Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 474391 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #645 on: December 23, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
WELL - DONE - there wasa a light at the end of the tunnel

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline DJThrash

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #646 on: January 03, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
OK - I'll join the discussion - esp since it somewhat differs from many experineces on here (per medical advice from my Ortho and PT).
I had left ruptured quad tendon, with menicus tear, and avulsion fracture (hairline) on the tibia.  Surgery was one week later and now it's 8 weeks after surgery. 
Focus is on letting internal repair heal, then gradual stretching and strengthening of muscles, and also stretching and strengthing those other muscles which weaken while healing (this includes hamstrings, butt muscles, IT band stretching, etc).
Week one - no bending of the knee, pain meds, ice on/off
Week two - 30 deg bending - walking with walker very slowly  - pain meds reduced - in home PT with home assessment of fall dangers  - 
week three 30 deg bending - in home PT showed me how to get in and out of bed and easy chair with crutch supporting the leg  -  showed me how to walk with crutch (using crutch on OPPOSITE side of the injured leg)
Week four - can bend to 45 degrees -  brace changed to limit to 40 degrees - PT 2x week outpatient - use brace at all times.
SHowed by myself about week 5 or 6
Week 5 - 7 PT twice a week - worked up to 100 degree bend with brace set at 90  - use brace at all times except in bed
( I don't get not using the brace - even in home if your knee is still compromised since a fall could land you back in the operating room).

Offline annep

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon Again
« Reply #647 on: January 15, 2012, 10:29:06 PM »
Hi ,

I posted a year ago after suffering a Ruptured Quads tendon. After 5 months I was back at work, able to get around ok although the knee ached a lot and was sometimes stiff.  I had got used to the problems and just adaped my life around it.
Unfortunatly 6 weeks ago I slipped on a loose sign in a car park and I knew instantly I had ruptured the same knee again.
I was operated on the next day , aparatly with an lace being sewn up through the tendon to make it strongre than the original sutures.
Have a real nastly scar with lumps and am just starting to ben the knee now.
Has anyone ellse suffered a " double " rupture? and what on earth would happen if i fell again?

Offline Barbarossa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #648 on: March 01, 2012, 10:00:21 AM »
Hi all, I ruptured my quadriceps tendon, slipping on ice at the start of Feb. Went to A&E, they kept me in and operated the next day. I was allowed home the day after the operation with my leg in a cast. The cars comes off next Tuesday (4 weeks after the op.), see what happens from there.
Sub-total quad. tendon rupture 5/2/12
Operated 6/2/12 with Mitek anchors

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #649 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »
Hi Paul

Welcome to the RQT thread -   I have sent you a set of documents, which will give you an idea of the rehab process - read with care, and read some of the previous posts.

A long rehab is required with plenty of physio.

Take care and keep posting

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Barbarossa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #650 on: March 06, 2012, 09:47:16 AM »
4 Weeks Post-op.

Cast came off this morning, and stitches out. There is a 4" scar that seems to be pretty well healed. I can extend the leg full and bend it to about 75degs.

Not a lot of advice from the doctor; take in easy for a month and I should be pretty much back to normal after 2 months :o. From what I have read, this sounds very optimistic! When I asked about the knee brace, he said that it wasn't really necessary but I could wear it if I felt more confident with it! A bit cavalier I thought.

First appointment with the physio is in a week's time. 'Till then, I'll start to follow the rehab programmes that John sent. The difference between these an my treatment is that they assume a splinted leg after the operation wheat I have been in plaster.

Paul

Offline Barbarossa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #651 on: March 16, 2012, 01:45:21 PM »
5 1/2 Weeks

Went to see the doctor in charge of the rehab clinic yesterday. Talked about the philosophy of the hostpital for tendon injuries. Their point of view is that whether you follow an agressive programme or whether you take a more conservative approach has little effect on the recovery time. Their approach is to only work on mobilisation for at least three months and to start working on strength after 3-4 months.

She repeated what the OS said: that the brace wasn't really nescesary and I should wear it only if it gave me confidence.

I flew for the first time last weekend. I was a bit worried about being comfortable but you only need about 30* of flexion to sit in a Ryanair seat - I'm about 5'11".

Offline Barbarossa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #652 on: March 28, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
7 Weeks

Started Phisio last week, scheduled for 2 x 1.5hr sessions per week for the next 8 weeks. Quite light at the moment, gait training, balance training, stretching, pedaling with no resistance etc.

Stopped using the brace and crutch last week. I am walking normally now and can manage a couple of kms with no problem. Climbing stairs is OK, but descending is a bit hesitant - seems to be more due to ankle flexibility than the knee.

Offline kimberly22ann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #653 on: April 16, 2012, 07:38:53 PM »
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me on this page.  I ruptured my quad Muscle around right in the middle of my thigh.  I have a huge lump and an indent due to this injury.  My problem is I did this 1 year ago.  I did not recieve surgery since the doctor said to try PT first.  I did this and it did help it but it is just nagging and aching after exercise.  It hurts and feels like it is going to tear when I kick or sprint.  I am active and this is really starting to affect what I can and cant do.  I went back to see my options and since it has been a year they said surgery is out.  Is this right?  They said It will always nag and I just have to keep up it's strength and flexibility to make sure it doesn't effect my knee.  Does anyone have any opinions on this?  I feel like after a year of the same nagging pain there must be something that can be done.  The lump is growing and I just feel desperate for someone to fix me.  How can a doctor say it is unfixable?  Also my other problem is the doctor I went to asked to see the old MRI.  He never took a new one he is just going off the old report.  Shouldnt he do new tests to determine what can be done now?

please any input would help,  I am very frustrated as I am unable to play soccer because I cannot run for a long period of time due to this.

