Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 411175 times)

Offline bowlermk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 4
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1170 on: August 06, 2015, 10:47:10 PM »
You are a little south of me. I bowl and coach out of Howell. I also do a league at Manalapan Lanes. At this point the right leg (the injured leg) doesn't have pain, but I just don't feel steady sometimes. The doctor and physical therapist said I just need to build up muscle. I had Meniscus surgery on the left knee years ago and I thought that was hard but I am getting very frustrated that 4 months after I am still nowhere near 100%.  Having been through this before do you know anything I can do to help myself?

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1171 on: August 07, 2015, 06:16:24 PM »
Maybe it's different for 1 leg surgery than 2 but I was told to expect total recovery to be about a year.  Anybody with a single surgery want to weigh in?  With my 2nd surgery on 4/1 my left leg is the best it has been since the original surgery 16 months earlier.  In this case my leg was only immobilized for 4 weeks and not 6 1/2.  Even still I struggle going down stairs and I feel the strain going up I can tell I am getting stronger.  I am hopeful I will be well enough to bowl starting in January.

The steadiness in the leg will come back in time.  My PT from my first stint in therapy (I have a different one this time as the original just had a baby) and she told me it was nice to see me walk and not look like I was ready to fall over at any moment.

The best advice I can give you is be patient and listen to your body.  Ask the PT and OS any question you have as they are your best resources.  They have met you and worked with you and I haven't.  If you re-injure yourself you could be looking at a 2 year recovery.  Again I really think the 3 or 4 months was extremely optimistic but I could be wrong.

Good Luck.
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline bowlermk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1172 on: August 07, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »
Thanks for your advice. I can bowl with little to no pain in my right leg. My left knee with all the arthritis is another story. Ibuprofen and Tramadol for that. Since I coach juniors on Saturday morning, tomorrow I am going to try to get through 3 games and see how I do. Keep your fingers crossed.

Offline bowlermk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1173 on: August 10, 2015, 02:29:58 PM »
Just an FYI - after coaching a league full of kids for a little over two hours I bowled. The first two games were 190 & 211. Unfortunately after that my arthritis (left knee, not the one that was injured) and 3 months of inactivity caught up with me and I went down hill quickly. I was able to fill frames till the third game but with pain  and fatigue. I need to keep working on building up the stamina. Second FYI - while stairs are still a problem I counted the stairs on my commute into work this morning. About 100 and I will have the same amount going home later. I do this 4 days a week. It's harder than PT ever was! :D

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #1174 on: August 17, 2015, 04:41:21 PM »
Wow, 100 steps each way, twice a day is significant!  As a "1-leg" surgery guy, at 6 months plus 1 week post op, I still have issues with a standard flight of stairs in my house or at the office.  On a straight run, I can walk reasonably well, almost like normal and not appear to have just had a 3-martini lunch haha.

I'm still feeling pain in the repair location (expected) and now more of it in the knee (somewhat unexpected).  I was expecting the knee to get stronger, but from what I've read, the cartilage damage that was also sustained in my accident could be the culprit as it was not remedied during the initial repair.  I did twist the knee a bit this weekend slipping on some grass, so it's a little more sore than usual.  Despite being released from PT and doctor care 2 months ago (thank you insurance company!) is still the most frustrating part of the whole process as I am still unable to run, ice skate or kneel on the injured leg, so I'm going back for a second opinion.  Need to start the process with my primary care physician this week, will provide updates as it goes.

My feeling is that I may have an arthroscopic repair in my future, we will see.....
RQT "near complete" tear 01/11/15
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
Surgery to Repair 02/10/15
PT began on 03/20/15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1175 on: August 21, 2015, 10:07:14 PM »
20 Months after my 1st surgeries and less than 5 months after my 2nd I am out of insurance covered P.T. visits.  The next few weeks I will be on my own before I go back 1 more time in 2 weeks at the "self pay" rate.  I was given permission to lift weights (but not too heavy) with my legs and a set of exercises to do.  I actually feel pretty good.  There is some soreness the day after any new exercise is introduced but that should be expected.  There is no real pain anymore and hopefully the new regiment will have me back to "normal" soon.  Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement I've received here.  Good luck to anyone and everyone who are still dealing with issues.  Will try to check back in after me next P.T. visit.

