Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473360 times)

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 32
    • Quadriceps Tendon Rupture Blog
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #885 on: November 29, 2013, 02:27:32 AM »
Thank you Stuart! That makes me feel better and more positive.

Thanks again and happy thxgiving!

Omar
Quad tendon rupture accident - Nov 7, 2013
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013
First Physical Therapy Session - Nov 29

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #886 on: November 29, 2013, 12:53:02 PM »
Hi Omar - really good to hear from you and I loved the staple picture.  That's exactly what mine looked like last time (not quite sure what suturing my OS used this time, but must be absorbable).

Don't worry about the straight leg raise not coming instantly.  Your quads muscles took a real pounding as well in the injury, and subsequently have been left to waste away, but even peg-legging it around in search of Thanksgiving turkey starts the process of rebuilding and then the focused stuff (press-downs, etc) will start to accelerate it.  In the last 2-3 days I have really felt the leg is getting stronger above the knee and throughout this episode, I have been very conscious I could swing my leg quite easily onto the couch/sofa/bed to the right, but not to the left.  Well, that's just coming back now, and similarly I can get a few cm up with straight leg raise without too much bother.  But I would have bet against that a week ago.  And while spectacularly unfit in so many ways, the one thing I did a lot this year was cycle, so the one set of strong muscles I have at my disposal are (were!) the quads.

I feel for you on the Thanksgiving front.  I smashed my right wrist just before Christmas a few years ago.  With magnificent timing, I had earlier insisted we have both sets of parents for a big Christmas lunch and underwrote the cooking.  With breezy assurance, I might add.  Anyway, giving your family a spreadsheet with minute by minute instructions isn't the kind of gift that goes down that well, even if it was grudgingly accepted and adhered to.  All of which makes me wonder whether we should gently encourage the formation of "Quads Tendon Rupture spouses" as a discussion board somewhere?  To let off steam, you understand...
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #887 on: November 29, 2013, 02:23:24 PM »
SE27. Congrats on making it into the bath. Luxury! I feel for you and Omar with regard to your spouses. Mine had to get up at 4.45 to drive me in to work , then brave rush hour traffic, both ways, to pick me up after, an hour each way! After two weeks I said " The hell with it !" Took her car, an automatic, and drove myself. They do have to put up with a lot.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #888 on: November 29, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
Thank you SE27 and Stuart! I feel more positive today. I was a bit concerned of not being able to do some of these exercises or lift my leg, since oday marks the second week after my surgery.

On the other hand, I got up very early today with good energy; ready to go to the PT.

Thank you again!

Hope you all have a great weekend!!!

Omar
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #889 on: November 29, 2013, 05:00:18 PM »
Omar. You and I are both fortunate to have started our PT at two weeks. I have to admit I was terrified initially at what I was being asked to do, but remember these people are Professionals and have dealt with these injuries before. They won't ask you to do anything that might harm you. Have Faith and persevere!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #890 on: November 29, 2013, 11:07:49 PM »
Stuart, you are absolutely correct.

Well, as you know, today was my first physical therapy session and it went very well. With the help of the physical therapist I was able to bend my knee 25 degrees. The goal is to be able to bend it to 90 degrees by January 9th. It will be a lot of work, but I am staying positive. You guys are giving me a lot of moral support and I thank you greatly!!

There are 4 exercises that I will be performing during the next couple of weeks:

Exercise 1: Quad strengthening by tightening (squeezing) the muscle and holding it for 10 seconds. Ten times per set and three times a day.

http://quadtendonrupture.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/e11.png

I continue to be very weak and definitely do not have a lot of control over the muscle, since my gluts tend to do the work instead of my quads.

Exercise 2: Leg raise. Tighten muscles on front of the thigh, then lifting the leg 12 inches from the bed or floor, keeping the knee locked (wearing the brace). Ten times per set and two to three times per day.

http://quadtendonrupture.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/e21.png

I am definitely not able to lift my leg without assistance from the physical therapist or from my wife (at home). Hopefully, I can do this a bit better by the end of next week. I am keeping positive that I will improve.

