Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473334 times)

Offline Juny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 16
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1080 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:24 AM »
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I saw my surgeon who told me the leg is healing fine. He had me bend the knee as far as I could without pain then he unlocked the brace to 40 degrees. I told him about the piriformis syndrome  and added that to my PT which he said I could start this week. All in all I was a happy camper.

Today met with my PT and from a cold start I measured 37 degrees and after a nice massage of the knee and some heel slides she measured 42 degrees. She hopes the Doctor will unlock the brace more next week.

I'm not sure if I should stay with her though. Yesterday when I was making the appointment with the Doctor's staff the lady set me up with another lady PT who she said was very good and had over 20 years of experience but then today when I showed up I was handed off to a young lady finishing her Masters degree with only a little over a year on the job. This kind of sounds like the classic age and experience over the youth, enthusiasm and innovative. Anyone have any insight?

VIC

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1081 on: May 07, 2014, 02:55:24 AM »
Juny,  normally  I would tend toward experience ( my age talking) but my insights gained from my own recovery, and my PT , is that new materials and techniques call for revised protocols for recovery. Younger practitioners may be less reliant on the tried and true ( with their inherent drawbacks ) and more in tune with new approaches. Really it depends on the practitioner!
  James, I saw my radiographs and the loose bodies are definitely bone chips. Trying acupuncture for the paraesthesia, physicians just suggest rest and anti-inflammatories. Want to be proactive. Juny I'll tell you if it helps!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Juny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1082 on: May 10, 2014, 06:48:42 PM »
Good afternoon everyone,

Stuart, actually my PT finished her Masters a year ago and so far she seems competent besides I haven't seen the other PT yet in the area working on other patients. I think I"ll stay with her. The bone chips you have is that from when the surgeon drilled into the patella? I hope it gets sorted out.

Anyway so far so good Tuesday I started at 37 degrees ROM and on Friday I had 50 degrees ROM. I know that from week to week 10 to 15 degrees ROM is the goal but I'm hoping for more than 15 degrees from week to week. Today I test drove my car and I had no problems at all, it helps that my drivers seat is electric and I can adjust the seat position quite a bit. The freedom felt good. My Piriformis syndrome is still with me but it has diminished somewhat since I started PT and I'm sleeping much easier which is huge. Everyone TC.

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1083 on: May 11, 2014, 02:30:01 AM »
Jung, good to hear that you are making progress, both with the knee and the Pyriformis . Yours sounds more like the classic sciatica than mine which has resulted in numbness on the front of  my leg from the groin to the knee. That being said the acupuncture is having some effect so will continue being tortured!
The bone chip I saw on the radiograph was the size of my little fingernail. I think it must have been ripped from the bone as the tendon tore away from the periosteum. More pain in that knee now than post surgically. Hard to tell how many issues are primary and  which are a result of changes in gait and posture
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Juny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1084 on: May 14, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »
Hey Stuart, I'm sorry to hear you're having more issues with the knee. I hope it improves.

Monday I saw my surgeon and he unlocked the brace to 60 degrees and said I can keep it unlocked all the time. Today I did PT and by the end of the session I had 72 degrees ROM. I think that driving is helpful but it is such a pain in the butt to get into the car and out of it.

I seem to be moving along well even the pinched nerve is not much of a bother anymore but I'm feeling some pain at the patella tendon. My PT said it could be because it's being used now that the quad tendon is pulling on the patella or a bit of tendonitis. Since I know I have problems with my tendons it could very well be that. Anyway now that I can walk with the brace open I'm working on normalizing my gait as well as my posture. Funny how the body has to re accustom itself to a normal gait and posture. TC everyone.

Juny

Offline WWBC1955

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #1085 on: May 15, 2014, 07:50:21 AM »
Hello everyone.

I have been lurking for a while reading some posts but decided to share my experience. I have also been on the Epicski forum.

I was assisting a neighbour to remove a tree when I slipped, my left foot stopped rather suddenly as the rest of my body fell and caught up to it which in turn pushed my knee straight up, heard a pop, followed by incredible pain and the inability to do anything with my lower leg.

