Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473328 times)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1515 on: March 24, 2018, 07:57:17 PM »
Does anyone know what are some good weights for re-building strength in the front lower legs? (you know, the front of your legs below the knee). I still get a sensation of "falling" from time to time when I step forward. Which is not all that big of a deal, really. But I want to get to the point where when I step forward I don't get that feeling anymore.

Would ankle weights coupled with leg extension exercises work?

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1516 on: March 31, 2018, 08:34:39 AM »
Is anyone still here?

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #1517 on: April 03, 2018, 08:17:18 PM »
Hey turbo,  can't comment to much on the exercises as I just started doing squats and different  versions of leg extensions ( feels weird). Hopefully the more you walk with a normal gait it will get better. I finally hit 90 degrees at week 12, just can't believe how weak the leg is.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1518 on: April 04, 2018, 02:41:23 AM »
Hey turbo,  can't comment to much on the exercises as I just started doing squats and different  versions of leg extensions ( feels weird). Hopefully the more you walk with a normal gait it will get better. I finally hit 90 degrees at week 12, just can't believe how weak the leg is.

I'm at week 7200 and I am still stepping off steps with my right leg first and completely straight.  ;D Nowhere near normal gait yet and I am still extremely surprised at how weak my leg still is. Mind you this is with constant daily exercises from PT.

I don't even remember what week I am at. All the physical therapists at my PT place know me by name, and I know them by name. Never did I imagine what I would be going through after this surgery. Not in a million years.

Offline brisket

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #1519 on: April 04, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »
I may have gone through a similar stage in the last few months. At first, water was my ally.  I spent hours going up and down a set of stairs in a local recreation center's pool. Having the support of the water made it easier to get used to the motion and regain confidence relying on the leg in any position other than "straight". There was also a section of the pool with water current and walking briskly against it really helped me gain strength for walking up inclines/etc.

Regarding the "front lower legs", I'm not sure if this will be applicable, but when I finally felt strong enough to go up stairs alternating legs, there was some odd feeling of grinding and rubbing inside my knee that was quite worrisome. What I discovered is that I was not using the right muscles, or at least not the right way. When I focused on copying the movement patterns from the other leg, the weird sensations went away and I felt much stronger. I mention this because it was the "front lower legs" is where I noticed a difference.

Also know everyone by name at the PT place, even a fair number of the other clients. Got a cheer last week when I jogged for the first time :)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1520 on: April 07, 2018, 10:54:45 PM »
I thought it would be interesting to post progress pics.

Below:

Left Photo: 9/30/2016 approximately 9 days after surgery, when complications began with blistering turning into necrotic skin.

Right photo: last night. Hard to believe how far I have come, and how deep I've had to go.

https://imgur.com/a/dmkK4

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1521 on: April 09, 2018, 06:24:32 PM »
TC3000, not sure that you have anything to strengthen in your shin area. Stability in this area, I think comes from strengthening the muscles that stabilize your knee. And round in circles we go!
By the way, I am the individual you mentioned in your post of Feb 10th, who was back at work 3 days post-op. Do not confuse the need to work because one is self employed, with a large overhead, with being back to normal ! 
 Being forced, by necessity, to get moving, was probably a blessing in disguise. Additionally, arthritic wrists at 65, forced me to ditch the crutches after one week. Could not understand the need to avoid weight bearing anyway. Starting PT at two weeks, with a therapist who was used to working with people whose lives centered around their physical abilities, was also essential to a fast recovery; as mentioned elsewhere mine was Head of PT for the Vancouver Olympics.
Remember too that Rehab Protocols, being general in nature, are designed around the lowest common denominator, not even the mean! In North America in particular everyone wants, first and foremost, to cover their behinds.
In that regard, I have to say that I donít advocate everyone throwing caution to the winds, but be prepared to question, question, question!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1522 on: April 10, 2018, 03:16:08 AM »
TC3000, not sure that you have anything to strengthen in your shin area. Stability in this area, I think comes from strengthening the muscles that stabilize your knee. And round in circles we go!
By the way, I am the individual you mentioned in your post of Feb 10th, who was back at work 3 days post-op. Do not confuse the need to work because one is self employed, with a large overhead, with being back to normal ! 
 Being forced, by necessity, to get moving, was probably a blessing in disguise. Additionally, arthritic wrists at 65, forced me to ditch the crutches after one week. Could not understand the need to avoid weight bearing anyway. Starting PT at two weeks, with a therapist who was used to working with people whose lives centered around their physical abilities, was also essential to a fast recovery; as mentioned elsewhere mine was Head of PT for the Vancouver Olympics.
Remember too that Rehab Protocols, being general in nature, are designed around the lowest common denominator, not even the mean! In North America in particular everyone wants, first and foremost, to cover their behinds.
In that regard, I have to say that I donít advocate everyone throwing caution to the winds, but be prepared to question, question, question!

