Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 398520 times)

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2007, 10:39:08 PM »
Hey sorry to hear that your having diffculties.  I am hoping that won't help.  Are they doing any massaging at all for you at pt?? That seems to be doing the trick for me other than bike and heel slides. I am at a hault at 90 degrees. I am hoping that this won't stay tight forever that is my only complaint right now.  They ordered me an estim unit? For home so on my own I can use it twenty min a day that seems to help my quad muscles etc a lot.  The swelling comes and goes. I guess that is the way after surgery.  Good luck to you hope  you don't have to have another procedure, this one is already costing me a fortune!

Offline binkeyhb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2007, 03:14:46 AM »
Boy, my knee caps hurt too(have bilateral rupture). ICE is my friend! i'm also using lidocaine patches. didn't ask the surgeon but they help. wish you Goddd's speed.
Binkey
Binkey

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2007, 10:36:10 PM »
Hey everyone hope all is well! Thought I would give you a six week update. I was last measured at 112 for rom, although I am sure im doing 120 now.  I successfully rode the bike at pt for the first time on friday. .Boy does that help! I went back to work so far three days in a row, I am so sore. I have charlie horses and super tight on lateral side of leg.   I know this is normal and takes time.  The first day back to work I went home in tears because it hurt so bad!  I am doing a little better, hamstrings still need a lot of stretching and  ;Dare super tight.  But other than that I am walking great and OS is happy with me. I was told not ot worry about the brace because I have regained control of my knee .  I just dont feel like Im gonna lose balance or fall flat on my face anymore so i guess thats good. I was perscribed to therapy until i got better hahahaha. I hope everyones recovery is going well, My os keeps saying patince it will get better.  Talk to  you soon ;D

Offline binkeyhb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2007, 05:06:40 AM »
Hi All, I'm 12 weeks post-op from bilateral quad ruptures.  Can go upstairs  but can't go down.. also P.T. doesn't want me to try elliptical yet.  I was jogging 40 miles per week before ruptures. Surgeon tells me I can't jog anymore. anybody else a sidelined ex-jogger?
Binkey
Binkey

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2007, 02:39:40 PM »
Hey guys...well the manipulation went well. My OS was able to get me to 140. A few hours afterwards  I went to PT and they measures me at 120. At 11 weeks  I was 95 passive and even that took alot of pain. Now its two weeks since manipulation (13 weeks post-op) and I am still around 120 after dropping to 110 last week. I am walking without brace and no crutch or cane. I am walking with a slight limp. Sometimes  I will get a feeling like the knee has given out, but my pt says that my quad muscles are so weak they are not ready to support the patella.

Cynthia: I know what u mean about the tight lateral feeling on lateral side. Mine is on the inside of my leg. I was beginning to wonder if it was scar tissue. I just massage it like crazy morning and night.  The nights are tough  with my legs touching so  I stil sleep with pillow between my legs. I am back to work and bring ice paks in a cooler to keep the aches and swelling down.

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2007, 05:56:36 PM »
I am celebrating my one year post tendon rupture.  I have to say at this point it feels pretty good and strong.  It occasionally gets stiff if I sit to long without moving it, but otherwise feels good.  The worst part is the flashbacks to last year at this time when I went from being very active to sitting around with a leg brace and the impending surgery.

I was careful the last few days not to venture to the part of the yard where I slipped on the wet grass....sort of bad karma.  But, overall I have been working there, careful when I walk down the inclined slope that caused the spill.   

I haven't jogged yet. I hoping to venture into that shortly, however.  I do credit doing a lot of biking over the last 3-4 months with rebuilding my quad muscles and getting the tendon back to relative normlity.  I did both road and mtn. bike doing up to 30 miles at a stretch with significant hills and a partner who pushed me.

To all of you who are early in the rehab process....keep your chin up and leg moving.....it will get better!! 

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2007, 06:59:03 PM »
Thanks Frederico. How much pt did you actually go thru after your surgery. Are you able to go up and down steps without any problems? Not sure what type of climate you live in, but how much has the weather played a part in your rehab and does it affect you?

Thanks....

John

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
« Reply #82 on: August 29, 2007, 02:15:44 AM »
John,  I went through about 3 months of PT.  The first month was strictly passive stretching.  Only after 90 days post -surgery would the OS allow any active stretching.  My PT knew I would work out on my own, so he was okay with me D/C treatment with him.  I joined a gym and have an elliiptical trainer and bike trainer which I used for the next 3 months until it was warm enough to get out and bike on the roads. 

I can go up and down steps with no problemo.  That was one thing that took seemingly forever to get back to normal.  I can remember hearing me going down step-step....step-step.....

As far as weather...I'm not sure whether you mean the weather changes affecting how my knee feels, or whether you're just talking about snow, rain, cold ice etc.  I can't say the barometric pressure affects anything at least that I can tell.  I know I have heard others say it affects their joints.  I took it easy over the winter here - being very careful with ice/snow etc.  (I live in NE Pennsylania) As I mentioned above - I did most of my exercise indoors until the weather broke, which was late this year.  Slipping on ice/snow/ wet pavement was a recurring nightmare for me, and I took it waaay slow for that reason.  I did have one incidence which I relayed in a previous post, and it scared the begeebers out of me, as well as stressed my leg significantly, so the 6-12 month period is still perilous with regards to re-injury in my mind. 

Hope that answers what you asked! 