We eventually located an old set of crutches and with a bit of effort and a great deal of pain I managed to get upright and into the back seat of my wife's car for the drive to hospital. Over the next day or so I was advised I had a partial rupture of my quadriceps tendon 2cm above the patella. I was put into a zimmer splint / brace, given some painkillers and sent home from hospital. I should mention this was a week away from a 5 1/2 week holiday to Florida and the deep south in the US.

6 days later I had surgery to repair the tendon (my wife keeps reminding me we were supposed to be a plane to Dallas that day). I was operated on at 7.30pm at night, the next morning I asked for a plastic bag to wrap around my brace so I could have a shower. The hospital PT came to visit me at 11.00am to make sure I could get around, I got out of bed and limped up the hallway and used the crutches to come back, she asked if I could negotiate a couple of steps I showed her I could. I was allowed to bear weight immediately as long as I had the brace on. I was sent home at 1.00pm, the blocker wore off the following day, I survived on Panadine Forte and Endone for a couple of days then that was it.

2 weeks PO I had my first visit with the OS and he suggested I start light PT as soon as I could but not to bend my knee past 90 degrees, I made an appointment the following day, my first visit I was at 32 degrees ROM (never thought that day that 90 degrees would be possible), I was told I could do leg curls at home with the brace off but had to lying face down as this allowed the quads to stretch a little but did not put any strain on it and under no circumstances was I to push past 90 degrees, my next visit a week later I was at 85 degrees ROM. We worked on it with manipulation and massage to try and avoid any scar tissue. I found sleeping with the brace on one of the most difficult things to contend with, I actually started throwing it across the bedroom in the middle of the night about 3 to 4 weeks PO.

6 weeks PO I was allowed to ditch the brace completely, increase my PT but not to push to hard.

I was driving my wife's car at 7 weeks PO as it was an automatic and started driving mine at 8 weeks PO.

I am now approaching 28 weeks PO have been back at work full time for 27 of those (lucky I was able to work from home the first 7 weeks), I can manage upstairs quite well although I get a little pain and tightness as I climb them and I am now walking downstairs and slopes without the need to hang on. I would say I was maybe 80% of the way there going downstairs and slopes. I still have quite a bit of atrophy in my quads but I am hoping that with continued exercise and day to day living this will come back. My ROM is now exactly the same as my good leg.

I still get the occasional feeling my leg is going to buckle but hopefully that will pass as well.

That is pretty much where I have been and where I am at now.

Wallace

Ruptured Quads 28/09/2013
Operated 4/11/2013

Offline Juny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1086 on: May 17, 2014, 03:38:42 AM »
Hello Wallace,

Welcome to the club. Although you are quite a ways ahead of me and not just in time but in speed of recovery. Your recovery sounds great. I wish I was coming along as fast but I just today was at about 90 degrees ROM in PT and that's 6 weeks post op. Anyway I wish you a continued recovery. TC.

Juny

Offline melynnm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 3
  • RQT 1/6/14
« Reply #1087 on: May 17, 2014, 01:54:32 PM »
I'd really appreciate your input on your exercise plan(or ideas) during a normal day...I'm 20 weeks PO with RQT. ROM IS coming along quit well.  My new PT said my quad is pretty good (started basic strengthing exercises about 8 weeks ago on my own, 1st PT was only worried about ROM stretching.) I was stretching & strengthening for about 1.5 hrs 2x a day until I returned to work 3 weeks ago.  Im a secretary and i dont get up & walk around as much as Id like.  Im going to PT once a week & I exercise for 1/2 -45 minutes each morning.  While at work I try to do squats, calf raises, moving my leg back and forth using one of those furniture moving pad on & off for about 2 hours, I also bend my knee & move the chair forward without moving my foot for ROM stretching through out the day.  When I get home I have to admit I'm not pushing myself to exercise long enough, I'm probably doing on average 45 minutes.  I guess I'm still trying to figure out that balance between my work schedule and my exercise routine.  I'd love to here any exercise ideas i can be doing at work and what exercises youre doing during your workout & for how long.   Trying to get remotived and need that push from you.  Have a great day, stay positive & safe.  Thanks for input.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1088 on: May 17, 2014, 05:20:06 PM »
Hi Melynnm

Welcome to the RQT club - 

You have sustained a very serious injury with a long rehab to follow. Suggest that you read a number of posts on this thread.   Ask questions - Click on the undermentioned thread - you will see a number of documents which I have put together with KneeGuru.

