Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 394151 times)

Offline vince99frc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1200 on: July 12, 2016, 12:13:15 AM »
Hello guys!!!  Its been a while, but I wanted to give an update.  3 years post QTR surgery.  I am still working on symmetry, but I am ONLY four 45lb plates short of where I was b4 the QTR on the leg press.  I still have some quad lag and buckle sometimes if I step wrong or walk backwards.  However I am repping sixteen 45lb plates.  Doing high rep hex deadlifts with 225lbs.  I can run, but my knee starts getting tight after the one mile mark. I still have some numbness on the lateral outside of the knee.  I was told my knees would look the same once healed, but I beg to differ.

In a nutshell it gets better if you keep pushing yourself.  Long layoffs from exercising will only make it harder when you start again.  This is a long life adventure.  Don't be a hero.  Take it slow and steady.  Leave your ego at home.  I literally stay at the same weight for a month or two and just up the reps.  The last thing I want to do is mess things up.  Keep your head up high and know you are enjoying something MANY go through because we try.  Keep trying to be the best YOU can be. 

Offline melynnm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
  • RQT 1/6/14
« Reply #1201 on: September 18, 2016, 05:16:30 AM »
I'm 2 yrs 9months out from QTR.  This was the most devastating injury I've ever had.  That being saiid, I'm amazed how my body has responded to this injury.  Took almost 2 years  before I felt comfortable with the way my kne3e is working now.  However, in Feb 2016 I was diagnosed with patella chondromalacia, on the opposite leg, probably as a direct result of the the RQT per my Ortho Dr.  Did a home PT program and began to exercise & diet.  My Ortho explained to me that because I over used& favorited my opposite leg, my IT band became very tight as well as  my calf & hamstring muscles.   Still having problems. And now I'm pretty sure I have tendinitis of my Achilles' tendon.  I'll get through this, just need to keep working on it.   It's just kinda funny that I was focusing so hard on rehabbing my RQT that I caused problems elsewhere.  So my advised to others....work on your VMO, IT band & calf muscles on the other side before it gets bad....any one else have issues so far out from the original injury day??

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1202 on: September 20, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »
melynnm,

coincidence that this just popped up.  I ruptured both of my tendons around the same time as your injury.  I had to have a 2nd operation on my left knee about 18 months ago as that one didn't heal properly.  I am now having an issue with my right knee that sounds very similar to yours.  There isn't really a constant pain but when I put all of my weight on in it I can really feel it.  Bowling last night was a b*tch and it got worse as the night went on.  I am going to the orthopedic urgent care after work tonight to see what they have to say. 

I have probably been working my legs too hard as I don't really need to leg press 300 lbs so hopefully rest will help.  There has also been a lot of cardio as I try to get my weight back down.  Did the home PT help?  What did they have you doing?   

This is my 1st real setback since my 2nd surgery.

Good Luck.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 07:52:01 PM by destroyedbothtendons »
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1203 on: September 30, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »
So it's official.  Per the ortho I have arthritis in my right knee.  I spent the last 10 days icing, stretching and taking anti-inflammatory medicine.  I felt perfectly fine until last night when I picked up a bowling ball.  It started hurting immediately and got worse as the night went on.  Now the debate is to whether I should get the cortisone shot or not.  Probably will make that decision in the morning.  Yay me.

Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1204 on: October 03, 2016, 03:27:39 PM »
Jut checking in, yesterday was my 3 year anniversary of my surgery for trying to fly down stairs and doing the double. Not much change in the past year, I still can't stand for a long period of time and kneeling really sucks. I am very grateful that I am not in a wheelchair or having to use a walker. Thanks again to John for all his advice and help. Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Big Mike

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1205 on: October 08, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
I slipped on the ice in mid January of this year and got a quad rupture of the right leg.  I couldn't even use my left leg much (did you guys when the injury happened have trouble using the other leg, it acted like it was hurt also but it wasn't) so I was going to the doctor using an ambulance (non-emergency).  I knew within 2 days that it had to do with my muscle being detached because I couldn't move like right leg foward at all and barely move it back and that was done via other leg muscles, most of the time I had to use my hand to move my right leg.  The emergency room doctor was a goof and when I told him and he knew I couldn't put weight on non of my legs and requested to be put in the hospital he said we don't put people unless your real old and/or some serious injury or something (yet I couldn't walk after an accident, who's to say it wasn't a spinal injury?). 

I didn't have a family doctor or personal doctor so I had to get one and they got me to see the Orthopedic doctor and she had me do an MRI.  But she didn't MRI my right knee area or quad area she just had them MRI my spine (thinking I had something wrong with my spine).  The only why she finally found out that I had a quad rupture was when I went back to her with the MRI information and she had a localized scan done of my right knee area.  To make a long story short I had the surgery and was of course put in a cast (no weight bearing for at least 6 weeks and then put into another brace that allows bending or controlled bending from 90 degrees and such.  I have a numb patch on the lateral right side of my lower quad/knee area and she said that it would be there.

