Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 1413625 times)

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 218
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #6570 on: February 19, 2022, 06:59:36 PM »
Hi Justin

Floor cycle costs about £30/35 on Amazon, but dont start until your physo clears you about 8/12 weeks in a cast or brace.   Just sit in your comfy chair and pedal away.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline JustinEngland

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6571 on: May 06, 2022, 04:56:36 PM »
Hi everyone.

It's now 22 weeks since my operation. I can walk easily, use a floor cycle, bend the knee almost as far as my good leg etc.
I have a clicking sound when I bend the knee. I would not say it's painful but it does feel like it's bone touching bone. The physio says it could be the tendon clicking as it moves.
Did anyone else have this issue?
It's particularly bad when going upstairs or doing sitting leg raises. Whenever I lift the leg, it clicks.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #6572 on: June 28, 2022, 02:02:40 AM »
Hi everyone.

It's now 22 weeks since my operation. I can walk easily, use a floor cycle, bend the knee almost as far as my good leg etc.
I have a clicking sound when I bend the knee. I would not say it's painful but it does feel like it's bone touching bone. The physio says it could be the tendon clicking as it moves.
Did anyone else have this issue?
It's particularly bad when going upstairs or doing sitting leg raises. Whenever I lift the leg, it clicks.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Thread has died down, hopefully because we aren't injuring ourselves so much lately!

That said, clicking, completely normal. Even before I had my ruptures I had clicking. Loose patella, "sliding tendon" that sort of thing. I would say the surgeon did a perfect job on my right knee and if you put your hand over it on a sitting leg raise I can't feel or hear any "looseness" but my left knee, although not painful, clicks and feels like something being dragged over gravel at times. The tendon is just a little too loose. It doesn't really affect me in movement thankfully.

I think I'm coming up on 6 years in December. The pandemic took a toll on me and I gained about 25lbs and wasn't able to lift (all gyms were closed) for basically a year.  The last 18 months I have been working out regularly again but haven't had much luck dropping the weight, which is harder on my knees.

There's no chronic pain in my knees however and I'm so happy about that as I've experienced other chronic pain during the pandemic unrelated and that was a real downer. Luckily that pain has subsided with treatment and care and I'm feeling much better in general. I've been playing a lot of tennis and that was how I hurt myself so I'm always a little careful with any jump stops and cuts but hey so far so good.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6573 on: June 28, 2022, 06:29:13 AM »
Have you requested your OS to measure the range of movement ROM o your good and bad leg?

JohnK4221Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Steeshay

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6574 on: July 03, 2022, 10:32:57 PM »
Back on this forum after 10 years. Ruptured left patellar tendon back then playing football. Pretty much full recovery but always a bit weak. Never went back to football but golfing, running and hill walking. Of all things did the school sports egg and spoon fathers race and managed a bilateral rupture. Both knees operated on and surgeon happy. Back in ROM braces and at 30 degrees 2 weeks post op. No weight bearing and in a wheelchair. Anyone active on here done the same as wandering how ,inch longer recovery time may be for both….

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #6575 on: Today at 12:23:51 AM »
` that`s bad luck - however you will take extra  care  = keep posting

Best JohnK4221  Manchester UK 

Complete Ruptured Tendon