How did you sustain your injury?  Where do you live?

Ask questions - we are here to help you on the road to recovery

JohnK/ Manchester UK

https://www.facebook.com/QuadricepsPatellarTendonRupture

Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1089 on: May 18, 2014, 06:20:54 AM »

http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/knee/journals/ortho/%7Bddb6c68a-5e2f-4dc0-837f-16c67be856d9%7D/quadriceps-tendon-injuries
This link has an interesting take on how soon rehab should start. Certainly fits with my experience!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #1090 on: May 20, 2014, 07:49:47 AM »
Hi Melynnm

Sorry you're going through this but it's nice to have your company.

My instinct is that however much of a pain they are, stairs are in fact our rehab friend - always provided there is a handrail.  If you can get to walk up and down between one floor and the other at the office that's not a bad idea.  But beyond the workplace I also found swimming really helpful once secure enough to walk from the changing room to the poolside without disaster (or the sense of its imminence).  It's great exercise in its own right, but it is also quite liberating to feel "normal", in that swimming along at a moderate pace, you don't feel the difference in strength or security between the two legs anywhere near so much.  Biggest tip: cycling, whether real bike or stationary one in the gym.  That really does build your quads back up.

Wallace - sounds like you are making a textbook recovery and well done but a big shout for the evils of the leg brace in bed.  I absolutely detested it both times.  It often turned into a battle between exhaustion and discomfort, which as contests go is one to avoid.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1091 on: May 20, 2014, 08:41:06 AM »
Hi everybody

May I suggest once again a floor cycle - not expensive, but you can sit in your comfy chair and pedal away - it`s a boon to recovery.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Juny

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1092 on: May 20, 2014, 11:14:34 PM »
Hello Melynnm,

Sounds to me like you're doing really well in fact I know you're doing more than what I do and from the sounds of it more than most. I'm impressed that you do as much as you do and still think you should do more. During my work week I walk around a bit and I go to the gym 3 times a week all upper body exercises and I go to my PT 2 times a week but when I get home from work and I just want to get into my recliner and do as little as possible. In the mornings I'll do a few heel slides, massage around the patella and fire the quads but not much else. Listening to you I need to step it up. Thanks.

My doctor unlocked my brace to 90 degrees yesterday and said I could use a cane if I wanted to. My PT had me do different exercises and I was finally able to do straight leg raises. All in all I'm further ahead than what I had anticipated. Any way TC everyone.

Juny

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1093 on: May 31, 2014, 06:06:31 PM »
mojo here (copying fishy) 8 months tomorrow since I tried to fly down stairs and did the double. Things are progressing well. I went to the foot doctor and got a cortisone shot in my ankle for my arthritis and some orthotics. Both things have helped with my walking. I am back doing plays and the director is very accommodating when I told her I should not be dancing yet. Stairs are getting better. I have a few snap, crackle and pops from the knees on occasion. All in all I am happy with my progress so far. Thanks for all the support and laughs. Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #1094 on: May 31, 2014, 08:34:01 PM »
Well done Dave - only a true professional deals with a double quads rupture by getting back to hoofing it as soon as possible.

We had our joint 50th birthday party last night and I was impressed to discover that after sufficient non-sports hydration I too could dance.  Or rather, shuffle in the same jerky, Rick-Astley-on-Prozac way I have always done.  I'm reminded of the old joke about the guy who comes around after anaesthetic.  "Doc, will I be able to play the piano?" - "I can't see why not" - "That's amazing!  I couldn't play at all before."
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014