Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 411176 times)

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1230 on: January 21, 2017, 12:06:38 AM »
Hi..
I am not sure why no weight bearing...even with infection there is no reason for non weight bearing unless it is very close to the bone and afraid that the bone gets involved or get into the blood stream.
Either way hard to say... personally I don't agree and I like the more aggressive approach.  However every case is different. I would ask the OS of his reasoning..the only suggestion I have is when you are able to do stuff make sure you are seeing a good pt and work hard at it... the scar tissue forms quickly...
Best of luck to all of us...
And please don't forget that 2/3 of all patellar / quad ruptures heal perfectly.. and 1/3 heal from 50%to 80%
I am being aggressive on mine..

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 64
« Reply #1231 on: January 21, 2017, 10:12:12 PM »
Thanks Stu and Chiro,
Guess the more I'm  thinking about it, the worst case scenario for me is I have to take a disability retirement. Wasn't quite planning it this way, but it ain't the end of the world either. Time will tell I guess.

I will be pumping you guys for info and advice when the time comes.

Thanks again

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1232 on: January 21, 2017, 11:10:49 PM »
Hi Barrjoe
You are only in your mid 50s...
You will be okay. Within 6 to 8 months you will see the difference... just find a good pt and listen to your knee. Minimum pressure however proper rehab.
Make sure your diet is excellent.
And add some omega 3.vit d .. glucosamine sulfate to your diet. And some good protein shake.
Hang in there ...
We are all in it together..

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1233 on: January 28, 2017, 09:39:16 PM »
Been immobilized for almost 2 weeks. They started off with a cylinder cast on me, but it had to be changed after 1 week. It dropped at least 2 inches and was chewing up the top of my ankle. Good friend of mine who's also a MD, stopped by my house, took one look at the cast and said thats got to go. He wanted to take up to his office and do it that night, that's how bad it got. Told him that wasn't necessary as I had an appt the next day.

Anyway, got to the Ortho and when they cut the cast off, the top on my ankle was all chewed up and bruised. The PA told me they would put another cylinder cast on but the same thing was probably going to happen . We both agreed that a full leg cast was probably the way to go since I'm non weight bearing anyway. So, been in that for almost a week and it totally sucks!  Finally got out today for couple of hours but it totally whipped me!

But the upside is I got tons of people offering to help me out. I'm the one who seldom asked for help before and was the first one to offer help. I got people doing snow removal , odd chores, bringing me coffee, bringing us food over ect. God bless all of them! I can't express my gratitude and thanks enough. Their acts of kindness are too numerous to mention and greatly appreciated.

Until the next time.....

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1234 on: January 31, 2017, 11:49:33 AM »
Hi Barrjoe
How long you will be in the long cast?
Then I am assuming that they put you in the brace..
It is good.that they are checking it and fixing the problem...
Soon you are on your way to recovery??

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1235 on: February 01, 2017, 11:02:22 AM »
In the cast until 2/17. Start pt after that. Can't judge how it's going to feel since I can't move my knee at all. Time will tell I guess

Offline davkt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #1236 on: February 03, 2017, 05:46:58 PM »
Hi there,
Another ruptured quad (surgeon confirmed it had snapped completely) happened Tuesday last week slipping on some steps in the London Underground. Had surgery last Friday, under general anaesthetic as the spinal block didn't work but on the plus side while they were messing around with that they did notice I'd also broken my ankle, something that escaped everyone, me included, up till then! I though I'd slightly twisted it :-\ !
Currently in a below the knee cast and full length brace locked at dead straight and getting pretty good at hopping around on crutches as the ankle means I can't put weight on the right leg at the moment and know this is the start of a rather long process!

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1237 on: February 03, 2017, 09:25:01 PM »
Hi davkt
Sorry to hear about your injury.
It is a long recovery however most people do recover very well.
Rest well and don't push it for the first few weeks ..
Find a good pt for when you start rehab.
There is alot of info here on this forum .. I know that I read most of it...
Best of luck ...

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1238 on: February 05, 2017, 02:51:12 PM »
Got 12 days to go before cast comes off and I start rehab. Again!!  Have had minor discomfort at night, but it should be expected as I'm getting out a bit more the last week. Can' t wait to start rehab and drive again. Looking at my jeep with a foot of snow on it  is disheartening to say the least.

Talked to the PA Friday about why mine retore and she things I might have done something early after the first surgery. She's probably right. It kinda gave out on me one day. I had the brace on but it never fit good and it probably bent more than it should have. I also wasn't real good about being non weight bearing all of the time. Probably 90% of the time. Never really didn't anything that hurt but didn't do what I was told either.

