Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I just want to know what to expect!!!!  (Read 922 times)

Offline shmily

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I just want to know what to expect!!!!
« on: November 20, 2006, 04:11:14 AM »
If there is anybody out there that has had a High Tibial Osteotomy... can you let me know what to expect after surgery???? I am anxious to find out. My doc says he can release me to go back to work about 10 days after surgery. I have a desk job and don't have to do any walking except to the bathroom and to and from work. I imagine that I will need somebody to take me and pick me up. But my biggest concern is the pain. I can't take most pain meds. Gonna check on Toradol, which someone told me about. I am worried about the amount of pain. I am a do it myself kinda person.. I don't like people to wait on me. I can be stubborn and I think I am going to have to learn to give in. Just let me know anything that you know about this surgery. Thanks a bunch from my heart.  :D

knee deep in Goo

Re: I just want to know what to expect!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 12:15:17 PM »
You should really check out posts  or ask knee will be great.

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: I just want to know what to expect!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:43:09 PM »
Hi Shmily,

I had my TTT surgery in August 2003. It didn;t work for me personally but it is very successful for the vast majority of people. What I found was that the pain was the hardest thing to deal with. If you can't take most pain killers or anti-inflammatory drugs then your doctors should be able to come up aith a pain control plan designed specifically for you. When you have your surgery, you'll be kept in for a couple of days purely so that the staff know you can cope on your own at home etc before discharging you. If you end up in a lot of pain whilst still in hospital you should ask for pain relief. There isn't any point in being a martyr - even if you are a "do it yourself" kinda person.
You won;t be allowed to go home until you can prove that you can get about on crutches.

Once you get home you'll need easy access to the bathroom, kitchen etc so you can get yourself to the loo or get yourself a drink etc. It's not always easy when you're on crutches so for the first week or so I'd suggest you have someone with you 24/7. They don't have to do anything for you if you don't want them to but just having someone around, whether a friend or relative, can be very reassuring.

You may be either partial weight bearing or non-weight bearing (PWB or NWB). It depends mostly on the procedures and practices of your OS and exactly what type of Osteotomy you're having. Also, bear in mind that even if you're partial weight bearing, you shouldn't be up and about too much. Try to rest your leg as much as possible the first couple of weeks because you'll effectively be walking on a broken leg! Try to keep the swelling down by elevating, icing and taking meds if you can - and then you've won half the battle.

You may want to consider hw much time you'll have off work. Once you're back at home, think about the fact that even though you're recovering from major surgery, you won't actually be ill and so you may getbored very quickly. Get hold of some books or magazines to read, crossword or sudoku puzzles can take up a fair proportion of the day and video games (PS"/Nintendo) can keep you occupied for hours on end).

For me personally, I have to sleep in the afernoons after any surgery. It's just my reaction to the anaesthetic. It's not a problem - just inconvenient. So when people wanted to come and visit I had to put them off. Initially make a time when people can come to see how you are and if you're not feeling up to having visitors then you should say so. But as you get better, then you could invite people round at your convenience.

You should read some other posts too. When you go home, when you start physio, when you go back to work or sports are all personal things specific to you and your knee. These things will be discussed and decided between yourself, your OS and your physio. Before your surgery you'll probably have a pre-op assessment and this is your chance to ask as many questions as you can think of if you haven't already.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. When is your surgery booked for?

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline shmily

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Thanks for the info
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:28:29 AM »
Hi Laura
I am having surgery on the 27th of December as I wanted to get through the holidays.. I will have my assesment the day of my surgery since my surgery is so far away. it is about 3 hours from my house. They don't have a surgeon in Abilene that does an osteotomy.. My husband will be with me the first week and he understands that I want to do things myself, but he will be there to help me if needed. My daughter will drive me back and forth to work for a while since I won't be able to drive, so I have that covered.  I had an orthroscopy done a lil over a year ago and learned the crutches well then... but will have to retrain myself just a little bit.. My doc says I will be NWB for about 6 - 8 weeks..  I have read other post .. as well as yours.. and the pics of your knee look ... how do I say it.... horrible.. I am not sure what a TTT is but I was reading on some of your post and I honestly hope you are doing better.. I am sorry you are having such a hard time.. mine is a work comp issue so that is bad enough..lol  I was told I would have a 3 inch scar on the inside of my knee, unlike the one you have.  Thanks for the information .. I really do appreciate everybody's ideas and past experience.. I have been told by many to talk to knee.. not sure what or who that is.. but I will find them one day..lol.. this surgery is supposed to buy me time until I need a TKR.. hopefully 15 years.. that is what I am shooting for..

support