Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 393870 times)

Offline Mage66

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2007, 02:37:18 PM »
As far as I know, I didn't have an allograft. What I did to prepare myself for my home convalescence was to subscribe to NutriSystem. For about $10 a day, I got Breakfast, lunch and dinner. All calorie controlled. So I didn't over-eat.

Anything like that should work.

I also ordered take-out food to be delivered to break up the monotony.

I was in bed 6 weeks, but I had both knees done. You'll probably be in bed for a week just to let the surgical wound get a good start on healing, and the stitches are removed.

Don't be afraid. All will be well. Trust your Doctor. Thousands of people have this done each year. This is pretty routine surgery for an Orthopedic surgeon.

You'll be fine.

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2007, 05:05:25 AM »
Yeah Im actually more anxious just to get it over with.  I have to go in for my pre sugery testing fri morning and ask them for some crutches since i don't have any.  I still need help with steps since that is how I fell last time. KNowing that Ill be in a brace helps and makes me feel more secure.  How soon were you back to work after yours??? I know you had both done at the same time so Im sure it will be different. I work retail and at a grocery store so Im planning on at least six weeks.  Anyway thanks for the feedback

Offline lobo

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2007, 12:48:17 AM »
I Ruptured my left Quadriceps Tendon  On Dec. 5 2006.  This has been a horrid ordeal since I am a steroid free Powerlifter and was working on breaking 700lbs in my deadlift at age 47.  I could tell you all the details about how I fell and the surgery etc, that would take a very long time, so I wont.

I am just really pissed off since I am 6 months out and squated 315 x 1, and deadlift 500 x 1.  You may think that is good considering the injury, though my right leg and back and other supporting muscles actually did the work, since I can barely do one leg leg extensions with 10lbs.  Going down stairs without the rail-I can do this-though I look as if I have serious nervous disorder an a DEE DEE DEE too.  I have a liitle over 95% volitional bend, she(my rehab pt) can push me to 120%.  I did have huge quads before, quite small in my view now.  I am sAying that the Knee HURTS, feels totaley [email protected]*% UP, and is not IMPROVING.

I am self employed personal trainer who lost 3-1/2 months of work and a client loss of over 700 a month.  Know in debt big time, will may be bankrupt, or dead.

For the past month, I reiterate the aforementioned not improving quality of the knee.  My knee is never going to be normal, I will not be able to set new steroid free state DEADLIFT RECORDS OR SQUAT OVER 500-OR 400.  And from reading some of the posts, will need another surgery??  I am in a bad place-I fell on a clients icey driveway.  Was a fluke fall, one in a million.  Said female clents husband is a lawyer and did not get one bit of support from them when at home alone in a cast, cann't drive(jeep is a stick), other people helped somewhat.  I am not one to litigate for money, though thinking about since she acts like it never happened when I train her each week.  It would be difficult since he is a lawyer, and I don't really feel right about this.

What can I expect for this Knee? Lie to me!!!!

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2007, 07:06:34 AM »
Hi

I wont lie - but a few hard facts ......

You might get some improvement over the next few months, but not a lot - I slipped on ice, and still suffering four years later - 

A tendon injury is unlike a bone injury, and I dont know anybody who has returned to 100% fitness after this type of serious injury.

It`s obvious that you might have to reconsider what you are going  to do in the future, but I dont see weight lifting coming into that catogry.

Her`s wishes you the best for the future - make the best of it...

Best wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2007, 05:04:10 PM »
Lobo - I'm sensing a lot of anger about your situation- yes - it is unfortunate.  Like you said a one in a million fluke fall.  Mine was too.  We can always look back and analyze what shoulda coulda been done, but it is what it is.  Think about how you could be a valuable resource to others who are recuperating from this injury and what to get back to being a powerlifter or some other higher performance athlete.

My P.T. told me it would be AT LEAST one year before I'm back to where I was pre-accident.  And as I work my way through this - I think that is only if I work on the muscles a every day but at the same time don't overdo it and also don't reinjure it as well.  (see above post) My guess is it will be closer to two years.
Tendons just get old, they don't improve with age!

I am about 9.5 months out and while I see a great deal of improvement, my leg is still weaker than the good one.  I can tell that it is going to be a l-o -n-g time before it will be anything close to the good one.

Take your time, enjoy the scenery and let the anger go....all it does is raise the blood pressure. 

Regards,

Fred

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2007, 04:39:32 AM »
okay guys going in in less than 10 hrs im still scared trust the doc but hate going under! i will do a post op diary and send some pics. thanks for all your help. 

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2007, 05:11:15 PM »
Hey everyone.  I wanted to reply to you guys since you helped me answer most of the questions.  I had surgery june 20.  I am doing very well.  I am in an immobilizer.  I am giong in this week to have a new brace made, with a lock set at 15 degrees.  I had tremendous amount of pain the first couple of days.  The morphene really helped. Other than that I have ditched the crutches am walking fairly well and havent fallen yet.  I am in no pain as of right now but do feel the tendon getting tight at times.  Ill keep you all updated hope all is well.

