Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 467557 times)

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #675 on: August 03, 2012, 11:06:58 PM »
Well I had the MUA yesterday and he was able to get me to 145deg without going in arthoscopicaly.  I went right over to rehab an hour later and they were able to get 135deg before the pain was too much to bear.  I was able to get on a stationary bike for 15 minutes too which was awesome.  When I went to get into my wifes car I steppped funny and my leg buckled and I ended up heel to butt causing extreme pain,  A couple ortho docs carried me back inside and examined me and it seems I didn't do any serious damage other than some muscle tearing.  I had a femoral block in at the time so my leg was like a wet noodle and just folded on me.  I was real worried that I had torn the tendon off again but it seems it held.  Swelling is out of control for now but I had another PT appointment this morning and the block was worn off and they were able to get me to 115 and I was able to get on the bike with a good amount of discomfort.  Right this very minute I am very sore but I need to keep things moving so I don't loose what we gained.  That is it for now, more updates to follow. Wish me luck...

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #676 on: August 07, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »
The post MUA/fall pain is going away and the swelling is better.  Been on the bike twice a day and also the same for the CPM making it to 120 every time.  My pain is mainly at the patella now.  PT 3 times a week with max ROM pushes waaay beyond my comfort zone but hey that is their job right?  I am starting to think that there IS a small light at the end of the tunnel... ;)

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #677 on: August 08, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »
Well I had my post MUA exam today with the OS and he took some x-rays to see how things looked and my patella is now fractured in half from the MUA.  I guess that explains the extra ROM I gained all at once.  I am headed back to the OR tomorrow AM to start over.  The OS isn't even sure what or how he can do to repair the carnage since he has never seen this happen.  My patella is beat up pretty badly and he may need to use donor tissue and bone at this point.  This is very devastating since I am at 11 weeks post op from my rupture.  I just can't believe this is happening.  Any prayers would be appreciated since I will need a ton of strenght to make it through this AGAIN... :(

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #678 on: August 08, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »
I for one will say a prayer for you - how often do I write PATIENCE is the keyword in the rehab procedure.

Go with the flow, and wish you a speedy recovery.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #679 on: August 09, 2012, 01:44:51 PM »
I for one will say a prayer for you - how often do I write PATIENCE is the keyword in the rehab procedure.

Go with the flow, and wish you a speedy recovery.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Thank you for the prayers.  Patience is one thing but when you make it 12 weeks only to find out you have to start over from the beginning is another...  I pray for the strength to bare this one.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:54:06 PM by reveille »

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #680 on: August 12, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
The surgery was completed (8-9) last Thursday as planned per my previous post.  This was the 3rd trip to the OR in 11 weeks I have endured.  I don't know how to feel anymore.  My patience has been pushed beyond anything reasonable.  Now I wait to see if this repair will hold.  The OS removed the fracture piece of patella and reattached the tendon to what was left of the patella.  He used a heavier gauge kevlar suture and used additional suture anchor points this go round.  My post op pain was just about the same as the first tendon repair 11 weeks ago.  The period after the nerve block wearing off and the pain getting managable seems to last around 18 hours and is beyond description...even with the perscribed pain meds onboard....my wife just locked me in the bedroom with the windows closed as not to alarm the nieghbors.  I am past that now and the pain is getting better.  I am just icing and elevating and praying for a miracle now.   

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #681 on: August 16, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
Had a 6 day post op exam yesterday and all is well so far.  Since I have a CPM at home the OS asked me to start using it up to 20deg to try and avoid scar tissue build up.  He told me that he removed an extreme amount of scar tissue from my knee that formed after my original repair.  That explains my lack of ROM.  Has anyone here used a CPM or passive therapy as soon as one week post op from a RQT?  I hope this gets me moving freely faster than the last goround.  So far the knee is moving freely with little pain.  Thanks again for all the support.

Jim

Offline ppotz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #682 on: August 16, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
Today is 81 days post-trauma and 79 days post-surgery.

At my 6-week post-op visit the OS set my brace at 50 degrees and told me to add 10 degrees every week - no PT - and to come back in 6 weeks with 110 degrees ROM.

With my 50 degrees of "freedom" I had enough maneuverability to be able to get behind the wheel and resumed driving.

I'm several weeks past my last use of a cane and can manage 4 flights of stairs at least once every couple of days. I'm fortunate in that I live quite close to where I work and have been able to walk to and from without difficulty.

But ... today ... I set up my bike on the trainer and managed for the first time since May to spin the pedals in full circles for 10 minutes.

I know that many weeks of PT lie ahead ... but those 10 minutes today have given me a very healthy dose of optimism.

