Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 473304 times)

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 252
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1020 on: February 23, 2014, 12:31:31 PM »
The secret of SE27! Was Frank there? How did the knees hold up?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 138
« Reply #1021 on: February 23, 2014, 05:00:12 PM »
Well, SE27 is just the other side of the hill from SE25, home of the Eagles (aka Crystal Palace).  No Frank - he had returned to Scotland, and about as far from Manchester in the other direction as we are.  But next season (if we're still in the division) I think we should organise a chapter meeting at the Palace-Man U fixture.

Knees not called upon on the pitch, fortunately.  Now sitting in just the one seat as opposed to two, but with a bit of jiggling around every time it gets a bit stiff.  However my other big news was getting on the (real) bike yesterday - surprisingly OK.  So today I've cycled over to my daughter's and back - about 12 miles - and basically everything works except that I know my left leg is doing a bit too much of the work.  The only weird thing was discovering 4 months' worth of winter potholes in one go. 
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013
Surgical repair 5 November 2013
First two leg bath 28 November 2013
First standard cycle commute into London 6 March 2014

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 108
« Reply #1022 on: February 23, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »
Well done James on the cycle ride, good training for your charity mayhem!

Im reading this chap...http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/courses/arthrofibrosis-12-part-course-frank-noyes-md/introduction-arthrofibrosis-part-1-course

and this one

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/courses/arthrofibrosis-rehab-tutorials-dirk-kokmeyer-pt-scs-comt

if anyone has any thoughts or experiences in this area
Ruptured (complete) quadriceps tendon 14 April 2013
Surgical repair 19 April 2013
Scar tissue surgically released 17 December 2013

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1023 on: February 23, 2014, 08:15:30 PM »
Hmm - both of those have high surface validity, Frank [social science jargon for "looks on the money to me, squire"].  Also just found this when searching for [arthrofibrosis + sequelae]:

http://drmillett.com/attachments/article/87/Rehabilitation%20of%20the%20arthrofibrotic%20knee.pdf

I wonder whether part of the answer is not just aggressive rehab physio, but also the composition of the aggressive rehab physio.  Clearly an awful lot of different potential permutations.
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1024 on: February 23, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »
Its going to be quite a discussion on Thursday with this new physio. I'll listen to his views, from what I now know from this site I should be able to tell straight away if he knows his onions or not!

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #1025 on: February 23, 2014, 11:37:13 PM »
Frank, I was so sorry to read that the 2nd op and the use of the CPM machine hadn't done the trick and restored your ROM. 

If you're still interested in other people's experiences with arthrofibrosis search for the posts by mum2xl.  Start at post 1 and work backwards and you'll quickly get the gist.  I've met and exchanged emails with this poster as we share the same physiotherapist.  Since recovering her ROM she's lost much of the weight she gained and is a different person.  We both agree that the mental and emotional impact is huge.

What I want to stress is really go for it on the physiotherapy.  A good physiotherapist can work wonders and apart from my own exercise bike I'm not using a lot of gym equipment.  I have a Swiss ball, some leg weights and a couple of Dyna bands.  Add in a staircase and a level walking surface and Robert's your father"s brother.  Little and often worked for me to start with.

In addition the physiotherapist used massage and a couple of machines (Kneehab and interferential) that I've mentioned before.

Have faith, God bless,

Sella

Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1026 on: February 24, 2014, 03:31:57 PM »
Hi Sella,

I will get to reading the thread you mentioned asap, I like the fact that through PT and despite AF she has regained ROM. I most certainly can relate to weight gain, my poor pooch has had her routine drastically altered since my accident, we both need some drastic weight loss now!

I intend to throw myself into the PT wholeheartedly, its sort of last chance saloon now.

With regard to gym equipment, its ironic really we have Technogym as one of our suppliers, they're probably at the forefront of the equipment field and yet I can't use it for my legs. I shall see how we progress and may possibly turn one of our downstairs rooms into a mini gym.

Watch this space!

Frank

Offline mojocpa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1027 on: February 26, 2014, 12:43:53 AM »
21 weeks since I did the double. Went to see the Doctor for my last vistit tonight, he was happy with my progress and told me to keep up with the exercises. I get alot of stairwork during tax season at my office and my wife and I are planning on walking around the block at night after work after tax season. Thank you all for the encouragement and insight. I plan on being a regular here for quite a while.  Thanks again, Dave J
Bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 10/1/13
Surgery 10/2/13

Offline vince99frc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #1028 on: February 26, 2014, 05:50:38 AM »
I was able to do 350lb leg press today for 4 sets of 20 reps.  I did smith machine squats of 225lbs for 4 sets of 10.  I did single leg press using 150lbs 5 sets of 15-20reps on my injured legs.  Surgery was July 1st 2013.  I still have swelling and the right knee still does not look like the left.  Trying really hard to get my VMO back, but I have a long way to go.  How am I doing?  Oh and there is still discomfort while doing the exercises.  Pain on a scale of 1 to 10 is probably a 3 to 5 when I am going heavy.