Offline Mage66

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »
Cynthia,

That sounds about normal for this kind of surgery. Morphine got me through my first few days too...

See? We told you there was nothing to be frightened of.

You did/are doing great!!!

Just keep up the healing! I recommend supplementing with Zinc, Calcium and Iron. They will all help the healing go faster and better.

Also, a good brand of Omega 3 and Pycogenol will help the blood flow to your leg that may have been disrupted by the surgery. My brother in law takes a shot glass full of Quinine water every day in lieu of the Pycogenol. It helps him a lot.

I also took Magnesium to help with the muscle spasms.

Keep us clued in to how you're doing. We're all pullling for you!

Al
Phila, PA

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2007, 06:07:45 PM »
Thanks again! I will keep you updated when istart ptherapy and get my new brace.  Glad to see Im on the right track! I am going to be job searching in the next couple of weeks for an office position I would like to postpone any more of these surgeries:) PLus am in need of career change.

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »
Hey folkes, i had my quadricep tendon repaired on May 14th and just over 5 weeks of therapy. I am at 80 ROM and still on crutches. My OS says to start putting weight on wean down to one crutch.  Can only tell me at what point were they able to walk without crutches or a walker? Do you still use brace?

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2007, 09:49:24 PM »
Hey there, congrats on your success! Makes me feel better already.  I ended up being able to full weight on my crutches and was able to ditch them after five days.  Everyone is different so don't get discouraged.  I am in a new post op brace only able to bend at 15 degrees.  Slight problem, I want to be able to drive!!! If I were you and you feel safe doing so go on one.  I would ask your pt for advice.  I do have a quesiton for you guys what kind of knee excercises were you doing your second week???? I am receiving a lot of tightness in back of my knee. I am stretching which helps. But I want to be up to pace. I can not do a straight leg raise yet. I was walking with a limp for a year before my surgery. I think that might have a lot to do with it.  I do know my quad is a little weak yet, and I have  a lot to go before I get there. Any advice on some exercises would be helpful thanks again!!!!

Offline robj

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2007, 11:49:57 PM »
I was off work for 11 weeks from a ruptured quadricep tendon.  I have been back to work for three months now and my knee is doing fine.  Occassionally my knee will buckle on me for no reason at all.  I do standing squats and lunges three days a week.  I have no knee pain.  I get a little scared whenever I go down a slope or hill and go down walking sideways.  Just down right scared to walk straight down.  My Doctor said that I can start back running at the end of the month.  The main thing is just listen to  your doctor and dont over do it.  Progress is slow but I am improving every week.  From everything I have heard it takes about a year to get back to normal.  After every workout do lots of stretches.  My PT said stretch before and after and I can tell that it has made a big difference.  I have lost several pounds since my injury also.  My doctor has told me many times that any extra weight will just prolong the recovery.  Keep a positive attitude and you will be just fine.

Offline mlvdan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2007, 02:34:38 PM »
This recovery is so strange and fustrating at times. Last nigt at PT he got me to about 90 by all the pushing and pulling....darn it hurts.....it felt good to hear him say  I was cost to 90, but when I sit or walk i dont feel close to 90 at all...more like 65 or70........

cynthia, I am gonna let the one crutch go this weekend and see what happens. My PT says just be careful of crowded areas(ie: malls).  I have been back to work for about 2 weeks now being a desk job. I can drive but it takes time putting seat back to raise myself in. I can get just enough bend and no pain to do it. I bring ice with me in the office and at lunch time elevate and ice on my desk......This past week I drove to Delaware which is 1 1/2 hour from where I live in NJ. Most of the pain or being uncomfortable came from my hamstrings.....anyone have that ? 

Offline cynthiab4

• Regular Poster
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2007, 08:35:07 PM »
That sounds like what I have. It moves in back of my leg from the tightness. I would ask your pt for hamstring stretches.  Since you can bend your knee more they will help you out a lot.  Ive just been icing and trying to stretch the back of my leg as much as possible.  It helps but still hurts.  Right now Im just doing some quad strengthining.  I go to my ptherapy Tues. I cant wait to go. Can you remember what exercises you were doing for your first couple weeks??  How long was it when you started driving?? I am not doing to much right now. I hate sitting at home all the time. I know it takes time but i like to be independent so to speak lol.  WEll keep me updated! Im sure ill have more questions as well.   

Offline frederico

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2007, 01:56:39 AM »
Cynthia, my Orthopod only wanted passive stretching for the first 3 months post-surgery.  I started doing some leg extensions with no weight, and he was fllipping out at that.  It takes the tendon three months to heal back, so go slow and go low (reps & wt.)
I was able to drive after about three weeks, but that was because I had a big car door to get into, my injured leg was the left one, and I live in the USA.
I ditched the crutches after 3 weeks ( I think). 
I was glad my hamstrings were pretty stretched out prior to the injury, I can imagine that if they weren't they would have been sore because of all the straight leg standing and stretching I did!   

support