Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 398549 times)

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2007, 06:30:51 PM »
I only wished that my hamstrings were more flexible...I think that is what is holding me back some...anyway  I am progressing slowly... Yesterday  I had PT and he decided to put me thru the normal workout and then do measurement and it came to about 87 ROM.. as you recall the goal was 90 ROM or there would be talk of MUA.......I was alittle disapponted in falling short, but have to admit I did alot more walking than excercising this weekend, so there is some guilt. In anycase, I know that i have made some progress and wouldnt be surprised when I go back today, although still sore, I'll be loose......

My knee cap is quite sore and I was told that was due to the walking that I did. I was advised to wean down to one crutch and that is what I am doing. I am still wearing brace and that helps steady me.....

Thats it for now....

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2007, 03:24:46 PM »
Saw my OS last and right now I am about 87 degrees. The goal was to hit 90 so I was close. He is now giving me another 2 weeks to get to 110 ROM..... He advised me to stop using crutches and remove the brace........I know everyone is different, but can anyone give me their ROM experiences based on their weeks after post op?

At 8 weeks post op is 87 ROM good or bad....

Thanks...

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2007, 07:38:56 PM »
87 is almost 90 in my book and I think that is great for 8 weeks out. I had an adjustable brace, which I received 1 week post surgery. I started out with 10 or 15  degrees motion and increased it 10 degrees/ week.  That seemed just great for me. The brace protected the knee from too much flexion, but it allowed it to get a bit more motion each week. That should get you to about where you are after 8 weeks. Keep working on passive knee flexion, little by little- and as my OS told me "no ballistic moves"!

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2007, 08:14:40 PM »
Thanks Frederico,

I think sometimes that my OS is just alittle too aggressive....so I have no feeling of whether I am doing well or not..this board helps for sure...

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2007, 10:56:49 PM »
Hey guys, Im back from second day of pt.  It was a great feeling. I can bend my knee now 40 degrees. I do have my brace set for 30 tho. At least Ill be able to start driving and doing more on my own. I felt worked when I got home.  Still not able to to straight leg raise against gravity, but can lift it when a mat is underneath it. That is a sure sign ill be able to do them soon.  I am just so happy about bending it enough to put shoes and socks on!! Its third week since surgery yayay ;D

Offline philt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2007, 03:28:13 PM »
Hi all.  I'm a newbie to this board but have been reading your posts for a few weeks.  Decided to take the plunge and make a contribution today.

I ruptured my quad tendon 10 weeks ago and had emergency surgery the next day.  Was then kept in a removable splint for the next 6 weeks before being allowed to do any sort of exercise.  PT started 4 weeks ago and initial flex was 40degs.  Now just over 90.  A few days ago my PT added one legged balance for 1 minute and one legged calf raises (30) 4x per day to the static knee bends, hamstring curls and quad contractions she's had me doing.  Talk about a reminder to unused muscles!  Seem to be making progress daily but under instruction to wear the leg brace if I venture out and still have to wear the thing at night.  Have ditched the crutches for getting around the house but still need them outside.  PT won't allow me to drive until I can do stairs unaided (she wants to be sure I'm strong enough to brake in an emergency in the car) and that looks some weeks off yet.

This has to be the most frustrating injury I've ever had (knee still the size of a grapefruit) but I'm taking everyone's advice to take things slowly and steadily.  That said I've set myself a goal to be back skiing by the end of Jan (holiday booked prior to the accident) and that's what's keeping me going.  This board has been extremely helpful so far so thanks to all who've taken the time to post.  I'll let you know how I'm doing over the next few weeks.  PhilT 

Offline ppv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2007, 07:10:48 PM »
wow, I somehow missed this thread when I was going thru the diagnosis, but I am another ruptured quad tendon victim.  Injury happened on 2/26/2007, surgery on 3/13/2007.  The ER doc said it was a strained muscle, but it never got better.  I got in for surgery just after the 2-week window they like to operate in.

I don't recall the specifics, but I was out of work for 2 weeks, and I worked from home frequently in the 3 weeks following that.  I stopped using the crutches after about 4 weeks and started PT a little over a month post-op.  I think I stopped using the brace about 2.5 months out.  I'm now at a little over 4 months post-op.  Flexsion is very good.  I'd say I'm within 10-15 degrees of full ROM, although it's definitely passive and sometimes hurts quite a bit to get that far.  I was a little worried about the ROM because I had a couple of very, very sore days.  Most of the pain seems to be on the patellar tendon, rather than above the knee.  There is still a decent amount of swelling or something going on.  My knee definitely does not have the same shape as the other knee.  Day to day, things are good.  Going down stairs and hills are a bit of a challenge, but I don't need a handrail and I'm fine if I'm careful.  I don't think I'm walking with any noticable limp, but there are times when I am noticably cautious.

PT just gave me the OK to start going to the gym and using weights more aggressively.  I have been a bit lazy about the strength training side of PT.  My wife and I have 6-month old twins (they were 7 weeks old when the injury happened...) and after getting home, eating, spending time with them, getting them to bed, etc., PT is the last thing on my mind.  I know I need to start being more disciplined about it, since they will be more mobile soon and I want to continue to ski, hopefully this winter.

So that's my quick story.  Now that I found this thread and saw that its pretty active, I'll check back in the future.  Good luck, everyone!

