Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 453230 times)

Offline Hop a Long

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #630 on: June 14, 2011, 03:26:33 AM »
Hi All, this is Ed:
update,  4 weeks post-op the knee immobilizer an I have become one, where I go, it goes. LOL. question for the geeks out there.  I've been cheating, I sleep with out the brace at night and put a pillow between my legs, which helps alot. I can stand and walk a few steps stiff legged without the brace. I noticed that I have some range of motion, well to a point. I stop bending the knee when it begains to hurt.  I hope i'm not blowing this surgery by doing this! I use one crutch now most often.  OK, I can put some weight on it, but once in a while I feel that instablility in the knee, or at least it feels unstable,have not fallen yet. I do wear the brace to walk, and the crutch on long walks to the next room. I got the staples out last week and the incision is healing fine.  Its is summer here and the brace feels like a sauna suit. I do notice that when I have a bend in my knee for a while it begains to ache, and when I wake in the AM, I really need to take the Pain Meds before I get up and move around. This all for now I will check back soon.
Hop a Long

Offline YogaSkier

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #631 on: June 14, 2011, 05:34:37 AM »
Hop a Long-- I would check with your PT or OS regarding sleeping without the brace. I believe it was around the 3-4 week range that I stopped wearing it while sleeping with my OS' approval.

My knee reacts the same way when it is bent for any prolonged time and I'm 7 weeks post-op. The aching increases quickly into some no nonsense pain. I'm up to 97 degrees...woohoo!  :P My OS has asked me to put all PT and home exercises on hold because my knee has been red, hot and swollen for the last few days. We're hoping it's due to inflammation due to increased activity and not infection. I'm pretty worried at this point and wonder if I will ever be able to do the outdoor activities that I love so much. It's frustrating not be able to do anything right now to be moving in the right direction and even more frustrating to not know what the outcome will be.  :(

Offline Hop a Long

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #632 on: June 14, 2011, 08:41:02 PM »
Thanks YogaSkier
I don't think I have any infection set up yet, i've been taking my time and not pushing it too much.  As long as I stay in the brace I'm fine, and as long as I don't walk on it too much, the knee does pretty good.  I guess I'm lucky haven't had any infections, and the suture line is healing well, 4 weeks post-op and staples removed 11 days ago. I will check with the OS about the sleeping without the brace, but it feels soo good to get that thing off for a while, LOL, as long as the house is not on fire in the middle of the night. I will check back later.
Hop a Long

Offline kw210

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #633 on: June 24, 2011, 04:12:20 PM »
Hello everyone;Update on my progress,It's now June 24 and I am in my 12th week of recovery.Now in a hinged brace set at 90,and will be setting it at 105 in the next few days,walking without the brace in the house and on the back deck.I am able to do my chores around the property(cut grass etc.)much to my wifes releaf and generaly in good spirits as far as my progress.Still have my limits,(the knee lets me know it's had enough)and I just rest for an hour or so.My dr.gave me the choice as to how far I can push my leg so I work away until the pain gets to much,generaly about 4 hrs then rest,then a few more hrs and call it a day.As far as pain relief,I take 5 gluglosimine pills in the morning and 2 tylinal arthrytis in the afternoon.Doing stretching excercises every morning.Not able to go up or down stairs normaly yet but it will come,hoping for return to work end of july or early aug.that keeps me motivated to keep pushing alittle harder each day.Not much else to report.To all those who are in the beginning of this journey I can tell you that I was there too,I am 57 in 2 days and never missed a days work due to injury or illness in almost 40yrs,only seen my dr when had to for my licence and to be told not to do anything for 4-8 months is overwhelming to say the least.Not to mention the financial burden that I dumped on my wife along with looking after my needs,I'm not ashamed to say it was the worst blow to my pride that I ever had to deal with.In the end I think thats what motivated me the most to recover as fast as possible.EVERY BIG JOB IS A COMBINATION OF SMALLER JOBS!NEVER GIVE UP!!!PICK A GOAL THAT'S DOABLE THEN PICK ONE THAT'S JUST BEYOND IT,THAT'S YOUR GOAL!!!That's my update for now.Hoping someone got something possitive from my story.Happy Healing.John

Offline Ian B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #634 on: June 27, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
Hop A Long

I slept without the brace and went without the brace from fairly early on.  My injury was in Sept 2009.  You can see my earlier posts.

I was putting weight on the leg from the first few days.  In the bath (with no brace) I would bend the leg until I could feel it pull.

I was very careful, but around home I would walk without the brace.

Crutches were gone after 10 days.  Brace was gone after 6 weeks.  You just need to be very careful.

It is better to go back and look at my earlier posts, as my memory is not that good.  I was very lucky, but I figured from the start, as long as the knee did not bend, it would be tough to re-injure.  I am basically 100% now and have been for most of the last year.

Ian

Offline Ben_Hogg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #635 on: July 05, 2011, 12:22:13 PM »
Hi All

ruptured my patella tendon in right knee in December, surgery and recovery went well, but still had pain.  Then had arthroscopy on same knee to tidy up, and MRI on left.  Been told today that I have a "sick patella tendon" in left knee and require "extensive physiotherapy".  Has anyone else been diagnosed with a sick patella tendon or explain what I should expect from extensive physiotherapy (surgeon said on a 0-10 scale it would be a 7, but have no idea on how many sessions and how long this would go on for).

Private medical insurance covered the ops, but not the physio, have been seeing a pilates physio for recovery from previous op.

many thanks

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #636 on: July 05, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
Hi Ben Hogg

You have posted on the wrong thread -

If you have sustained a Ruptured Patella Tendon, go to ....

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.new;topicseen#new

Very important to read all previous posts on that thread - ask questions - very important.

I have sent you in a separate e-mail a collection of documents which cover the rehab procedure - read with care.

How did you sustain your injury?

Where do you live?

Take care

JohnK/Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Hop a Long

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #637 on: July 09, 2011, 04:21:24 PM »
Hi all, this is ED (Hop a Long) with an update on Ruptured left Quad Tendon
On 7-12-11 I will be two months Post-Op.  Still go from crutch to cane depending on how my other "bad" leg feels (old previously injured right leg), the injured left knee seems to progress fairly well. It aches at time in the bent position, like when in seated positon. Some days it is not so bad , other days it just aches.  Still take pain meds, and in second week of Physical Therapy.  Seems like I can walk without the cane /crutch, but still have the feeling that it will give out, when it wabbles if I don't concentrate on keeping it straight, like a flash back to the day I injured it. Being that both legs are bad now, I worry that if I were to fall I would not be able to get up, almost fell a couple of times. guess I'll have to deal with that fear when I get to it.  Left thigh is still tight, some days I progress then other days I go backward, I assume that is part of the wealing process. Injured 5-4-11, surgical repair 5-12-11,
started PT 6-30-11.
Hop a Long

Offline patrickmccowie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #638 on: September 14, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
Hello all fellow quad rippers!!

What a superb forum for getting information and advice about this nasty injury.

heres my story so far.

I tripped over a cafe chair (my fault entirely) and had a complete rupture of my right Quad tendon. I was whisked away by ambulance to Wansbeck General Hospital in Northumberland UK where they A&E consultant immediately diagnosed the quad rupture. The booked me in there and then and I had surgery to repair the tendon within 24 hours of my accident. I hear this can be good news as early intervention and repair can sometimes lead to a more positive outcome. Straigt out of surgery the pain was excruciating, pain killers, morphine, codiene, tramadol i had them all but they still only took the edge off the pain. I had a fixed velcro brace for 2 weeks with my leg lifted and no weight bearing. Went back to see my surgeon after 2 weeks and he was so pleased with my progress that he put me straight into the brace with the vairable knee movement set at 30 degrees. I am now 3 weeks post op today. I have binned the crutches, now using a stick but only when I go out. I dont have any pain to speak of just a stiffness when ive been up and about too long.

