromalacia of the patellofemoral joint.  I have had nothing but problems with my knee and quadriceps tendon.  My knee gives away and always hurts.  I have fallen many times too many to count.  My knee just does not work.  The surgeon did not repair it for 6 to 8 months after the tear.  And I cannot walk up stairs, my knee gives away all the time.  I am in pain all the time I know have post traumatic digenerative changes in my knee.  Any advice for me?

Thank You

Offline Griceberg

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »
Lil Italy,

I still have a good deal of pain. It's like a really bad "sore" feeling. And my strength in my right leg is probably about 75% of my left leg. When working out in the gym, my left leg compensates so much for my right one on leg press and squats that I have just about quit doing those exercises all together.

It's been 4 years? Just out of curiosity, how long after the accident did you have surgery?
5/25/06  Right quadriceps tendon rupture from patella.
6/9/06  Surgery to repair quad tendon. Anchored to patella with sutures.
- After 6 weeks, began physical therapy for two months.
1/2007  Began another month of pt.
- Currently still experiencing pain on top of and on the interior of the kneecap.

Offline z06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #357 on: February 15, 2009, 11:27:51 PM »
I ruptured both Quad Tendon in a fall in Dec 07. Went through all the braces & stuff( 6 weeks ). Have been going to PT for 8 months, 5 days a week. Still having pain in left knee. Had OS on right knee in Aug 08, not too bad now. Have to see surgen again in Jan 09 about left knee. Can drive & go up stairs, but coming down is still tough. Can walk on treadmill for 12 minutes, & then too much pain. Boy, almost a year & still having problems. How long is this going to be? Starting to get on my nerves.
   Well it's been 14 months since my surgery. Still having problems. Now I'm waiting for the call to have my left knee scoped to remove more scar tissue & junk. Taking alot more time than I figured.

Offline Firechik

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #358 on: February 19, 2009, 02:34:46 AM »
First time posting here, new visitor.  I wrecked my motorcycle on 9/4/08 and fell on my bent knee (took all my weight).  Resulted in broken patella and complete rupture of the quadriceps tendon.  Had surgery that day to reattach (one piece of patella was too small to wire back so they tossed it out).  Very slow recovery, I'm still using a cane, and physical therapy 2x/week.  About 3 weeks ago I notice a lump next to my incision towards the top of the knee.  Then the next day my knee locked up twice.  Saw the OS a couple days later and he thought miniscus tear, so order an MRI.  After trouble with insurance, finally had the MRI on 2/9.  OS never called with results so PT called hospital on Friday to get the MRI report.  MRI shows partial rupture of the tendon.  I'm so bummed out I can't tell you.  I've done EVERYTHING I've been told, I haven't fallen or even stumbled, I haven't over-done things.  Called the OS today and was told they could get me in NEXT WEEK!!  I about lost it!  Called my primary doctor and she got me an appt on Thursday at a Sports Med/Ortho practice an hour away on Thursday (my OS isn't a sports med guy -- I live in a very small town and he was my only option for emergency surgery).  Has anyone else out there had this?  I have no idea what to expect.  Can more surgery be done to repair or is it too late?  I'm so upset.  I'm a wildland firefighter and I'm so afraid this could be career ending.  Thanks for any help.   
patellar fracture and complete quadriceps rupture 9/4/08

Offline z06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »
I wouldn't get too upset about more surgery. The repair should work. Just takes lots of time. I've been 14 months since surgery with both Knees ruptured. I need more surgery on my right knee & they say it will be 6-12 months before they can do it.  :'(

support