Aahhh Stuart! Nice to e-meet you sir. I guess I am lucky that my wrists/arms were strong enough to be on crutches for 8 months. I would not have been able to make it through this misadventure otherwise.  :o

Make no mistake, though, Stuart - the pics don't show this. But the atrophy in my right leg is still significant. But, at the very least it IS improving. Today with my walker showed so much improvement that I am barely putting any weight on my walker as I step forward on my right knee, and fully engage my quadriceps tendon. I was almost feeling like I never would feel anything close to that ever again. But I am getting there. Please note: I only use my walker for about 20 minutes in the evening while I do PT protocol exercises to strengthen my right leg. Otherwise, I am using my cane all day long.

Indeed. I get what you are saying about questioning, questioning, questioning. My PT is so adamant about me not using my right knee at ALL with my cane on my right. I've always been using my cane on my left. Well, guess what happened? When I started using it on my right, I've improved immensely in both my walking strength, and how I walk. I really can't go back to using my cane on my left after the improvement I have experienced. Of course, I will use my cane on my left when I go to PT...

As of today, I have reached a new baseline. Sitting for long periods at my desk at work no longer are an assault on my knees. I can now finally get up and just start walking without much issue.

Other improvements as of today include:

1. A brand-new baseline normal. Meaning, that how I feel normally has increased in a positive way. I don't feel super weak in the muscles in my legs anymore when I first stand up.
2. I have a feeling of interior muscle increases all around, not just in my right leg.
3. I can walk at a very slow pace very controlled-like, very natural, without much of an issue as I have had with doing so before even just yesterday.

Slowly but surely, I am finally going to be a normal person again. Without my cane. Soon. Soon!

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1523 on: April 11, 2018, 03:15:20 AM »
Things are improving quickly.

As of this evening, I no longer need my walker to perform the PT protocol exercise I described above. I can now do it entirely with my cane.

I really will be walking like a normal person soon.

Offline Chrisby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1524 on: April 20, 2018, 09:56:02 AM »
Just checking in firstly to thank everyone for sharing theie experiences

I ruptured my left Quad tendon but had to wait 5 weeks before the repair op which the surgeon said was less than ideal but all done now. Eight weeks post op today and wore fixed cricket splint for 71/2 weeks so just starting with no splint Feels a bit wobbly without the splint and have lost some confidence

ROM at 50 but cant get any more just started gentle physio (UK)

At what rate can I expect ROM to improve and swelling go down. 

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1525 on: April 20, 2018, 06:40:03 PM »
Chrisby. I just responded to a post today on the sister RPT threading which a poster wrote of going to a fixed splint to a neoprene sleeve. To go from a fixed splint to nothing almost beggars belief. I consider myself to be an advocate of pushing the limits, but would strongly suggest  the use of an adjustable brace for safetyís sake, especially if just starting physio. If you have had 13 weeks of no activity you are bound to have considerable muscular atrophy; I would think at this point discretion is the better part of valour!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1526 on: April 21, 2018, 09:05:50 AM »
Hi Chrisby

Welcome to KneeGuru -  You should start of on your long road to recovery by reading some of the previous posts - You have sustained a very serious and rare injury with a long rehab process in front of you.

If you let me have your e-mail address, I will send you a collection of useful documents, to read up on your injury.  Keep posting, we are here to give you guidance from numerous buddies on this thread who have gone through this injury.

Where do you live?    How did you sustain your injury?
JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1527 on: April 21, 2018, 06:49:23 PM »
Hi Chrisby

Suggest you have look at this thread - will give you lots of information on your injury.

file:///C:/Users/Jkram/Downloads/21Patella-TendonRupture%20(1).pdf

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Tvh3382

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 25
  • Bilateral Quadricep Rupture 14/2/18
« Reply #1528 on: April 25, 2018, 12:06:20 PM »
It is 10 weeks today since my bilateral quadricep rupture.  The Cricket pad splints were changed for the hinged splints after 5 weeks.  Discharged by the orthopaedic team after 9 weeks.  Never saw the surgeon!!  Now under care of Physio.  Really stepped up on strengthening exercises this week but still only allowed to walk with hinged splints and now crutches (was frame) and not allowed to try steps yet.

The ROM is still poor, I think.  Right knee is at 58 degrees and left knee is at 43 degrees.  The knees will just not bend past that.  Due back at physio next week to work on bending.

John, can you send me the information you are sending Chrisby as well.  My email address is [email protected]

Chrisby, when did you do your injury?  It sounds as though you may be a few weeks after my accident.  I am based in northern England and will be interesting to see how the NHS compares in different parts of the UK.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #1529 on: April 25, 2018, 11:52:54 PM »
Tvh3382, glad to hear of your progress. Haven't posted in a while because progress is slow and mundane. Starting week 15 and r.o.m. is at 105 and gaining, and able to walk slowly with no aids. I never made any big leaps in flexion, just a steady 5į weekly. Spoke to my Dr. Yesterday about this. Was told I probably had scar tissue but as long as the gains keep coming with no setbacks it's okay. The thing that has helped the most was just hanging my leg off the bed and slowly let gravity pull it down. Graduated from that to a table where I could pull my leg back further. Progress is time consuming and tedious, but you have to keep pushing. Hope everyone's heeling well.