Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 477888 times)

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #555 on: August 31, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
Wires are also used to protect a surgery on an already fragile knee....
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline baloffski

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #556 on: August 31, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »
Greetings from another Ruptured Quad Tendon Sufferer based in Liverpool.

I fell about three feet on 7 Aug this year and landed awkwardly. I don't remember what happened as the fall was so quick but I know it hurt and my left leg was just useless and extremely painful.

I was diagnosed that night and had the repair done on the 9th. When I woke up the surgeon told me that I had suffered a complete QT rupture and to use his words 'the only thing attaching the top and bottom halves of my leg were a few arteries and a bit of flesh!

I am ex military and former rugby player, so I am known to have a very high pain threshold compared to most, but I could have seriously wept that first night. As a general rule I do not take painkillers but in the wee small hours of that first night I gladly accepted everything that the medics would give me.

And now this is where my story seems to differ from the ones I have read so far here:

For the next 24 hours my leg was totally immobilised until my next visit by the surgeon where he explained that as he had managed to get 90 degrees ROM out of my repaired knee on the table, that I was to be fitted with a brace which wouldn’t allow any more than 90 and was to get it moving as much as I could stand.

He explained that he was a firm believer in the quicker people are moving after the operation the quicker their rehab was, BUT I was to listen to what my knee was telling me and if it felt like too much to stop.

The Physio who was also there at the time suggested a CPM machine and one duly appeared. Essentially, they strap your leg into a machine which then gently bends your leg to a preset limit at a set rate – you have no input. Unfortunately the swelling had made my skin so tight that it was in danger of damaging the operation wound so they reduced the ROM to 70 degrees. As soon as I learned not to try and fight the machine and accepted that the pain was manageable, I found it quite relaxing and I did three two hour sessions!

Day three and the Physio came back to get me up onto crutches and assessed my ROM, which unfortunately was still no more than about 70 at the most rather than the 90 everyone was hoping for. The surgeon also came, assessed me and said that home was the best place for me. I wholeheartedly agreed!

Three weeks in nowI have still not managed a full 90 degrees yet because my knee just seems to set into a mechanical ‘lock’ at 80 ish degrees. I have seen both the Physio and the surgeon both of whom are pleased with my progress so far, but have warned that while I have made excellent progress so far, things will get a lot tougher and it is a long drawn out process. I was initially disheartened that I had not managed 90 but now having read some of your stories of total immobilisation at 4 weeks, I think I may be getting a little bit harsh on myself. The biggest frustration is not being able to work or even drive to work. I have been doing some work from home though but it isn’t the same.

I see every day as a challenge to overcome, however it would appear my biggest hurdles at the moment are psychological. I am fairly steady on my feet, as with the brace and crutches I am fully weight bearing on my duff leg but I get quite panicky if anyone comes near or anything slightly out of the ordinary happens which could cause me to stumble etc. My knee has locked up quite tightly once or twice; and it also unlocks/gives way once or twice a day when I am stood up and that panics me a lot, to the extent I have to sit down and calm down as soon as practicable. Time is the greatest healer though I guess, and judging by your stories here I have to learn some patience!

It has been great sharing your stories and I hope you don’t mind me sharing mine.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #557 on: August 31, 2010, 05:39:05 PM »
Hi Baloffski

I have sent you three documents which will give you an idea of the rehab procedure - read with care - don`t push it - listen to your knee .

Be free to ask any questions - we are here to help you.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline garyrmellor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #558 on: August 31, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »
Thanks for your support and your observations folks.  I think it's progressing well - I'm cycling again and I am back out hiking although the leg does obviously get tired after a long day.  A good way to describe where I'm up to would be to take the example of going up and down stairs:

On the upward trip I'm walking up without needing to hang onto the bannister rail but, when it comes to pushing off with the injured leg I have to do it quite slow and deliberately.  On the way down, again I don't need the bannister but it's a sort of "step down with the good leg forward followed by more of a 'clump' down on the injured leg" style motion although the knee is quite happy taking the weight.

Apart from that I'm getting to the gym as often as possible (2 / 3 times per week) and in the last two weeks or so I've had enough confidence to change the treadmill speed over from a walk to a slow jog for two or three periods of a minute at a time.  Elegant it ain't but the leg seems quite happy with it.

I think my worries come from is just the lack of consistency in the information I've been able to find on the web about QTR.  It sometimes seems that for every surgeon who's posted an article about the injury on the web there's a different opinion about how to treat it.