Went through PT and such (was off my feet in a wheelchair for three months) Quad Atrophy.  I got stronger and is finally able to walk with a cane, I was off from work on disability (luckily company paid) for 8 months.  My issue is that I'm still weak and having issues walking.

What I mean is that it feels like I'm walking and using only my lower quad (I know that is silly since the whole quad extends the leg).  I think this because I have real issues using stairs (i don't), when I practice stepping up a few times on stairs my legs/quad feel weak and it feels unstable.  When I step of the curve it's unstable (mostly on the right where I had the quad rupture).  It just feels like that the other muscles aren't helping to stabilize.

When I try to do a lunge I can't get down low enough.  Also when I sit for a length of time I'm real tight in my quads. 

Is it my quads that are still weak or is it the rest of the muscles around my upper leg area (Glutes included) that aren't strong and so I'm not stabilized.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1206 on: October 21, 2016, 02:14:23 AM »
Big Mike, just happened to log on today and read your post; I must confess I am at a loss for words. Your experience has been so different from my own, and my heart goes out to you!
Suspect that few of us here have the knowledge to give you the advice you need at this point. I think you need a really good PT to give you guidance. I am not impressed that you have been through PT and have been left without no answers to these questions! To start with, where are you? I am sure there are others who, like me, have read your post and don't know how to respond. Perhaps there is someone in your area who could point you in the right direction.
 You certainly seem to be a poster boy for getting back on your feet as soon as possible. I could not imagine being confined to a wheelchair for three months, and being self employed, eight months off work would have left me destitute!
I fervently hope that someone can give you the help you deserve.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 132
« Reply #1207 on: October 30, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
Hi everyone!!

At JohnK's suggestion I went ahead and posted here. *hi*. I posted the story of my completely torn quadriceps tendon here: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=67433.0

Anyway, long story short for those who haven't yet read the thread above: I completely tore my right quadriceps tendon in a bowling accident on August 28th, 2016. I had quad tendon repair surgery on 9/21, around where I discovered the awesomeness that is Knee Guru and read all 81 pages of this thread. Now I finally decided to sign up and start posting and share some of the anguish I am going through with my leftover necrotic skin from surgery.

I can't imagine those of you who have had to deal with bi-lateral complete quad tendon tears. I am so sorry to hear. Having one is hard enough and I only thank God I didn't tear both and that this situation isn't worse than it is.

TC

Offline TJA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1208 on: December 15, 2016, 04:54:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

Newbie here. Recently ruptured my R quad tendon at JumpJam indoor trampoline park in knoxville, TN. Had been there for an hour with no issues, then they told our group that our time was up. So, like an idiot, on the way out I decided to try dunking the basketball. So, I jumped 3 times, then tried to plant my feet on an angled trampoline under the basketball goal and when I went to jump, it just ruptured and I fell down.

Went to the ER, and surprisingly, they said they get 3-5 blown knees and ankles a week from that place. Ive talked to multiple people, even my boss, that have had friends or family members with severe injuries from there.

Anyway, I'm 1.5 weeks out from surgery, locked in extension. Pain is way down, but it feels like a gallon of fluid rushes down to my knee anytime I stand up, then I lie down and use my crutch to lift my leg up overhead and it rushes back out of the leg, very weird feeling.

See the surgeon in a few days, excited to see how the incision looks. Initially, he thought it was just a lateral tear, not full and planned to make a small incision on lateral knee, but after surgery said most of it was torn. So, I'm wondering if i'm going to have a Y shaped incision or something weird.

Right now, I'm toe touch weight bearing and very little pain. Thanks to you all, I know how long the road ahead will be. I already severely miss mountain biking, going to the gym, hiking with my dog and it sucks being stuck at home.

People with R quad tear/surgery, how long out was it before you were cleared to drive? I'm thinking when Im clear to bend to 60, maybe I can drive with it, but no idea.

thanks for all you uplifting stories. Seeing some of you saying you were able to get back to lifting weights and biking is helpful and motivating. I was initially, and still am, afraid I won't be able to get back to those things.

I also do home health therapy with mostly elderly people and have to kneel a lot, do maximum assistance transfers, basically picking people up to move them alone. Wondering how long it'll be before I can do that. Sounds like kneeling is going to take a good 4-6 months or longer, that really sucks.

Thanks again and take care!

Offline Denver55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1209 on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:44 PM »
Oh, man!  An entire forum dedicated to quad tendon tears?  Were have you been all my li-  uuhhh, for the last 6 weeks?

Me: 55 years old in Denver , Colorado USA. Have always been active.  I ski, bike, play tennis, golf, hike and work out  4x a week (circuit training). I'm in pretty damn good shape. Er, was in pretty damn good shape.  After all that I have never had any knee issues.  None.  Zero.  Not even a sprain.

