Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 411169 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1185 on: April 25, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »
Hi Mark

Applaud the fact that you have taken sound advice by reading the majority of previous posts - this has given you a great start to have knowledge of your injury and the rehab procedure.

Please keep posting and remember " ask questions" - lots of buddies out hre to help you.

Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Sunnyjim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #1186 on: April 27, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
Hi john ,
Thanks for your reply , I know I'm cursed now as I think I've scared everyone away from here lol !
My main concern with my knee besides having to build up a lot of wasted muscle is even though physio and c/o say I'm making progress at 12 weeks post op I'm expecting more of myself . I keep seeing patience and time being mentioned , I understand that to a degree . Yes , I've got rid of the crutches and brace 2 weeks ago , yes I've got a home bike now , doing my exercises , just joined a gym , gonna start driving my car next week ( missed that big time ) but it's my walking so slow with a limp and my knee won't let me go any faster that is one thing that's frustrating , the other 2 is the stiffness / tightness which is better after I've put heat on and stretched but how long does one have to keep doing this , like forever ?
 Also , lastly , my flexion when towel assisted and warmed up is approx 100* now at 3 months , but it reminds me of another post on here ( Conan ) who at 11 weeks said his knee seemed locked at 90* degrees and was as concerned as I am now about it . But at week 18 he had made up to 130* in 7 weeks ( hope that's me !! ) my physio can't say what will happen as she says she can't say .

I just wanted to ask anyone on here ,
Is there a time frame when you can't make anymore progress with increased flexion or could it improve up to 12 months or so or less
I should be grateful for what I've got at 58 years old , I'm envious of the ones on here Who say they can touch their butts with their heel !
I wish eh .

Anyway , it's early days eh
Any help , advice on my worries / concerns I'd appreciate loads ,

Thanks , for reading ( not as long this time ) and hope that everyone is doing well
      Mark

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1187 on: April 28, 2016, 02:08:33 PM »
Mark,

Please be patient.  I am 53 years old and 28 months out from my 1st set of surgeries and 13 months from the 2nd surgery on my left leg.  Even now I can still feel my legs getting stronger.  I still  limp a bit and going down stairs I am very careful (even though  some of that could be mental as who wants to fall again).

My right leg is relatively fine but still can be sore the day after a good workout (like today).  I feel it took close to 18 months before all of the scar tissue and discomfort in my right leg was gone.  I am hopeful that within 6-9 months my left leg will be pretty much normal but with 2 surgeries and the scar tissue that goes with that it may take longer.

The stiffness in the morning is normal per my PT.  When you don't move your muscles for an extended period of time this is what happens.  I still have it but I had some level of stiffness in my knees in the morning before I got hurt.  It did get better over time for me.

Everything should get back to somewhat normal in time.  At least for me I can do most of what I did before though I accept the fact that my skiing career is officially over (I hadn't been skiing in close to 25 years anyway).

Good Luck.

Be Patient.

Be Positive.

Take Care.

Bob.
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1188 on: April 28, 2016, 03:15:41 PM »
Mark, I did the double trying to fly down stairs a little over 2 1/2 years ago. I am not back to where I was before, but at least I am not in a wheelchair or using the walker for the rest of my life. I find with the double that I can't stand for long periods of time. I know my knees are there every step I take, not pain, just a stiffness or tightness feeling. I can bend my knees back as far as before the trip. Going down stairs and declines are still a bit unnerving.  At almost 60 I am really happy that I will be able to walk my only daughter down the aisle this June. Keep working at it, do the exercises your PT gives you and things will get better. Also John is a fantastic resource. Check out the links he provides here, they are a wealth of information he has compiled. Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Sunnyjim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1189 on: April 28, 2016, 09:43:22 PM »
Hi fellas ,
Thanks Bob , thanks Dave for your helpful posts regarding your double ruptures , wow , as if one isn't enough to contend with ! This is a real sucker of a injury ,it really makes my torn rotater cuff seem like a walk in the park compared to this . I'm glad I didn't have surgery on my shoulder coz that would have been just before this injury and I DO need my arms at moment .
John , how are you after all these years , does your knee still affect you in anyway ?
Think ,even though we've all suffered the same injury,we all seem to have different time scales of healing which could also be related to our life styles before and after the injury .ie- I smoke , and I couldn't stop before my operation when I knew it would help with the healing after , due to better circulation and more oxygen getting into the wound site , I'm going to have a go next week ( better late than never ) .
I found myself last week also cutting the grass using the lawnmower as you do , but found myself starting to kneel down to attend some flowers and had to stop myself suddenly as my left knee let me know that I can't do that . Scary if I'd knelt quick without thinking , don't know if my leg would have snapped in 2 !