Pete

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2007, 09:52:03 PM »
Wow , at least I know there's more people out there with this same kind of surgery.  Im now four weeks post op.  I started therapy one week ago, and flexion is at -4degrees and Rom is 50 degrees. My goal is to beat 50 by thursday at least 55 she said. I am getting a lot of pain in the patella tendon as well when I try to bend my knee and have some tightness that doesn't want to go away underneath the kneecap. I am pretty sure that is whats holding me back.  Thankfully this is my second knee surgery so I know a lot of the exercises already and can do them before I get there.  I am also supposed to be getting one of the estim units?? The things that shock you lol.  Hopefully that will help. I could never do a straight leg raise and my Vmo I guess is now working?? I don't know all the muscles lol. It hurts like heck when I try to lift it. The tightness in my tendon is calming down now but I do get spasms at night whcih are sometimes painful.  Well hope all is well thought I iwould give a little update:) 

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »
Hey folkes,

Its been abit of a crazy week for me at work. Its been about 3 weeks now that I have been back to work. My job is primarily behind a desk. Sitting is getting better , but I do find that I need to get up about every hour to stretch so i walk around and visit co workers as a break.  My PT is on vacation this week and I am working with another and this one is good, but after the second session  I can tell he is being overly cautious  and not pushing me. Today I am going to ask for more because I need to continue to progress...I have til next thursday to get to 110 degrees and right now I am just over 90.......

I am completely relieved offof the brace and crutches...I may use a cane right after therapy because of how sore I am or when out in crowded public areas..... sleleping is getting better but still use a pillow between my legs as cushion and it feels so good to sleep on my side......

Offline ppv

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2007, 08:30:55 PM »
I am getting a lot of pain in the patella tendon as well when I try to bend my knee and have some tightness that doesn't want to go away underneath the kneecap. I am pretty sure that is whats holding me back. 
my PT said the patellar tendon pain is normal.  Since you've been immobilized for so long, all the muscles in your leg are affected by it.  The tendons lose their elasticity when they're immobilized, so it will be some work to get it back to normal.  I thought it was weird, too, that all my pain was on the patellar tendon and not above the knee.  I'm 4+ months post-op and that's still where I feel any pain.

Offline philt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2007, 11:52:48 AM »
I got the same reply from my PT yesterday after experiencing the same patella pain. She then proceeded to make me suffer it further by introducing me to stairs and making me lead up with my bad leg!  Taking it one step at a time (literally), have done the stairs at home a few times in the last 24 hours (took a while to take the first step up - lack of confidence/brain forgotten what to do I think).  The pain in my patella tendon eases the more I do.  Can't say I'm about to run up the stairs any time soon though! 

PT also sat me on an exercise bike - I couldn't do one revolution of the pedals - not because of lack of strength, it's simply because my leg won't flex enough.  Have bought a second hand exercise bike on ebay this morning - PT wants me to use the pedals to stretch my quads and hamstrings.  Target is to get my leg over (!) by the next time I see her (10 days) and be confident going up and down stairs without support.  If I can do this she'll let me drive (yippee!). 

11 weeks out now from surgery and passive ROM has improved from 90 to 100 (110 - with pressure) in the last 8 days. Targetting 120 for my next PT session.  Take care all.

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2007, 05:27:45 PM »
At least Im not the only one being tortured lol.  Yeah that bike did me in as well. I can pull it up as for going down the tightness just puts me to a hault. Im hoping I will do better Tuesday.  I am almost five weeks post op at about 60 degrees rom .  So I guess thats pretty good.  After the messaging Thr I think made my patella tendon hurt but the next day not so much. I have tried to do steps up bad leg up first.  Its more of a confidence issue for me as well. I don't want my knee to sublux anymore, but I think with the tightness its pretty impossible lol.  Any ideas when this tightness will go away?? I keep bending and stretching doesnt want to budge.  Well take care everybody. 

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2007, 12:17:32 AM »
Wow...you guys are making great strides...I have hit a bump in the road at 10 weeks post-op and getting about 95 passive ROM and maybe 107 with alot of pressure. My OS feels that I am behind schedule so  I will have an MUA on Monday. I have heard from others that it will help and will feel somewhat of a setback, but after two weeks my ROM will be further along. I have endured like many of you the intense pain from the bending and pulling by my PT. Also a machine  I call the bone crusher. I have not enjoyed being strapped in and this machine lifts and bends....however i do understand the severity of my injury and that its battle beween the scar tissue and my tolerance for pain...I'll be back on track soon........

It seems like the patella pain is common. I just started that pain last week. I have also been able to endure sitting longer without wiggling around like a toddler...LOL....

Thanks for sharing your info...it will continue to help as we all get better

John

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2007, 02:23:05 AM »
Hey there! What's an MUA??? Muscles under anesthia??LOL   Hope whatever it is its not more surgery!   i am at 84 degrees. They took rom measurement yesterday.  avg 30 degrees a week so hopefully if i work hard by next week ill hit 120.  I see os next week. Pain in patella is weakening. Im on week 5 ;D  Feeling really good so im going back to work next week for 15 hours. Ive been applying for less strenuous retail.  So I have an interview for a bank coming up.  Hopefully Ill get something.  Good luck everyone.  Hope all is well!

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2007, 05:56:14 PM »
Cynthia,  Unfortunately I am not getting the ROM I should at 10 weeks post-op. I am about 95 passive and 107 with alot of help from my pt.  My OS feels that I might get stuck somewhere down the line and not gain full ROM. The procedure (mua) is manipulation under anesthesia. He will bend the leg and get thru all the scar tissue that because of pain I have not been able to do on my own in PT. 

support