I have full strength in my foot and lower leg. The Physiotherapist doesnt advise me to drive but ive had a go already and it feels just normal. I need to drive my car for work, just started new job 10 weeks ago so I need to be back in the car asap. Does anyone have any advice or information about driving with this variable leg brace. I can move my leg and feet without a problem, I seem to have full strength for the brake pedal so no problem there.

I hope to be out of this brace within the next 5 to 7 weeks. I have been continually flexing my quads, once it was not painful to do, and seem to have maintained reasonable strength in my thigh that way. I will not do anything to compromise the healing of this critical tendon, but surely a positive approach with common sense can be acceptable.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #639 on: September 14, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
Hi Patrick

Welcome to this exclusive club for RQT injuries.

Do not drive until your OS gives you clearance, otherwise, you may have problems with your car insurance Company.

As and when you commence driving, place the seat as far back as possible - this will be more comfortable.

Suggest that you may apply for a car disability badge for short term use - make life a lot easier.

I am going to send you a collection of documents which covers the rehab process - the documents cover A Ruptured Patella Tendon, but the rehab is similar.

PATIENCE is the keyword - important to ask questions - many buddies in this thread to help you

JohnK/Manchester UK
[email protected]

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline martdog9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #640 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:29 AM »
Hi all

I ruptured my right quad in a fall while camping interstate just over 3 weeks ago. Had surgery the next day and then flew back home (somewhat painfully!) a week later. The Orthopaedic Surgeon (OS) had me putting full weight on the leg (in a brace) from the day after the operation and now I can get around the house reasonably well without crutches and only use them when outside.

My new OS adjusted my brace to allow 30 degrees movement and referred me to a Physio but with scant advice on rehab. The physio says he's never treated this type of injury before and has no "protocol' to follow. I'm looking for reassurance that the initial exercise he has advised (contracting the quad) is appropriate at this stage. My initial searches on the net seem to suggest that no stress on the repair is indicated for 6 weeks or so. Any thoughts or advice would be warmly welcomed.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:26:01 AM by martdog9 »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #641 on: September 17, 2011, 07:55:26 AM »
Hi Steve

Having read your post on this thread, it is not unusual for a PT not having dealt with this type of serious injury.

I have e-mailed you a set of documents, which will give you guidence of the rehab process.

Be free to ask questions, keep posting, and ask questions.

Lots of buddies on this thread to help you.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline z06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #642 on: September 18, 2011, 01:54:25 AM »
It's been 3 years, 9 months & 13 days since I ruptured both quad tendons. Does the pain ever go away? I'm 57 now & things are getting worse. Can this cause arthritis because my knees are staring to seize up.

Offline bill.cochrane

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #643 on: December 09, 2011, 10:14:32 PM »
Hi all,
it`s been 4 years since my complete left quad tendon rupture and I am amazed and dismayed at how this thread has grown. Dismayed only in the number of new posters we have. I am sorry for your injury but I thought I would post just to let you know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I ruptured my quad parachuting in the Army I was jumping again after 7 months and running at the gym after about 3.I have continued my Military jumping and skydiving careers and still run 3,4 times a week. I am 57 this year. With hard work it is possible to put this injury behind you and pick up your life where you left it following your injury.
Good luck to you all.

Regards
Bill

Offline ufcike

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #644 on: December 23, 2011, 05:01:05 PM »
  Hey everyone. Its been three years since I ripped both my quad tendons clean off my knees at the same time. Yep I am that really rare bi lateral club.  Just like Bill I am running 4 days a week, rollerblading and biking.  100 percent recovered and the legs are the best they have ever been.

My theory is I don't do anymore ballistic sports or side to side motions. No volleyball, softball, raquetball ect ect.  What I do is bike, run, swim, kayak, weightlift, rollerblade and walk.

That is plenty of stuff to keep me busy. I am 43 years old. When that accident first happened to me, I thought I would never walk again normal.

It gets better.  Remember the whole recover and you go on in life is 90 percent between you ears! 

Merry Christmas everyone and God Bless all those wonderful  OS's out there that gave us our quality of life back!

support