Paul

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #683 on: August 22, 2012, 03:03:18 AM »
Hello again.  I am at 12 days post op from my repeat RQT repair.  This time around I am noticing some well how do I say this, amazing results already.  So today I was finishing a 90 minute session in the CPM when just for giggles I tried to do a straight leg raise, and to my surprise my leg lifted with ease and no pain either.  When I had my original repair I couldn't do a straight leg lift until around 7 weeks.  I get the staples out in 7 days and I plan to have a long talk with the OS to get a game plan that fits.  So far he has me using the CPM up to 35 degrees which feels great and no pain, just some pinching from the staples as to be expected.  The OS is hoping that using the CPM will reduce the scar tissue build up that derailed me last time around.  I can't help but wonder how this is happening and I pray good things continue.

Jim

ppotz(Paul)  Glad to hear your recovery is going well and I hope you have a speedy recovery.  Getting back to work is great and it is killing me that I was merely a couple days away from getting back when the old patella gave loose.  4 months off work is causing all sorts of problems but I will make it back when I can.

Offline reveille

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #684 on: September 01, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
Staples came out last Tuesday and the OS instructed me to increase the CPM 5 degrees every 2 days with a goal of 90 degrees by 6 weeks.  I am currently (3 weeks post op) at 52 degrees today with no pain and very little swelling.  Hopefully things continue to progress smoothly. 

Offline JaxBill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #685 on: September 03, 2012, 09:12:14 PM »
First off, I'd like to thank everyone for providing a wealth of information out there.  A truly great site that has provided me insight and hope.

About myself - I'm a 46 yo computer programmer in Jacksonville, FL who worked out fairly often but still could use to drop 30 pounds.  End of July, I was zip-lining on a family outing in Daytona.  Long story short, I went into a tree platform too quickly and went knee first into a thinly padded tree.  Yes, think of the beginning of "George of the Jungle".  I was in incredible pain and the swelling was instantaneous.  I went to ER and they took x-rays and assured me nothing was broken.  Next Day (a Tuesday), called the orthopedic doctor and the first appt they had was Friday.  Doctor took one look at the cavity at the top of my knee and my inability to raise my leg and instantly made the diagnosis.  MRI showed no other damage but showed my lack of cartilage left in that knee.

Operation was the following Wed (8/8).  First 48 hours was terribly painful. I weaned myself off of painkillers rather quickly (8 or 9 days).  Staples were removed after 2 weeks.  I've been in an adjustable knee brace set at zero since the operation.  Tomorrow is 4 week (roughly) checkup.  Supposedly they will start gradually opening brace.  Hoping they start scheduling PT also.  Still using crutches but have been putting more weight on bad leg.  I have been sleeping/living in a recliner with pillow under leg.  Showers have involved a chair.  Doctor has given me exercises involving swinging leg in brace to side to strengthen atrophied quad.  Last week I have been allowed to do leg raises in brace.

Overall, things have gone well so far.  I'm lucky that I feel like I ended up with a very good surgeon.  (He is also the team ortho for the Jacksonville Jaguars). Also fortunate that my work allows me to dial in from home with remote desktop. I basically took 3 sick days for the operation. Also thankful that I have friends that picked me up and took me to our fantasy football (NFL) draft to break the monotony of daily TV/computer/reading.

Bad news is that it is my right leg so driving is still a loooong ways out.

Accident 7/30
Operation 8/8
Staples Out 8/22

Thanks
Bill

flyerbill*AT*yahoo*DOT*com

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #686 on: September 03, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »
Hi Bill

Welcome to the RQ tendon thread on KneeGuru -  I have sent you a set of documents which I have compiled over the years - read with care.

Suggest you read previous posts on this thread - ASK questions - lots of buddies out there to help you.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline zski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #687 on: September 04, 2012, 05:28:13 PM »
Hello all,
New poster - I'm a 42 year old active guy - skiing, biking, hiking, swimming. I nearly completely ruptured my left quadriceps tendon on 25 July, 2012. I landed oddly whilst jumping on a trampoline. I had surgery on 31 July, and I'm now 5 weeks postop. My ortho's regimen has me in a straight brace whilst weightbearing for another 3 weeks (8 weeks total), and I've been doing PT for 2 weeks now. ROM is about 40 degrees.

My goal is to most definitely get back to 100% of all activities I was doing before the injury, although I might avoid the trampoline...
Thanks for a very informative site.
Cheers.

Offline JaxBill

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #688 on: September 05, 2012, 01:03:03 AM »
Four week checkup went very well.  Doctor said I was ahead of schedule. I can do straight leg lifts. He was able to bend my knee to what he judged to 60 degrees without pain(which surprised me since I have really tried to keep my leg straight).  Going for first PT on Friday.  Next two weeks, PT is supposed to be 0-60 ROM and after that 0-90 ROM for 2 weeks.  He wants to see me in 3 weeks. I'm allowed to put full weight on it but use crutches when out of house.

Bad news is that he didn't open the brace at all because of the weight bearing.  And I still have to wear the brace while sleeping.

Good news is that in 3 weeks he hopes to open it to 90 degrees and possibly allow driving.

Overall, very positive and I'm thankful to see things progressing.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #689 on: September 05, 2012, 07:37:11 AM »
Hi Bill

A further tip is to sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees - takes the pain away from the injured knee.

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

support