Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 467570 times)

Offline walaxref

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #480 on: May 10, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
Weight bearing with/ brace within week is what he said.  I thought this was a little agressive..  Wanted me to be one crutching it by today or tomorrow (maybe tomorrow but it ain't happening today). 

I am in Everett WA.  Injured demonstrating how to pick up loose balls for my youth lacrosse team. Wet grass field slip painful audible pop and I was on the ground not able to get up.. 

I noticed yesterday that I have spasms so bad that my leg shakes and my foot looks like a windshield wiper.   Normal?? 

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 217
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #481 on: May 10, 2010, 10:33:28 PM »
Hi Stan

The only comment I can make at this stage - listen to your knee, but in no way can you go down to one crutch within days, unless you are one in a thousand.  The tendon has to heal, which normally takes up to 6/10 weeks.

For goodness sake, you dont want it to reerupture.....

Take care, once again, listen to your knee.

Best wishes

John
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #482 on: May 11, 2010, 02:34:50 AM »
Spasms....very normal....I had them for several weeks....

Sue
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline Ian B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #483 on: May 11, 2010, 05:39:13 PM »
walaxref,

I am one of the exceptions.  See my earlier posts.  The night of my injury, I was helped to bed and managed to sleep for a few hours.  When I woke up in the morning, I had no idea what was wrong, but it was clear something was.  I found that if I kept the leg straight, (knee locked), I could bear weight and walk (hobble).  I actually managed to walk and drive myself to the hospital.  2 days later when I went through surgery, the surgeon was surprised because I had a total detachment- he could not explain how I managed to walk.

The only brace I used was a Zimmerman (I think).  I actually added some additional stiffening to it.  Within a few days, I found the crutches to be more risk than help.  When I was outside, I always took the crutches, but indoors, very early on I was walking without crutches.  Crutches were gone after 2 weeks  I never went to the adjustable style brace.  I found that range of motion just gradually improved.  The brace was gone after 6 weeks and I had about 110 degrees ROM.  I cannot stress how careful I was once the brace was off.  Its now 8 months and I have 100%.  Once I was mobile with the brace.  Everybody is right, it is slow healing, and its going to hurt.  Some of my worst times were trying to sleep.

My best advice is, keep it in a stiff brace, and walk as much as the discomfort permits.  I found that even though the knee was immobilzed, most of the muscles in the leg kept pretty good by walking.  When the brace did come off, the rest of the leg was in pretty good shape.

Good luck!!

Offline walaxref

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #484 on: May 12, 2010, 01:52:49 AM »
Wow!! Ian  man among boys... 

I broke my leg (Theissman type injury- same cause and all) in 1986 and this pain is definitely very different.   Not as intense but more constant.
I am walking with some weight bearing today but crutches according to doc should be gone by this weekend..  I am not so sure about that. 

I took brace off today to redress the wound and it looks like someone cut a cantaloup in half and placed over my knee area.  It was huge..
I iced.  Bruising is pretty severe.. 

I know this is a process and I am very early in it.  Just want to make sure I am somewhat normal

Offline mistertonite

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #485 on: May 13, 2010, 01:38:17 AM »
Hello to all.  I am new to this board and very happy I found it.  I will be having surgery tomorrow to repair my left quad/patella tendon tear.  The injury occurred on May 2nd, 2010 playing baseball.  Another player collided with me and hit my knee full force.  The pain was intense.  I was able to walk and went straight to the emergency room.  The diagnosis was first a fractured patella.  After an MRI, they also found the tear.  Not sure if it was a complete tear, but I cannot do a straight leg lift when lying down.  I will be reading all the previous threads to learn as much as I can about my injury and recovery process.  Thanks to all for the great input you provide on this site.

John42, can you send me document covering the rehab.  My email is on my profile.  Thanks a bunch  :)

Offline LondonNiall

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #486 on: May 13, 2010, 10:41:09 AM »
Hi John,

You may recall from the other (RPT) board that I ruptured my patella tendon last year below the knee and am well on the way to recovery.

Have a friend of the family who's just ruptured their tendon above the knee, so I guess this is the place to learn more on that injury? I originally directed them to this site and told them my experiences but when I was told it was above the knee figured it may be quite a different recovery process.

Would like to be able to give them some advice, we know how tough it is to be reassured you're on the right track when you have a relatively rare injury. If anything an above-the-knee rupture seems more rare. Do you know if the recovery process is largely the same i.e. broadly 6 weeks virtually immobile, 3 months very cautious, 6 months light activity, 9 months total? Do you have any specific info on this type of injury, aside form the 3 RPT docs you forwarded? He's been put in a cast not a brace.

Will direct them to this thread but not sure whether they are PC literate.

Thanks.   
25th Aug 09; Complete rupture of right patella tendon with surgery the following day;
18th Oct 09; Snapped the wire support whilst exercising;
21st Dec 09: Surgery to remove screw and wire support.
28th Mar 10: Played football again

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #487 on: May 13, 2010, 10:58:27 AM »
Hi Nial

Do please direct your friend to this wonderful site for extensive knowledge regarding the Ruptured Quadricep Tendon ....  Your friendd should post details of his injury on this thread as well.