Exercise 3: Self-mobilization of the knee. Sliding the left heel towards my butt to bend the knee.

http://quadtendonrupture.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/e31.png

I am still not able to do this exercise by myself. I was able to bend my knee 25 degrees with the assistance of the physical therapist.

Exercise 4: Ankle pump to promote circulation.

http://quadtendonrupture.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/e41.png

I know that it is only the first physical therapy session and I will need to be patient. I am striving to perform a lot better by the end of next week.
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #891 on: November 29, 2013, 11:16:06 PM »
Great stuff, Omar - I am playing along at home with you (unofficially, since I am only meant to be getting to the passive moment bit in a few days' time).  Leg definitely feeling inspired and stronger by your go-get-'em North American PT habits over there.  And the more I think about it after our exchange first thing, it really has perked up in the last 24-36 hours.  Keep the faith! 
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #892 on: November 30, 2013, 12:28:52 AM »
Great to hear SE27!!! Hope you also benefit from my notes and also wishing you a speedy recovery!

Have a nice weekend!

Omar
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #893 on: December 02, 2013, 02:21:41 AM »
Omar. Did you watch the Hockey game today? Hope the result didn't set you back!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #894 on: December 02, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »
Good morning folks,

nice positivity we have at the moment!!

Tomorrow morning I am back in to theatre, best case scenario I have a MUA, the scar fibres are broken and I wake up with no new staples in my leg and strapped into a CPM. worst case is my lovely OS re-opens my knee and slices about a bit and removes said fibres.

It will be interesting to see what PT I do following this procedure compared to the delay in receiving PT I had before.

The bonus this year, no ladder climbing to put up xmas lights, no cooking xmas dinner, and no having to prepare for a party at the house for folks we do business with, we will see how long I can get away with things!!!

TTFN
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #895 on: December 02, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »
Quite right, Frank, there's a great atmosphere on the board at the moment.  I've been thinking about you.  Hope you have a really successful op tomorrow.

I had foot surgery this time last year and was waited on hand and foot by my family over Christmas.  Make the most of it!

Best wishes,

Sella
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #896 on: December 03, 2013, 12:27:09 AM »
Omar is ignoring me (Vancouver won, for a change!) best of luck tomorrow Frank.
 Nobody on the RPT thread seems to mention balance exercises at PT. What is the experience here? Mine started with them almost at my first visit. Is it my senior status that makes him want to avoid a repeat?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #897 on: December 03, 2013, 03:19:02 AM »
Hi Frank,

Best of luck in your procedure tomorrow! Hoping for the best. Please take care and stay positive!

You had a good observation about the Continuous passive motion (CPM) machine. I just found out about what it is and for some reason my doctor didn't prescribed or offered. It looks like a very interesting machine and good for therapy. I am a bit concerned since I still cannot bend my knee more than 25 degrees.

Hi Stuart,

Sorry, I was not ignoring you. 
Yes indeed!!! a 3-2 victory against my home team (Carolina Hurricanes) ...
Ryan Kesler scored twice! that's a miracle (kidding) ;-)

The Hurricanes this year are doing horrible, so it was an easy win ;-)

Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #898 on: December 03, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
Well what a waste of bl**dy time that was, up at 6am, to be in for 8am, starved and thirsty, having been barred from my morning medicine of my Yorkshire Gold Tea, so Im gowned up, big marker pen splodge on my left shin explaining which was is up, about to be wheeled off to oblivion when in pops a registrar to tell me the op is cancelled as the CPM machine hasn't arrived but is still with the supplier!

No I didnt explode.

I gathered up my belongings and went limping home.

Someone told my surgeon the machine was in the hospital, I really dont want to be that person, apparently she hit the roof when she found out.

So I now await another letter in the post with a new appointment.

Happy days
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline santosomar

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #899 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »
Hi Frank!

WOW!! just WOW!!!
 :o
I am so sorry for that monumental waste of time. Sometimes make you wonder if some of these folks are "really professional".  One can only be patient :-/

God bless! Hang in there. This will be over soon!!

Best regards,
Omar
Surgery - Nov 15, 2013

support