Times like that , and as you say Dave , Stairs I'm very careful , quad not strong enough , so use handrail , up and down , found myself looking at the weather forecast more as well to see if any ice / snow due !
Actually tonight it says Icy /cold night , it's nearly may for goodness sake .

Anyway , thanks again John , Bob , Dave and may you also take care and stay safe ,

Best wishes everyone , Mark

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1190 on: April 28, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »
Mark in regards to kneeling, they drilled holes through my patellas to reattach the tendon. When I go to kneel it is torture. For a "good" Catholic boy, that sucks as I have to sit down after a minute or 2. Also gardening is no where near as fun as it used to be. I find myself sitting on my keister to tend to the garden.
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1191 on: May 03, 2016, 02:50:32 AM »
Congratulatios Dave. As you are about to do, I walked my daughter down the aisle 13 months after surgery. Must say I never gave my knee a thought as I led her down a winding staircase!
Two years and nine months post accident the knee still feels stiff in the mornings but it in no way affects my daily activities.
Mark, the harder you work, the better will be the results. Be patient,yes, but try to push yourself to rebuild the muscle. I am 68, still working, and hike at 85% max cardio, for an hour, four times a week. I may never get back to my pre rupture levels, but I'm certainly going to try!
Good luck all.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Sunnyjim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1192 on: May 04, 2016, 09:47:48 PM »
Hi there guys how's it goin ? Stuart you sound like you've looked after yourself through the years which has probably helped in your recovery and doing the things you still enjoy , keep it goin .
Dave , yeah , kneeling , I was in the garden again today in the sunshine and its those times I have to constantly be aware that I can't fully kneel down , I sort of do a half squat bending at both knees to attend weeds etc , it's a pain in the butt as they say and hopefully with TIME and PaTIENCE I too will be able to bend my knee back as far as it went before this injury like you say you can . I'm goin for my 3rd visit to the gym tmrw , enjoy it , I've been on the cross trainer , bike , treadmill so far , try quad machine tmrw as well . Also been enrolled to a knee club where they get you doin different things for 3 minutes each section ( it's also good ) my physio said I've got scar tissue above the knee which he and I are working on as it can affect flexion and movement of the knee .
I am hard on myself and always expect more of myself but don't want to be doing all these things 24/7,
There's other things in life as well that needs attention !
Anyway , till next time , keep posting guys and Thankyou all , take care and stay safe !! Mark

Offline Sunnyjim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1193 on: May 16, 2016, 11:00:52 PM »
Hi guys , Yorkshire lad ere . Quiet on this thread . Just thought I'd update latest on my recovery . It's 4 months since my operation and I'm seeing consultant on 26th may ( next week, I've never seen the surgeon who performed the op which has puzzled me ) I'm hoping that he will sign me fit to go back to work early June which will have been 5 months off work as I was misdiagnosed and then had to wait for a bed available , which is why I had to wait 12 days for my operation . My surgeon did see me for 5 minutes before the operation and asked me how and when i slipped on black ice.
When I said 12 days ago he replied thats ok , and that there can be problems if the injury isn't operated on sooner than 30 days after the injury . Having said that I'm really concerned and it is getting me down that my knee can be so tight, stiff before my daily exercises, stretches , bike , and my walking is slow with a limp ,I try and try to get my bad leg to bend like my good leg as I walk , it gets harder the further I walk .its worst I think just below the knee , it sorts of tightens up , my physio says it's because it's tired ! How can it be tired after only 10 minutes walking , I know I've heard patience , time , it's a marathon not a sprint etc but any one got any encouraging help , advice would be great to keep me on right track .
Before I go , just wanted to say that I've got a 30 day trial of a device called flex pulse Which is a portable magnetic field therapy device , supposed to be great at helping heal lots of ailments like this , that's how desperate I am . If I do buy after 30 days trial it will cost 800 !

Anyway please any of you guys , advice , help in my issues would be most appreciated !

Stay safe and take care all , Mark , till next time and get posting eh !

Offline Pillsy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1194 on: May 18, 2016, 09:16:19 PM »
Hi mark, I live in Essex and I am on day 2 after the operation. On Sunday I slipped off a step and couldn't get up. I went to A and E and they diagnosed me with a rupture of the right quad tendon. I had the operation on Monday morning and it is now Wednesday night. The information I received from the hospital was a bit vague and I too haven't seen the surgeon who performed the op. I am a 52 year old P.E. Teacher and I really want to get back to work and play my sport again. Do you have any advice on the early stages. Perhaps something that you would have done differently? I really could do with some guidance. I'm worried about the whole situation!!
Cheers
Pillsy

Offline Sunnyjim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1195 on: May 19, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
Hi pillsy, well you've found the right place to be , even better for you that your injury was diagnosed correctly from the start ,and surgery so soon . ( I was misdiagnosed and had to wait for a bed on trauma list ,so was 12 days after my fall on black ice that I had surgery . I was in hospital 3 nights coz of pain management ! Are you still in hospital or at home ?
Pillsy , it's a rare serious injury and it's a long haul to get well again but you will get there , follow your physios advice and do the exercises when you start rehab everyday . The best thing I did to learn about this injury was read all the posts from page 1 , yes as far back as 2003 ! I gained a lot of knowledge doing that and what to expect in my recovery . I'm only 4 months post op myself and striving more to get better ( I've had dark days when I won't deny that I've cried because of this injury but it does get better with time and patience )
As you can't rush your body to heal , just one day at a time . I take it you will be in a brace ( with dials on the side to adjust how much you are allowed to bend your knee gradually ) mine was set at 30* degrees , then 60* then 90* then unlocked eventually I also had 2 crutches first 6 weeks .
Anyway , hope this helps you abit , share more of your story on here and ask question , there's some great people on here who will help you as I will try to do .

Till next time , take care and remember that everyone heals at there own speed , it's a marathon not a sprint ! Lol , mark  :)

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1196 on: May 20, 2016, 04:36:52 AM »
Pillsy, best advice I can give you is to take it easy for the first week or so, to let your body recover from the surgery. Use this time to do some research on PTs in your area. Forget the surgeon, his job is done! Find a PT with experience dealing with this particular injury, and preferably one with an aggressive bent. I would think, as a PE teacher you should be in good shape, which pays dividends in recovery.
We are all here to help, if only to give advice, and act as sounding boards. Good luck.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1197 on: May 27, 2016, 04:02:57 PM »
Hi Pillsy

WElcome to KneeeGuru where lots of people have sustained similar injuries.   Suggest that you look for the following web page

Ruptured Quadriceps/Patella Tendon/Surgery - you will find may buddies on  this page who have sustained similar injuries.   You may have realised that you are in for a long haul to a decent recovery - perhaps a minimum of six months - remember PATIENCE is essential and read as many previous posts as possible.   Likewise, click on the undermentioned webpage - it contains a number of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru.

Keep posting - Take care

JohnK/ Manchester UK
 https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Sunnyjim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1198 on: May 28, 2016, 06:00:25 PM »
Hi guys , Bob , how are you doing ? I was reading your post from April and you mentioned how long you had trouble with scar tissue ( 18 months ) was this at the injury site above the knee ? Just I have a lump of it above my knee ,and I'm sure it affects my mobility/flexion of the knee . When I sit with my knees bent , on the good leg it's flat above the knee but in the injured leg it's like a large hard pad of it above the knee . When I asked my consultant would it go with time and all the other things he said its there for good coz it's part of the muscle .it has give me pain sometimes but seems to be getting less painful . Obviously he also said my injured knee will never be like it was no matter what . ? Would you tell me if your scar tissue was the same and if it just dissolved/disappeared ?

Pillsy , are you ok ? As you only posted on here once and not to be heard again , it would help you to get involved in this thread , or are you still catching up from page 1 ?
I've been thinking if you're doing ok that's all ?
    Take care all , and please post , mark
Ps ) been discharged from hospital and go back to work on 5th June ,
Been off since 15th January!

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1199 on: June 07, 2016, 06:43:18 PM »
SunnyJim,

I am doing pretty well.  Back to bowling pretty much full time and I surpassed 200 lbs on the leg press a couple of days ago.

As far as the scar tissue my right leg is fine I believe, at least there is nothing noticeable and there is no pain to the touch.  My left leg (the one with the 2 surgeries) is a bit different.  I have what could be best described as a "knot" on the outside just above the knee.  Since this is sensitive to the touch I am pretty sure it is scar tissue.  I continue to work it in hopes of it receding and I believe eventually it will.  I agree that it is restricting my mobility/flexion.  Since it took about 18 months for the right leg to clear from 1 surgery I figure I need to give the left at least that much time.

Good Luck and Take Care.

Bob
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

support