Surgery 12/21/13

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1176 on: October 01, 2015, 03:10:57 PM »
Today is my 2 year anniversary of trying to fly downstairs and doing the double. Surgery was the next afternoon. Things are going as well as can be expected. Stairs are better but I don't like going down the ones without railings. I have found that I can't stand for an extra long time without finding a place to sit. Otherwise I am thankful for not being in a wheelchair or using a walker for the rest of my life. Thanks for all the support and suggestions in the past. And a big thank you to my friend across the pond, John. You have been a great resource and I was very grateful you responded to my email as I needed the support you gave me. Thanks again, all. Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1177 on: October 01, 2015, 06:58:48 PM »
Hi Dave

Elated with your posting with thanks - that`s what KneeGuru is all about - we all help each other with our experiences -  I am 12 year down the line, and still have problems - just got to live with it and be thank full.

Best Wishes

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline bowlermk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1178 on: November 28, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »
Ok, so I am now 7 months post op and back to most activities. the knees still hurt while going down stairs but a lot of people have told me that will take a loooong n time to stop. As I have posted before, I am a bowler and the good news is that I am bowling regularly in two leagues now and recently shot a perfect 300 game. I just wish I felt that good all the time.

Offline BrianMW

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #1179 on: February 01, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »
Hi Ted

Welcome to the RQT thread on KneeGuru - you will do well by reading previous posts on this thread - lots of buddies out there to answer your questions.   
 I have sent you a set of documents which I have compiled over the years - Read with care, and I hope will give you a further insight to your injury, together with the rehab process - a long rehab in front of you.

Keep posting

Best seasonal greetings

JohnK/ Manchester UK

Hi John
I have found this note and have been following the other posts too. I am 69, reasonably fit (cyclist) and snapped my left quad tendon about 10 days ago. The initial cast is due off tomorrow whe should get the rom leg brace. I should like to see the documents about recovery which I think you have sent to others. The posts here have been very useful in helping me understand the injury and that into be patient!
Many thanks
BrianMW

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1180 on: February 01, 2016, 05:51:46 PM »
Hi Ted

Click on the undermentioned thread - the rehab is very similar for RPT or RQT - Remember patience is the key word - keep posting

Best/JohnKManchester UK

Quadriceps & Patellar Tendon Rupture
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1181 on: February 05, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
I can't believe it has been 6 months since my last update.  My 2 year anniversary came and went without any issue and the 1st anniversary of my 2nd surgery is about 8 weeks away.  There is only occasional discomfort from what is probably quite a bit of scar tissue, mostly in the left knee where there were 2 separate operations.  Walking up steps is becoming 2nd nature as long as I am not carrying anything on the heavy side.  There are also times after a good workout where the legs are still to tired to go up properly.  Down is getting better as long as the steps aren't too steep and I focus on what I am doing.  The best news is that I went back to bowling (American) a few weeks ago.  My legs work pretty much as they are supposed to worked though I sometimes I look like a guy who hasn't bowled in 2 years.  1st night back in league I as a sub I managed a clean set and a 227 average.  Last night wasn't as successful (it wasn't bad either, just ordinary) score wise but it still feels good to be back.  Good Luck to everyone who has had to deal with this less than fun injury and thanks for all of the encouragement and advice.

Take Care.
Surgery 12/21/13

Offline jcolarelli

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1182 on: March 14, 2016, 08:49:38 PM »
Good update DBT!  I am now 13 months post-op and I continue to have pain and stiffness in my right knee.  Not sure if the cartilage damage I sustained with my original injury (that went untreated) and general arthritis are to blame for this, but it's still there.  Can't do pretty much anything without being wiped out the next day.  The pain & swelling that I have is around the repair site, with the pain continuing through the knee and below.  It's not excruciating, but it's always there.

I can get around walking ok, but steps are still a challenge.  I went for a 2nd opinion 6 months ago and was told that it is what it is, take the time to let it heal.  Then was given the pitch on the orthovisc gel shots to help alleviate the pain in the knee.  Tried that with the left knee when I tore my meniscus 3 years ago, but since it didn't work then, I didn't want to try it now.

I know I'm not getting any younger and breaking down, but I'm thinking that a 3rd opinion might be warranted at this point.  Would appreciate any thoughts that folks might have.  Let me know thanks!
RQT "near complete" tear 01/11/15
MRI to confirm 01/23/15
Surgery to Repair 02/10/15
PT began on 03/20/15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1183 on: March 24, 2016, 07:01:01 PM »
I don't have any real pain to speak of.  There is/was soreness from the scar tissue but that has completely dissipated in the right knee but still exists in the left.  My right leg is at 27 months post op and my left is 27 and 11.5 months from each surgery.  I do not have any issues with swelling in either knee.

There is some stiffness after I sit for awhile and when I 1st get up in the morning.  I have very few "next day" issues.  I spent 30 minutes on the crossramp machine last night and I feel fine today.  I also bowled 12 games last Sunday and felt fine the next day.  There is some muscle soreness the day after I increase the weights on my squats/leg presses/leg extensions but that is pretty much normal for anybody.

I would certainly get another opinion.  Prior to going back for my 2nd operation I saw 3 different doctors.  I can't speak for anything about the arthritis though or how that might affect your recovery.  Same is true for the torn meniscus.

Good Luck.  I hope everything works out.
Surgery 12/21/13

Offline Sunnyjim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1184 on: April 25, 2016, 06:34:20 PM »
Hi everyone , phew , just read all 79 pages of this thread, so done my homework .im Mark , 58 yrs old and from West Yorkshire .unfortunatly I slipped on black ice taking the dog out 15th January 2016 . I'll echo what many people have said on here ( wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy ) . I live with a full torn rotater cuff as well but that's nothing compared to this . On the night it happened I slipped ,I tried to get up twice and fell down twice more , luckily I had my mobile phone and called my partner to come and take me to a and e . Off course I was misdiagnosed , saying it was a fracture/ ligaments , I didn't know any better.
Didn't show up anything on the X-ray . Sent me away with an appointment in 5 days , 2 crutches and in a Velcro fitting brace . I went to that appointment and the doctor said he didn't need to do a scan as he felt above my knee , told me what I'd done and I would need surgery . I couldn't stand the thought of my knee bending too much as it hurt like hell ,took the brace off at bedtime ,but kept a bottle to wee in by my bed as going to the toilet was very hard even with 2 crutches as I couldn't put any weight on my left leg ,it wouldn't support me .
Anyway ,I had to wait 6 days for my operation due to waiting for a bed being available (nhs ) I'll cut a long story shorter , I was scared , had general anaesthetic to put me out ,when I woke up recovery the pain was the worst I'd had in my life , I was kept in 3 nights when they said I'd be out same day but kept in for pain management . When I came out , I was given crutches and a brace with dials on that was set at 30* degrees and told to go back in 2 weeks .at that appointment I couldn't lift my leg at all off the table ,he did he would sort out physio for me . By the way , I've never got to see the consultant who performed the operation in me ( only for 5 minutes before the op ) he does not see people , I've only been able to talk to his secretary . you get to see different orthopaedic consultants ( they all work together ). so it was 4weeks brace set at 30 * then it went to 60* for 2 weeks then 90* for 2 weeks and after that they unlocked it .i have 1 crutch at home now brace and other crutch I left at hospital 2 weeks ago .
So at this moment in time I'm trying my best to stay positive ( when it's been a nightmare ) I've got a lot from reading through all your posts on here . I find it hard to go on sometimes .

I started nhs physio 6weeks after op (waited around at home for physio appt for 2 weeks not knowing what I could /couldn't do with my leg .also started with a private sports physio who I thought was gonna snap my leg in 2 with the pressure he put on my knee bending it at week 10 post op . he said it needs to be done !
I asked him to back off abit ( was I right ?)
I'm doing all my exercises at home like a robot , heel slides and all that , just got a home bike , joined a gym , but working it makes it swell and look bigger !

Everyday I wake up if I've slept and it's so tight and stiff at the knee and I feel what I'm doing is a waste of time and effort and not to bother anymore .

My rom seems stuck at 95*- 100 * with a warm up and towel assistance , physio says I'm doing good for 12 weeks post op ,but I think if I can't get rom what I've read some people on have now I never will . Walking is so slow and it tightens up above the knee where the op was the more I walk .

Any ways , sorry to waffle on !! But just wondered if anyone could give me any feedback /help to give me a sign that there is hope for me yet .

Thanks for reading ,and hope everyone is ok as I noticed the last post on here was 24 th March . Take care , Mark