Ruptured Quad 2011. 

Looking for advice on how to fix a year after injury?

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #654 on: April 17, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »
Hi

Don`t take no for an answer - it`s your knee - I think that you should seek out a third Orthopaedic Consultant, and work out from a NEW MRI scan.

Other than that, you will not have any long term use of your knee.

Keep trying

Take care

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Barbarossa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #655 on: April 27, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
Update - 12 Weeks

Not posted for a few weeks, so here's an update. Physio has been continuing. Over the past 5 weeks, I have achieved full ROM in the knee. Started driving again at 10 weeks. Day to day, I am able to carry on essentialy as I was pre-accident: walking 6+ km without problems, stairs OK, no serious aches unless I stay still for too long, but then 5 mins walking sorts things out.

Started cycling outside this week. I've managed 3 rides of 16km, 26 km and 16km. Appart from being dog slow, there weren't any problems with my knee. Going to put a lower bottom gear on my road bike though.

Saw the consulant today. She was really pleased with the progress, infact she has signed me off when the current physio sessions finish (2 more weeks). Advice is to be careful for at least another 3 months and not start running for another month.

All in all, really positive.

Offline devildog2006

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #656 on: May 08, 2012, 04:18:05 AM »
I ruptured my patella tendon completely and surrounding tissues with it folding back on itself, it was in surgery 2 days later and am now 5 weeks post op. I am prior military, but far from being in good shape currently at 30 and weighting 285lbs at 5'11. I have been out of the immobilizer for 2 weeks, wearing just a neoprene brace for caution. A few days ago I was able to start driving again, I have been doing 15 minutes on elliptical at gym and walking about a mile a day with no pain and little to no swelling. ROM is at 80-90 and I have no buckling in the knee even with light squatting. Is it unusual to be where I am right now? Reading other people's posts make me wonder, if the knee wasn't responding so well I wouldn't try this stuff...so am I being foolish?

Offline ppotz

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #657 on: June 01, 2012, 04:52:16 AM »
Sunday past, bottom of a short flight of stairs. My lower leg was moving forwards; my upper body lost a bit of balance backwards. There was a "pop" and I crumpled to the ground screaming in pain. Fortunately, the doc at the ER suspected a ruptured quad tendon and referred me to the OS the next morning. There was some bouncing between his clinic and the hospital for ultrasound ... but eventually agreed on surgery that (Monday) evening. Unfortunately, this being a small town (Cornwall, ON) there was only a single OR available and it was backed up with emergency colon surgery - so I had to come back the next morning.

Still and all, less than 48 hours from injury to surgery is not too bad. And as I write this 60 hours post-op I'm down to Tylenol for pain and Celebrex as an anti-inflammatory. I want to thank everyone who's been posting - your experiences and advice are invaluable and fill me with hope.

I'm 58 and try to ride 2500 to 3000 km per year ... and I'd just passed 1000 for this year. I've told my OS that my goal is to be back on the bike before the end of the year.

Paul

Offline justhooked01

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #658 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:31 AM »
Another newbie to the forum: A 51 year old 'hockey goalie' hoping to get back on the ice

Jan 7, 2012
Clean rupture of 'all' quad tendons from right knee.  I was down on the ice with both feet under my buttocks and a very large referee fell on my right thigh.  At first I thought that he had kicked me somehow since the pain was not really significant.  It did not turn black and blue at all and after 2 days of not being able to straighten my leg I went in for diagnosis; surgery followed 1 week later.

Weeks 1 and 2 - Spent the entire time in a an immobilizing brace, removing it only to ice the surgical area.

Week 3 - Received a ROM brace set at 30 deg. with instructions to lock it out when walking and release it when sitting for more comfort.

Week 4 - 11 - Physical therapy 2x per week with 145 degrees of flex by week 6.  Both the doc and PT were happy, but regaining strength has been a lot slower.  The PT actually struggled for things to challenge me weeks 10 and 11 because I had finished the 16 week protocol at 10 weeks.  The PT put me on a plyometrics program which I do 2-3 times per week.

- I'm now coming up to 5 months post surgery and am skating again, albeit rather clumsily.  Nonetheless, I'm able to easily skate for an hour at a good pace.
- After a 1/2 mile walking warm-up I can do something that looks like running. I do 200 yards running and then 100 yards walking for a mile.
- I've taken to mowing the yard by hand and do a 'hilly' acre in about 2 1/2 hours, but it feels better than riding on a lawn tractor.

My biggest concern is what I perceive to be a lack of strength and endurance in the knee.  Quite honestly, the lack of symmetry between the two legs is starting to bother me.  Any thoughts on the following would be greatly appreciated.
- The muscle atrophy is still very visible and I'm wondering what I can do to safely build up more muscle mass.
- Is running at 5 months expected or am I pushing it?
- Should I be focusing more on weight training instead of endurance?
- The doctor said I can begin playing hockey again, does this seem reasonable?

Thank you to all who have posted on this website, it's helped me gain some perspective on what the next year might be like.

Don

Offline Barbarossa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #659 on: June 10, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »
4 Months Update

4 months since the injury and surgey. Day to day I don't notice it.

I've been cycling for 6 weeks now, I have been quite cautious and started out by fitting a mountain bike cassette to my road bike, but now I've taken that off and am doing over 100km per week. Stil avoiding ride over 2hrs and no sprint intervals yet. Really pleased when I think back to mid March when I couldn't turn the pedals a complete revolution.

Started running 2 weeks ago. 3 x 5 minute runs in the first week, increased to 7.5 minutes this week. The knee is behaving itself.

Paul