Offline Frank550

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1029 on: February 27, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
Well done Dave on your progress, it's the little bits of positiveness that build up your morale!

Vince I can't comment on how you're doing apart from it sounds impressive to me, the only thing I press via my legs is my own body weight when standing up etc, I'm a bit off any gym work yet! Keep it up though, it all sounds good, just listen to your knee, it will tell you if you're overdoing it!

I had my first visit to Scotland's Centre for Sports Medicine at Hampden Park this morning, I had a session with 2 PT's who seem to know their onions. They gave me a brief working over (they would like formal approval from my surgeon to work me hard) in that time I managed to achieve a ROM under my own steam, of 85 degrees, that's a number I have never achieved before so I'm on cloud 9 just now. I'm back on Monday and I'm very positive an upbeat that I may well achieve a 3 digit ROM before end of March and therefore be able to get into the front of a car once again! My only worry now is one of the PT's appears to enjoy inflicting pain!!

Keep the faith peeps,happy rehabbing

Frank

Offline fishy

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #1030 on: February 27, 2014, 04:37:11 PM »
Vince, your an ANIMAL....congrats on the heavy lifts.  Frank, we all are breathing a collective breathe of relief for you.  Keep up the good work!  I am in the middle of week 42 and exercising on elliptical, free weights and machines.  Being a double RPT I am aware of difference in each leg...my right leg tracks true on the elliptical, my left prolapses about a half inch...I am a runner so this is distressing to say the least.  I use the weight machines to build up my inner thighs....am hopeful that I can rebuild...originally the prolapse was about an inch so time will tell.  Take care all...patience,
Bob

Offline SE27Eagle

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1031 on: February 27, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
My internet keeps dropping but I just want to say along with Bob that it's brilliant news, Frank, and it's the kind of news that sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FobawwQzZ4

As for you, Vince - well, major respect.  I want to ask the PT about selective gym work on the right leg to speed up resymmetry (if that's a word).
L RQT 2 April 2007
R RQT 22 October 2013

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1032 on: March 01, 2014, 02:42:18 AM »
Bob. I understand Central Park in New York has had more snow than Anchorage this year, and I thought you had it tough up there!
   I am really feeling like a Sluggard here, having spent zero time in the Gym since discontinuing my PT at the beginning of January. It was costing me over 900dollars a month, with time off work. Be interesting to see how I compare with all the Gym rats down the road given my "greener" approach. Shinrin-yoku anyone?
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013

Offline SellaVee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 261
« Reply #1033 on: March 01, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
Stuart, does that come with fried rice or noodles?  Do you think if I stood between the two enormous conifers in my back garden it would do the trick?

Frank, I'm so delighted by your progress.  If the physiotherapists know what they're doing, put up with the pain. 

I went back to see my private physiotherapist to check I hadn't picked up any bad habits and I mentioned I had a little bit of a lag on my leg when I stretched them out in front of me while sitting on top of the bed.  She did some manipulation to stretch the tendon slightly and boy did that hurt.  Most of my sessions have been pain free but that one made up for it!  That was followed by some time on the interferential machine to help with the swelling.  It seems to have done the trick.  I'm better at coming downstairs and I even tried kneeling, very briefly, on top of the bed.  I've still got the wire in my knee and I worry about it.

Dave I, stair climbing and walking round the block will do wonders for you.

Fishy, have you had a physiotherapist look at your left knee?

I'm just thrilled I can walk normally after those dark days last summer.
Ruptured patellar tendon (avulsion fracture) 11 June 2013
Surgical repair with wire 5 July 2013
Wire removed 28 January 2015

Offline Stuart Rulka

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #1034 on: March 01, 2014, 06:33:44 PM »
Sella. Recommend Saki, and the conifers might work if you get out there and do burpees between them! Might want to wait awhile for that though.
  Frank, will keep fingers crossed that you make it back behind the wheel before your anniversary! Keep plugging.
Stuart Rulka
Complete RQT Aug2 2013
Surgery Aug3 2013
Resumed work Aug6 2013