Regards to all.   

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
Frederico: Thanks for the info. As you may have read from my past posts I had some difficulty in reaching decent ROM after surgery. But now its been 4 weeks post-MUA and my passive rom is 130...starting to work on strenthening the quads now.... I was interested in how the weather change/barometric pressure might affect this type of injury. I ruptured my achilles about 7 years ago and the Barm. pressure did affect it the first two years or so, but now I cant tell...I live in NJ so we get pretty much the same type of weather....For now I am going to pt 3x week for the next 6 weeks......I live in NJ so we get pretty much same type of weather maybe you alittle more cold and snow. I live by ocean so snow accumulations are not as bad as it is inland. Believe me I am not looking forward to ice and snow this year and its just around the corner.....

Being one year out, how is your sleeping.  I still have to sleep with a pillow between my legs to ease the uncomfortable feeling when sleeping on my sides and my knees/legs touching.  Do you still get swelling or those sharp shooting pains?

Thanks again for you comments .. they were helpful

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2007, 12:05:39 AM »
John, I have no problems now sleeping on my side with my legs/knees touching.  However, I remember it being many months post-surg. (3-4?) before I gave up sleeping with the pillow between my knees.  I have no swelling or any shooting pains. Really, no discomfort in my leg currently except some stiffness from time to time.  I might add that my wife thinks I have a high pain threshold...so maybe that is a factor as well. 
Congrats on getting some more ROM.  I found doing some yoga stretching was helpful in keeping the stretching going beyond what I did at the PT.

Best regards.

Offline philt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2007, 07:08:10 PM »
Hi again all.  It's been a few weeks since my last post and good to see everyone's making progress.  I'm now 18 weeks post-op and have got full rom back - can now kneel down and sit back on my haunches without too much discomfort (not sure I could do that before!).  Interested in the comment about yoga as I'm thinking of taking it up having never done it before.  Does it help with strength building too?  Currently hitting the gym morning and evening before and after work and working on strength (bike, step, hamstrings, squats).  Stairs coming down are "clunky" when I lead with my good leg as my bad leg still can't take the full weight but it's getting better even though I look a bit ungainly!  Have also picked up the skipping/jump rope which has been interesting experience as it's the first impact work I've done.  First attempts wouldn't have looked out of place on a TV video clip show but just starting to get the rhythm back now so hoping that will help too.  Biggest frustration is stiffness around the knee but hoping that this is just a matter of time.  Take care all.  Phil

Offline philt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2007, 06:09:20 PM »
Had a follow up with my PT today.  She tested the strength of my quads on a cybex machine.  Came out at 40% of normal compared to my "good leg".  What a downer!  Good news was that my hamstrings are now back to full strength.  21 weeks post op and 40% normal strength!!  I'm taking comfort from other posts that things will get back to normal eventually.  In the meantime plan to hit the gym even harder - next cybex test in 2 weeks and PT looking for improvement!  Anyone else experienced cybex?   

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2007, 12:03:10 AM »
For everyone's edification.....I have done yoga for many, many years and felt it has been beneficial in keeping me free from back problems - an occupational hazard for me. 

Anyway, there is one yoga pose and I'm not sure it an "official" pose, but a transition to a pose, that I have found really stresses, and stretchs my quad tendon.  Try it. 
Lay on your back on the floor with your knees raised and feet flat on the floor.  Grab your ankles and raise your pelvis up off the floor.  In this position, then pivot your knees slightly to the left and right and you will feel some additional stretching.   

btw, I have never heard or experienced the cybex.

Regards to all.

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2007, 03:51:43 AM »
Hey everyone.  I thought I would say hi and post since I haven't done so in a long time.  I am doing okay. I have 100 rom.  I have full hamstring strength. I am still having problems going up and downstairs( hyperextension, confidence) .  There trying to help me with that. I think it will be at least a year before im okay with it.  I am doing cybex in ptherapy. It seems to be helping me out a lot. I have weakness still not as bad as before. Most of the pain is gone now, except in ptherapy and working 10 hour shifts.  Other than that I think thats it.  I had my 3 month check up , same old takes time and lose weight.  At least I could say I lost 10 lbs so far in recovery.  I hope everyone is doing well Ill check back in. 

Offline BTI

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Can Do
    • Mind Karate
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2007, 10:24:16 PM »
What a great resource to have found, thank you all for your posts and replies, very helpful.  I am a 45 yr.old male, very active, hike, gym 4 days a week.
I ruptured my rt. quad tendon in 3 places, and tore part of my quad muscle...Playing Golf!  A small piece of the knee cap broke off too.  I had surgery two days later, the OS said it was a bit chellenging and took 75 minutes to perform.  I was placed in an immobilizer and told I would be on crutches for 6-8 weeks.  Last week I took myself off of the painkillers (Percocet) they were making me crazy. I take Iburofen once or twice a day now. My next appointment is in 4 days and I have many questions thanks to this site. 

I am anxious to begin some kind of therapy, but don't want to push to fast and have a setback.  Besides moving my foot and rotating my ankle, flexing my calf muscle...is there anything else I could be doing to help?

Thanks for your time,

Brandon
Best regards,

Brandon

Pain is nothing but a feeling.  It tells us we are trying, we are getting better. We must do what we think we cannot. Success to all...

1980 R-ACL
1995 L-ACL
9-20-2007 R Quad Rupture

support