Gary

Offline Fibro-quad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #559 on: September 02, 2010, 06:07:55 AM »
Less Than Zero

Unfortunately, my progress is less than zero.  Three months after my second repair due to my quad tendon ripping again under MUA, I am stuck at 40 deg flexion.  My OS has given up.  This is only the second QTR he has ever seen and never with the complication of arthrofibrosis.  My joint cartilage and ligaments are all fine, but there is so much crazy scar tissue gumming up the works that nothing moves.  After 3 months of PT 3 times a week, swimming in the aqua therapy pool and working hard at home, nothing seems to be progressing.  My last visit to the OS consisted of each of us revealing to the other that we wanted someone else to get involved.   So, I am off to the Steadman-Hawkins clinic in Vail, CO after Labor Day to see Dr. Millett.  I found several success stories on the arthrofibrosis thread.  Millett was associated with a majority of the successes, so I am hoping he will be able to salvage enough from my condition to allow me to hike and ride a bike again.  I'm bummed that this will probably mean more blade work and starting over AGAIN.  Hopefully this time we won't have to hack the tendon and can go directly to getting all the hardware stretching and recovering some muscle mass to my thigh.  My left leg STILL looks like a twig stuck through a grapefruit.  Had a follow-up MRI.  It shows everything in the right place and no damage to miniscus or articular cartilage, ligaments or other tendons.  Ironically, I have a very good knee joint.  MRI also confirmed the withering of my quadriceps muscles that is so obvious from the outside.  Without ROM, there is no way to stretch these muscles.  They have been out of work since Christmas! 

I've read some great success stories involving Millett and Steadman-Hawkins Clinic on this forum.  Hope I get to add to the list.

Colin

Offline garyrmellor

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
WOW Colin - I don't honestly know what I can say about that one that could be of the slightest use to you.  Just don't give in to it - I'm rooting for you and I'm sure everyone else whose read your post is too.

Gary

Offline readinggal

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #561 on: September 12, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
update
feel sooooo good i can now drive again - freedom---bit difficult getting in and out the car - but no problems with the pedals - 4 months since my fall - the hydrotherapy certainly helped - knee still very big compared to good knee but they say that scar tissue is the cause for this. looking forward to going back to work -approx 2 weeks time only real issue being that leg occassionally gives way so i still use 1 crutch
Ruptured quadricep tendons - accident 20-05-10
Repair tendon mechanism operation 29-05-10
was signed off work for 6mths---really didn't think id walk again - now almost 16 mths later i am approx. 85% back to 'normal' and thinks this is how its gonna be from now on....

Offline readinggal

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #562 on: September 16, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »
following on from my previos post I have just been signed off work for a further month - this was a shock that the dr did this because of progress made but he said I need to finish the hydrotherapy course first as my knee still looks big and still quite stiff also my ankle joints have gone all lumpy on my bad leg and slightly painful good leg - he says both problems caused by walking differently than I used to.

looks like I wont be back to work till November now as he reckons 6 months is a reasonable absence for recovery
Ruptured quadricep tendons - accident 20-05-10
Repair tendon mechanism operation 29-05-10
was signed off work for 6mths---really didn't think id walk again - now almost 16 mths later i am approx. 85% back to 'normal' and thinks this is how its gonna be from now on....

Offline Impatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #563 on: September 16, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
What is the difference between a ruptured quadricep tendon and a ruptured patellar tendon? Is the rehab for these injuries similar? 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #564 on: September 16, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
The rehab procedure is similar for a Ruptured Quadricep tendon or a Ruptured patella tendon - but the qudricep tendon tends to heal somewhat quicker.   Either or, patience is required and it`s going to take quite a few months to get somewhat fit.

I have three documents, which cover the rehab of the Patella tendon, if you would like to read them,please do let me know.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #565 on: September 17, 2010, 12:45:39 PM »
They are actually the same thing. When the quad part is involved more than the patellar part they refer to it differently. It's actually the same tendon...
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline Impatient

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #566 on: September 18, 2010, 02:49:44 AM »
John42,

That would be great of you if you could email me those articles.  Thanks again!!!

[email protected]

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #567 on: September 18, 2010, 07:33:47 AM »
Hi

Documents sent to you - , however just to clarify, the Quadricep tendon is above the kneecap (Patella) and the Patella tendon is the tendon which is below the kneecap (Patella).

Read up on the RPT thread.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline steveuk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #568 on: September 28, 2010, 04:20:29 PM »
Hi. You are lucky that you are recovering so quickly but don't expect too much too soon.

I completely snapped my Quad tendon following a fall on holiday in France on 4th July. At the French hospital I was x-rayed which only confirmed that the bone wasn't fractured, told that I had probably just badly sprained my knee and sent away with a back slab fitted and instructions to see my GP on my return to the UK. I was repatriated on 7th, referred to a Consultant on 12th and finally operated on almost 2 weeks after my accident on 16th when a repair on a completely broken Quad tendon was carried out in an extended operation due to the fusing together of the broken tendon and dislodged patella. I spent 3 days in hospital then 6 weeks in a full cast and 2 weeks in a hinged cast set at 50 degrees. I am now under the PT and can just about get 75 degrees of movement but am still in a lot of pain and still need to use a crutch as the knee does have a tendency to give way occasionally. I am told that it could be another 12 weeks of painful PT until I can expect near normal movement which will be 6 months after my accident.

Good luck with your recovery, it is a slow and painful process.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #569 on: September 28, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »
Hi Steve

Welcome to the RQT thread.   As you are aware, you have sustained a very serious injury, and it`s going to take some time to recover.

I have sent you two documents which will give you an idea of the rehab procedure.

Read as many of the previous posts on this thread - keep posting your progress, and keep asking questions.  Lots of buddies out here to help you.

Take care#

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon