Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473354 times)

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1035 on: March 01, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »
Just as I open the reply box - after reading the words "fried rice" - the ad display that's been thoughtfully selected for me is "Order takeaway online!".  And perhaps I will, for the kind of technically delinquent diet for a recovery rupturee that won't be adding to my vitamin B complexes or fibre content. 

Anyway, it's great to hear about your progress, Sella, and I think you're writing to a receptive audience who shudder with a mixture of delight and fear at the phrase "I even tried kneeling", whether that's in memory or anticipation.

Last night I was at the opera but this time at the English National Opera.  It's a fine company with a magnificent building, but clearly the seating layout was established at a time of less general height and corpulence, and after about 5 minutes (first act was 55 of them) I realised I was in trouble.  50 minutes later I escaped to the bar, fully resolved to take advantage of the empty seats in front which allowed a sideways position.  In any case, survival in the first part was achieved through a mixture of flexing in the 10-15 degree arc allowed in that position and some rather vigorous self-massage which seems to have worked if only by distracting the pain receptors. 

Are any of you who are further down the road (or up the Grind) still experiencing pain when you're required to keep the knee at 90 degrees or more for any length of time?  This one I can't remember from last time because the whole ROM recovery process was so much slower that I think I hit 140 degrees several months later (relatively speaking).
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #1036 on: March 03, 2014, 06:11:25 PM »
3 things to report today, 2 of which are momentous!

1. The suns shining, its a beautiful day, its March and still no snow in Scotland!!!!!
2. I sat in the front of the car today for the first time since my mishap.
3. I achieved 90 degrees under my own steam at this afternoons physio session.

Guess who is a happy chappy?
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #1037 on: March 03, 2014, 08:16:24 PM »
Frank, our prayers are being answered....and I am not referring to snow in Scotland!  Man, great news!  You are on your own path to recovery, it is a path that will have many ups and downs....enjoy the success my friend.  Keep up the PT, listen to your knee, patience, and know there are others that care. 
  I am in week 43 and sore from work outs.  I am doing home repairs now and ladders are in my near future.  And life is good.... take care all my brothers and sisters (the RPT family is a diverse group, ain't we!).  Bob

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #1038 on: March 03, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
Nice one Bob, ladders ahoy!

We can't have been far apart in our accidents I think I'm week 46 or 47.

Im amazed at the progress I have made in such a short time, given the zero progress I was making! Im putting it down to sitting at the computer more, leg bent and pushing forward therefore stretching the tendon a fair bit.

In any case I am so damn happy to have hit the 90, its such a landmark amount!

We should get RPT/RQT badges made up!
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #1039 on: March 04, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »
Frank, I'm so happy for you.  Keep up the good work!
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
« Reply #1040 on: March 07, 2014, 07:09:44 PM »
James. Self massage to distract the pain receptors eh? Avert your eyes Sella.
 Spent much of the past two days in an Orthopedic ward with my 88 year old Mother who has sustained her third hip fracture, just to outdo you James. Certainly helps to put things in perspective and make one appreciate how lucky one has been!
  Keep up the good work everyone, especially you Frank, there will be no holding you back now!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1041 on: March 07, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
Stuart, I must admit I was expecting somewhat of a different outcome when you started your message with "self massage", then asking Stella to divert her eyes, well, naw, nevermind.....
I am beginning to get most of the feeling back in and around the scar area of the knee.  I have a rounder quad now on my left leg (RPT surgery 4/27/13), my right leg sustained a massive tear but the doc elected to just brace and pray...the right quad is healing but the quad, when tightened is lumpy all up and down the muscle.  That being said I am thankful I am making the progress I am making...if the muscle ain't pretty like it was during my marathon days....well, that just fine with me (I switched from speedo's to surfing shorts....long ago, LOL).  Take care all, keep working out (I'm on my way to the gym now), and be thankful (I know I am).... Bob

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1042 on: March 08, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
Bob. This is a Family website even if biased to one end of Life's scale. Still sitting around the Orthopedic ward, and I have to say that although there are no tendon ruptures I have been impressed with the information given to patients here prior to discharge. There is even a foot sling ( a dimple webbing strap with a loop) available for purchase at a nominal cost. Lots of advice that I had to find out for myself or through this site.
 Guess each facility is different, but for the less fortunate keep the advice and tips coming everyone!
  Daffodils now joining the crocuses(croci) in loom in my yard, so Spring is just around the corner!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1043 on: March 08, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »
This is ,I hope,one of the implements being recommended ,and available for purchase to facilitate sock removal and putting on of pants, socks etc. it would certainly have helped me.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #1044 on: March 09, 2014, 04:56:09 AM »
Stuart, I had one of those, but I used it mostly to pick stuff up and grab things.  I actually had a wooden rod with an S-shaped metal thing that I used to take off clothes.  My OT actually gave me a sock puter-on-thing, which was a 6 inch long U shaped tube that you would slide your sock over.  then it had two rope handles to pull up the sock as you slipped your foot in the tube and the sock came up.  I also had a two-foot long shoe horn, which was really helpful along with elastic shoe strings which when combined together made getting dressed alot easier.  My greatest tool however, being a double RPT, was the raised commode used along with two step stools to prop my legs on during the immobilization period when I had to wear those long-forgotten braces locked at zero.

tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1045 on: March 09, 2014, 04:23:54 PM »
Sock-puters on, raised commodes, foot slings!  I had it rough in comparison: the much used IKEA electric bed which raises at both ends ("Let's Play Hospitals") is all we have for lower limb patients in this house.

This morning was the first time since the injury that I went out as normal on a Sunday morning cycle ride with my friends and I even crawled very carefully up this, which is the closest we get to the Grouse Grind in South London cycling.  55km in and around North Kent, including a whizz past Charles Darwin's home, Downe House (let me assure you there is some going up involved with Downe House).  Everything seems to work, except that I am even fatter.  Of course he didn't mean it in quite this sense, but I feel I've made a strong case for survival of the unfittest.

L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1046 on: March 11, 2014, 05:55:08 PM »
Week 44 and the legs are working better.  I tighten my quads and start to see some definition (cottage cheese quads are not the look I was going for).  My left leg quad is larger than my right (I am a double RPT) and but only by an inch or so.  My left leg is definitely stronger than my right but I will use the gym  to correct any differences.  Walking and stairs are becoming more of a normal experience.  I have not tried running because of the occasional feeling of collapse (I do not question my legs, but my mind still says "stop".  I have to be cautious).  Regardless, it is getting better and I will continue on.  I want to post weekly until I head for a much anticipated vacation to Hawaii starting May 13th.  Coincidentally I return on the anniversary of my surgery (May 27).  I am dieting to loose the 23 pounds I have gained...I've lost 3 pounds in the last two weeks.  Hawaii beckons, wishing all my fellow RPTers the best....  Bob

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1047 on: March 11, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »
Bob. Good luck with the continued rehab and also with the weight loss. James and I both share your pain on the latter score, by the sounds of it.have to lose 10lbs myself before I meet the new In-Laws (Aussies, aren't they always fit ) at my daughters wedding in September! Anybody else have back issues? Mine are unrelated to my injury ,they are endemic in my profession, but an unwanted side effect of the resulting pelvic imbalance seems to be increased strain on my injured knee. The most discomfort in fact since the surgery, which still makes me pretty darn fortunate!
  Just one more thing for everybody to watch out for. Back issues are bad enough on their own without aggravating our other problems!
 Keep up the good work all and maybe we will have a picture of Bob in Hawaii to look forward to!
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #1048 on: March 12, 2014, 03:04:34 PM »
Stuart, I have had the pelvic imbalance and the back pain can be horrible.  My PT showed me a little trick to even out the hips and relieve the pain and get me walking more normal.  I would say my hips go out of whack about once a month, but once I fix it, the pain is gone.

TOm
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1049 on: March 13, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »
Back pain - yes.  It started when I got back on the bike and only disappeared after the first long ride.  Generally speaking exercise kills lower back pain for me, so it seemed a bit perverse for it to bring it on.

Actually, Stuart, 10lbs is exactly what I put on post-accident to now (but of course I need to lose a lot more than that).  Interestingly I chose not to monitor this until now, which I think means unconsciously I thought I just deserved some extra biscuits, and hang the consequences.  Until now... 
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

support