Guess my advice is listen to your Doc. I found out the hard way this isn't an injury to mess around with. Your probably not as healed as you think you are. I know I did.

Good Luck!

Offline davkt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1239 on: February 05, 2017, 04:12:09 PM »
Well managed to crutch hop to the local shop and back today! All of about 500m to get there and back with about 25m elevation difference between shop and home but getting mobile again has to start somewhere.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
« Reply #1240 on: February 07, 2017, 09:41:09 AM »
Well I have finally started rehab. It's no small picnic after being forced to keep my right knee 100% straight for 5 months while my wound heals. It is STILL FREAKING HEALING!!!!!  >:(

Buuuuuuuut the good news:per wound care the bottom part of my wound has healed completely and I am down to a very small hole up top- this hole has a 0.55cm "tunnel" under the skin at 12 o'clock, and a 1.0cm "tunnel" under the skin at 4 o'clock. It is at the point where I can finally bend my knee, though, but I am still in a brace and on crutches. At my first PT appointment on 2/2 I am already at 30 degrees ROM on my right knee.

I have been given exercises to do every day to strengthen my quad and bring back function, which I am doing. In the mean time: my BRACE BROKE!!!!! AAAAHHHHHH!!!! It came unglued on the top strap and it makes keeping it on in its rightful position impossible.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

So, not only that I cannot bend my knee at home like my surgeon wants to because I have to bend it IN the brace and my brace can only fit at one point right ABOVE my knee (rather than up top as close to my hip as possible). So I have to wait until I get my new brace so I can bend my knee at home like my surgeon wants me to.

I am getting stronger at doing heal > toe, heal > toe exercises from my PT which is why I have not been able  to wean myself off of crutches. Why hasn't anyone told me this before? I didn't know that...and it seems to me that as a crucial part of walking, as soon as I was able to put 100% weight on my knee I should have been told to do these exercises too. Because as I am putting 100% weight on my knee, with crutches I have to keep my right leg at a certain angle, which makes doing the heal > toe thing difficult.

I am somewhat frustrated and kind of upset at this point but I guess there's not much else you can do but do what comes in steps from the surgeon and the PT. I just want this whole thing to be OVER.

9/21 (day of surgery) through 2/2 was keeping my knee 100% straight. Now as of 2/2 I have finally started physical therapy. I wish my wound would have just healed back in October / November like it should have instead of developing necrosis. I would have been walking and back to work by now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 09:44:32 AM by TurboCoder3000 »

Offline davkt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1241 on: February 09, 2017, 05:39:46 PM »
Went to the hospital yesterday for the first post op appointment, was hoping (from what the surgeon said while I was in hospital) I'd be getting 10 of flex but instead I'm waiting for a slot on the surgical list (probably tomorrow) to sort my ankle out, seems the cast didn't quite do their job so the surgery that was first talked almost about 2 weeks ago before we tried it will be happening.

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1242 on: February 10, 2017, 12:26:05 AM »
Hi davkt
Do you know exactly what they are going to do with your ankle?. Which part of the ankle is broken?
Are you going to be in a air cast or full cast?.
Best of luck...

Offline davkt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1243 on: February 10, 2017, 08:02:11 PM »
Will find out exactly tomorrow as I've just been told to get to the hospital for 7am in the morning but basically it is open it up, shove the broken ends of the bone back into place then screw in some metalwork to hold them there. Must admit I've never actually asked which bit is broken but sort of assume it is my fib a couple of inched above the knobbly bit of ankle as although it hasn't hurt much that is is the slightly sore spot and the spot my brain seems to think something changed in mid week.
Today's fun and games, putting my trousers on this morning and noticed my knee move slightly, quick check and one of the locking mechs on the knee of the brace had self destructed overnight so the outside brace now had totally free movement! The OT tech at the hospital was suitably impressed with the improvised lock I'd created with a kids ski pole to get me to hospital to have it replaced, though I must say I think I'd have had to hand my mountain first aid certificate back in if I couldn't immobilise my leg in a house full of ski and hiking gear!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 08:04:57 PM by davkt »

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1244 on: February 14, 2017, 04:22:20 PM »
Cast comes off Friday so hoping to keep my sanity until then. Yeah!! Been getting out a fair amount the last week or so. Getting pretty good on crutches so I'm not a worried when I'm out and about. Even drove my tractor this morning and cleaned snow up. Life is good.

Want to attack rehab with a vengeance, so I'm going to try to get into pt right away. Think I got my work cut out for me , but I'm anxious and motivated