He should read as many of the previous posts as possible, and if required, please ask him to contact me, and I will send him my collection of three rehab documents.

Trust this thread has give you lots of confidence - keep posting.

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #488 on: May 13, 2010, 11:04:40 AM »
Hi Mistertonite

Welcome to the Ruptured Quadricep Tendon thread - essential that you read as many of the previous posts - don`t hesitate to ask questions -   

Where do you live?

I am sending you the three documents covering the rehab process

Suggest you read the following Kneeguru thread
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=8389.new;topicseen#new

Best wishes
JohnK/ Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline walaxref

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #489 on: May 18, 2010, 03:09:27 AM »
10 days post surgery for severed quad tendon repair and walking with one crutch. Hope to be crutchless by Friday- day 15  ;D

Doing isometrics but notice little movement within the muscles themselves.  Can feel it near the knee and hip but nothing in between.

Doc says to keep it straight and not to bend the knee.  Tremendously annoying. Brace is majorly uncomfortable. Incision burns especially after icing. 

Stan

Offline stylabull

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #490 on: May 26, 2010, 04:51:06 PM »
Am now  almost 10 months since complete quad rupture, been having pain when trying to run so went for x-rays yesterday, looks like I have some floating matter in the knee, maybe flakes of bone. MRI scan to follow then maybe another op, hopefully it will clear up the problem. Anyone else experienced bone flakes in knee ? Actual repair work looks really good though so that has eased my mind a little

Offline CoachB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #491 on: May 29, 2010, 05:00:20 AM »
This is Coach B. I have not posted for some time.  I am a 63 yr. old male who tore quad tendon playing basketball. I am now 7 months post op. I have as good a range of motion as possible given the length of my reconstructed tendon.  6 months post opt I got the ok from ortho to play in the Tx. senior regional 3 on 3 basketball games.  We finished tied for 1st and thus qualify for state championship in Houston in Oct.  Everyone thinks I am crazy for playing.  I still have swelling, in fact saw ortho today.  Thought he might drain it or hit me with a steriod, but he is taking conservative approach suggesting antiinflamatory and ice.  Some of my swelling is scare tissue and other assoicated with the iquad tendon injury in which there may be some minor damage to the knee joint area. I lift weights, walk daily, swim, and began officiating basketball again.  I do bicycle type exercise movements in the pool for range of motion. I do not have pain, just swelling, which does limit the development to full strength of the quad muscle. Not sure there is anything we can do about the swelling.  Standard protocol ice and elevation and if needed antiinflamatory meds.  To those of you out there just coming off surgery, hang in, work hard, & do the exercises prescribed by your PT &/or ortho.  Good luck to all.  If an old man like me can still get on the basketball court, you can do make it also!

Offline ruddski1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #492 on: May 30, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »
Hey coach B good to see your doing well, 6 months and playing basketball, wow! I am now 5 months post-op and doing pretty well, I have had full ROM for over a month but getting the muscle back is the the hard part. I am walking normal but still a little slow paced and I am very careful around stairs and ramps, also went on my friends boat and it turns out walking on floating docks is a bit tricky also. Walaxref, sorry to hear about your injury but just take it slow and don't try to do too much at first. I feel I was lucky in that I had a very good Dr and PT and the message that my DR drilled into me was that the first 1-1/2 to 2 months was to let the muscle heal and to really try not to stress the injury. After that it was about getting ROM, then building muscle. I was cautioned that doing too much too early could partially tear my repair, and that could make my knee weaker for life or possible re-surgery if bad enough. I am glad to say that I walk most times not thinking about my knee anymore and if you have read any of my earlier posts I am an avid skiier and I am looking forward to next season.

Offline CoachB

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #493 on: June 08, 2010, 05:11:46 AM »
Coach B here.  Swelling is an issue with most of us.  Yesterday I purchased a McDavid Elastic Knee brace. It feels great by providing light compression without any heat retention.  You can google McDavid Knee Braces and purchase online for $10.  Bought mine at Sports Authority. I have a double wrap petellar knee brace for when i play competitive basketball, but I wanted something for simple everyday use that would give my knee a little more support.  This brace could be worn under dress slacks.  Also purchased ankle weights so I could continuously work on leg lifts at home and not just at the fitness center.  Hoping to break up some scare tissue.

Offline amen4847

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #494 on: June 10, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
hi guys, im new on here, i Had a partial quad tendon and muscle tear (Vastus intermidius and lateralis). Only had to get the tendon repaired though. This happen in march 15, 2010. I didnt get surgery till april the 8, 2010. its been 2 months and i only have about 60 degrees of flexion, does this sound right. the docs didnt send me to get rehab from a PT. they just told me to do leg raises while laying down and to start slowly doing a flexion  excercise on that leg while laying down. im just doing my own form of rehab because i dont know what to do. should i have more ROM by now?