So naturally I tear my right quad tendon TRIPPING OVER MY FREAKING DOG DOING YARDWORK. Can't even remember exactly what happened.  One second I'm running after my cocker spaniel after she grabs a leaf bag and undoes an hour of raking .  . . and the next second I'm on my back with my leg in the air screaming like a 12 year old girl at a 1964 Beatles concert.   Houston, we have a problem.

My wife to the rescue.  Maybe it's a sprain. "Uhhhh, no honey it's not a sprain. See that lump on my shin? THAT'S MY FRIGGIN' KNEECAP!"  I managed to get that out between the screaming. My wife: amateur orthopedic surgeon after binge-watching 5 seasons of "Grey Anatomy". 

Anyhoos, after an hour at the Urgent Care clinic, I'm in a full brace. 2 days later it's MRI time. One day later it's surgery for a completely torn right quad tendon. I was lucky - my ortho is top notch and does the knees for the local college sports teams. She's a pro and was very excited to do the repair.  "These are so much more fun than ACL's - those are so boring!".  Right on doc - I'm here for you.   Where's the damn Oxy?

Right.  Oxycodone.  I'll get to that.  So after 2 hours of surgery, I wake in a full brace, bandaged up and loopy as hell. 2 pudding cups and I'm on my way home.

Gotta say . . .  the first 3-4 days were like a scene out of "Misery".  I'm gulping Oxy like Milk Duds and trying not to move.  Because it hurts like a SOB and my wife is starting to remind me of Kathy Bates.  Yeah, I'm feeling pretty oooogy.   

After that it gets better.  I'm moving around in the crutches and as long as I don't bend my leg . . .  it's all good.

The bathroom you say?  Well, that wasn't a problem (much) because Oxy - while providing 24/7 pain killing deliciousness  - also constipates like nothing I've ever had.  Hoover Dam had nothing on me.  Which was fine because - as I found out 5 bags of prunes later - sitting on the toilet was just this side of the Apollo moon landing in terms of degree of difficulty.  I'm calling out descent updates like Buzz Aldrin and the bathroom is starting to resemble a chamber of horrors. 

But it's now 6 weeks post-op.  I'm walking crutch-free in one of those adjusting braces.  ROM setting is open and I'm feeling better every day.  Driving was a HUUUUGE step forward.  Doing the PT exercises at home and my ROM is pretty close to 90.  Can put on my own shoes and socks and getting up and down stairs OK. Gotta do it one step at a time but it's coming.  The stretching exercises are challenging but it's part of the deal.  The doc says I'm doing great.  Walking limp-free with a brace feels pretty good. 

I know I'm in for a long haul, but reading these posts makes me feel a whole lot better just knowing I'm in good company.  I will never take walking for granted again.  I just want to feel normal, you know?

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays to everyone.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1210 on: December 21, 2016, 03:41:10 PM »

Hi Denver 55

Welcome to the exclusive RPT club on KneeGuru.

You will have realised that you have sustained a very rare and serious injury. A long haul to recovery with lots of patience and PT in front of you.

I would suggest that you click on the undermentioned thread as it contains various documents covering the knowledge of your injury and the rehab process. Perhaps six months or more.

I noted that you have tried to drive - note that unless your OS has authorised this - don`t try and be clever and try to drive as you may be in conflict with your car insurance Company.

Please ask questions - remember PATIENCE is required.

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Denver55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1211 on: December 30, 2016, 06:55:27 PM »
Thanks for the info and links John.

Doc is fine with driving and I can do it with 100% comfort. Zero issues.

Right now, range of motion is the key and what I'm focusing on.

Offline Chiropractor2001

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #1212 on: December 30, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »
Hi Denver 55
What is your rom..
I am at 12 weeks and struggling with ROM as well..
I can only go up to 120-125.
My freind who is sport doc told.me.that we have only upto 6 months to get most of it back...if we continue going at it. With having small kids , I need to get as much as I can.

Offline Denver55

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1213 on: December 31, 2016, 11:13:01 PM »
Hey Chiro
[

I'm 7 weeks post op and at around 90-95 ROM. It's tough to figure the line between pushing myself and overdoing it. Every week it gets a little  better though so I just focus on incremental improvements.  I'm not gonna be trampolining anytime soon so I just try and do a little more every day and  trying to stay positive. Have never gone thru anything like this so I have no frame of reference.  The inability to work out is killing me more than anything else.

Stay positive man.

Offline TJA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #1214 on: January 03, 2017, 02:42:04 AM »
Wow, I'm really jealous of some of you. I'm 4 weeks out today and just bumped my brace up to 60.  Still on crutches but I feel zero quad contraction when walking,  still just locking the knee. There's no way I could see walking with the brace unlocked and no crutches in 2 weeks, which would be 6. Maybe my tear was worse so the MD wanted me to be more conservative.

Oh well, best of luck and one day at a time!